Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think he was trying to force the blockage down by pushing real hard

Well, he succeeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Gromit posted:

Thanks for the ballpark pricing, that's great to know. If I want a house designed that would cost about $350k to build I should factor in about $35k+ on top for a great architect who will baby the project along from start to finish, as well as draw it all up? (I mean, obviously I'm going to ask my local guys what they charge but it's good to get some idea beforehand.)

$35K for to an architectural firm for design and consultation on a $350,000 home? At $150 an hour that is 230+ hours. What kind of money does the actual builder make? More or less than the architect?

Find your builder first. The best builders rarely advertise and are found by word of mouth. Your builder may have their own architect, engineer, and designers on staff. Once you find your builder and can determine a start time--then start to worry about finalizing the plans for your dream house. Rarely will a top notch builder be ready to start on building "next week"--expect a six to eighteen month wait for construction to start. Use the period before the construction starts to finalize your plans, agree on budget/sign a contract, and prepare the build site.

And if you have a vision for your dream house, make a rough drawing to show prospective builders. Use a sub-$100 CAD program or graph paper. If you already have the parcel of land, print out a topo map from your county's GIS too. This will reduce a bunch of the back and forth in the initial stages. Start taking/saving pictures of roof lines, finishes, landscaping, and interiors your like and hate--as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

HycoCam posted:

$35K for to an architectural firm for design and consultation on a $350,000 home? At $150 an hour that is 230+ hours. What kind of money does the actual builder make? More or less than the architect?

http://eyeonhousing.org/2016/03/whats-the-average-profit-margin-of-single-family-builders/

net 6.4% is an average according to that, the 10% ballpark I gave is not a net number... but that's not even a good number because that's the GC's profit. Each sub has his own margins. The true cost of construction and portion you're paying to profit is hard to determine.

To be honest though... most people want as much square footage as they can get. They don't want a nice design. That's why there's so many lovely boxes out there being built. It's built to a price point, not the design. That's an entirely different question.

quote:

At $150 an hour that is 230+ hours.

That's 6 weeks of work... do you think a well designed home takes less? If you're hand holding for a client and picking every finish and drawing everything, that's probably even a bit light.

quote:

And if you have a vision for your dream house, make a rough drawing to show prospective builders. Use a sub-$100 CAD program or graph paper. If you already have the parcel of land, print out a topo map from your county's GIS too. This will reduce a bunch of the back and forth in the initial stages. Start taking/saving pictures of roof lines, finishes, landscaping, and interiors your like and hate--as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

This is the shittiest lovely advice. Doing a graph paper design and showing "I like this" type stuff to a builder is how you get the abortions of homes we make fun of here.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think he was trying to force the blockage down by pushing real hard

So he was...using a plunger?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slanderer posted:

So he was...using a plunger?

You use a plunger by *gently* alternating pressure and suction to move the blockage about and break it up, so it clears naturally. It's not about using brute force, that's how you pop a pipe.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah if you think plungers are meant to be used like a ramrod then.. idk read a book

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

And don't even get me started on people using sink plungers to try to clear toilet blockages, smh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

And don't even get me started on people using sink plungers to try to clear toilet blockages, smh

Eh, not ideal but usually works just fine.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I tried that once out of desperation and it did not work fine at all. Made a trip to the hardware store to get the right plunger. I had the right plunger, but the rubber must have dryrotted because there was a nice crack through the thing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Eh, not ideal but usually works just fine.

Suppose it depends how flat your bog is

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: gently caress me I'm bad at reading threads.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our architect's fee was $20,000. He took over his father's remodeling/repair/builder business, and we were the first house he built from zero (less than zero- we had to demolish the old house first.)
The whole process took over a year and started with my notebook sketches. Lots of design changes were made after I looked through the parts catalogs and saw availability and prices. He also explained layout standards based on earthquake safety, wall thickness and plumbing efficiency.

We thought $20,000 was expensive but this dude was on-call for a year, did all the city paperwork, knows all the good contractors, and put up with my endless howabouting. He probably charges more/offers less customization now (≧▽≦)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

peanut posted:

Our architect's fee was $20,000. He took over his father's remodeling/repair/builder business, and we were the first house he built from zero (less than zero- we had to demolish the old house first.)
The whole process took over a year and started with my notebook sketches. Lots of design changes were made after I looked through the parts catalogs and saw availability and prices. He also explained layout standards based on earthquake safety, wall thickness and plumbing efficiency.

We thought $20,000 was expensive but this dude was on-call for a year, did all the city paperwork, knows all the good contractors, and put up with my endless howabouting. He probably charges more/offers less customization now (≧▽≦)

Yeah but is your house a monstrosity or is it a consistent and well-designed house, though?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've seen expensive architect-designed houses that look like cheap McMansion hell level trash, and amazing houses designed by a "building designer". The title isn't as important as their portfolio and reputation.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Baronjutter posted:

I've seen expensive architect-designed houses that look like cheap McMansion hell level trash, and amazing houses designed by a "building designer". The title isn't as important as their portfolio and reputation.
I've worked with an architect team on huge scale office refurbishments. The one factor that no amount of quality input/design can fix is a dick head client. See Trumps apartment(s) for further details.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah but is your house a monstrosity or is it a consistent and well-designed house, though?

We all share a bathroom like MONSTERS

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Cartoon posted:

I've worked with an architect team on huge scale office refurbishments. The one factor that no amount of quality input/design can fix is a dick head client. See Trumps apartment(s) for further details.

This is true. They pay the bills and there's no accounting for bad taste. I'll admit I've done projects I didn't want my name on and we wouldn't advertise we did. Nothing atrocious, but mostly very lackluster buildings that pay the bills and work.

peanut posted:

Exactly this. You can pay for a drafting service and that's what you'll get. Pay for design services and you'll get that.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

xwing posted:

That's 6 weeks of work... do you think a well designed home takes less? If you're hand holding for a client and picking every finish and drawing everything, that's probably even a bit light.
You have some lucky clients. We don't have many architects/interior designer/unlimited contractor/landscaper know it all experts available to ensure the seasoned crews and trades are doing it correctly. Heck, we are lucky to find a person really good at their profession and use them. But I am right there with you--silly of me to use a kitchen designer when I should have told the architect to order up a bunch of cabinet handles.

xwing posted:

This is the shittiest lovely advice. Doing a graph paper design and showing "I like this" type stuff to a builder is how you get the abortions of homes we make fun of here.
Again, very silly of me. Crazy the idea of bringing pictures and drawings to the person you are asking to provide you with renders and plans. Is your approach more to have them talk in flowery words while you sketch or do you just ball up all their pre-work, toss it in the bin, pronounce they know nothing, have no taste, and tell them to leave it to you? "Pay me half of the $35,000 now and get out!! A genius must work in peace!!"

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone want to fill me in on what the gently caress I'm looking at here?

What's going on with these windows?

Why would you do this to your front door?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You go to war with the sash windows that you've got. Sideways, and propped on glass bricks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

there wolf posted:

Why would you do this to your front door?

I would also like to know this. I've been seeing poo poo like this more and more. Someone has some slightly dated but solid little house and then "modernizes" or "Improves" just the door entry area. 1950's stucco bungalow? Let's spice up the entry with some red cedar and stainless steel trim. Ugly but consistent 1970's split level covered in dark wood siding? How about some anodized aluminum in bright colours and a new front door! No, don't touch the rest of the house, don't tie anything together. And it isn't always some hip modern fad material, sometimes it's just some stick-on stone or brick. But it's universally some material that makes no sense and clashes with the rest of the house.

I don't get it!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Columns!

Crown Moulding!

Stone!

tres elegante

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's functionally similar to those people who put stick-on fender vents and hood scoops and chrome stripes onto their cars.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hello thread can any of you help me remember the name of a show you have in the States that has been talked about in this thread before. It's where some guys go into houses that have been hosed up with bad renovation and construction and they're poking around in the basement etc.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Holmes on Homes( and/or one of his many other shows)?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Scarodactyl posted:

Holmes on Homes( and/or one of his many other shows)?

That rings a bell thank you.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
isnt that one canadian though? that was the first one i thought of

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

sneakyfrog posted:

Eh it's all America anyways

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

It's a Canadian show that airs in the states.

In fact, half the shows on DIY/HGTV are Canadian shows.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I expected the yellow couch to manifest in the outdoor view. 3/5 spooky rating.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

The Bloop posted:

Columns!

Crown Moulding!

Stone!

tres elegante

I had an unfortunate job working for an SEO and cheap Wordpress sites shop, and I swear at least half of our clients were selling REALISTIC FOAM COLUMNS! FAUX STONE COVERINGS! MARBLE KITCHEN REMODELING!

It was a super gross job and I've been in therapy ever since.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jaded Burnout posted:

You use a plunger by *gently* alternating pressure and suction to move the blockage about and break it up, so it clears naturally. It's not about using brute force, that's how you pop a pipe.

I had a landlord that had us sign that we would void our lease if we tried to fix any plumbing problems on our own. He was a plumber by trade. I watched everything he did when he would fix minor issues. The first thing I remember was him clearing a sink with the right plunger and the right motion. I've never had a clog I couldn't bust since.

He was the best plumbing instructor I ever had. I'm glad he had his rules. It was like being an apprentice.

To be fair, the plumbing was absolute garbage so he was just covering his rear end. The overflow from the tub ran into the ceiling of the basement apartment kitty corner to ours. Not sure how he managed that. We also had wall-to-wall carpet in both the bathroom and the kitchen. Yes, it could not be cleaned and smelled all the time. Yes the rest of the house had shag carpet. Yes, the whole house was paneling with big holes in it from the previous college kids. Yes it had well water that smelled of sulfur every time you ran it. Yes, my friend vomited all over the floor when passed out drunk and got stuck to the carpet with vomit. Yes we were terrible tenants. Yes the house was full of wasp nests in the walls. Yes, we never paid our rent on time.

College renting FTW!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mostlygray posted:

College renting FTW!

It's probably an Airbnb now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have a roof problem the solution to which will probably belong in this thread, and the current situation definitely does.

My van's roof has an 8" circular hole in it, covered by this:

That's an upside down bucket lid, a piece of wood, and two decking screws. Somehow, that thing hasn't let a single detectable drop of water enter the cabin that I'm aware of, in even some serious PNW rain.

I'm gonna have to replace it at some point, but the options for roof vents are all way bigger, requiring cutting a new, larger hole in the roof, or smaller, requiring some sort of ghetto spacer or something to fit up. I'm leaning towards the latter. This can't end well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why is there a hole in the roof?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did it used to be a chimney for something?

...in a van?

Cover it back up, smear the edges with RTV and put a Thule box over it. :v:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Typically for a vent or vent/fan combo, but since none appear to be made in that size, I don't know. Hence having to kitbash a fix.

E: there are people who put wood stoves in these. I do not plan to be among them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

shove a frosted plastic dome in there for extra light?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I've got a solar fan I want to put in but I'm trying to figure out how to go about it. (it's 7" so too small for the existing opening)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Flextape.