Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hollywood will never truly be progressive until we give a Best Director Oscar to a woman who has been convicted of reprehensible things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

Hollywood will never truly be progressive until we give a Best Director Oscar to a woman who has been convicted of reprehensible things.

Lifetime achievement award for Leni Riefenstahl.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Easily done.

We just wait until Allison Mack is out of jail and makes a movie dramatising her experiences running a Hollywood sex cult. It's hailed as ingenious and she wins the award.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Easily done.

We just wait until Allison Mack is out of jail and makes a movie dramatising her experiences running a Hollywood sex cult. It's hailed as ingenious and she wins the award.

I know you're kidding but that would actually be wildly illegal since it involves profiting directly from a crime you've been convicted of, AKA the son of sam law

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know you're kidding but that would actually be wildly illegal since it involves profiting directly from a crime you've been convicted of, AKA the son of sam law
Given that we live in a world where OJ Simpson’s If I Did It exists, it would seem to be pretty easy to work around that minor annoyance.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Wolf of Wall Street illegal?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pretty sure the son of sam law was thrown out for being a gross violation of the first amendment.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

david_a posted:

Given that we live in a world where OJ Simpson’s If I Did It exists, it would seem to be pretty easy to work around that minor annoyance.

Oj doesnt get money from that after a lawsuit by the victims family iirc. They get the money.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MacheteZombie posted:

Oj doesnt get money from that after a lawsuit by the victims family iirc. They get the money.

Which is different than making it illegal

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Which is different than making it illegal

True, just find it interesting that oj almost got it published but lost the rights before doing so. He did get 600k in cash for putting his name on it as the author.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think the money was supposed to be routed through his kids. I don’t believe OJ was getting it directly.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
OJ was also found innocent by a jury though? Son of Sam was not. He wrote a tell all book after he was convicted and serving time. Totally different in the eyes of the law. Like we all know OJ killed them two people but well welcome to trial by jury :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

anticake posted:

OJ was also found innocent by a jury though? Son of Sam was not. He wrote a tell all book after he was convicted and serving time. Totally different in the eyes of the law. Like we all know OJ killed them two people but well welcome to trial by jury :shrug:

The original Son of Sam law was thrown out, but New York passed a new one in 2001 that so far hasn't been overturned.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

anticake posted:

He was also found guilty liable by a jury, so I don’t know how that works. I guess it’s just the criminal trial that matters?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

anticake posted:

The OJ thing was more about his civil suit judgement. He can sell knives on TV, all the while winking at the camera. But every penny he earns is garnished. "If I Did It" was meant to cycle profits through his kids - which could be altruistic or could be a way to launder money. So there were a lot of things wrong with that mess.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Skwirl posted:

The original Son of Sam law was thrown out, but New York passed a new one in 2001 that so far hasn't been overturned.

the summer of sam law

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Krispy Wafer posted:

The OJ thing was more about his civil suit judgement. He can sell knives on TV, all the while winking at the camera. But every penny he earns is garnished. "If I Did It" was meant to cycle profits through his kids - which could be altruistic or could be a way to launder money. So there were a lot of things wrong with that mess.

Right I was saying that a Son of Sam style law would not effect what OJ can do, seeing as how those laws were to keep convicted criminals (in the original case the Son of Sam) from writing a book and reaping profits of their crimes.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

david_a posted:

I guess I should have quoted this sequence because it was this idea I was responding to. I guess a lot of people posted between them and me, my apologies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the back cover blurbs for home video releases, are there restrictions about what movies they can mention the cast previously having been in? For example, I have next to me the dvd of How I Spent My Summer Vacation, an action movie from a few years ago starring Mel Gibson. On the back cover, the description begins, "It's been a bad day for Driver (Mel Gibson - The Edge of Darkness)" - why The Edge of Darkness and not Lethal Weapon or The Road Warrior something like that? Is it a rights issue or does it depend on when the movie/dvd is coming out?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

On the back cover blurbs for home video releases, are there restrictions about what movies they can mention the cast previously having been in? For example, I have next to me the dvd of How I Spent My Summer Vacation, an action movie from a few years ago starring Mel Gibson. On the back cover, the description begins, "It's been a bad day for Driver (Mel Gibson - The Edge of Darkness)" - why The Edge of Darkness and not Lethal Weapon or The Road Warrior something like that? Is it a rights issue or does it depend on when the movie/dvd is coming out?

To a degree. Actors provide approved biographies and that might list certain films and exclude others. Mostly it’s marketing: how much value is there in mentioning films that are 30 years old?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

They probably also want to avoid mentioning a film from a competitor (no idea if that's the case here)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Probably depends on the film like they're not gonna put "Matthew McConaughey (Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Next Generation)" on a romcom but they might on a horror film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krankenstyle posted:

They probably also want to avoid mentioning a film from a competitor (no idea if that's the case here)

Well, in that example, the front cover of the DVD says "From the producers of Braveheart and Apocalypto" so I'd have thought they'd go with one of those.

Doesn't even say "Academy Award-winner Mel Gibson" now that I look at it, and they always do that!

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
Is there a meaningful difference between the theatrical and director's cuts of Rob Zombie's Halloween II? I got the former out from the library and was wondering if I'd be missing out on anything significant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I remember a scene like this explaining what urban legends are in the poo poo 90s horror film Urban Legend

Coming back to this because I keep thinking about it and laughing, but the scene you're referring to is like 8 minutes long and contains practically every element of the trope.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think there’s a reprise in the sequel, too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Arkhams Razor posted:

Is there a meaningful difference between the theatrical and director's cuts of Rob Zombie's Halloween II? I got the former out from the library and was wondering if I'd be missing out on anything significant.

Borderline different movies. Ending is different, noticeable changes to Laurie’sband Loomis’s characterizations, and 15 minutes longer iirc

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven’t seen any of the mission impossible films should I bother watching 1-3 or just go right in to that first good one (I forgot what it’s called)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
3 is a soft reboot, so start there. But the following films all spring from that entry, and characters and elements from it are quoted and played with in all the subsequent entries in ways that reward having seen it.

It's also my personal favorite of the series thus far. Compared to the following entries it's light on the spectacle and scope, but it's wonderfully tense and has a terrific villain.

e: though the first one is still a terrific movie so I'd say catch it sometime, but it's not particularly esential to the series as it exists today. Skip the second unless you can get into action trash of the early 00's in a big way.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 1, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just saw 2 for the first time today and it's a loving dog turd. The two things it introduces in Thandie Newton as a love interest and an Aussie team member are nowhere to be seen afterwards. It's incredibly skippable.

I think 1 is great and in line with the rest in regards to it's intrigue and intensity, and I bet the time passing from 1 to 3 sets his life up there nicer that counting in pt2.

1 and 3 are my faves anyhow.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
That Debussy Godzilla trailer music seems to be from a spec trailer music album which rules and is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXpo1a0lVY

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stuff like 'Epic Trailer Jams Vol. 16" exist for a reason.

That reminds me that in the new Twin Peaks series there was a super-memorable theme that went along a particular hired killer character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4nAvDXpvHk
and it just so happens to be #3 when you type in "Hiphop beat"

Nothing wrong with taking the easy road.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 1, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
That's also pretty funny

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Peccadillo posted:

That Debussy Godzilla trailer music seems to be from a spec trailer music album which rules and is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXpo1a0lVY

They seem experienced in doing other people's tunes. My Spotify Discovery playlist recommend this song this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbyK9zFkXM

Which sounded really familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjgTFd6XAg8

:thinking:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
There are entire music libraries for "sounds like" tunes. way cheaper than licensing a real song but for a branded instagram/social post etc its perfect.

Famously Explosions in the Sky were approached to do the theme song for Friday Night Lights the TV show, and they said no. So the producers just got W.G. Snuffy to replicate their sound

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That must've taken what, 20 minutes?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I remember hearing an interview with someone years ago (maybe Nick Kroll?) about an insane faux-Black Eyed Peas song that was playing in the background of a party scene. I want to say everyone on set was hearing it constantly but only like twenty seconds of it played in the finished project.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bows1 posted:

There are entire music libraries for "sounds like" tunes. way cheaper than licensing a real song but for a branded instagram/social post etc its perfect.

Famously Explosions in the Sky were approached to do the theme song for Friday Night Lights the TV show, and they said no. So the producers just got W.G. Snuffy to replicate their sound

How is this handled in a post-Ghostbusters lawsuit world? Seems like there's a high-profile precedent for sueing for stealing a sound.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That Farrell/Thicke song skirted it iirc but idk if the precedent is useful

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A local morning show back in the 1990's had the lead singer from .38 Special on and brought up a The Offspring song that sounded a lot like a .38 Special number. Like listening to them back to back it sounds almost identical. The guy took it alright and went into some detail about what's considered copyright and what isn't. Like you can sound the same as long as you don't have too many consecutive notes. So it's entirely possible to write a song that 'sounds like' an existing number, but isn't close enough to trigger a lawsuit. But it's a thin line and Thicke/Farrell and Ray Parker Jr. crossed it.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't know if the commercial is region-locked, but here is an ad by the Dutch army where the "inspiration" for the music is really obvious (to the point where I wonder if they just actually licensed it and made a crappier version).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwsIsScScdM

Immigrant Song, specifically the version for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.