Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I love the idea that TLJ caused Solo to do poorly, rather than just the fact that Solo is an extremely bad film with a tonne of negative publicity preceding it.

It's certainly not the only factor, but it strikes me as a remarkable failure of pattern recognition to acknowledge no connection between a film having its legs collapse under it at the box office and the next film in the franchise losing millions.

And, you know, coming right after a bad film that lost a ton of money doesn't strike me as a promising sign for episode IX's box office triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

sponges posted:

TLJ was bad enough that it made me lose interest in the series.

I’ll still read the plot synopsis for Episode 9 on Wikipedia though

I'll be glad to roast Episode IX with a m8 when it comes to Netflix...... oh. Oh. Oh well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Solo is better than TFA and TLJ

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It has problems but there's like a core 45 minutes of good movie in there which is better than either main sequence film.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Harime Nui posted:

It has problems but there's like a core 45 minutes of good movie in there which is better than either main sequence film.

I dunno, TLJ has 152 minutes of good movie

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

I dunno, TLJ has 152 minutes of good movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It's certainly not the only factor, but it strikes me as a remarkable failure of pattern recognition to acknowledge no connection between a film having its legs collapse under it at the box office and the next film in the franchise losing millions.

And, you know, coming right after a bad film that lost a ton of money doesn't strike me as a promising sign for episode IX's box office triumph.
I don't know what IX's box office takings will be like. I suspect it will do well if it's a good film like TLJ and poorly if it's a terrible film like Solo.

I think an unexpectedly massive opening followed by a large dropoff might just be a feature of highly anticipated event films (Infinity War had a similar pattern). For a film that big most people have already decided if they want to see it or not before it comes out.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MonsieurChoc posted:

Luke does say something like "We're on the farthest point possible from the center of the galaxy" or something like that when C3P0 asks him about the planet.

“Looks like I’m going nowhere!”
-Luke, talking about staying on Tatooine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

“We’re on a road to nowhere, come on inside” -Luke Skywalker

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, that settles it then.

quote:

I’m going to whine about it for years on end like people do about MoS

I thought it was pretty good, except the middle, which wasn't. This firmly puts it in the top half of Wars in Space.

quote:

I'll be glad to roast Episode IX with a m8 when it comes to Netflix...... oh. Oh. Oh well.

It's on there right now, hurry friend

e: wait wrong one

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 1, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
"I just wanted to come here."

"To Tatooine?"

"Jakku."

"Okay. Why Jakku?"

"It's kind of embarrassing."

"Go ahead."

"I had a dream about this place."

"Oh boy."

"See what I mean?"

"Okay. So you had a dream about this place. Tell me."

"Well, it's the second one I've had, but they're both the same. They start out that I'm here, but it's not day or night. It's kind of half night, you know? But it looks just like Tatooine, expect for the light, and I'm scared like I can't tell you. Of all people, you're standing right over there, by that counter. You're in both dreams and you're scared. I get even more frightened when I see how afraid you are and... Then I realize what it is. There's a man in back of this place. He's the one who's doing it. I can see him through the wall. I can see his face. I hope I never see that face ever outside of a dream. That's it."

"So you came to see if he's out there."

"To get rid of this god-awful feeling."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode IX losing money at the box office can't happen but it would be the sweetest thing ever

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Luke does say something like "We're on the farthest point possible from the center of the galaxy" or something like that when C3P0 asks him about the planet.

"Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Episode IX losing money at the box office can't happen but it would be the sweetest thing ever

can't happen?

come now jeb, fellow c-spam poster. do you still think we are living in a timeline where things CAN'T happen?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The idea that Solo did comparatively poorly because of blowback against The Last Jedi and spells doom for The Next One could possibly make sense if viewers couldn't distinguish between individual Star Wars movies, but they notoriously do distinguish between them, and have done so angrily for twenty years.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

"Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Yeah, that's the quote I was thinking of.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Uncle Milton

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There should be head molds to go along with this so you can make those skulls look like them guys at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Monkey lizard (tm)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

The "OMG TLJ IS TERRIBLE AND RUINED STAR WARS FOREVER" crowd is not as big as their rampant shitposting would suggest. Episode IX is still gonna make mad bank, especially since there's another year and a half for the more reasonable of that fringe element to chill out.

Episode IX will probably be in the $700-900m range globally with my own expectation being around $780m. I think the best it can do is around the same as TLJ, which got as high as $1.3b (which was an under-performance regardless of what anyone says - the low-end expectations prior to its release had been closer to $1.5b).

I think it will play like a Pirates movie or one of the Hobbit sequels. Jumanji 3 will probably out-perform it.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 1, 2018

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Wheat Loaf posted:

Episode IX will probably be in the $700-900m range globally with my own expectation being around $780m. I think the best it can do is around the same as TLJ, which got as high as $1.3b (which was an under-performance regardless of what anyone says - the low-end expectations prior to its release had been closer to $1.5b).

It's impossible to predict anything when we don't know how it's being marketed. What we do know is, you can't sell tickets with the Star Wars name alone. Solo is such a huge bomb and failure that im surprised Kennedy still has a job, but I imagine she can't afford another clusterfuck before she "retires".

If I had to guess? Episode IX will make a litlle less than TLJ, $1b-$1.1b, with the caveat that it could easily do more if it's an actually good movie. If it sucks, Star Wars will go into theatrical hibernation for a few years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trump posted:

If I had to guess? Episode IX will make a litlle less than TLJ, $1b-$1.1b, with the caveat that it could easily do more if it's an actually good movie. If it sucks, Star Wars will go into theatrical hibernation for a few years.

Rian Johnson's trilogy at least will probably be quietly cancelled at some point, seeing as he will be blamed. I'm surprised it didn't go when they cancelled the Star Wars Story spin-offs post-Solo, to be honest.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 1, 2018

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rian Johnson's trilogy at least will probably be quietly cancelled at some point, seeing as he will be blamed. I'm surprised it didn't go when they cancelled the Star Wars Story spin-offs post-Solo, to be honest.

Thing is, nothing official about the anthology movies was ever put out after Solo. As far as I can tell, it's all insider info or assumptions based on lack of official information. My guess is anything beyond IX is very much on the back burner right now. A shame, because a properly made Kenobi movie with Ewan McGregor is what could save their rear end right now.

Thinking of it, it's obvious Lucasfilm/Disney knew they had a huge turd on their hands with Solo, and possibly TLF, considering no solid announcements had been made and any 2020 movies would have had to have been solidly in pre-production starting this year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that Rian Johnson's trilogy could start coming out in 2020, though as you say, it's only rumours at this stage. I imagine they won't want to announce it while they're trying to build hype for Episode IX, though, seeing as Johnson/Last Jedi is just bad publicity at this point.

Their big announcements since Solo have been the live-action TV series Jon Favreau is doing and Clone Wars coming back. Not so much about the movies.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 1, 2018

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
TLJ was a strange experience for me because as the movie went on, I liked it less and less. It kept outdoing itself with some new stupidity. When they got to the salt planet I just wanted the movie to end. It felt like a dream. It's a bad movie but I kinda appreciate its badness. Thanks to it I also no longer particulary care about Star Wars which is good.

Also the Jakku/Tatooine debate made me realize that jivjov and CelticPredator are the same poster.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

they cancelled the Star Wars Story spin-offs post-Solo, to be honest.

This never happened.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing I'll say about TLJ is that I've actually gotten a lot of mileage out it on 4k, it looks really good and it's one of the rare 4k discs out there that truly does recreate that feeling of having something projected in a theatre. So I've definitely appreciated it more and more at least on a visual level as I've seen the movie several times since picking it up. I'm really glad they seem to be going out of their way to put out high quality native 4k releases for Star Wars(Solo is getting one too), it's the perfect franchise to take advantage of the format.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Basebf555 posted:

One thing I'll say about TLJ is that I've actually gotten a lot of mileage out it on 4k, it looks really good and it's one of the rare 4k discs out there that truly does recreate that feeling of having something projected in a theatre. So I've definitely appreciated it more and more at least on a visual level as I've seen the movie several times since picking it up. I'm really glad they seem to be going out of their way to put out high quality native 4k releases for Star Wars(Solo is getting one too), it's the perfect franchise to take advantage of the format.

Too bad their soundmixes are flat boring discount offerings.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Trump posted:

Too bad their soundmixes are flat boring discount offerings.

Ah, yea that's actually the one thing I'm not really set up for, don't have a particularly good sound system for movies.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Basebf555 posted:

Ah, yea that's actually the one thing I'm not really set up for, don't have a particularly good sound system for movies.

It's actually pretty odd. The prevailing theory is, that they do one master for all home video channels, a so called "Multimedia mix", that is supposed to sound good on anything from your phone to a fully featured Atmos home system. Too bad it results in weirdly compressed and boring mixes with lacking bass response.

My guess is Disney doesn't give a flying gently caress about physical media (as evidenced by not releasing Infinity War and Solo in Dolby Vision, but offering DV on both titles through VUDU) and can't wait to open their own streaming service and stop releasing BDs altogether.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

can't happen?

come now jeb, fellow c-spam poster. do you still think we are living in a timeline where things CAN'T happen?

I'm trying to use reverse psychology

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

First time I ever played Star Wars Episode I Racer was on the PC, and since I grew up using Arrow Keys to move around, my first race was almost a 1:1 with the movie's turn of events, pushing all the buttons till you hit the one that makes you move forward

If anything deserves a remake, it's that - closest we ever got was how it played in Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

The Kinect version doesn't count

Never played Bombad Racing either

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

This never happened.

Well, they probably will do it soon if they haven't already.

As for Disney, they're in a position where their movies will be the biggest of the year (Avengers 4, live-action Lion King, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, all of which will probably do better business than Star Wars will) but it will probably look somewhat embarrassing for them that Star Wars likely won't be at the top.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 1, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, they probably will do it soon if they haven't already.

[citation needed]

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I still remember when they announced RJ's new trilogy before TLJ was even out. Overconfidence at its finest. The only reason i can think of that they might've done it outside of naked overconfidence was as a signal to say "Hey this upcoming movie is so good we already gave him 3 more"--but this doesn't make sense to do because it's Star Wars and everyone would have seen it anyway. Just bonkers what the higher-ups are doing over there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I still remember when they announced RJ's new trilogy before TLJ was even out. Overconfidence at its finest. The only reason i can think of that they might've done it outside of naked overconfidence was as a signal to say "Hey this upcoming movie is so good we already gave him 3 more"--but this doesn't make sense to do because it's Star Wars and everyone would have seen it anyway. Just bonkers what the higher-ups are doing over there.

Well they picked a good one; if any of the directors of Disney-era Star Wars deserves a trilogy of their own, it's Rian Johnson.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

jivjov posted:

[citation needed]

You seem very upset about people discussing/speculating about stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just want people to realize that "the sky is falling all the movies were cancelled" isn't actually a thing that's happened