Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Jan posted:

Woke up at 4 AM to start a brisket -- only a partial cut which I'm too new to tell whether it's the flat or the point. I guess that wasn't necessary, because it hit 150F 3 hours later, I wrapped it 1 hour after that and now it's nearing the 190-200F range 3 hours after that. I was expecting a 12-15 hour job, not 7-8! :argh:

For that matter, can a brisket veteran chime in on what this might be?

Based on the layout of the fat cap, the meat fibers and the location of the incision, I tend to think that this is the flat that was completely separated instead of just chopping a slice of both. :shrug:

Larrymer posted:

Looks like a flat, they're usually more lean but still can have a fat cap on the other side. I've also never seen a point sold by itself. Only flats and full packers.

That's fuckin' weird man. Gun to my head, I would say it's a SUPER trimmed packer with half of the flat cut off for some inexplicable reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah someone took a flat off of that.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
When they start breaking down packers at retail like that, doesn't the (trimmed) point usually end up as ground beef with a proud BRISKET label?

That's what I had guessed from looking at the styrofoam-and-plastic-wrap selection at HEBs around Austin.

Just in re: why you see flats but not points alone.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Doom Rooster posted:

That's fuckin' weird man. Gun to my head, I would say it's a SUPER trimmed packer with half of the flat cut off for some inexplicable reason.

Yeah, some context -- as we were checking out, the cashier asked us if we were the ones who had called in for a brisket. (We weren't.) Since this was a gourmet kind of deli with a butcher counter and not Costco where it's all-or-nothing, I suspect that whoever had booked the brisket had already come and asked for just the point. That left us with just the flat, which was still more than we cared for in a first attempt, so we asked for that to be split up.

With a bit more planning, we could've gotten a full packer for the price of that hunk (11$/lb). :negative:

It was pretty great, though. If the flat is supposed to be the cheap/boring part, I ain't even mad. The Traeger continues to provide mindless, easy smoking. Since we don't have a cooler to hold the meat, I ended up stashing it in our instant pot and turning on Keep Warm whenever it threatened to dip below 140F. :yum:

Was too busy running around to line up 3 different sides so I forgot to take a picture while it was still freshly carved:

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I wanted to smoke it at 350° so the skin would crisp up, but the Egg never really got above 320° probably because I forgot to clean out the ash beforehand. Still came out pretty good... maybe a little underdone cuz Dad insisted on pulling it at 166° for some reason, but good.

Underdone? 165 is done by USDA standards. Chicken isn't like brisket or pork butt where you achieve benefits by going past the standard serving temps as you don't have the collagen to break down. With chicken you ideally want to cook to temp and get a crispy skin, and it appears you did both.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

ada shatan posted:

Underdone? 165 is done by USDA standards. Chicken isn't like brisket or pork butt where you achieve benefits by going past the standard serving temps as you don't have the collagen to break down. With chicken you ideally want to cook to temp and get a crispy skin, and it appears you did both.

Was gonna say this.

Your dad was right to pull it. Nothing is worse than dried out chicken cooked to like 190. Also, you can try spatchcocking it next time if you want to get a more even cook.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Doom Rooster posted:

I'd buy that explanation, too. Looking at his finished product pic I'd say it's a flat though. :iiam:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ada shatan posted:

Oh, okay great. Thanks for telling me. :)

Steak pics coming up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

RisqueBarber posted:

Was gonna say this.

Your dad was right to pull it. Nothing is worse than dried out chicken cooked to like 190. Also, you can try spatchcocking it next time if you want to get a more even cook.

Yep, millions of Thanksgiving dinners are ruined from this.

Countless pork chops, steaks, chickens, etc.

Everyone is amazed when we host Thanksgiving.

"My god, how did you get this so moist?"

The response: "Throw out the instructions."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Has anybody in this thread ever tried one of these automatic grill grate cleaner things (or something like it)? Do they work at all?

I’m not thinking about getting one, I’m just curious if they work or not (I’m assuming no).

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
The videos in the ad itself make it look like it doesn't work for poo poo, and in addition, deposits vast amounts of those tiny metal shavings on the grates. Those can then attach themselves to food and cause serious health issues if eaten, which is why you shouldn't use any if those cheap grill brushes that use those as the primary abrasive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The best grill grate cleaner is the relentless assault of purifying flame.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am a lazy piece of poo poo. I desperately want a roomba. I can't really afford it, but I pay for people to come clean my house. I will circle a parking lot at least twice looking for a close parking spot. I setup a drip irrigation system not at all because it's better at wasting less water, but because turning the oscillating sprinkler twice to cover my garden was annoying...

Yet even I cannot understand how anyone could actually want that. Get the grill as hot as you can, close the lid, wait 5 minutes. Anything that is not vaporized will come off with 1-2 halfhearted scrubs of a brush. Like, I can clean the entire grate of my Weber 22.5 in easily under 10 seconds.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Is there any literature on adding smoke to stews/chilis/whatever you're braising? I made green chili this weekend on my kettle and added some smoke and it turned out great. The meat was pork shoulder that I cubed. Not getting much when I try googling it though other than the odd forums post, though, most of the recipes I'm seeing for smoked stews smoke the meat first, then put it in a pot/slowcooker to finish. Does smoke effectively penetrate into the liquid and effect the flavour? It seems like it did to me, but I ain't an expert. I just winged the whole process cause I was using the grill to roast chilis and then figured since the recipe was for 3-4 hours at 225 in the oven and I was using a BBQ safe cast iron dutch oven anyways I might as well give it a shot on the grill with some maplewood. The pork that was above the liquid got a nice little pink hue to it. Should I have smoked all the pork first, then braised it off the smoker (like most recipes seem to do)?

I mean obviously what I did was feasible cause it tastes mad good :colbert: . But I'm curious if there's a recommended way of doing it.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 1, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'd guess that you'd get the most smoked flavor by doing the meat for a couple hours on the smoker first to get a good smoke ring/start on a good bark, then cubing/ tossing it in your chili like normal and just cooking for a shorter time from there. The smoke on the outside of the meat should flavor the rest of the stuff I think. You could probably also just as a couple drops of high quality liquid smoke too.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
You could also place the whole bowl of chili in a chafing dish under something else you happen to be smoking. It will catch a bunch of smoke and also some delicious drippings.

Also, liquid smoke is terrible and should never be used ever

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

McSpankWich posted:

Also, liquid smoke is terrible and should never be used ever

This is so wrong. It's just smoke that's been captured through filtration. Don't be afraid of it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The trouble is it's hard to find actual liquid smoke; I think Wright's is the only findable brand. Colgin's, which is the top brand, is all molasses, vinegar, coloring, salt, etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anne Whateley posted:

The trouble is it's hard to find actual liquid smoke; I think Wright's is the only findable brand. Colgin's, which is the top brand, is all molasses, vinegar, coloring, salt, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-Natural-Hickory-Seasoning-Liquid/dp/B0023V2EWG/

Given how tiny an amount you need to get the flavor, this should last about loving forever. No ingredients but water and concentrated smoke.

I do love the review comment that is just "makes smokey flavor. not my favorite." Like... what did you think it would taste like my dude?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

The best grill grate cleaner is the relentless assault of purifying flame.

I like your style.

Step one:
Have propane tank. Grill size.

Step two:
Buy propane brush burner.

Step three:
Watch people freak out when you release the fury of a crapload of BTUs.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Gwaihir posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-Natural-Hickory-Seasoning-Liquid/dp/B0023V2EWG/

Given how tiny an amount you need to get the flavor, this should last about loving forever. No ingredients but water and concentrated smoke.

I do love the review comment that is just "makes smokey flavor. not my favorite." Like... what did you think it would taste like my dude?

Maybe he tried to use it as vape juice

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I just open all the vents and close the grill up after grilling to get the heat up a little more before it flames out, then soak the grates in water, or cover them in drenched paper towels/newspaper. poo poo wipes off like a charm with no hard abrasives whatsoever the next day.

On my old Weber grate, I used to use some steel wool for nasty crusts, but made sure to spray them off well afterwards. For my ceramic-treated grates on the off-set stickburner, that'd be a no-go due to the coating, but nothing really stuck to those either way.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Anne Whateley posted:

The primary ingredient in Colgin is mesquite smoke.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sorry for the imprecision, I should have said Colgin's features heavily and tastes of molasses, vinegar, coloring, salt, etc. It also includes water and "Natural _______ Smoke Flavor" so technically, yes, it is not all non-smoke ingredients, just mostly.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone tried making their own liquid smoke, or their own smoked seasonings?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

baquerd posted:

trying to make your own liquid smoke would probably be a pain in the rear end but smoking seasonings is pretty easy. people were talking about having smoked salt before.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

baquerd posted:

Serious Eats did an episode on making liquid smoke but I've never tried it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I want to make some smoked paprika. It's just the thing for putting in a rub when i have to do ribs in a pressure cooker.

Speaking of rubs, I've tried using celery salt in my last two rubs and was pleasantly surprised. It certainly adds another layer to the flavours without being overpowering.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Celery seed is a strong play, indeed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Has nothing to do with anything but last time I had smoke rolling I split some jalapeños and banana peppers down the center and put them in for about half an hour or so. They were delicious in Pico de gallo.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

wormil posted:

Has nothing to do with anything but last time I had smoke rolling I split some jalapeños and banana peppers down the center and put them in for about half an hour or so. They were delicious in Pico de gallo.

Do the same with the jalapeños, tomatillos, and an onion and you'll have a bitchin salsa verde I bet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

QuarkMartial posted:

Do the same with the jalapeños, tomatillos, and an onion and you'll have a bitchin salsa verde I bet.

That's a great idea. I don't care much for store bought salsa verde but I've never made it at home, my wife loves it though.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Smoked pico de gallo was a revelation for me. It's one of those things that doesn't take up too much space and makes for a great mid-smoke snack.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You can do all kinds of poo poo with smoked plants but this is my favorite so far:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I have too many tomatoes and chilis to know what to do with so I made bbq tortilla soup. I rubbed the chicken in annatto, lime juice, garlic, salt and peanut oil. Basically conchinita pibil rub. I smoked that stuff, added it to several pasilla chilis and an ancho in the pot then poached it. When the chicken was right I took that out, blended it up and served. It was absurd.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

wormil posted:

That's a great idea. I don't care much for store bought salsa verde but I've never made it at home, my wife loves it though.

I forgot the cilantro and lime and salt, but those are done to taste anyway. 12-14 tomatillos, an onion, and a jalapeño (or 3 or habaneros...), cilantro, lime, and salt, and I think that's it. Oh, and some olive oil, like a tablespoon or two.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:siren: I picked up the Stouffer's frozen lasagna :siren:

Would smoke it tonight. But plans made that impossible.

Hopefully this weekend for those on the edge of your seat.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Colostomy Bag posted:

:siren: I picked up the Stouffer's frozen lasagna :siren:

Would smoke it tonight. But plans made that impossible.

Hopefully this weekend for those on the edge of your seat.

:f5:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, I'm going in on this will a military mindset.

First step is estimating cooking time. Anyone that has cooked these things in the past with an oven (god help you) know they take a lot longer.

I got the smaller "family size" one that is 34 oz. Says about 65 minutes at 375.

I was shooting for 275 temps so I'm thing 2:30 for the cook.

Trying to figure out what rub to use.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone that has a MES and an A-Maze-N that can give me pointers? I just got my A-Maze-N and the first two times it barely burned any pellets. I usually keep the top vent almost closed. Do I need to open that more or maybe pull the bottom normal load chute for wood chip out a bit to get more air flow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Trastion posted:

Anyone that has a MES and an A-Maze-N that can give me pointers? I just got my A-Maze-N and the first two times it barely burned any pellets. I usually keep the top vent almost closed. Do I need to open that more or maybe pull the bottom normal load chute for wood chip out a bit to get more air flow?

I have both and this was exactly me. You are not letting the active flame on the pellets burn enough at the beginning. Whatever you use to light them, hold it UNDER the start until the top actually flames. Let that burn for a solid 5 minutes before you blow it out.

If that doesn't work, your pellets may have gotten some moisture in them. The sides of the pellets should be smooth and glossy. If they've gotten moisture, they'll be dull and rough.