Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Big Bidness posted:

Make sure you grab all of those, even if you discard them after. Some of them will also give you Drop Pod Data.

Are Drop Pod Data items supposed to stay in your inventory after you use them? I used to have like 6 but sold all but one because they never decreased after I input one into a signal booster. Just been exploring the galaxy and using my one drop pod data over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

quote:

**Edit: Important note! Always upload your discoveries. This a consistent way to earn Nanites. In the discoveries page you can upload data individually or you can upload in batches via the symbols at the bottom of the page. Animals, Plants, and waypoints can be batch uploaded per planet by holding the upload button while hovering over their symbol after selecting their page.

Bloody hell, that's what I needed.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Ugh, it seems like they patched out the abundance of Hot Ice and Thermic Condensate, so the Cryo Pump road to riches isn't nearly as feasible. Presumably this goes for Superconductors on up as well, but I haven't been looking for Enriched Carbon or Semiconductors lately at terminals.

Thankfully I spent a few hours on Sunday building up $300M because the freighter attack event popped last night, and I ended up saving a massive A-class star destroyer last night that ran about $110M.

I was also jumping with my dedicated Explorer ship, with nothing but a pulse cannon and wow, space combat really is a joke now.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

(not mine)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

umbrage posted:

Ugh, it seems like they patched out the abundance of Hot Ice and Thermic Condensate, so the Cryo Pump road to riches isn't nearly as feasible. Presumably this goes for Superconductors on up as well, but I haven't been looking for Enriched Carbon or Semiconductors lately at terminals.

Thankfully I spent a few hours on Sunday building up $300M because the freighter attack event popped last night, and I ended up saving a massive A-class star destroyer last night that ran about $110M.

I was also jumping with my dedicated Explorer ship, with nothing but a pulse cannon and wow, space combat really is a joke now.

Oh good, they're following the Elite Dangerous track of 'our players found they can actually make money this way, PATCH IT'

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Lastdancer posted:

Are Drop Pod Data items supposed to stay in your inventory after you use them? I used to have like 6 but sold all but one because they never decreased after I input one into a signal booster. Just been exploring the galaxy and using my one drop pod data over and over

They are. When I first started using them they didn't, but now it does. I think it started happening once I had used Navigation Data.

Also no matter what I've had in my ship, a pirate scan always turned up the Drop Pod Location as my valuable cargo, so I guess NPCs are just as hard up for inventory slots as we are.

PROTIP: Whenever you use a drop pod terminal, drop a signal booster and immediately just find "nearby structures", the option that doesn't take data. It will find a second drop pod every single time, probably as a mea culpa for you getting directed to one that was already used. After you use the second one, though, they'll start ping-ponging between each other, so you'll have to fly away for a while before the trick works again.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

No Man's Dwarf Fortress lookin' good.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

umbrage posted:

No Man's Dwarf Fortress lookin' good.

The Sentinels’ prime directive is to ensure no one ever unifies 2 cats

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh good, they're following the Elite Dangerous track of 'our players found they can actually make money this way, PATCH IT'

Wow, this is the first time I found a way to make money and made money before it got patched out.

In other news, when I got back to playing NMS, I found out some random person had send me the message "I am not a punching bag" back in May. Kind of random, but OK weird person, you do you

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How the gently caress do I complete photo missions? I'm following the criteria the mission wants but taking a photo does nothing but simply provide me with a screenshot. It doesn't give me credit for taking a picture

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Macaluso posted:

How the gently caress do I complete photo missions? I'm following the criteria the mission wants but taking a photo does nothing but simply provide me with a screenshot. It doesn't give me credit for taking a picture

Related to this, hint for PS4 players; if you have the "quick screenshot" function on (tap Share button, take screenshot/double tap to record video,) for these missions activate photo mode, hold the Share button until the side menu pops up, and press Triangle. That'll do it. For the "normal" mode I think you only need to press the Share button once in photo mode. NMS is weird about this for some reason.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
If you are making and selling a bunch of the same high priced items don't sell them to the terminals as you will crash the market of them in that area and the price will go down. If you sit at a Trade Depot (probably the space station also) and sell to NPC ships instead then it doesn't seem to affect the price at all.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

This is a pro click, especially if you're new to the game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is there a way to get to these kinds of things or is it just flavor? You can't get behind the desk to access it

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I went on a SPACE ADVENTURE looking for the first place to set up my space base and found a paradise planet that is probably 98% water, perfect weather and atmosphere.

The scanner said it was bountiful, rich in resources, flora and fauna. It probably took me 10 minutes to find a place to land. Where the hell is everything?

So I get out and dive underwater. Oh. Wow. That's where everything is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad that it's now possible to have real oceans like that, the old game would barely go above lakes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I found a New Mexico planet. There's cacti, mesas, juniper trees. It even has the flying whales and constant firestorms, most people forget those.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tom Gorman posted:

I went on a SPACE ADVENTURE looking for the first place to set up my space base and found a paradise planet that is probably 98% water, perfect weather and atmosphere.

The scanner said it was bountiful, rich in resources, flora and fauna. It probably took me 10 minutes to find a place to land. Where the hell is everything?

So I get out and dive underwater. Oh. Wow. That's where everything is.

Remember that planet and go back once you have the capabilities to build an awesome underwater base :getin:

It doesn't even matter if the planet has a bunch of stuff you want to go back for, just building it as like a vacation spot would own.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Macaluso posted:

Is there a way to get to these kinds of things or is it just flavor? You can't get behind the desk to access it

The one you can buy from the vendor is always insanely hard to find the one spot you can select.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

umbrage posted:

And here I was happy to have finaly gotten the cryo pump and superconductor reciepes in 2 sucessive manufacturing site after like 30h of playtime...

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What was the hyperdrive i need to get to be able to warp anywhere? I remember the thread said you only need the top one but I can't find that post and the internet seems to have no idea about this.

Also what is the preferred weapon setup? Seems like a lot of people just go with upgraded mining laser + grenades.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It the Indium Drive, or the blue one.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I found a nice spot on a verdant planet that’s mostly ocean. Built my base right across a small bay from a trading outpost, planning to eventually build a bridge across or something. It does have the usual superheated rainstorms but they never seem to last more than a minute or two and they’re pretty rare so they don’t really affect me at all.

Wish I had a landing pad though, I guess I could park at the outpost and swim across every time but that gets annoying and my ship looks so cool just parked in the grass by my little base

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

PantsBandit posted:

What exactly does it mean when the unit value for a sale is in red like that?
Funny story, nobody gave you the correct answer.

When the percentage number is red, that means it's a bad market value and you should go to a different market. However, when the unit number is read, it means that you're flooding the market with that particular item, thus tanking its sale price in the process. If you change the total amount you're selling, you'll see that you eventually turn the number from red to white. Once it's white, you're selling at the percentage listed and once you sell that amount, the market percentage will change and you'll drastically reduce the value of the item.

In other words, if you see the red unit number, change the amount you're selling and hit a different system (or maybe just find NPC ships to sell to?) for maximum profits.

That's the funny thing about this NEXT patch. A lot of people are ignoring that one of the original promises of the game is being fulfilled. The market is smart, the market can be flooded, and the market has a memory. The only trouble is that it doesn't matter because the market isn't aware of anything outside of its own system and teleporters make system hopping instant and free. Such a weird design decision...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We have now released update 1.53 to PC, which includes the fixes detailed below. We’ll be rolling out these fixes to other platforms as soon as possible.

Bug fixes:

Fix to restore savegames for players affected by a specific issue with freighter expeditions
Fix for an occasional white screen crash during loading
Fix for frigates not reporting their damaged state correctly
Fix for an issue that could block players in the “fuel the warp drive” stage of the tutorial
Fix for repairing broken ship slots in Creative Mode
Improvements to exocraft laser damage
Improvements for animations while turning, jetpacking, and standing on objects
Memory optimisations to improve stability
Preventative fix for potential stability issue with mission handling

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Heck yeah time to get my freighter missions on again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It's kind of funny how dumb sentinels are when it comes to buildings

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sentinels space combat exocraft and fauna all seem ripe for major updates

I mean lots of areas do after they fix the worst bugs, but those stand out

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Tbh, Sentinels being able to chase you into and fight inside of buildings would be awful and possibly would make me quit the game. They would have to overall combat and make it so that sentinels can be defeated without calling back up for that to be remotely acceptable.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Is there such a thing as a regular-rear end planet where the air isn't trying to kill you? I've been keeping an eye out for a nice place to set up a comfortable base but I've gone through a couple dozen planets and every last one of them is toxic or radioactive or airless or features "boiling superstorms". One charming moon had burning daytime temperatures, freezing nights, and periodic firestorms.

Is it the kind of thing where planets get more hostile as you get closer to the galactic core, so I should go back out towards the rim to find someplace hospitable?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

To folks using the PC's save editor, I've got a burning question.
Is it possible to remove bases from the teleporter list? I've built/destroyed so many that the thing is full of junk I'd like to clean up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

victrix posted:

Improvements to exocraft laser damage

It's not a laser, it's a very narrow-beam flashlight.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
AFAIK the differently colored star systems (red/green/blue) are where you need to go to find most of the abundant life paradise and/or zany planets. They require special warp drives for your ship to access.

Bunch of info here: https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Star_system

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Triarii posted:

Is there such a thing as a regular-rear end planet where the air isn't trying to kill you? I've been keeping an eye out for a nice place to set up a comfortable base but I've gone through a couple dozen planets and every last one of them is toxic or radioactive or airless or features "boiling superstorms". One charming moon had burning daytime temperatures, freezing nights, and periodic firestorms.

Is it the kind of thing where planets get more hostile as you get closer to the galactic core, so I should go back out towards the rim to find someplace hospitable?

There are nice places! I found a moon that only tries to kill me at night!
My free freighter's a bit crap. And the onboard frigate's note says 'All safety systems disabled'. I'm sure that's fine!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Gaspy Conana posted:

AFAIK the differently colored star systems (red/green/blue) ... They require special warp drives for your ship to access.

Actually they don't! Your freighter can warp anywhere! I'm tempted to even delete the regular warp drive from my ship.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I can confirm that paradise planets exist, I set up base on what looks like Space Hawaii. Avg temps in the 70s, lots of sandy beaches, minimally aggressive sentinels, and cool looking palm trees and critters that act like docile alien pigs.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

AFAIK the differently colored star systems (red/green/blue) are where you need to go to find most of the abundant life paradise and/or zany planets. They require special warp drives for your ship to access.

Bunch of info here: https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Star_system

My experience (which the wiki page seems to corroborate) is that colored star systems are more likely to have weird planets instead of nice, normal ones.

Oh that reminds me - the scorching/freezing/firestorming moon I looked at also had cute little deer creatures running around. I got close to one and it charged me and attacked me, literally the only time I've been attacked by something other than the whispering egg bugs. I felt so betrayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

An excellent sense of the Social Market Economy.