Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

Copying and pasting the solution verbatim can expose us to licensing / copyright issues. Using Stack Overflow answers verbatim at the very least requires attribution, in the worst case can leave us having to open-source stuff we don't want to open-source.

I've been at a company which, upon acquisition, had its codebases run through a scanner which picked up on and highlighted all of the unattributed usages of code in this manner. If I can google this code and find a stack overflow answer, so can that software, which leads to fun things involving legal teams at some point in the future.

It was an absolute ballache to go back and replace all of those copy-paste jobs.

The developer needed to either provide attribution or look at the solution, understand how it works and then write a sufficiently-different solution, neither of which he had elected to do. I much prefer the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That makes sense.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I swore at one point that Stack Overflow was going to change things to the MIT license but that decision was reversed at some point? Maybe? Follow through to read why wikis are a terrible idea because I can't figure out what the hell happened.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
What are the practical implications of these licensing issues? Is there really any chance that the author of the Stack Overflow code will find out that you're using his work in your company's private codebase?

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

The same implications for using any third party code in violation of its license terms. i.e. probably not much until it really bites you in the rear end or legal / compliance notices.

That said, you shouldn't be knowingly doing so anyway despite that if you want to pursue a career in software development.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Back at a previous job, I had a coworker incorporate a bunch of GPL code into a binary that we would have then distributed. I'm pretty sure my boss wanted to kill the project, because I got the task of reviewing the code for potential problems. I brought up the GPL code and said we would absolutely have to redistribute the source. The coworker who had been developing the project followed me back to my desk and angrily called me a hypocrite because of all the open-source tools we used every day for development. I tried to explain that we weren't distributing binaries based on that code and that made it a different issue, to no real effect. Eventually, I had to ask them to just please leave my desk area.

We could have easily distributed that binary and had somebody catch us on it, because our version was only trivially different than the one on SourceForge or wherever. Thankfully, the dumb project only worked in IE using ActiveX and my boss used that fact and my testimony to kill the thing.

I ran into that coworker around town last year and didn't think fast enough to give them a fake phone number when they asked!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Being the coding horrors thread I just assumed you thought there was something wrong with the code and I didnt even think of legal issues.

Of course, its plausible to say the licensing thing is a coding horror, it's just not where my mind went in the context.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

qsvui posted:

What are the practical implications of these licensing issues? Is there really any chance that the author of the Stack Overflow code will find out that you're using his work in your company's private codebase?

Even if that author will never care, if the company ever wants to enforce its intellectual property on other companies, they'll have to show that they're in compliance themselves.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qsvui posted:

Your company's private codebase becomes involved in a service you sell to Some Big Company, Some Big Company makes it a condition of purchase that all the code is properly vetted to ensure they don't end up with legal complications, now the code being used without clear origin in your codebase but what appears to be identical code online risks losing the business.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pollyanna posted:

Ah, another that believes in successful failure! My brethren!

We have to do this with one of the vendors we interface with since they apparently are unable to change their code so it's upon us to return success when their system sends invalid data so that it doesn't trigger even worse behavior. So on our side it's labeled something along the lines of FAILED_SUCCESS.

duz fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 31, 2018

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Thermopyle posted:

Being the coding horrors thread I just assumed you thought there was something wrong with the code and I didnt even think of legal issues.

Of course, its plausible to say the licensing thing is a coding horror, it's just not where my mind went in the context.

Well depending on the exact example, it's generally a red flag for a developer to be copying code from StackOverflow with absolutely no modifications. Usually it will make sense to refactor it slightly to fit your project, rename some variables so they make more sense in your specific implementation, etc. That's not to say it's wrong per se, just that it would raise an eyebrow with me during code review.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 31, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Whenever I copy code from StackOverflow, I at least read and type it out again, so it feels less like plagiarism (to myself.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xtal posted:

Whenever I copy code from StackOverflow, I at least read and type it out again, so it feels less like plagiarism (to myself.)

:same:

Never hurts to get some typing practice in there.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

xtal posted:

I do this too. I find writing it out forces me to understand it better, and makes it more obvious where it can be adjusted to fit the situation more.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
How much code does it need to be copied to become a legal issue? Just today I copied 3 lines, since gently caress if I was able to figure out how to use boost::iostreams correctly. 3 lines was all I needed, pretty much without modifications (a var name) and I was on my merry way.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bingo. Licenses on Stack Overflow code are IIRC down to whoever made the comment, and since most people aren't putting a "the above is all subject to GPLv2" or whatever in their comments, that means they retain full copyright rights (IANAL, TINLA).

StackOverflow is super-useful as e.g. an end-run around figuring out someone's stupid API yourself, but don't copy-paste from there.

[citation needed]

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Volguus posted:

How much code does it need to be copied to become a legal issue? Just today I copied 3 lines, since gently caress if I was able to figure out how to use boost::iostreams correctly. 3 lines was all I needed, pretty much without modifications (a var name) and I was on my merry way.
these licenses aren't written with a clause that says "well maybe if you copy just a few lines then that's fine" so just assume that it's always an issue and don't copy code unless you're sure that its license won't cause problems for you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

brap posted:

[citation needed]

What's in doubt here?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Volguus posted:

There’s just one way to do that declaration correctly, right? That’s a big difference legally.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

There’s just one way to do that declaration correctly, right? That’s a big difference legally.

Exactly. Like that linux-sco trial, I don't think that using a piece of code that can only be written in one way (in this case how to correctly zip an object via boost serialization and iostreams) can land one in trouble. Then again I'm not a lawyer.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Volguus posted:

IANAL, but far as I am aware the answer is basically "it depends".

Technically, copyright isn't limited to direct copy-paste. If you solve the same problem in a way that is substantially similar to the code you read then what you did is automatically a derivative work unless you can prove that there is essentially only one way to solve the problem (in which case that one solution is in the public domain unless patented). See the AFC test. In the case of using boost::iostream, it's probably a safe bet that there's not a ton of freedom of expression about how to directly use it and any given 3 lines concerning it are in the public domain.

Practically, no one will ever know if you copied 3 lines and there's no way to tell.

That said, you should be very, very careful with more complex things. There are definitely people who take the GPL very seriously and routinely scan publicly available binaries for violations, for instance. If some paper presents some cool new tech you want to implement for your company, and they have a sample demo application, and that sample application is GPL:d, then reading through that sample before you do your own implementation is a legal liability that makes it harder for your lawyers to prove that you did not produce a derivative work.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
You're all making a huge assumption about the legal side of software though. You're assuming that stuff like copyright infringement, etc. operate on matters of fact in the US, and that by not copy-pasting code, etc, you're somehow not going to be OK if you get sued. In truth, the legal system in the US wrt software patents is Dragon Ball Z with words. I've spent like thousands of hours dealing with patent search and legal coming up with such brilliant finds as "hey, someone has a patent on a context menu having a right arrow indicating where your sub-menu is, change your design", or spending days in court trying to define what a slider menu is. Keep in mind that one of the big reasons Microsoft lost United States v. Microsoft is that there was an entire defense and jury filled with people who didn't understand what ActiveX and COM were and didn't care - I'm not trying to defend Microsoft here but if you read through that case after learning how all that stuff works, you will be angry.

Anyway the stuff about the copy-paste from stack overflow vs. rewriting the code is basically just superstition imo, if they want to sue you, law finds a way - although to be honest, I would rewrite and attribute just to avoid any possible exposure to the law again, because gently caress, superstition is better than hopelessness.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

I'm in the UK so I'm sure stuff is different, however, the legal implications, particularly for proving intellectual property on an acquisition, is definitely a real thing that I've gone through. It turns out that people don't like the idea of buying a product if enough of it isn't actually provable to be yours to sell. We were under that threshold, but only because my superiors were actively cautioning against the practice.

Setting the letter of the law aside for a moment, using someone else's work without attribution or otherwise in contravention of how the original author wishes it to be used is 100% unethical, and I want our team to be ethical in what they do. As such, I advise them that they should understand the code they read and try to write their own implementations where possible.

I'm obviously not talking about one-liners that literally is 'what framework call do I use to do (x) thing', but more about whole functions that are just dumped in verbatim.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Also operating under the presumption that the SO answer wasn't copied and pasted, from like mozilla.org or msdn's examples, someone's public repo, or even some source they have access too, but didn't write. I've seen x++ answers to questions where the solution was just copied from some part of AX. The whole thing is a dumb mess.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

As I sit here thinking about it I think I very rarely copy stuff from SO.

I use it kind of like I use Wikipedia...as a springboard into understanding something.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Thermopyle posted:

As I sit here thinking about it I think I very rarely copy stuff from SO.

I use it kind of like I use Wikipedia...as a springboard into understanding something.

Yeah, more of an issue than licensing, I think (which I was semi-joking about), is if the developer is copy-pasting code without even rewriting it, it's a sign that developer either didn't really understand the problem or, worse, didn't understand the solution.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Naughty by Nature - O.P.P. except it's O.P.C. (Other People's Code)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I've spent like thousands of hours dealing with patent search and legal coming up with such brilliant finds as "hey, someone has a patent on a context menu having a right arrow indicating where your sub-menu is, change your design", or spending days in court trying to define what a slider menu is.

good job with your treble damages

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The closest I got to a patent dustup was planning for consumer electronic device. There were two law firms involved, one who'd actually gone and read the patents in the space, another they'd summarized their findings to and could talk to us about it. The idea is you can plan out a product while avoiding the icebergs without tainting your eyes by actually looking at them.

There's a gargantuan in that space, household name kind of thing, and they had IP covering a lot of aspects of the thing. Whenever you'd get to a really fine point of a question the two firms would start bouncing it back and forth and it would get into the philosophical/abstract quickly. "What is a switch even?" The answer that finally ended one particular rathole was "I dunno. Do you really wanna be in court 2 years from now arguing about a switch?"

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Suspicious Dish posted:

good job with your treble damages

maybe I'm just bitter because we just finished losing a software patent case that was complete bullshit and we did all the loving rituals and voodoo, it didn't matter, and i got personally reamed out about it today. Like no one could find prior art for a loving slider bar in an application.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

AstuteCat posted:

Oh hey, a pull request from a team member fixing a bug, awesome.

Hmmm, this code doesn't look like the code usually submitted by this developer...

*googles the code*
*first hit is a stack overflow answer with pretty much the same code verbatim*

a-ha.

:commissar:
No poo poo, this shuttered a project I was working on, except it was a licensed git repo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've got a file with like 8 different tests in it.

They all fail.

When I remove 3 of them the rest of them pass.

I can't figure out what state is persisting between test runs to cause these tests to cause the others to fail.

Spend hours on it.

Give up, rewrite the three tests from scratch without referring to the original tests.

Everything passes now!

Now I've got a nagging feeling that I've missed something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

You're all making a huge assumption about the legal side of software though. You're assuming that stuff like copyright infringement, etc. operate on matters of fact in the US, and that by not copy-pasting code, etc, you're somehow not going to be OK if you get sued. In truth, the legal system in the US wrt software patents is Dragon Ball Z with words. I've spent like thousands of hours dealing with patent search and legal coming up with such brilliant finds as "hey, someone has a patent on a context menu having a right arrow indicating where your sub-menu is, change your design", or spending days in court trying to define what a slider menu is. Keep in mind that one of the big reasons Microsoft lost United States v. Microsoft is that there was an entire defense and jury filled with people who didn't understand what ActiveX and COM were and didn't care - I'm not trying to defend Microsoft here but if you read through that case after learning how all that stuff works, you will be angry.

Anyway the stuff about the copy-paste from stack overflow vs. rewriting the code is basically just superstition imo, if they want to sue you, law finds a way - although to be honest, I would rewrite and attribute just to avoid any possible exposure to the law again, because gently caress, superstition is better than hopelessness.

Anyone can sue you for anyone reason, though. The point of not copy-pasting code is not to prevent yourself from getting sued; it's to prevent being told by a lawyer that you need to go back and change your code.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Thermopyle posted:

writing_tests.txt

At least it isn't my company where half of the checked in tests just auto pass with a todo to write later to appease branch policies.

Also, my company has an effort to increase unit and integration test counts but never wants to schedule a meeting to teach the developers how to actually write tests.

Coincidence?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a file with like 8 different tests in it.

They all fail.

When I remove 3 of them the rest of them pass.

I can't figure out what state is persisting between test runs to cause these tests to cause the others to fail.

Spend hours on it.

Give up, rewrite the three tests from scratch without referring to the original tests.

Everything passes now!

Me: why is this test failing now? None of the test code or source code changed!

Me 6 months prior: let's test this function with today's date and a date in the future like say 6 months from now

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Rubellavator posted:

Me: why is this test failing now? None of the test code or source code changed!

Me 6 months prior: let's test this function with today's date and a date in the future like say 6 months from now

This but literally 10 years

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
It shouldn't matter which dummy dates you put in your tests, because you should use a dummy for the current date as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One of our tests needed a date in the past, so when we wrote it we just used yesterday. A year later it's failing because the validation is going "uh, are you sure you meant a date that long ago? I think you made a typo."

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

It shouldn't matter which dummy dates you put in your tests, because you should use a dummy for the current date as well.

Depending on the level of realism required (and on how diligent you are about plumbing in dependency injections), integration tests can't always easily mock the current time. However, they should absolutely be capable of calculating an appropriate time to use at runtime.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

PHP code:

public function testSomeFunction() {
    // TODO
    $this->markTestIncomplete();
}

ci server posted:

all good here yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

itskage posted:

PHP code:
public function testSomeFunction() {
    // TODO
    $this->markTestIncomplete();
}

Ugh, this sucks balls when it happens. "Yeah it turns out we accidentally disabled an entire test suite and the CI server is either misconfigured or just flat out too stupid to distinguish between passing and skipped tests."