Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

man i hate when i finish a sidequest then only afterward see a better way to do it

i did the singing girl one by beating up her dad(i beat up the debt-collector first and nothing happened) then later i find a bar with a dude who's like GOLLY I WISH I COULD FIND A NEW SINGER and i'm like "gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bombadilillo posted:

Leghold makes me use hunter as a secondary for thief or warrior. But hannit def gets worse as the game goes on.

Yeah, I was really big on H'aanit at the beginning of the game, but it's weird how she seemed to fall off. I used to be crazy about the AoE move from Linde, but her skills were pretty weak unless something was weak to arrows, and even then, she didn't have a big enough SP pool to use Arrowstorm very often. And once I started using her animals more often, it was just a pain in the rear end to keep trying and failing to catch them. I swapped her out for Olberic when I was just starting to get over her, and I really intended to put her back in after Olberic's chapter, but I never wanted to go back.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the only reason I think I'd trot H'aanit around is for her big healing monsters.

If she actually had a decent SP pool to offset Arrowstorm's SP cost that'd be something, but her only real advantage over Olberic is more Eva and slightly more Acc/Crit.

Unlike Olberic she doesn't even get weapon skills for both her weapon types. Hunter is truly a bad job saved by one skill and some decent stats.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hunter is truly a bad job saved by one skill and some decent stats.

Second Serving and Patience are also very very good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Haanit's advantage is that she can play support because Leg Trap is that busted.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Some Numbers posted:

Second Serving and Patience are also very very good.

this is true

imo Hunter is decent in that it synergizes well with something that adds more weapon coverage and better active skills but its the kind of thing where if I have say, 8 turns, I might use a Hunter skill in 2 of them and whatever the other job is in the other 6.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Leghold Trap is a strong contender for the best skill in the game, so having that plus single target and AoE versions of "ruin Bow armor" makes a pretty powerful class, even if it is one dimensional.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Octopath seems so simple but it's got so many nice quality bits to the battle system, like status effects always being useful and Steal not being garbage.

If they just made incidental dialogue easier to trigger, made Provoke not trash and made the Allure/Guide quests easier (oh right, your presumed dead sister is in this one town I never checked for 10 hours), I'd be really happier.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So are the advanced jobs meant to be obtained in the postgame or something? They have twice the HP of the Chapter 4 bosses. I wonder if I really need them though, I've already torn through two Chapter 4s without them.

In related news, putting Saving Grace on the entire party is loving hilarious. Oh someone got instakilled? Let me just use a large Olive of Life and have them come back with 9999 HP. :haw:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So are the advanced jobs meant to be obtained in the postgame or something? They have twice the HP of the Chapter 4 bosses. I wonder if I really need them though, I've already torn through two Chapter 4s without them.

In related news, putting Saving Grace on the entire party is loving hilarious. Oh someone got instakilled? Let me just use a large Olive of Life and have them come back with 9999 HP. :haw:

I got them near the end of my chapter 4's/post game and I'd say they're needed if you plan on playing the final boss of the game. If you're not going to put yourself through grinding hell then nah

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Considering that their dungeons are recommended level 50 and the Chapter 4's are recommended level 45 I'd say... yes.

That said, you can do them much earlier because the battle system owns :yeah:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Your Computer posted:

Considering that their dungeons are recommended level 50 and the Chapter 4's are recommended level 45 I'd say... yes.

That said, you can do them much earlier because the battle system owns :yeah:

Yeah, it turns out just getting 1 or 2 of the advanced jobs before you do any chapter 4s shreds the difficulty of the final bosses.

Sorcerer Cyrus can be easily buffed to the nines with divine skills to rip through boss health pools.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Xalidur posted:

Leghold Trap is a strong contender for the best skill in the game, so having that plus single target and AoE versions of "ruin Bow armor" makes a pretty powerful class, even if it is one dimensional.

It is, though I think other one-dimensional characters do their job better than H'aanit does her's, which is a shame. She practically requires subclassing to keep up with the others.

On the plus side, it does mean H'aanit can actually take whatever as a subclass so her role isn't strictly limited to physical attacks.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Xalidur posted:

Leghold Trap is a strong contender for the best skill in the game

I thought this until a couple of bosses completely ignored its effect to ruin me out of the blue. It's good, but it won't do poo poo to a rage phase.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Stelas posted:

I thought this until a couple of bosses completely ignored its effect to ruin me out of the blue. It's good, but it won't do poo poo to a rage phase.

Was this post game or something? I've never seen it ignored

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Enemies coming off a break always move first regardless of Leghold, is that what you were seeing?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Was this post game or something? I've never seen it ignored

Warmaster loving loves to ignore it in her later phases. It's usually just for one round though but it still sucks when she suddenly opens with 4 moves and wipes an unprepared party.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

H'aanit's(and hunter's) main problem is that she doesn't have the punch to justify the limited moveset. Olberic and Cyrus are one-trick ponies(at first with Cyrus, and Olberic always is) but they're insanely good at that one trick.

It's supposed to be made up for with her beast summons and while they can be extremely useful(hitting every enemy twice for specific weapon damages is nothing to sneeze at) it's not worth the hassle of constantly restocking them.

Though I guess this disadvantage is mitigated if she's a protagonist since she'll be super overleveled and able to easily capture whatever she wants, so there's that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If H'aanit had at least one axe skill (replacing something crappy like Thunderbird) at least she'd have something. As is she's kinda reliant on subbing Apothecary or Warrior for a good damage skill.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

If H'aanit had at least one axe skill (replacing something crappy like Thunderbird) at least she'd have something. As is she's kinda reliant on subbing Apothecary or Warrior for a good damage skill.

Yeah, thats all she needs. Warrior has spear and sword skills, and both are useful and have different uses. Hunter has 1 skill that is practically useless unless H'aanit is in the party, and one of her random hit moves is an upgraded version of her other. Linde exists, but she drops off kinda quickly in damage as the game goes on, and other hunters don't get her.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Thunderbird's existence is basically why H'aanit never get's anything other than Bow Skills. A character is basically focused on either physical or magical skills in their moveset and this sets up certain rules for a character's default moveset:

A character with at least one single-target and one multi-target elemental spell, or who possesses multiple elemental spells that hits all enemies never gains a skill that makes use of their weapon equips. (Ophilia, Cyrus, Tressa, Primrose)

A character that possesses one or more physical weapon skills only gets them for one type (if they wield multiple types by default) in exchange for a single-target elemental spell. (Alfyn, Therion, H'aanit)

A character who possesses one or more physical weapon skills for both weapon types they get by default gets no elemental attacks. (Olberic)

Characters who lean more towards magic (whether through having at least one multi-target offensive magic spell in their repertoire, or possessing a skillset consisting of multiple healing or supportive spells used on teammates, alongside a Divine Skill that buffs you instead of dealing damage) also don't start out with more than one weapon, while characters who lean more towards being physically inclined get two weapons by default. Tressa and Alfyn both support and are exceptions to this rule due to their balanced, jack-of-all-trades nature. (Tressa can equip two weapons by default but has no skills that actually use her equipped weapons, her support skills benefits herself only by default, half of her skillset deals damage to the enemy including her Divine Skill; Alfyn only gets Axes but has access one single-target and one multi-target attack that use your equipped Axe's stats in exchange for one single-target elemental spell as your main source of elemental damage (in case one of you mo-fos thought you'd be a smartass and bring up Concoct) by default from Alfyn, half of his skillset supports your teammates including your divine skill.)

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I got the advanced jobs after chapter 2. I think I was probably around level 35-40 for my characters with my main being around 45.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I did most of the advanced jobs between chapters 2 and 3 for my characters. If you have the right skills and strategy, they aren't super hard.

Poison is your best friend against most of them.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I think the biggest thing I learned from doing them so early is that being patient in battle is absolutely key to some of the boss fights.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I saved the advanced jobs for after I was done with chapter 3, though the main reason is because at that point my main character had learned all the skills and i didn't want to waste their jp anymore.

I'm pretty sure you could do Archmagus at lower levels, the one strat completely destroys him.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I love the 2D sprites in 3D environment aesthetic. It reminds me of Ragnarok Online so much.

I also love that they took the Final Fantasy 1-6 thing where when you fight a human boss enemy, the enemy is like super huge and detailed while you're still the same sprites. Some of the effects are overdone but I love the aesthetic of this game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Leghold trap gets ignored if the boss gives themselves more turns, but it's only for the next turn usually then they all go back to the end.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Devoyniche posted:

I love the 2D sprites in 3D environment aesthetic. It reminds me of Ragnarok Online so much.

I also love that they took the Final Fantasy 1-6 thing where when you fight a human boss enemy, the enemy is like super huge and detailed while you're still the same sprites. Some of the effects are overdone but I love the aesthetic of this game.

I particularly like that they did this with (Olberic ch3 spoilers) the duel with Erhardt. Though the fight was over so fast I didn't get a good look at all the details. :/

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I like that after 60+ hours of having Therion in my party and taking him out for the first time, the next time I saw him in an inn he's all "Get lost I prefer to work alone. Urgh I suppose I can help you if I must".

Dude we've just been on an epic journey around the world together.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Frankston posted:

I like that after 60+ hours of having Therion in my party and taking him out for the first time, the next time I saw him in an inn he's all "Get lost I prefer to work alone. Urgh I suppose I can help you if I must".

Dude we've just been on an epic journey around the world together.

to be fair, his entire character arc more or less revolves around how he's full of poo poo on that front

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haanit you can do better than Ophelia

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The boss battle music is one of the best boss battle musics in any video game. The sound is very good overall. Good headphones make sound effects and music really pop in this game. Attacks and spells landing sound vicious.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Ophilia is basically exactly what H'aanit would need in a partner. She's calm and understanding and wouldn't be stressed by H'aanit's need to go HUNT whenever the urge strikes, and would listen intently to any tales upon her return. She can also handle herself so H'aanit wouldn't have to worry while she's out!

That felt weird to even type but here we are.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

They're a good couple, and I'm not just saying that because it's canon :colbert:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Ophilia is basically exactly what H'aanit would need in a partner. She's calm and understanding and wouldn't be stressed by H'aanit's need to go HUNT whenever the urge strikes, and would listen intently to any tales upon her return. She can also handle herself so H'aanit wouldn't have to worry while she's out!

That felt weird to even type but here we are.

H'aanit prefers people who are stronger than her though. (Not that she's given romance much thought.)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Isn't H'aanit into Aliac or whatever that guys name is?

I mean they set it up and she gets teased about it when she describes her dream man

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Sister Ophilia is friggin' outrageous.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sister Ophilia is friggin' outrageous.

Truly, truly, truly outrageous

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Has anyone made an official chart as to which Octopathers are horny for which other Octopathers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Has anyone made an official chart as to which Octopathers are horny for which other Octopathers?

Tressa is only horny for money and adventure.