Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Wow, thank you for that write up and the pictures. That was amazing. And that poem is just haunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Krankenstyle posted:

The French inscription in the first photo actually said they were buried by a barrage, but maybe the monument itself is still named after the bayonet story?

As I remember from visiting that place as a kid, the story is that they were about to go over the top, bayonets fixed, when they were suddenly buried. I don't think they said anything about the Germans reburying them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What was that about a paranormal experience?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kassad posted:

As I remember from visiting that place as a kid, the story is that they were about to go over the top, bayonets fixed, when they were suddenly buried. I don't think they said anything about the Germans reburying them.

O poo poo sorry, I must've misread

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Tendai posted:

Wow, thank you for that write up and the pictures. That was amazing. And that poem is just haunting.

Your words and photographs combine to form a poem of their own.

What, may I ask, was the paranormal experience?

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
As mentioned earlier, the Luftwaffe would dump unused ordinance in the South after visiting London, so Hampshire has a heck of a bunch of that stuff.

My grandfather was cycling to work one morning (about 5am, butchers started early) when the shop he was headed to exploded and knocked him off his bike. If he'd been any earlier, that air raid would have killed him.

So, his workplace was a crater. Did he go home to recover from the trauma? Nope, he just got back on his bicycle, went to another butcher shop, and got a job there instead.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Technocrat posted:

As mentioned earlier, the Luftwaffe would dump unused ordinance in the South after visiting London, so Hampshire has a heck of a bunch of that stuff.

My grandfather was cycling to work one morning (about 5am, butchers started early) when the shop he was headed to exploded and knocked him off his bike. If he'd been any earlier, that air raid would have killed him.

So, his workplace was a crater. Did he go home to recover from the trauma? Nope, he just got back on his bicycle, went to another butcher shop, and got a job there instead.

Reading about the English response to Germany during WW2 has always been amazing. There's a really great picture of a few British dudes just casually browsing a library that has a crater in the middle of it. The story goes that a bomb fell through the building but didn't blow up. So it was just kind of there, in the basement, full of explosives that could have detonated at any time.

The response of the dudes in the library was "gently caress it, this was my day to go to the library so I'm going to a drat library." The psychological resilience displayed during that time was incredible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The UK put a lot of effort into homefront morale and encouraging people to keep living their lives as normal except for a few changes to their diet and daily routine. InRange TV did an excellent (as usual) series where Ian spent a week eating the food a British two-person family would have for a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5993lPFEwaE

They actually had enough food and their health even improved somewhat over time. While black markets and other forms of cheating did exist, the nation as a whole participated in rationing all the way up to the king and queen.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

During WWII, my grandfather had a farm in the Netherlands. Because people need to eat, nazi occupation or not, he was allowed by the nazis to continue farming with relative freedom.

He told the story, and my dad passed it on to me, that one day, a British bomber flew over, towards Germany. It circled for a while, then turned back, dumped its bombs over an empty field (which happened to be my granddad's) and then went back to Britain. My granddad seemed convinced that the British pilot chickened out, kept circling to use up his fuel as if he went to Germany, and told his commander that he actually bombed Germany.

In any case, my grandpa said he saw the plane drop 6 bombs, but only 5 exploded and left craters. He believed that the sixth one landed on a slope and slid into a ditch without hitting the trigger.

I have no idea how much of this story is true and how much has gotten forgotten after it went to my dad and then to me, but what I do know is that when someone bought that old field a decade or two ago to build a greenhouse, my dad told em about the supposedly unexploded bomb, how it probably ended up underground after sitting in that ditch for who knows how long, and that they should make sure they don't drive foundation poles for the greenhouse straight into the bomb. My dad could point out exactly where it was supposed to be.

So some guys came by with a metal detector, and all they found was some metal scrap, but nothing that looked like it would've ever been part of a bomb. So the bomb remains a mystery, if it ever existed.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Jul 28, 2018

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Pinball posted:

The largest French graveyard from the Great War. The Ossuary stands just behind.

There was a spot in this graveyard reserved for the general who saved Verdun, who restored morale and confidence to the French army after the mutinies of 1917, and who was regarded as the greatest French hero of the Great War - a certain Philippe Pétain.

In 1945 he was sentenced to death for treason, but the sentence was commuted by Charles de Gaulle (then head of the provisional government of France). Pétain was stripped of all military ranks and honours, save that of Marshall of France. He was imprisoned in the citadel on Île d'Yeu, died there in 1951, and was buried in a cemetery near the citadel.

In 1973, his coffin was stolen from the Île d'Yeu cemetery by nationalists who demanded he be interred at Douaumont. However, the coffin was later recovered by the authorities, and reburied on Île d'Yeu.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
As a prelude to the battle of Messines, British engineers had dug deep tunnels beneath the German lines and planted large caches of explosives (called "mines" because they were placed in a mine) at 26 different spots, ranging between 8000 and 43000 kgs of TNT. When they were detonated in the early morning of June 7th 1917, it was the largest non-nuclear explosion in history. The sound was recorded as far away as Dublin, and it is estimated to have killed some 10.000 German soldiers. Prior to the battle, the British general Harington had told the press "Gentlemen, I don’t know whether we are going to make history tomorrow, but at any rate we shall change geography".

On that morning of June 7th 1917, 20 of the 26 mines went off. The 21st exploded when it was hit by lightning in 1955.
Five remain, somewhere beneath the soil of Flanders.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Mr. Sunshine posted:

There was a spot in this graveyard reserved for the general who saved Verdun, who restored morale and confidence to the French army after the mutinies of 1917, and who was regarded as the greatest French hero of the Great War - a certain Philippe Pétain.

In 1945 he was sentenced to death for treason, but the sentence was commuted by Charles de Gaulle (then head of the provisional government of France). Pétain was stripped of all military ranks and honours, save that of Marshall of France. He was imprisoned in the citadel on Île d'Yeu, died there in 1951, and was buried in a cemetery near the citadel.

In 1973, his coffin was stolen from the Île d'Yeu cemetery by nationalists who demanded he be interred at Douaumont. However, the coffin was later recovered by the authorities, and reburied on Île d'Yeu.

Also he was a fascist and Nazi collaborator, so don't feel too bad for him.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Mr. Sunshine posted:

As a prelude to the battle of Messines, British engineers had dug deep tunnels beneath the German lines and planted large caches of explosives (called "mines" because they were placed in a mine) at 26 different spots, ranging between 8000 and 43000 kgs of TNT. When they were detonated in the early morning of June 7th 1917, it was the largest non-nuclear explosion in history. The sound was recorded as far away as Dublin, and it is estimated to have killed some 10.000 German soldiers. Prior to the battle, the British general Harington had told the press "Gentlemen, I don’t know whether we are going to make history tomorrow, but at any rate we shall change geography".

On that morning of June 7th 1917, 20 of the 26 mines went off. The 21st exploded when it was hit by lightning in 1955.

Here are some pictures.

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Jul 29, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
UXO chat makes me think of the saying “The only thing worse than hearing a boom when you don’t expect one is not hearing one when you’re expecting one”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Somewhere between forty and two hundred tonnes of TNT. NBD.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mr. Sunshine posted:

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Technocrat posted:

Congratulations on being Norman Tebbit's grandson.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

Also he was a fascist and Nazi collaborator, so don't feel too bad for him.

Oh, no argument there. His regime was arguably trying to undo every liberal reform since 1789. He changed the national moto from "Liberty, equality, brotherhood" to "Work, family, nation". He helped raise volunteer workers and an entire SS regiment to aid the Nazis. It was infinitely safer to be a Jew in Italian-occupied France than in nominally independent Vichy France.

There's just something I find sort of melancholy about the fact that, had he died in 1939, he'd be remembered as the greatest French war hero of the 20th century. Instead, he's become the very definition of a traitor and collaborator.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mr. Sunshine posted:

There's just something I find sort of melancholy about the fact that, had he died in 1939, he'd be remembered as the greatest French war hero of the 20th century. Instead, he's become the very definition of a traitor and collaborator.

Not coincidently, many of the character taints which make a person very useful in war also make them absolute rubbish during peace.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Not coincidently, many of the character taints which make a person very useful in war also make them absolute rubbish during peace.

Ah yes, that famously bucolic 1939-1945 French peacetime.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

chitoryu12 posted:

The UK put a lot of effort into homefront morale and encouraging people to keep living their lives as normal except for a few changes to their diet and daily routine. InRange TV did an excellent (as usual) series where Ian spent a week eating the food a British two-person family would have for a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5993lPFEwaE

They actually had enough food and their health even improved somewhat over time. While black markets and other forms of cheating did exist, the nation as a whole participated in rationing all the way up to the king and queen.

The BBC series called Wartime Farm is also worth checking out. It follows what went on on a typical farm over the course of the war, and how it related to overall food production and rationing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sweevo posted:

The BBC series called Wartime Farm is also worth checking out. It follows what went on on a typical farm over the course of the war, and how it related to overall food production and rationing.

Supersizers Go Wartime is also very good.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If you like this thread, you should watch all of Supersizers

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Wasn’t this how the duke of Wellington worked out? Fantastic in defeating Napoleon, but bad when he returned home and inevitably went into politics?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

If you like this thread, you should watch all of Supersizers

Just note that they do spread a few myths, like "All water was basically toxic forever because people were too stupid to not dump raw sewage in it so everyone drank beer instead."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cacafuego posted:

Wasn’t this how the duke of Wellington worked out? Fantastic in defeating Napoleon, but bad when he returned home and inevitably went into politics?

The nickname "Iron Duke" originated not from his steadfastness in battle but because he had to have iron bars fitted over his windows to stop them from being smashed by angry protesters every time he blocked reforms to the system.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Marius was called the third founder of Rome but his politics was always weird.

Though his worse excess happened when he was really old and you could blame it on that.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Wheat Loaf posted:

The nickname "Iron Duke" originated not from his steadfastness in battle but because he had to have iron bars fitted over his windows to stop them from being smashed by angry protesters every time he blocked reforms to the system.

I'm doing research for a paper on Irish history at the moment and there's a very good letter where some protesters attack the carriage of a high-ranking English governor and throw a rock at his head, and then go to his house and break a bunch of the windows. When you're reading 100+ letters where protestant politicians are griping about Irish people it's very satisfying to see them get attacked by a mob and almost killed.

I also made a copy of this letter. All the letters, especially the professional ones, have a really dense layer of formal 'polite' language, so I thought it was pretty funny to see how that language worked in this case, where the prime minister is basically ordering John Beresford (an Irish politician) to meet him in private, in the most polite language possible.

W.G. Hamilton (secretary for UK prime minister William Pitt) posted:

W G Hamilton to Beresford, Sept 22nd, 1785
“My dear sir – A letter which I received some days since from John Lees acquainted me that you would be soon in London, and Mr. Pitt informed me yesterday that you was actually arrived. I shall consider it as a breach of friendship never to be repaired if you leave England without passing some days with me at this place, to which Mr. Pitt returns on Sunday, and where you can converse with him much freer from interruption than in London. I flatter myself that you will not reject my propositions.
Believe me, my dear Sir, your most sincere and faithful, humble servant,
W.G. Hamilton.”

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Persian kings employed sub saharan african men to watch over their harems, so that if they got busy with one of the ladies and impregnated her, the half black baby would get them caught.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Continuing the UXO chat, I run a scuba diving operation on an island in the SW Pacific. The island was a major Japanese base and was heavily bombed/shelled by the Allies. About a quarter of our dive sites have some form of UXO on them, ranging from a 16" battleship shell, through 5", 40mm, depth charges, bombs etc etc, which means our dive briefings always includes "don't play with the UXO, it has been sitting there for 75 years so it would be a shame for it to blow up today."

The locals occasionally dig up UXO in their gardens or while doing roadworks. Their only real option for dealing with it is to light a fire on top and retire to a safe distance. No one generally tells anyone else when this is happening so we always get a nice surprise when a 75 year old shell suddenly cooks off during dinner time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Persian kings employed sub saharan african men to watch over their harems, so that if they got busy with one of the ladies and impregnated her, the half black baby would get them caught.

I'm pretty sure they were eunuchs.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That, and it's also a pretty lousy alarm system if it has a built-in nine-month delay.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus the babies don’t always come out visibly black so it’s just a terrible system all around

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also there's oral and anal sex.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also there's oral and anal sex.

Yes. We've all met your mother.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

8th-snype posted:

Yes. We've all met your mother.

At least she learned from her mistake.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
:drat:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would say “Did they not have multiple harem guards? How do you know which is responsible?”

But historically the solution is “collectively execute them and buy a new batch”.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

David W. Anthony: The Horse, the Wheel, and Language, p. 164 posted:

[The Cucuteni-Tripolye culture] is named after two archaeological sites: Cucuteni, discovered in eastern Romania in 1909, and Tripolye, discovered in central Ukraine in 1899. Romanian archaeologists use the name Cucuteni and Ukrainians use Tripolye, each with its own system of internal chronological divisions, so we must use cumbersome labels like Pre-Cucuteni III/Tripolye A to refer to a single prehistoric culture. There is a Borgeslike dreaminess to the Cucuteni pottery sequence: one phase (Cucuteni C) is not a phase at all but rather a type of pottery probably made outside the Cucuteni-Tripolye culture; another phase (Cucuteni A1) was defined before it was found, and never was found; still another (Cucuteni A5) was created in 1963 as a challenge for future scholars, and is now largely forgotten; and the whole sequence was first defined on the assumption, later proved wrong, that the Cucuteni A phase was the oldest, so later archaeologists had to invent the Pre-Cucuteni phases I, II, and III, one of which (Pre-Cucuteni I) might not exist. The positive side of this obsession with pottery types and phases is that the pottery is known and studied in minute detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I googled that James Graham poem to find out more about the author, but when you google the phrase "Make no mistake: he is dead. He does not sleep." you get a bunch of edgy veteran-themed shirts that say "make no mistake, the beast inside is sleeping, not dead."