Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Something like 80 percent of all Medicaid recipients are now covered under for-profit managed-care plans, including (especially) ultra-blue states like California. I think the last figure I read for California was that 90 percent of Medicaid recipients were in MC plans. (One in three people in the state are now covered by Medicaid.)

Private profiteers in the Medicaid sector are doing really, really well--even when they don't meet standards of care. Here's California, e.g.:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-medicaid-insurance-profits-20171101-story.html

And the ACA was a boon to private managed-care plans, giving them revenue and profits they'd never seen before:

[ibid.]

So yeah: state and federal governments are gonna save money using MCOs rather than traditional FFS, but even the best part of the ACA, Medicaid expansion, ensured that the bloodsucking sector would get their non-inconsiderable vig.

eta: Medicaid MCOs have to have an 85 percent medical-loss ratio, but it's hard to see how that's meaningful to reining in costs when it results in profits for those plans tripling within two years.

This guy gets it

Willa Rogers posted:

Not at all; private insurers do not have to abide by government controls on premium or provider pricing (beyond the weaksauce regulations within the ACA).

But the greatest difference between single-payer insurance and private insurance is that with a plan like Bernie's Medicare-for-All legislation, private for-profit insurance becomes irrelevant--thus saving tens of billions of dollars now spent toward for-profit middlemen that add no value for healthcare "consumers."

Who are these middle men? Are you talking about Brokers?

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

RisqueBarber posted:

This guy gets it

Who are these middle men? Are you talking about Brokers?

Profit in health insurance is directly taken from patients in the form of higher premiums, or in employer sponsored plans, lower wages. Health insurers are useless middlemen in general. They are not necessary if everyone is covered a la the NHS and rates are set uniformly.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The ultimate value based care reform would be to eliminate health insurers and PBMs but where would we get bad posts then?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Ever since Crashrat made that very relatable and touching post, this thread has become nothing but pompous dipshits talking over everyone's head, trying to gainsay each other and wave their "Look how smart I am" cocks around, and I fancy that I'm not the only one who thinks so. I and others come here to keep up to date and to learn, and certain recent posters aren't helping anything. Either stop wanking off in thread, shut the gently caress up and take it to private messages or I'd say it's just about time for a mod to force everyone to take a little thread holiday.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

Profit in health insurance is directly taken from patients in the form of higher premiums, or in employer sponsored plans, lower wages. Health insurers are useless middlemen in general. They are not necessary if everyone is covered a la the NHS and rates are set uniformly.

Health insurers are doing the necessary health plan administration work the NHS does today.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Reik posted:

Health insurers are doing the necessary health plan administration work the NHS does today.

Not only that, but in US they're doing the necessary health plan administration three or four times per person, based on how much we spend on it

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Devor posted:

Not only that, but in US they're doing the necessary health plan administration three or four times per person, based on how much we spend on it

Are you referencing our per capita healthcare spend compared to the UKs? That would include the cost of the care itself, not just administration work.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/american_bridge/status/1007016301758484481?s=21

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

All those people with type 1 diabetes should have just taken better care of themselves.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Reik posted:

All those people with type 1 diabetes should have just taken better care of themselves.

Genetic disorders are clearly your parents' fault. How else are we going to ensure that they can't afford to have any more kids and you won't grow up to pass on your bad genes?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reik posted:

They mean "take care of" the same way Mafioso mean "take care of"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Friendly reminder that Rick Scott has actively defrauded Medicare in the past and looks forward to doing it again after he's term limited as Governor (or possibly as Senator assuming he beats Bill Nelson).

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Reik posted:

Based on the maximum administrative overhead of 20%...

Do you think that the total cost of delivering healthcare is 20% constituted by administration?

Because I know no loving shortage of clinicians that add administrative overhead for no other reason that hubris that typing up their notes (scribes) and checking vitals & background (medical assistants) is beneath them.

Clinicians that seriously refuse to write up SOAP notes, or similar, because that's "admin work" really grinds my gears.

These clinicians usually argue that it makes them more efficient - it allows them to move between patients faster - which would make sense if they were trying to see more patients...but for many clinicians I know it just allows them to duck out of the office 2-3 hours before everyone else.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
so we all hate living and not being dead right?
https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/1009119248826929153

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

So, this just happened.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/1009946828408750080

What happens now?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
it goes to the senate and nothing happens. Literally its just a thing for the base, the senate has so many things to take up before november including a spending bill. Most likely the senate shelves it and then tries to get the spending bill through before president numb nuts vetoes it right before the election. Also no one in congress is pushing for another healthcare showdown right before the midterms specially after the debacle with the child separation issue

Oh out of committee? lol this is nothing they do this every few months and it gets put in an eternal hole because the leadership isnt that suicidal yet

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Also the Senate GOP is short a senator since the last healthcare fight because Sessions' seat got nabbed by a Dem who campaigned on protecting CHIP and Medicaid. It's something else to worry about, but I wouldn't lose sleep for now if you can avoid it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Grammarchist posted:

Also the Senate GOP is short a senator since the last healthcare fight because Sessions' seat got nabbed by a Dem who campaigned on protecting CHIP and Medicaid. It's something else to worry about, but I wouldn't lose sleep for now if you can avoid it.

Thank you for the reassurance. My mind has been racing due to some personal issues, and this is one of those things that I just can't calm down and rationalize over. The brain just goes from 0 to :siren: DEATH :siren:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I saw this yesterday. Koch bros. think tank has said medicare for all will save $2 trillion over 10 years.

My thought is republicans latch on to MFA with something like this as the argument to try to kill blue wave races.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I saw this yesterday. Koch bros. think tank has said medicare for all will save $2 trillion over 10 years.

My thought is republicans latch on to MFA with something like this as the argument to try to kill blue wave races.

not a chance in hell that will happen, unfortunately

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Koch brothers just want the absolute maximum level of freedom and profit for businesses.

Lots of businesses (that aren't the insurance companies or medical providers that make up 22% of US GDP) would love Medicare for All; if it wasn't funded through a payroll tax that the employer pays half of like Medicare/SS currently is.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If healthcare premiums paid for employees weren't tax deductible we would have Medicare for All tomorrow.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The GOP won't, but large self-insured employers have been throwing a fit about rising health care costs for a while. Even considering the tax breaks they get from providing health insurance to employees, costs are so high now that they're attempting to shove the entirety of the cost burden to their employees.

Which will be bad, and that's what you need to watch out for because they are going to lobby hard for it a couple years from now.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Reik posted:

If healthcare premiums paid for employees weren't tax deductible we would have Medicare for All tomorrow.

I had thought that the ESI tax exclusion cost only 300 or so billion per year but it’s actually closer to 850. Over 10 years that’s nearly 10 trillion in revenue!!!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Koch bros aren’t playing three dimensional chess. They didn’t want to prove m4a is cheaper, they did it by accident.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
I plan to work till I die, hopefully before needing to draw social security or Medicare. Preferably space cancer on a moon base.

I also am piling up assets in IRAs and 401ks so I can put them into a trust upon my death and leave them to the relations of mine which take up my space colonization dream.

I tell my nephews and nieces that thier uncle will leave them a pile of treasure on the Moon.

Embrace your coming death and find a way to make it have meaning. Quit trying to hold on to an ever declining quality of life while draining your resources and leaving nothing for your families.

We waste a tremendous amount of resources extending people's life but not the quality of thier life's (especially in the last 6 months). We spend something like 6 dollars on people over 65 for every 1 on people under 18. This is a dysfunctional greontocrcy regime that must instead invest in youth.

Every American should be required to fill out an advanced directive before being given access to any form of government healthcare or old age insurance.
Once a citizen reaches 6 months from thier projected death they should be switched to hospice care.

KingFisher fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 3, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It is possible that you misunderstand the dangers of applying population statistics to individuals. It is also possible that this is not your largest issue to tackle.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Crashrat posted:

Based on the maximum administrative overhead of 20%...

Do you think that the total cost of delivering healthcare is 20% constituted by administration?

Because I know no loving shortage of clinicians that add administrative overhead for no other reason that hubris that typing up their notes (scribes) and checking vitals & background (medical assistants) is beneath them.

Clinicians that seriously refuse to write up SOAP notes, or similar, because that's "admin work" really grinds my gears.

These clinicians usually argue that it makes them more efficient - it allows them to move between patients faster - which would make sense if they were trying to see more patients...but for many clinicians I know it just allows them to duck out of the office 2-3 hours before everyone else.

Scribes are awesome. They're an extremely good use of money, IMO. So long as the industry model is moving towards "move as many bodies thru the hospital as fast as possible" it makes total sense to hire someone at $35k/yr to do an admin task that for whatever reason people think will just like magically pop out of the MD's rear end during a day of 30m clinic appointments booked (or overbooked) back to back.

Particularly in clinical environments like the ED, a good scribe is worth their weight in gold.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Scribes are awesome. They're an extremely good use of money, IMO. So long as the industry model is moving towards "move as many bodies thru the hospital as fast as possible" it makes total sense to hire someone at $35k/yr to do an admin task that for whatever reason people think will just like magically pop out of the MD's rear end during a day of 30m clinic appointments booked (or overbooked) back to back.

Particularly in clinical environments like the ED, a good scribe is worth their weight in gold.

might be good to pay them more than 35k, based on that assessment.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Discendo Vox posted:

might be good to pay them more than 35k, based on that assessment.

Yea I mean i'm not opposed to that at all.

Some private practices that hire in-house scribes will offer 40-50k/yr salaries. $35k is based on what I know local scribing companies pay. Because they negotiate contracts with big hospitals that don't want to create scribing services in house, they hire college grads/pre-meds and pay them dirt and keep the profits for themselves.

Frankly I'd rather have a scribe I know and trust and that is paid fairly and motivated to show up to work and do a good job. Investing extra in their salary/benefits is worthwhile IMO.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 4, 2018

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Wait a minute, those employee wellness programs have no positive effect on health and are just barely disguised worker surveillance efforts meant to get around doctor-patient privacy laws? I'm shocked!

https://twitter.com/katecrawford/status/1026485054070038528?s=21

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Wait a minute, those employee wellness programs have no positive effect on health and are just barely disguised worker surveillance efforts meant to get around doctor-patient privacy laws? I'm shocked!

https://twitter.com/katecrawford/status/1026485054070038528?s=21

Yeah they're an insulting scam and I resent them with every bone in my body.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Yeah they're an insulting scam and I resent them with every bone in my body.

At a previous place I worked at, completing the wellness programs meant paying like 100/month less in insurance. Don't know what they would be harvesting of particular value though since I just clicked through what nonsense surveys and exercises they had as quickly as possible.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Usually they involve providing employees with Fitbits and then harvesting the data about every step they take and their sleep cycles and heart rates, and encouraging them to track their diets and harvesting that data too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Also stuff like pushing employees to compete against eachother for great prizes like 'small discounts on their health insurance'.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

baquerd posted:

At a previous place I worked at, completing the wellness programs meant paying like 100/month less in insurance. Don't know what they would be harvesting of particular value though since I just clicked through what nonsense surveys and exercises they had as quickly as possible.

At my institution (And at my current level of training) they used this program to just give us worse insurance benefits (my premiums are paid by my employer)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Reik posted:

Wait lmao, so the government is subsidizing employer insurance anyway? Kind of blows the "we shouldnt have universal healthcare because people love their employer care" talking point that right wing democratic shills were propagating out of the water.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Good loving lord I’m heated. My mom had to cancer her mammogram. Tricare doesn’t cover 3D imaging mammograms. No hospital in our area offers the old type, because, you know, it’s 2018.

How the gently caress

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Good loving lord I’m heated. My mom had to cancer her mammogram. Tricare doesn’t cover 3D imaging mammograms. No hospital in our area offers the old type, because, you know, it’s 2018.

How the gently caress

For what it's worth, working at the VA is also kind of like practicing medicine in 1995

EMR? whats that????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mila kunis posted:

Wait lmao, so the government is subsidizing employer insurance anyway? Kind of blows the "we shouldnt have universal healthcare because people love their employer care" talking point that right wing democratic shills were propagating out of the water.

It's not just subsidized; it's the largest tax break among all:

Excluding from tax of employer contributions to employee's health insurance costs ($854 billion)
Reduced tax rates on dividends and long-term capital gains ($649 billion)
Exclusion from tax on contributions and gains in 401(k)s and other defined contribution plans ($624 billion)
Expanded child tax credit ($526 billion)
Exclusion from tax on contributions and gains in defined benefit pensions ($470 billion)
Earned Income Tax Credit ($363 billion)
Charitable contributions deduction ($261 billion)
Obamacare health insurance subsidies ($231 billion)
Mortgage interest deduction ($217 billion)
State and local tax deduction ($208 billion)

https://money.cnn.com/2018/06/11/pf/taxes/biggest-tax-breaks/index.html