Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
All of my jobs except for one have been in offices with >90% women, so I've generally been able to use the men's room with impunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Avoid bathrooms between 12pm and 2pm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MF_James posted:

Avoid bathrooms between 12pm and 2pm

I made a whole pooping formula.

Pooping isn't random. People have regular pooping schedules that normally adhere to, unless the burrito truck was outside your company this morning or something like that.

Your biggest group of poopers are the 'first cup of coffee' poopers in the morning, just before and after lunch poopers, and the afternoon poopers. Peak pooping phases, if you will.

You have a small group of people who never poop at work. They probably don't poop outside their own homes. Most people poop once a day, but some people poop 2-3 times a day.

Then you have visit lengths. There's the 1-2 minute poopers, there's the 5 minute poopers, then there are the small group of people who sit there for 15-20 minutes

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Love having a PR I worked really hard on being reviewed with, "This is impressive, but let's just stash it in a branch to reference in a larger conversation about tech debt and can you just delete these 3 lines in this hard-coded list of poo poo?"

I get it, it's a big PR, there's some risk, but fuuuuuuuuuuck it literally said in the ticket, "Feels bad to hard-code this, make it configurable." It's already bumped to next release, we have two full weeks to test the hell out of it, can't we just get it the last few feet to the finish line since I already did all this work? It'd also be a great proof of concept that it's really not all that time-consuming to update some of the stupidest poo poo in this repo.

This entire codebase pushes every one of my rage buttons, but the massive "data.py" files all over this app containing hard-coded fake database tables have to be the biggest offenders.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Reported an issue with a process and how to fix it, was met with "This is how it was decided we do this 3 years ago, we have a known workaround that works, not fixing"... hey gently caress you buddy, I already gave you the fix and will save our support a gently caress ton of time and cause less downtime for our client.

Then went straight to our architect and he sighed and said he'll make sure the fix gets in the next sprint.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Cleaning up after Angry Boss :bang:

I have a very irritating conversation coming up soon with one of my new direct reports I inherited from Angry Boss. He's one of 6 dudes that all work on the same thing but he's missing a lot of work, on average about 12 hours a week, between showing up late and ducking out early and his co-workers are getting restive about it. Attendance issues, fine, I can manage that in my sleep but Angry Boss was also inexplicably paying him substantially more than the others and was regularly giving this guy $500-$1000 'performance' bonuses every two to three weeks.

Not going to cut his base salary but the bonus gravy train is going away because Jesus Christ. He'll probably quit and I'll spend another month interviewing. I hate interviewing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tactlessbastard posted:

Cleaning up after Angry Boss :bang:

I have a very irritating conversation coming up soon with one of my new direct reports I inherited from Angry Boss. He's one of 6 dudes that all work on the same thing but he's missing a lot of work, on average about 12 hours a week, between showing up late and ducking out early and his co-workers are getting restive about it. Attendance issues, fine, I can manage that in my sleep but Angry Boss was also inexplicably paying him substantially more than the others and was regularly giving this guy $500-$1000 'performance' bonuses every two to three weeks.

Not going to cut his base salary but the bonus gravy train is going away because Jesus Christ. He'll probably quit and I'll spend another month interviewing. I hate interviewing.

Umm, is his butt being in the seat affecting his actual work? I don’t understand the desperate need for someone to be at a certain time and leave at a certain time for any technology job outside of a help desk / desktop role as long as the work is being done.

The bonus stuff sounds weird though. That is way too regular.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Umm, is his butt being in the seat affecting his actual work?

Yes.

He's directly responsible for responding to issues that arise during the normal operations of the business concern and if he's not there, someone else is working late covering for what got missed while he was playing hooky.

My old crew is now a couple days ahead on their current project and about to hit a stopping point waiting on input from a different group outside my demesne so Wednesday afternoon I'm going to kick them loose for a four day weekend with a pat on the back because I'm not a slave to butts in seats.

Except for old boy's butt, it needs to be in a seat. It's the nature of his job.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So the team is reactive to issues that arise and needs to cover a certain time slot, but are also proactively engaged with project work?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

So the team is reactive to issues that arise and needs to cover a certain time slot, but are also proactively engaged with project work?

Separate teams, totally different jobs. The guy with the attendance issues is a time slot guy. Sorry if my lack of details is making this unnecessarily Byzantine.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thom and the Heads posted:

poo poo pissing me off: there's around 200 people who work on my floor

there are 4 toilets in the men's room.

Same but two toilets and two urinals. A lot of us have started travelling to other floors because it gets fuckin' gross in there. A woman didn't believe me, so I now have two pictures of puddles of urine on the floor near-ish the urinals. Frequently the stall floors are wet, I still haven't figured that out.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Some people piss in a stall because _____ (?) or there is someone at the urinal and they don’t want to stand next to them. I guess they figure “When in Rome” and just piss on the floor there too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't think i'll ever understand the "piss on the seat, leave it" strategy.

There is toilet roll right there, be a decent person, please. I understand that occasionally you might not be paying attention and sleepwalking through your day, but for fucks sake don't make other people clean up your piss.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
We've got a customer whose website is a buggy mess because the developer who built it did it bespoke without any kind of documentation for it and has since moved onto other projects.

So, rightfully, customer is quite annoyed about having so many issues and creates dozens of tickets for them. What's the solution for an angry customer who has lots of bugs and is mad about how long they take to get fixed? Why, you simply assign those tickets to a team that have no history on the project, no training on the underlying framework, and badger them about how these delays are making the customer mad!

It's also helpful to have people from Sales jump in on the ticket, promise the customer a quick resolution then moan at the developers "this should be an easy task for you, fix it now".

Also:
:downs: "Hey, nexus6, do you have time to work on this ticket?"
:what: "No, I don't. I already explained to you, to my manager and to the CTO that I can't work on these tickets you keep assigning me unless I get some training on them. Otherwise I don't know what I need to do and the customer just gets mad that we are wasting time. They've already threatened to leave more than once"
:downs: "I'm just going to assign it to you. The customer's mad so you better get it fixed quick. When they complain I'm just going to point at you"

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

It's a long-time supplier who we're 90-something % of their business.

Is it feasible to just buy the company?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

angry armadillo posted:

Is it feasible to just buy the company?

They've been talking about that for a while.

The guy did just buy some million dollar laser pipe bender or something so I don't know if that would make sense if we weren't going to have this part made of metal anymore...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Partycat posted:

Some people piss in a stall because _____ (?) or there is someone at the urinal and they don’t want to stand next to them. I guess they figure “When in Rome” and just piss on the floor there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuRdPjyui88

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Sickening posted:

Umm, is his butt being in the seat affecting his actual work? I don’t understand the desperate need for someone to be at a certain time and leave at a certain time for any technology job outside of a help desk / desktop role as long as the work is being done.
Missing 12 hours a week is pretty extreme unless a worker works remotely on a regular basis. It's one thing to look the other way for someone coming in a little late or slipping out early, but 12 hours a week is 2+ hours a day unaccounted for.

I'll admit to some bitterness here because I've gotten grief in my current position for occasionally being 15 minutes short in a day. No I'm not hourly. Yes I'm getting my work done, and the one project that has taken a long time (for documented reasons) is not impacted by me showing up at 8:45 instead of 8:30. I just have some nasty older colleagues who are happy to clock-watch and rat others out. Great stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It oscillates where I'm at. The past several years have been pretty chill but before that we had a drill sergeant wannabe that would send an IM at exactly the minute they wanted you at your desk and if you didn't respond you'd get a lecture about being late.. in weekly group meetings.

I almost quit during that period, but then the problem child decided he wanted to try his hand in the finance sector and hosed off on his own.

He'd also do poo poo like message "come see me," I walk all the way across the building to see what's up, and he'd tell me to assign a specific ticket to myself and deal with it. Power tripping cumstain, just tell me the ticket number in the chat program you clearly know how to use.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
One company I worked at, 6 of us in total, started using time tracking for developers. I was rounding my timesheets to the nearest 15 minutes and got chewed out for "you're not a robot, you don't work exactly 7.5 hours a day! your timesheets should be more accurate to what you are doing!".

My colleague then got chewed out for logging 30-second phone calls and being too precise.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I'm bored out of my skull. Haven't had any new dev in four months, and management keeps pushing the next release. My next new dev task is in two releases, so I guess I'll be twiddling my thumbs for the next year at this rate. I get that our product needs to be stable, but we're four full-time devs in my team, and none of us have any new dev, and our area of responsibility has very few bugs actually coming in so we're relegated to picking up scraps from our behemoth of a general bug list in the hopes that whoever reported it in also provided some way to reproduce it or we're lucky enough that it's easy to reproduce. I've found at least four moderate to serious issues that would require a reasonable amount of work time but they keep getting scheduled to next release or the one after. Every time I suggest an improvement to our architecture or something my boss tends to dismiss it. Yeah, let's keep working with nested callback hell when we have the ability and time to start switching to promises and async/await.

Why on earth would you have four devs just sitting around doing basically nothing when there ARE things to be done. At this rate I should probably look for a new job, because idling is so loving horrible for my mental health.

Joda fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 1, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Joda posted:

Why on earth would you have four devs just sitting around doing basically nothing when there ARE things to be done. At this rate I should probably look for a new job, because idling is so loving horrible for my mental health.

Pick up a pet open source project? Get really really good at Dungeon Crawl?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm working from home this week because I literally can't walk and have spent a grand total of 15 minutes doing actual work before switching to modding FNV because I literally have absolutely nothing I could be doing right now.

It's easy I guess but gimme a week and I'll start wishing for walk ups so at least I can do something.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

To me it’s still grinding to do that sort of thing 8 hours a day. Working from home is the only thing that preserves my sanity during lulls because I can do something productive or watch tv.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

To me it’s still grinding to do that sort of thing 8 hours a day. Working from home is the only thing that preserves my sanity during lulls because I can do something productive or watch tv.

work on certs or a degree

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

work on certs or a degree

You're missing the point.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I got myself added to the Bad Players list in DCSS at my last job. 1 win, 1000+ losses.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Joda posted:

I feel you. People often assume that being slack on the job is a great thing, but holy crap does it suck. It's one thing to have some downtime from time to time, but an idle mind is a terrible place to be.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The crux for me is "you must be in this place for 8 hours every day".

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We are pretty flexible on wfh, etc if you need it on our team but the general expectation is that your rear end is in the seat. Since we’re the infrastructure team we usually end up getting involved in nearly every incident that comes up. The way our team is structured is that each person is responsible for understanding and supporting the infrastructure needs of each application, but we don’t do the actual app work.

Of course, since I’m the AD, GPO, SSO, LDAP, exchange online, and Okta admin (among other things), a good chunk of stuff comes my way since everything touches those. :negative:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Kramer’s reaction to that was exactly mine at that concept that you can be a “stall man”

:mrwhite:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is it because of open office/monitoring bullshit?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

baquerd posted:

Is it because of open office/monitoring bullshit?

Not sure. Maybe it just doesn’t fit my working style which is a bit scattered and opportunistic unless I’ve got something big to focus on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

To take the example of the previous poster, doing a degree.

I actually am doing a degree in my spare time. Working on that degree requires one or two very large books open, plus the university website, and copious reading and note taking.

Try to picture any common office scenario where you can openly do that without rebuke and without interruption. Where the bosses are happy to make the leap from “I’ve got nothing to do” to “okay do some learning” vs “I’ve got nothing to do” to “okay here’s some filler poo poo work”.

And then assuming that you’ve managed to end up in a situation where all that is true and you can do it comfortably without disruption, well that poo poo only takes like 3 hours a day max. You’ve still got 5 hours to fill.

Don’t underestimate how long we spend at work and how much of that time passing comfortably is contingent on having something worthwhile and stimulating to do.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

"Did you test that it's fixed?" Yes last night at 9PM after the guy dropped off and plugged in a new label printer and you sent me a text that it was there I printed labels 4,000 miles away and verified they were no longer 100% black labels.

There is no way to tell until 11AM if it's fixed or not, because that's the start of day for them because timezones. Why didn't someone at that site do a test print last night? Someone was clearly in the building if this guy got in and dropped a printer off. Hell I can't even tell because the computer is powered off and Wake on LAN is disabled for ~security~ reasons. It's not a hill to die on, but boy do I miss Wake on LAN.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IPMI, it has passwords!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
my boss keeps an eye on our time logged, I think he trusts me more than the other 4 counterparts and has openly told me he's chill if people are logging like 70% of their time ish as doing something. He gets that sometimes you just get stopped in a corridor for a query and doesn't expect it to be logged etc etc etc...

there is one manager who just moans that he doesn't have time to log everything on the system as it takes too much time and as a manager he shouldn't have to do it etc etc.

he then got told, well tough get on with it and we spotted jobs for things like changing the kitchen roll holder thing when the roll ran out.

ohhhh dear.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xzzy posted:

IPMI, it has passwords!

I still wouldn't have been able to tell if the labels were acceptable quality from 4,000 miles away. Someone has to be there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I get that, I'm just a huge fan of ensuring remote control over every system I'm responsible for. IPMI isn't the best solution ever but it tends to work reliably.

I guess you could get some wifi security cameras and point one at the printer. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
UGH....

I discovered a bit of software the new locations we just acquired uses requires Java.. Specifically Java 6, update 7. It will not work with ANY other version as it is hardcoded to look for it.

I only found out because I uninstall Java by habit on any computer I see it on.

The company that makes this software boasts on their webpage "xxxxx software uses the latest Java technology!" I guess the latest Java technology is a 10 year old version of it..