Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Today I wrapped up hard runs on all three scenarios by finishing The Refugees. Interestingly on that run, I didn't proceed to pick up any Order or Faith laws for the whole run with the exception of Watchtowers on the last day. I was at something like 45% Hope (about zero Discontent at that point) and wanted to push it over the top before a temperature drop coming up the next morning. I suppose I could have waited for a random "promise event," but I didn't want to upgrade any tents to get "Worse than London" at the same time and I don't think that any one other than let's heat some homes would proc.

Other than signing certain laws, it seems all the active hope generating mechanics are gated down one set of new laws or the other. Definitely possible to complete a Refugees run without either though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009
Is there anyway to tell what the game considers to be a good or bad choice, other than just trial and error? I am mostly just curious how it decides things.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Are there any actual negative repercussions to robbing / refusing survivors in A New Home? I'm ~2/3rds of the way through a New Home run on Hard, and even though I had to cheese the Hunter Huts it's hasn't been quite as hard as I had anticipated. All I had to do was leave most groups to fend for themselves even the group of lost children ESPECIALLY the group of lost children, only accepting small groups with lots of engineers and no children. There's a little triangle "!" icon next to those options, but nothing has come up yet. Is the game just going to try and guilt me when I get to the end? (I plan on going full Ice Pope so I'm already committed to being a complete monster.)

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/775174790592147456/photo/1

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Skeletons do no work. They aren't even good for meat. I would not allow ADMIN into my new London

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/1002143423040811008

New modes, new scenario, people / automaton naming, screenshot feature, infinite play scenario.

All free this year.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Then why'd I get all the drat season pass dlcs

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

UP AND ADAM posted:

Then why'd I get all the drat season pass dlcs

Because they're still releasing This War of Mine DLC content years later, i.e. They're a good dev shop. I think they realise that the base game doesn't have enough meat, DLC will come later.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think it's cause the game crushed their sale projections so they're gonna support it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The game was a lot of fun for a while when it came out, but now I want to wait for the full fledged implementation of all DLC and updates that will eventually come before I even look at it again. It's a weird problem to have.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

I think it's cause the game crushed their sale projections so they're gonna support it.

Didn’t even know it sold well

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Eurogamer posted:

Frozen city-building game Frostpunk, the newest by This War of Mine developer 11 bit Studios, has raced out of the gates, shifting a quarter of a million copies in 66 hours. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-27-frostpunk-sells-like-hot-soup-shifting-250-000-copies-in-66-hours

It did. And they're adding a new campaign "The Builders", an Endless mode, a harder mode, and more customization on their 2018 roadmap. And a photo mode. (farts) https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-01-frostpunk-dlc-roadmap-for-2018-revealed-and-its-all-free

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The game really lacks a real Iron Man mode to truly tap it's potential for suspense.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Survival Mode is out: https://steamcommunity.com/games/323190/announcements/detail/3077529495343351883

Remember the Development Road Map that we've posted some time ago? The time has come to introduce the promised Survivor Mode to the game! It's a special feature for the most seasoned arctic survivalists among you. If you find Hard difficulty all too easy, test the limits of your ability to survive the winter apocalypse in this brand new mode! You can pause the game only by opening a menu - so there is no active pause whatsoever! - and your progress is only saved automatically and on exit, so all your decisions are final. The difficulty level itself is also more rough and demanding - meeting the people's needs or balancing the delicate economy of your city will be even harder. What's more: finishing the game in this mode will reward you with some new achievements as well. To start a new game in Survivor Mode, select a scenario and toggle the switch below the customization button.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Aside from the theme and the crazy radial grid system, this game reminds me a lot of Tropico, only the oppressive dictator bits are there to make you anxious and question your moral compass instead of for laughs.

Although I guess a lot of city builders resemble each other, but this game has the whole courting the populace while enacting edicts and researching new techs to better exploit your limited resources.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Late to the party, but I got to day 30 through lots of failure and death. I've got about 250 survivors and lost quite a few after the depression from Winterhome resulted in people not gathering enough coal, which meant the generator shut down during the cold snap, which meant everyone got sick and pissed and started a death spiral and I had to go a bit further down Order than I was hoping just to hold it all together. Only ended up losing 5 people to the Londoners.

But now after the update, my game is buggy and jittery and crashing. I've replayed day 31 like six times now, and it keeps collapsing at some random point partway through. Anyone else having this problem or similar problems?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Nosfereefer posted:

The game really lacks a real Iron Man mode to truly tap it's potential for suspense.

Yay!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

SlothfulCobra posted:

Aside from the theme and the crazy radial grid system, this game reminds me a lot of Tropico, only the oppressive dictator bits are there to make you anxious and question your moral compass instead of for laughs.

Although I guess a lot of city builders resemble each other, but this game has the whole courting the populace while enacting edicts and researching new techs to better exploit your limited resources.

This game is basically Tropico's evil twin. Your cities are built on roughly the same population scale with the same absurd level of tracking individual citizens. No traffic management, really easy infrastructure, approval is a potential game-ender if you don't want to squash human rights, and money isn't a concern. However, your dictatorial decrees are treated as horror instead of comedy, and it's arctic instead of tropical.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Paradoxically, it's somehow easier to keep your people from starving to death.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i wanna try playing a game where i make heavy use of triage/otherwise don't give a poo poo about people's lives, and take all the "turn corpses into useful poo poo" laws so i'm playing a city that lives off death

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

SlothfulCobra posted:

Paradoxically, it's somehow easier to keep your people from starving to death.

I've done several games of intentional starvation to trigger the cannibalism law - it's much harder than you think.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Does the game always chide for at all going with the law and order path? Cause i find that pretty lame.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nah. It seems like there's laws that are coded immoral, and picking too many of them will get you poopooed -- not just the late laws, things like Child Labor vs shelters. But gently caress whoever's judging you. Snow pope rules forever!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Managed to beat the first scenario on Survivor. Took me quite a few tries until I found a build order that got me past the resource hump. It definitely makes you change your strategy, that's for sure.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Trivia posted:

Managed to beat the first scenario on Survivor. Took me quite a few tries until I found a build order that got me past the resource hump. It definitely makes you change your strategy, that's for sure.

I really like the balance on Survivor. I know all of the mechanics of the game very well but I'm still barely staying afloat (ablaze?) on Refugees.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah it really keeps you on the edge; at no point can I settle and catch my breath.

Currently trying The Arks on survivor. Man, the build order in the beginning is pretty tight. Managed to get hubs up right before a couple Arks we're about to freeze.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bogart posted:

Nah. It seems like there's laws that are coded immoral, and picking too many of them will get you poopooed -- not just the late laws, things like Child Labor vs shelters. But gently caress whoever's judging you. Snow pope rules forever!

oh i agree whole heartedly, i just think it's loving stupid the ending is chastising me for helping everyone survive because i put the guy who murdered someone in jail

i coulda just exiled him to die in the snow, but no, i saved his life

also i think it's really lame some of the production goals are like failure states. I was geared up to survive the Arks but i died because i was missing like two hundred food rations while i was sitting on a big pile of raw food.

also i really love the aesthetic of this game, next time i do it i'm just gonna play on easy because i want to focus on building a city, which is frequently end up losing control of tropico.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are they planning an endless mode or something anytime soon? I'd love something like that, especially if it comes with more building space.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The aesthetics are gorgeous - but I think the music really brings everything together in this game.

The song for New Home which starts once you discover the storm and have to prepare for it sets the mood as perfectly as it can be set.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Agreed. I was digging the music the whole game and then the end run started up and I was simultaneously loving pumped and terrified at trying to survive a make-believe snowstorm

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, what's the benefit of gathering posts as opposed to ordering the workers to get stuff manually? Do they freeze less? More efficient? Just starting out, obviously.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's both freeze less and more efficient.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, good, though it does still take time and resources to build the dang thing and once you've razed everything around it it's useless again--how efficient is deconstructing stuff?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think you get like 80% back. It's pretty ok.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You should definitely use them.

You'll have less sick workers, they gather everything in a radius around them (so those 10 workers are actually picking up more than their fair share) and getting 80% back when you deconstruct (i only deconstruct 2, the other one gets used with a coal thumper) is a good trade for saving like a day or two worth of time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A cylindrical city-builder is pretty novel for an idea. Still wrapping my head around a few concepts. (also my computer keeps crashing for reasons I'm sure aren't Frostpunk's fault).

I love the big horn that plays when it's time to stop or start working. The sound design is phenominal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

First try, I wound up with like 40 amputees because I had horrible thermal coverage resulting in a lot of frostbite. Second try went a hell of a lot better until I kept running out of coal and the lazy fucks just wouldn't make enough coal to keep themselves alive and eventually all the Londoners gave up and left. Assholes.

I wasn't expecting Automatons to be gigantic quadrupeds straddling buildings like a Boston Dynamics dog.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Speedball posted:

I wasn't expecting Automatons to be gigantic quadrupeds straddling buildings like a Boston Dynamics dog.

I love them, of all the designs for robots they could have gone with they went with the most alien and unnerving, which is absolutely brilliant.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sardonik posted:

I love them, of all the designs for robots they could have gone with they went with the most alien and unnerving, which is absolutely brilliant.

Yeah, they look like a four-legged Martian Tripod, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I like the way they just haul on over and possess the building you task them to