Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

codo27 posted:

How fuckin long is it gonna take me to get 40 more tiers so I can get army guy? I'm still missing a couple cakes and most of the basketballs too.

You have up to the moment the servers go down for the end of season patch to finish all of the weekly challenges. The "search between..." ones are the only ones really worth looking up, and you actually want to do so earlier than later because there's one more battle star hidden for each week that you can only uncover once you have the weekly loading screen. The clue for each of these is in the loading screen itself, but it's usually easier than the "search between" ones.

I discovered yesterday that the basketball one works in playground mode. I'm not if any others will. Consider using playground to find the cakes and the treasure maps.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I’m new to this but I’ve played a lot of pubg and I was wondering how the kills are counted. I’ve been doing 50v50 to get used to the game and there have been times I’ve unloaded into a dude to knock him down and other people shot him too, but taking him out of crawling and into dead was all me but I didn’t get credit for anything.

Do I need to knock them down all on my own and then also finish them to get a kill?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

McGlockenshire posted:

I discovered yesterday that the basketball one works in playground mode. I'm not if any others will. Consider using playground to find the cakes and the treasure maps.

Thats a great tip, and I had no idea about the clues in the loading screens either.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Overbite posted:

I’m new to this but I’ve played a lot of pubg and I was wondering how the kills are counted. I’ve been doing 50v50 to get used to the game and there have been times I’ve unloaded into a dude to knock him down and other people shot him too, but taking him out of crawling and into dead was all me but I didn’t get credit for anything.

Do I need to knock them down all on my own and then also finish them to get a kill?

I am not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure whoever knocks the guy (aka puts him into bleedout) gets the kill.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Whoever knocks someone gets credit for the kill, but challenges are (supposed to be) completed by both whoever knocks and whoever kills, so you are (supposed to be) able to get two challenges done with one kill if you both knock and finish off the same person.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

santanotreal posted:

Whoever knocks someone gets credit for the kill, but challenges are (supposed to be) completed by both whoever knocks and whoever kills, so you are (supposed to be) able to get two challenges done with one kill if you both knock and finish off the same person.

I'm pretty sure that only carries over if your squad dropped him. If you're in 50v50 or a 3 way fire fight only the person who got the final shot in, or their 3 squadmates can get credit for quest stuff.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm pretty sure that only carries over if your squad dropped him. If you're in 50v50 or a 3 way fire fight only the person who got the final shot in, or their 3 squadmates can get credit for quest stuff.

Did not realize that about 50v50! Good to know

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah there is only one victory umbrella per season.

I swear I got like 2 or 3 umbrellas for my first win the other week. Is there a "first win" brella in addition to the season one?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

goferchan posted:

I swear I got like 2 or 3 umbrellas for my first win the other week. Is there a "first win" brella in addition to the season one?

If you've never won before you will also get the 'original' gray umbrella since that one was never tied to a season.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

What even is the win umbrella for this season? Is it the beach one?

I don't even notice each seasons umbrellas because the squad I play with usually get 2-3 wins a night so I generally just assume the umbrella is part of the season battle pass tier rewards.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm just so tired of winning all the time too.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

freeranger posted:

I don't even notice each seasons umbrellas because the squad I play with usually get 2-3 wins a night so I generally just assume the umbrella is part of the season battle pass tier rewards.

Hey, if your squad ever needs a potato to drag you down a rung or two, I’m your man.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

freeranger posted:

Yes, the beach one. Also, if it's your first win ever you get the original grey umbrella, and if you have a founders pack you get a camo umbrella.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Overbite posted:

Whomever downs the player gets credit for the elimination. Someone else in your squad finishing them might get them challenge credit but you'll be the one getting the +1 elim to your total.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Thanks for the info. This plays so different from PUBG its throwing me off. I was able to get a few chicken dinners in that but I'm having issues with this, mostly wrapping my head around the weird feeling guns and the building.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Overbite posted:

weird feeling guns

I love LMGs in most games but in this I thought it was just for demolition. But I actually won a gunfight with one last night in which the guy got the drop on me. Went on to covertly make it into the top 5, quietly building a barrier under other peoples steps and stuff and hiding out until the storm moved. Once again, done in by engaging someone I didn't have to. (and having 84 life and no shields or healing items)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've only been playing for a week, and when I looked at videos for tips on getting ammo boxes there were areas I've never seen, does that map change each season? Completely new map or just switching out certain areas?

Edit: and I gather there were crossbows and guided missiles, now there aren't, but there will be again, is that tied to seasons?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 31, 2018

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've only been playing for a week, and when I looked at videos for tips on getting ammo boxes there were areas I've never seen, does that map change each season? Completely new map or just switching out certain areas?

Edit: and I gather there were crossbows and guided missiles, now there aren't, but there will be again, is that tied to seasons?

They tend to add/remove parts of the map and weapons every few weeks or at least once a season.

Guided missile is returning soon but crossbow probably isn’t.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Guided missile just returned a few hours ago with a fresh content patch!

Also hella good flying around splode mode. Y'all are gonna hate it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When I read Showdown had standings by region I got excited, even though I'm still a bum at this game I might be kinda good in my region. Turns out my "region" is North America.

Thanks to whoever spilled that you can do the baskets and cakes in playground. Had great fun doing that last night, just llamas and supply drops everywhere, though I'd no one to shoot at. So I shot trees. I shot them good.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

McGlockenshire posted:

God I wish the llama one worked there. I still haven't found the drat thing in a regular match. Probably others are finding it first.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
This is hella bloggy but I'm sharing it anyway because I know there are people here that are also trash at BR and might need the inspiration.

I had what was probably my most fun night ever last night. This weekend I decided I'd finally start grinding down the "eliminate X opponents in Y" challenges by just throwing myself at whichever one was closest to the start of the bus route and dying over and over until I got a kill. It took five or six drops before finally getting one elimination in Haunted, but I decided I'd try just one more time. I don't even really understand how yet, I'll need to watch the replay, but I managed to get three kills in Haunted in that final game. I know it might sound like child's play to some, but it's a personal best for me, and I'm super excited about sometimes not completely sucking.

I did a few 50v50s next. In one, I dropped at the motel, found a launch pad, and then discovered that yes you can indeed enter rifts while parachuting down. I quickly found myself at the south end cliffs of Dusty, where an opposing group in an ATK took out a group of friendlies but failed to notice me diving in. I swooped down into a bush behind them and tossed a few grenades in their general direction while they were looting their fresh kills. I guess I'm getting the hang of thrown explosives, because somehow blindly chucking grenades managed to take out their entire group and their golf cart. It was refreshing being the one getting the drop on others for once. It was the single most bad-rear end thing I've ever done in this game.

But the thing that really, really made the night was another 50v50. The first storm shrink is almost done, and we're down by ten or so. Our team is split in half, with the other half being on the other side of the circle, which is also on the other side of one of the tall hills from which the opposing team is trying to snipe both sides. My half of the team tears down everything on the hill that we can from the ground, and then pushes it. I lead the push. I always lead the push. I don't know why, as it always ends up getting me killed. We got to the top only to find it completely abandoned. The other team had dropped down to consolidate their forces on the other side and recover, and they clearly weren't expecting a dozen of us to just climb up the hill and take pot shots at them. We somehow ground them down from up there, and it wasn't long before the teams were equalized again and we started pushing down the hill to an eventual victory. It was the first time that a) I lead a push twice, b) I didn't die in a horrifyingly embarrassing way, and c) I actually eliminated opponents in a way that helped the team win.

That match put me over the 100k XP threshold, so now I have Drift's wicked magenta scythe.

If you suck at this game, there is absolutely hope. I still suck, but now I suck a little less.

e: Oh no, last night's patch broke replays again.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 31, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

McGlockenshire posted:

This is hella bloggy but I'm sharing it anyway because I know there are people here that are also trash at BR and might need the inspiration.

I had what was probably my most fun night ever last night. This weekend I decided I'd finally start grinding down the "eliminate X opponents in Y" challenges by just throwing myself at whichever one was closest to the start of the bus route and dying over and over until I got a kill. It took five or six drops before finally getting one elimination in Haunted, but I decided I'd try just one more time. I don't even really understand how yet, I'll need to watch the replay, but I managed to get three kills in Haunted in that final game. I know it might sound like child's play to some, but it's a personal best for me, and I'm super excited about sometimes not completely sucking.

I did a few 50v50s next. In one, I dropped at the motel, found a launch pad, and then discovered that yes you can indeed enter rifts while parachuting down. I quickly found myself at the south end cliffs of Dusty, where an opposing group in an ATK took out a group of friendlies but failed to notice me diving in. I swooped down into a bush behind them and tossed a few grenades in their general direction while they were looting their fresh kills. I guess I'm getting the hang of thrown explosives, because somehow blindly chucking grenades managed to take out their entire group and their golf cart. It was refreshing being the one getting the drop on others for once. It was the single most bad-rear end thing I've ever done in this game.

But the thing that really, really made the night was another 50v50. The first storm shrink is almost done, and we're down by ten or so. Our team is split in half, with the other half being on the other side of the circle, which is also on the other side of one of the tall hills from which the opposing team is trying to snipe both sides. My half of the team tears down everything on the hill that we can from the ground, and then pushes it. I lead the push. I always lead the push. I don't know why, as it always ends up getting me killed. We got to the top only to find it completely abandoned. The other team had dropped down to consolidate their forces on the other side and recover, and they clearly weren't expecting a dozen of us to just climb up the hill and take pot shots at them. We somehow ground them down from up there, and it wasn't long before the teams were equalized again and we started pushing down the hill to an eventual victory. It was the first time that a) I lead a push twice, b) I didn't die in a horrifyingly embarrassing way, and c) I actually eliminated opponents in a way that helped the team win.

That match put me over the 100k XP threshold, so now I have Drift's wicked magenta scythe.

If you suck at this game, there is absolutely hope. I still suck, but now I suck a little less.

e: Oh no, last night's patch broke replays again.

:bubblewoop:

Those moments are the loving bestttttt. Grenading an opposing team in an ATK just sounds fuckin excellent.

Honestly now that I got Drift's cool mask with his outfit, I really don't care about any of the rest of it :shrug:

I can't bring myself to unequip my pizza cutter pickaxe. I equipped it immediately after I bought it and have used nothing else!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

santanotreal posted:

They tend to add/remove parts of the map and weapons every few weeks or at least once a season.

Guided missile is returning soon but crossbow probably isn’t.

Figured they were doing something to mix things up besides challenges.

Are Drift and Ragnarok the first avatars which can be upgraded? I've not found any previous ones.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I love those times in this game. I am also starting to feel like I am improving. So many fun and novel moments!

I also really want the Viking dude skin. I just saw someone running around in it, they must have whaled to have it so early. At what point in a season do you tend to start seeing level 100 skins?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Figured they were doing something to mix things up besides challenges.

Are Drift and Ragnarok the first avatars which can be upgraded? I've not found any previous ones.

Carbine and I think Omega from last season

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Johnny Truant posted:

Honestly now that I got Drift's cool mask with his outfit, I really don't care about any of the rest of it :shrug:

I just unlocked the 200K XP Drift outfit. It's very good at getting me targeted (and subsequently destroyed because I'm trash).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

interpunct posted:

I just unlocked the 200K XP Drift outfit. It's very good at getting me targeted (and subsequently destroyed because I'm trash).

Yeah, I shy away from incredibly shiny/colourful skins for this reason alone, for example the bright pink candy girl. Like, I guess if I wanted to up the difficulty for myself I could rock it?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Turpitude posted:

Carbine and I think Omega from last season

Yeah, but they were implemented in a dumb "reach levels by end of the season," system. At least the final tiers that were pretty ridiculous were just "You can change the glowing colors," though. I kinda wish they'd retroactively converted them to the new system -Except of course you'd see the folks who wasted time idling for levels/exp bitch about their achievements being ruined.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

The return of the jetpack in Explosives LTM is :discourse:. Also it just needs to be in the inventory instead of equipped to use.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

The return of the jetpack in Explosives LTM is :discourse:. Also it just needs to be in the inventory instead of equipped to use.

It was like that when it came out before too.
I missed Jetpack and guided missile gameplay.
Apparently they added the crossbow to the playground, I wish they'd do a mode with it too.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Jet pack in a mode where you only have explosives makes less than 0 sense

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, I shy away from incredibly shiny/colourful skins for this reason alone, for example the bright pink candy girl. Like, I guess if I wanted to up the difficulty for myself I could rock it?

You only live when you drop as Dark Voyager into Showdown LTM.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
they patched out being able to do challenges in playground it looks like

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I brought gfs laptop to work today seeing its a holiday for everyone else. I'm gone fuckin mad with the m&kb. Got the haunted challenge in 4 or 5 matches. Even killed two people in a 3 way gunfight! Then I just got the first pigeon at the bottom of the desert, and noticed rifts at the end of the waterfall. Had barely survived an encounter with another guy with a pump so I only had 15 life left. I jump off into the rift...except I miss it and die

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Uh this explosive jet pack mode is hilariously entertaining.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Uh this explosive jet pack mode is hilariously entertaining.
My sister and I played this 7 times last night. Won 3 times. Turns out this mode is by far her best at Fortnite because she mains Pharah in Overwatch. She racked up huge kills like she never had before, but it was also just dumb fun even when we died in the storm (which happened 3 times as well, normally never happens).

Also pretty dumb fun to use the rockets in the clay pigeons challenge rn.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fritzler posted:

Turns out this mode is by far her best at Fortnite because she mains Pharah in Overwatch.

So like...are people still playing that? I know they are not in direct competition (or are they?) but I always felt such buyers remorse for that game even at $40 and Fortnite just blows it away for me for fun and content...and its free

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

codo27 posted:

So like...are people still playing that? I know they are not in direct competition (or are they?) but I always felt such buyers remorse for that game even at $40 and Fortnite just blows it away for me for fun and content...and its free

Yeah they are tied with PUBG for being the second most popular shooter after Fortnite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

codo27 posted:

ABC broadcast the semi-finals to their Championship this past Sunday afternoon.