Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Parks and Rec? The first season isn't good but it's only 6 episodes.

In comparison to the ones after it's bad but I'd still say it's above average. There are several early ideas/styles i'm glad they abandoned but I wouldn't tell someone to skip it. It's like the first season of always sunny - yeah it's not great relative to the later ones but you appreciate the later ones more when you can see where it came from.

I will never advocate for skipping episodes. A show people do it a lot for is stargate sg-1. Watch it all and decide for yourself when you rewatch it, don't just skip or watch things out of order because the internet said so your first time. Yes, even watch the terrible space mongol episode in season 1. You'll hate it but hey, it's a part of the show and you must suffer as I suffered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Tiggum posted:

Seasons one and two are still pretty great.

Yeah season 1 has how they get Santa’s Little Helper and you can laugh at the terrible animation and voice acting and season 2 has a few legit good episodes (3 eyed fish, Baer hit by a car, homer’s Brother and a few others).

Re: cowslips: WoW: your friends probably started playing back when it was fun and good (like a decade ago), so the first 99 levels weren’t too much of a grind and were legit fun. Everyone I know says it sucks rear end now. Afaik they’re gonna bring back the original original WoW with none of the new crap so maybe that would work for you? poo poo was fun up to and including BC, then it went to poo poo. That’s just second hand knowledge tho, too lazy to look into it, but I did have 3 level 999999999 or whatever characters tho so I know what’s up with content up to and including BC (it was good).

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 11:42 on Aug 1, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There is a reason that WoW includes a level boost with each new expac so that people can jump straight to current content.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I've tried getting back into wow a couple times and it's just not fun unless you are unemployed or in college and have the time to spend on the end game stuff. It's like with any old game. The people left still playing it are hardcore weirdoes for the most part who aren't very tolerant of new players and expect that the older people to have been keeping up with every little change and know it all right away. So it's an unpleasant experience for new players and returning players. The only chance for fun is having a group of real life friends to play with, but when half of you are scattered across the world in different time zones and the other half are married with kids, it's not going to work.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hate people who admit that yeah, levels/steps/episodes 1-99 SUCK BALLS buuuut after that, totally worth it!

So the entire first two seasons are hard to get into and is badly written but season 3 makes up for it!

My friend gives me crap for not liking Legend of Korra because I gave up halfway into the first season, because if I waited, then "you see her get the poo poo kicked out of her!" Same dude gets irritated that after trying two separate times, I just cannot get into WoW, and being told that once I get to level 100 or whatever the highest level is, it totally becomes fun!

Does that ever work for anyone? I mean first impressions can be wrong easily, but are there really good shows or games that blow rear end in the start but after episode/level __ it is so worth it?

If I can't get into it after more than 2-3 episodes, I'm not going to bother. I don't have the ambition to be the World's Best TV Watcher.

My dad and older brother love to play golf. I hate it. They kept trying to get me to take lessons and practice saying that if I got better at it, I would like it more, but I don't want to invest that much time in something I don't like.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

If I can't get into it after more than 2-3 episodes, I'm not going to bother. I don't have the ambition to be the World's Best TV Watcher.

My dad and older brother love to play golf. I hate it. They kept trying to get me to take lessons and practice saying that if I got better at it, I would like it more, but I don't want to invest that much time in something I don't like.

Golf is one of those take it or leave it things. To me the appeal is dicking around in a nice woodsy area with friends, not necessarily getting a good score (although winning always feels good). Even if I played like a pro I would hate to play on crowded/popular courses because they are full of mostly impatient old dudes who will hit balls up your rear end and/or complain to the ranger about you when it's the 3+ groups ahead of you that are slowing things down. Give me a comparatively poorly maintained cheap course with nobody on it when I can drink and gently caress around with friends without getting yelled at any day. Also golf courses that don't allow alcohol shouldn't exist.

But yeah, taking lessons in something you don't enjoy is pointless even if they have good intentions in suggesting it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Wait what golf courses don't allow alcohol? That's like pissing money away!

That's the other wow thing. I buy the game and have to pay a monthly subscription fee? Wtf? I get buying a new expansion but every month I drop $15 too?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah season 1 has how they get Santa’s Little Helper and you can laugh at the terrible animation and voice acting and season 2 has a few legit good episodes (3 eyed fish, Baer hit by a car, homer’s Brother and a few others).

Season 2 is that season that is better than you remember it being. It's been a while but I do remember season 1 being a chore at times, but not necessarily bad either, it's just all around tonally different from the golden years.

I have a pet peeve. There's a guy in my office that spends any time he doesn't have to be at his desk doing laps around the hallways of the building. It probably wouldn't be so bad if he was quiet about it, but he stomps and 60% of the time he's also on his damned phone talking to himself. The icing on this particularly lovely cake is that when he's not on his phone he makes a point of saying something to everyone who crosses his path.

*STOMP*STOMP*STOMP* good morning sir *STOMP*STOMP*STOMP*

Dude, it's 7am and I don't even know you, you work in some department I never deal with, why do you think I care about your pleasantries?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's the other wow thing. I buy the game and have to pay a monthly subscription fee? Wtf? I get buying a new expansion but every month I drop $15 too?

welcome to MMOs

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

My university course didn't, and there was another small one we would go to a lot that for some reason only allowed it in the clubhouse. You just had to pack your bag with ziplocks of ice and beer to get around it but it gets annoying always having to look around for a ranger before taking a sip and making sure you pad the bottles enough for them not to hear them clinking around when youre moving the bag.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend gives me crap for not liking Legend of Korra because I gave up halfway into the first season, because if I waited, then "you see her get the poo poo kicked out of her!" Same dude gets irritated that after trying two separate times, I just cannot get into WoW, and being told that once I get to level 100 or whatever the highest level is, it totally becomes fun!

I am a big fan of Legend of Korra but I can admit that it isn’t for everyone. Plus the real slog on that show is season 2 so if you couldn’t make it through season 1 then it’s good you didn’t finish. Seasons 3 and 4 are really, really good though.

Your friend sounds like a real creep. I would recommend LoK due to the writing, character development, and compelling villains (and kick rear end bending fight scenes), not because the main character “totally gets the poo poo kicked out of her”.

Also, while Korra had older characters and more adult themes it was still ostensibly a children’s cartoon that aired on Nickelodeon, so lol at your friend giving you crap for not liking it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"you have a beautiful wife and daughter, how can you be depressed?"

Do I even have to get into this? Is there anyone here who doesn't already get it? How does this, and versions of this, keep getting said to me? Where's the massive gap in knowledge coming from?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

"you have a beautiful wife and daughter, how can you be depressed?"

Do I even have to get into this? Is there anyone here who doesn't already get it? How does this, and versions of this, keep getting said to me? Where's the massive gap in knowledge coming from?

That always comes from someone who is jealous of your situation and fantasizes about being in your place. They are only thinking of how they would be happy in your place, they know deep down what they are saying is hurtful to you.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

WoW is the most fun and accessible than it's ever been and those who say otherwise are wrong

Want to raid but have a full time job? Raid Finder

Want to play with friends on another server but don't want to re-roll a character? You can group with them

Want to jump to the highest level expansion? They give you a boost when you buy the expansion

Want to enjoy the story? Each expansion past vanilla actually has a lovely story throughout

Classes are actually fun to play now, no longer will you be forced a healer if you are a druid for example

I can play 30 minutes a night and progress a character through raid finder, whereas in vanilla I'd need to spend 30 minutes JUST TO FIND A GROUP.

Can't wait for vanilla servers so everyone can roll a rogue and realize how little there was actually to do

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Doing a raid with random people seems like an extremely hellish experience unless they have made them incredibly easy since lich king.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That always comes from someone who is jealous of your situation and fantasizes about being in your place. They are only thinking of how they would be happy in your place, they know deep down what they are saying is hurtful to you.

Makes sense. "I'd be happy if I had what you had!"

Yes, I wish that were the case for me, too! In fact, it makes me feel even worse when I love my wife and daughter and still feel like laying down and dying! Having these things just gives me another reason to not throw myself off a highway overpass, you dick!

Anyhow

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eh, sometimes it's people who don't understand depression trying to help. Be happy! You have a lot of good things in your loved to be happy about.

Well brains are weird and sometimes the drat thing just goes "gently caress you not enough happy chemicals from now on no matter what."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, sometimes it's people who don't understand depression trying to help. Be happy! You have a lot of good things in your loved to be happy about.

Well brains are weird and sometimes the drat thing just goes "gently caress you not enough happy chemicals from now on no matter what."

In my experience it's always said with an undertone of resentment, like "my life sucks, i would kill for your life, what do you have to be sad about". I get it all the time, like "you get to travel the world, you get to look at space stuff all day, how could you possibly be sad?" It does come from a place of not understanding but I don't think it's ever coming from a place of "trying to help". Telling someone they shouldn't be depressed is never helpful.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

In my experience it's always said with an undertone of resentment, like "my life sucks, i would kill for your life, what do you have to be sad about". I get it all the time, like "you get to travel the world, you get to look at space stuff all day, how could you possibly be sad?" It does come from a place of not understanding but I don't think it's ever coming from a place of "trying to help". Telling someone they shouldn't be depressed is never helpful.

I've encountered both but yeah that's probably more common.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

- Street musicians. They completely drown out the crap I like listening to with some crap I don't. Bonus points if they just happen to be increasing their volume as I'm walking away.

- Seconding that post from a while ago about autoplay videos. It's worse if the video isn't even about the same thing as the article. If I'm looking for info on Archer season 9 I do NOT want to watch a video about the Big Bang Theory.

- Walking all the way to a supermarket to find that that particular store does not stock the item I want. It's happened several times recently.[/list]

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When people don't give your enough information about how to do something when you tell them you're new to all this. And then get mad at you when you didn't do it the way they wanted. Really starts up my anxiety.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
There's been a strong uptick in people blasting music on public transportation without headphones on. I can't imagine the lack of awareness that other people exist that it takes to do that. A lot of times it's so loud, it drowns out what I'm listening to on my headphones. I'm tempted to grab a bunch of headphones from the dollar store and keep them in my purse to just hand out to people, but I'm pretty sure I'd get punched and/or yelled at for that.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

When people don't give your enough information about how to do something when you tell them you're new to all this. And then get mad at you when you didn't do it the way they wanted. Really starts up my anxiety.

To teach things properly requires a great deal of self-awareness and empathy, so most people are terrible at it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s just insane to me that people think everyone’s on the same level as them. I know you’re right but it just comes off as completely unhinged.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
One of my cubicle neighbors is intermittently singing to themselves. Another is playing their music so loud that I can identify the song from what leaks out of their headphones, even when I have my own headphones in listening to my own music.

Why? Why do people do this? Who takes a minute from their job in a crowded office and thinks "Hm, yes, I'm sure everyone would like to hear me half-assedly warble whatever passes through my head. This is a good idea, you're welcome everyone." or "I'd rather not actually put my headphones in, better play it loud enough that I can listen when they're just sitting on my desk."

How do these people exist as adults?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Parasol Prophet posted:

One of my cubicle neighbors is intermittently singing to themselves. Another is playing their music so loud that I can identify the song from what leaks out of their headphones, even when I have my own headphones in listening to my own music.

Why? Why do people do this? Who takes a minute from their job in a crowded office and thinks "Hm, yes, I'm sure everyone would like to hear me half-assedly warble whatever passes through my head. This is a good idea, you're welcome everyone." or "I'd rather not actually put my headphones in, better play it loud enough that I can listen when they're just sitting on my desk."

How do these people exist as adults?

“Hey who sings that song?”

:v: “Oh it’s Katy Perry I love her!”

“Let’s keep it that way, yeah?”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ghost emoji posted:

There's been a strong uptick in people blasting music on public transportation without headphones on. I can't imagine the lack of awareness that other people exist that it takes to do that. A lot of times it's so loud, it drowns out what I'm listening to on my headphones. I'm tempted to grab a bunch of headphones from the dollar store and keep them in my purse to just hand out to people, but I'm pretty sure I'd get punched and/or yelled at for that.

I honestly think they have a mental illness

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ll add to that and say people that blast music while filling up their car. I feel like it’s always Gucci Mane and I can’t stand his music.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

This about WoW still. Friend got irritated that I wanted to quit, told me he'd take me somewhere to do more quests and level up faster, then zipped me around a continent on a motorcycle, dropped me off in a new city, and got mad when I still had no idea what to do or go.

Like, maybe WoW is awesome if you're with a group of friends who are all the same level, but when everyone else in the discord chat is at max, gently caress, I got yelled at by several people for not understanding where the stablemaster was, why I couldn't buy a mount, or where the gently caress I had to go to GET a mount that I could buy, because everything local wasn't allowed.

Then being told there must be SOMETHING wrong with me because everyone from six to sixty loving understands and likes WoW once they play it, so maybe if I level up to 60 I'll like it more.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I played WoW when 60 was the level cap before any expansions existed. The game is poo poo and it's only fun when you're playing with friends. The dungeon instances with small groups were the only genuine fun I had. There's no need to level up faster, you'll be missing the game. Blizzard put a lot of work into the 1-60 stuff and you should experience it on your own or find another group. Also getting yelled at over a video game is completely normal. It happens in literally any online game so get used to it. Just tell them to gently caress off and move on.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Aug 2, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
People think being depressed is being sad. Everything stems from that basic misunderstanding.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

starkebn posted:

People think being depressed is being sad. Everything stems from that basic misunderstanding.

That and you can be depressed but not have depression. Depressive disorders can be crippling for a reason.

Basically everybody experiences the mood depression and too many think "this means I understand the disorder depression." No. It's a totally different beast.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Fried Watermelon posted:

WoW is the most fun and accessible than it's ever been and those who say otherwise are wrong

Want to raid but have a full time job? Raid Finder

Want to play with friends on another server but don't want to re-roll a character? You can group with them

Want to jump to the highest level expansion? They give you a boost when you buy the expansion

Want to enjoy the story? Each expansion past vanilla actually has a lovely story throughout

Classes are actually fun to play now, no longer will you be forced a healer if you are a druid for example

I can play 30 minutes a night and progress a character through raid finder, whereas in vanilla I'd need to spend 30 minutes JUST TO FIND A GROUP.

Can't wait for vanilla servers so everyone can roll a rogue and realize how little there was actually to do

Raid finder is poo poo. In fairness, it is slightly less crap now, but for the longest time, you would have people afk because they just wanted to run through it for some reward and rarely would a team ever wipe because of it.
Normal is also poo poo. Problem with WoW right now is that most likely you won't have any real progression with a guild unless you are running mythics. So raiding is only fun if you are a complete scrub who wants to put in minimal effort or the guy who knows all the bosses, rotations, stats etc. in and out and grinds AP, reputation, 3 different random currencies, gold etc. etc.

There is very little incentive right now if you want the middle ground between those. Because if you dont meet the required Ilevel (which is usually higher then any gear you could possibly earn without doing that raid), you dont get in. Brings me back to loving gearscore in WoTLK.

There is no real progression, even if you got a guild or running with randos, because 40 percent of people are "1 wipe and I am out". They can't tolerate the idea of overcoming a challenge and working together to improve. Instead all insta leave or they kick out people who do lower dps immediatly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP_MESaT2ao

The only saving grace is Mythic+ dungeons. That is loving awesome and arguably better than raiding for gear. But the side effect to this is that raiding is pretty much reduced to an AP grind, thus the "1 wipe and I quit" mentality. However, this might all have changed, but I quit Legion 4 months ago for good reason.

Midig has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Aug 2, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doing a raid with random people seems like an extremely hellish experience unless they have made them incredibly easy since lich king.

Yeah, Raid Finder is that easy. It's also boring because of how easy it is.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Raid Finder is for those who realize that your focus/skill/attention shouldn't be on a video game, but on whatever is on your second monitor. You want anything from a higher level of difficulty (:lol:), you come back to it in an expansion or two and solo it.

Anyways..

This is incredibly dumb, but as the franchise has become respectfully mainstream, I've picked up a few Fallout themed shirts. A minor pet peeve for my Vault shirts is that the numbers aren't on the back. Whatever.

But the true pet peeve, the incredibly dumb pet peeve, is that unless I stop myself, I will always put the damned things on backwards. I notice it's a Vault shirt, and my brain immediately goes "yup, numbers on the back" until I either stop myself, or realize that I've got the shirt on backwards.

(taken together, these two lines of thought boil down to "why is Raid Finder easier than my drat shirt :argh:")

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Aug 2, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

starkebn posted:

Depression isn't quite the right word for it. It's a hell of a lot more than that. I don't know what the right word is, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Maybe Numbness?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

BioEnchanted posted:

Maybe Numbness?

something like that, or emptyness

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I literally got "well everyone feels down sometimes" last week when I was telling someone about how previous bouts of depression ended up with me losing my job because I was drunk all the time and stopped leaving the house and gaining 50% of my bodyweight.

It was funny because I don't need this person to understand/ he doesn't matter but jesus, if he ever actually needs to support a person they're hosed.

Related peeve: I cannot seem to Google my way out of this current episode of binge eating and numbness. Loving myself and nurturing my body doesn't seem to work, I tried self motivating with stickers and calendar weekly plans like I'm a child, straight talking no bullshit discipline/shaming doesn't seem to be working either. In this day and age I should be able to Google my way out of anything!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Hey yo this nicotine gum I'm chewing is to hold off withdrawal from smoking, you brooding there instead of just going outside and having a cigarette is counteracting its intended purpose.
Just go out, I'll see you in like ten minutes. Me trying to quit (or at least cut back) doesn't mean you have to as well. Go on!