Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

The reffing didn't help, but Parker looked like absolute poo poo even when he wasn't getting clinched/headlocked.

They way I heard it he got his bell rung by a headbutt early and then got roughhoused around for a while before coming back to nearly knock Whyte out at the end of the fight, how accurate is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The SituAsian posted:

I am at least acutely aware of Ian John Lewis's awfulness but even a "good" referee would have called a for Whyte knockdown there. He just happened to be at a weird angle and it would have been hard to see that the punch missed in real time

Agree, but it's still a serious mistake that likely affected the fight.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Whyte was too hosed to even rough house second half of the fight, Parker was just stood there with his hands down too hosed as well though

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somebody please get Leo Santa Cruz a booster seat

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Ortiz!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
In before Mikey puts him to sleep but credit to Easter for not just folding after the knockdown.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

They way I heard it he got his bell rung by a headbutt early and then got roughhoused around for a while before coming back to nearly knock Whyte out at the end of the fight, how accurate is that?

More or less, it's hard to say how much the headbutt affected him but he was noticeably slow and passive through most of the rest of the fight. The near-KO was with about 30 seconds left in the 12th.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Joseph Parker needs a whole new trainer/team and a rebuild. He's still a viable top 10 heavyweight, but he needs to improve and his current trainer has taken him as far as he can.

Mikey Garcia is a great, top 10 pound for pound guy who has no business at 147, let alone against maybe the future pound for pound #1 in the sport in Errol Spence. Fight Lomachenko instead please.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Mikey Garcia is a great, top 10 pound for pound guy who has no business at 147, let alone against maybe the future pound for pound #1 in the sport in Errol Spence. Fight Lomachenko instead please.
Exactly. He and Loma would have a hell of a fight but Spence would wreck this dude. He's too big for him. I don't want what happened to Kell Brook to happen to him. I think he's good enough to beat Loma to be honest.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
If Garcia had real one punch power or incredible speed I'd give him an outside shot, but he doesn't have any freakish assets such as those, and he looked chubby and struggled against Sergei Lipinets at 140.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Tyson Fury is allegedly negotiating a fight with Deontay Wilder, so that’s pretty fun.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Tyson Fury is allegedly negotiating a fight with Deontay Wilder, so that’s pretty fun.

I don't think I like that fight at the moment. I don't think Fury's quite ready to get back in with the elite of the division yet, but if he fights Wilder, there's a good chance he could win, which scuttles the Joshua/Wilder fight. If Wilder wins, he probably holds firm at a 50/50 demand with Joshua, considering he'd technically be the linear champion at that point, but I doubt Hearn would go for that. Seems premature for Fury and too much risk/little reward for Wilder at this point, considering if he does beat Fury people will be quick to jump on Fury "not being his former self", etc.

I'd rather see Wilder fight Breazeale and Fury continuing his rebuild, but it sounds like Wilder/Fury is seriously being negotiated, and it's hard to complain about two of the top 3 elite guys in the division fighting each other.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IDK, all the things you described make it a cool fight from another perspective. You have two top guys coming into a fight without a lot of unnecessary warm up fights, the winner becomes the clear opponent for Joshua and is in a much better bargaining position to actually get the fight made than they would have been before. It's a fun toss up fight between two exciting guys and consolidates the top of the division, what's not to like?

I think Wilder takes it though, but we'll have to see how Fury does against Francesco Pianeta.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Unless Fury look as bad against Pianeta as he did against Seferi then it's a fine fight but I seriously doubt anything will come of it. Probably just a of Wilder trying to get more leverage over Breazeale and Fury against, like, Manuel Charr.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean they both seem pretty into this discussion, but if anything I think they're getting mutual enjoyment of trolling Anthony Joshua. It's very possible it all falls through, since we shouldn't really ever be in the habit of believing Tyson Fury. But Wilder has confirmed negotiations and said they're going very smoothly so who knows!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Considering whoever wins is (almost certainly) going to have the unification fight with Joshua it makes sense that they both want it. Probably a bit more of a gamble for Wilder though, if Fury loses he can still make decent money fighting Bellew and Whyte, and Haye if he unretires again.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/Gervontaa/status/1024450357269655552?s=19

When Davis is p4p #1 in 2 years we'll all look back and realized it all started with one tweet on a Tuesday night

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Julio Cruz posted:

Considering whoever wins is (almost certainly) going to have the unification fight with Joshua it makes sense that they both want it. Probably a bit more of a gamble for Wilder though, if Fury loses he can still make decent money fighting Bellew and Whyte, and Haye if he unretires again.

I think it makes alot of sense for wilder. At the moment he's coming to the joshua fight with a much weaker hand and fury looks like absolute dog poo poo but for some reason is still being talked about as a dangerous fighter. Fight is being talked about for december and i don't think there is any way fury looks good clean (but that's a big if). Fury has been dropped before and wilder landing that right gets him at the joshua table as the lineal champ* which makes it more likely it's 50/50 and makes it a bigger fight. There's definitely the risk fury goes running round the ring again but hey we want people to take risks right?

*fury isn't even the lineal champ. Lennox lewis retired

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Most people would consider Klitschko the lineal champ before his loss to Fury

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ugh, yeah, but such a better version lost to Joshua. Let Joshua take Fury's head off and close the book on this.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I'd prefer to see Wilder-Whyte. You'd back Wilder's power of course, but has he been in with anyone prepared to brawl form the opening bell? Wilder fights usually seem to consist of them both standing in front of each other and flinching until he eventually unleashes the windmill.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I hate that the brits keep trying to make Dillian Whyte a thing

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I hate that the brits keep trying to make Dillian Whyte a thing

Get a load of this nonbeliever in 3rd best heavyweight in the world Dillian "The Villain" Whyte

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think tyson vs wilder would be very interesting. When he's in shape and motivated he's like this weird snake type boxer that you can't predict or fight easily. His style can be a like a total clusterfuck for guys who are used to dominating. You can't even really prepare for it. It's that gypsy fighting style.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
He's a better title challenger than punching bag Brazeale or a washed up Fury at least.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't think he's "washed up" currently. Tyson has mental health issues and some times he gets destroyed by them.His recent interviews suggest (from my complete laymans perspective) that he is doing well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We;re definitely going to have to see how Fury looks in his next fight before making much of a read on the wilder fight sure. I think Whyte is clearly a good fighter, but I don't really get the thing where people are acting like he's entitled to a fight with Wilder or even sillier, Wilder has to beat Whyte to earn a shot with Joshua.

Wilder-Whyte could be fun, Wilder being forced to fight on the inside would be interesting, but I don't really see it going anywhere. Whyte almost got knocked out by a straight right hand from Joseph Parker, I don't think he survives the same punch from Wilder.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Parker lost to Whyte because he was incredibly passive and very rarely went on the attack, and one thing you can definitely say about Wilder is that those aren't qualities he has.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Parker also got knocked down on a headbutt and then gassed himself out late, two things I also don't see Wilder doing.

Doesn't matter though, because Wilder is going to be fighting Tyson Fury

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Lucas Mattthysse is calling it a career

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl9ecGRggzV/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1fleiayjdyu5g

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

respect.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ignore the title, this is an interesting little interview of both fury and wilder from a sparring partner of both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6odMGkR85Pc

Jippa fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 3, 2018

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eat poo poo Kovalev

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

Eat poo poo Kovalev

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I was never all that sold on Alvarez but can't argue with a performance like that. Bivol is probably still too green so I guess he can rematch Kovalev (eww) or hope that Gvozdyk beats Stevenson.

:rip: Krusher. I always liked you because you're a jerk-and so am I-but it's time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yR-wko94cw&t=171s

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 5, 2018

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I posted awhile back when Kovalev’s next fight was being lined up that I expected him to lose his next big fight, so I’m not surprised at this outcome. Dude’s 35, smokes and drinks, doesn’t seem to learn from/like his trainers, and looked diminished from his prime from the first Ward fight on. Now it appears his punch resistance is mostly gone as well. Ideally he should hang it up but of course he’ll continue on, but he’ll lose to any big name at 175 going forward now.

Alvarez is alright but not the best in the division. Would like to see him against Bivol, Beterbiev, or Gvozdyk.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I posted awhile back when Kovalev’s next fight was being lined up that I expected him to lose his next big fight, so I’m not surprised at this outcome. Dude’s 35, smokes and drinks, doesn’t seem to learn from/like his trainers, and looked diminished from his prime from the first Ward fight on. Now it appears his punch resistance is mostly gone as well. Ideally he should hang it up but of course he’ll continue on, but he’ll lose to any big name at 175 going forward now.

Alvarez is alright but not the best in the division. Would like to see him against Bivol, Beterbiev, or Gvozdyk.

Been meaning to ask; now that it seems that BJS-Andrade is now official do you give Andrade any chance of winning or do you think (like I do) that hes just been too inactive and Saunders will outbox hin?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

Been meaning to ask; now that it seems that BJS-Andrade is now official do you give Andrade any chance of winning or do you think (like I do) that hes just been too inactive and Saunders will outbox hin?

I think it’s kind of impossible to call. Not only are they both enigmas, their styles almost guarantee a hard to score fight.

I think Andrade is straight up more talented than Saunders. But like you said, Andrade has been very inactive, whereas Saunders has been on a roll as of late. Saunders should rightly be the betting favourite, but I’m probably more bullish than most on Andrade’s chances.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The first Matchroom USA card is going to be on October 6th in Chicago and to be honest it's pretty garbage but that won't stop me from going there, getting drunk as hell and thrown out of Wintrust Arena before the main card begins but after taking pictures with Andy Fonfara

Jessie Vargas - Thomas Dulorme
Jarrell Miller - Thomas Adamek (yikes)
Artur Beterbiev - Callum Johnson (IBF light heavyweight title)
Danny Roman - Gavin McDonnell (WBC super bantamweight title)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Good to see Beterbiev out, his career has been a travesty of inactivity so far. 175 is a hot division now, and he could make some noise.

Miller weighed over 300 pounds in his last fight, and now he's turned down an IBF eliminator with Kubrat Pulev to fight a 41 year old irrelevant formerly retired former lightheavyweight in Tomasz Adamek. Smh.