Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
So how is this game currently?

I was intrigued by the premise, but a bunch of the recent Steam reviews make it out to be Totally Ruined by a recent overhaul. Are they just being overly dramatic?

Also I'm not sure I can handle the spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Avasculous posted:

Totally Ruined by a recent overhaul.

Not even sure what they're complaining about, silenced Sparks? Throwing knives? DS Boost?

Nothing that's been added recently had had a huge impact on the gameplay- a slight meta shift to boss rushing but otherwise it's the same as it was with better performance.

Orv
May 4, 2011
DS Boost is the great satan according to most negative reviews.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Orv posted:

DS Boost is the great satan according to most negative reviews.

It puts you at a great tactical disadvantage if you choose to put yourself in their path. "Tactical disadvantage" is a foreign language to many players of video games, because it doesn't count bunny hops, headshots, or APM.

DS Boost is fine since the nerf down to 10s.

They're adding a "chaos bomb" in the next patch which simulates a firefight.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

DS boost just means that if you can't assault folks during the banishing phase, then get the gently caress out and try to ambush them after they've burned it down, closer to extract.

I do find it frustrating to get matched with level 100 guys who can buy guns that oneshot me while my guns just tickle their health bars. If i have the drop on someone, across a 100 foot stretch of water, they shouldn't be able to run at me and kill me with a machete while I shoot them.

Maybe add some sort of 'get shot, move slow' debuff a la Tarkov?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Elendil004 posted:

DS boost just means that if you can't assault folks during the banishing phase, then get the gently caress out and try to ambush them after they've burned it down, closer to extract.

I do find it frustrating to get matched with level 100 guys who can buy guns that oneshot me while my guns just tickle their health bars. If i have the drop on someone, across a 100 foot stretch of water, they shouldn't be able to run at me and kill me with a machete while I shoot them.

Maybe add some sort of 'get shot, move slow' debuff a la Tarkov?

There's very few weapons that cannot kill with two body shots at close range.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

There's very few weapons that cannot kill with two body shots at close range.

Well I guess I was equipped with both of them.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I would highly recommend bringing a shotgun of some form onto the map, especially if you find yourself in close quarters a lot. One shot from a Romero Handcannon (unlocked at the single digit bloodline ranks) can one shot a hunter who's charging you.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Elendil004 posted:

Well I guess I was equipped with both of them.

I'm pretty sure we're also just real bad at video games, honestly.

Hunt is still a good game though.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I think they also need to make the extract block zone bigger. We just were in a short range, 5-10 yd firefight with 2 hunters at extract and it extracted us :(

edit: being able to set downed players on fire is the new meta and that loving needs to stop.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 30, 2018

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

I think they also need to make the extract block zone bigger. We just were in a short range, 5-10 yd firefight with 2 hunters at extract and it extracted us :(

edit: being able to set downed players on fire is the new meta and that loving needs to stop.

This has always been the meta.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
They might adjust it a little bit. Sometimes it feels like I burn so fast that even if my buddy were to immediately win the firefight, there's no way he could get me up before I fried. Maybe some kind of perk.

My favorite death was when the Butcher set me on fire and knocked me underwater, so I slowly burned to death completely immersed in water.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I keep getting loving owned in this game. I'm clearly better at the PVE aspect but when it comes to the PVP I'm just a mark for the more experienced hunters out there.

Running solo it feels like the only signs anyone else is around are gun shots. Nobody seems to set off any sound triggers around me. Then when I do hear something it's usually buck shot hitting me center mass.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I know a lot of folks get really upset at this idea but having a killcam would do wonders for getting players caught up on how to play. Just being able to see how you messed up and what actions the other party took is worth more than a dozen guides.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I keep getting loving owned in this game. I'm clearly better at the PVE aspect but when it comes to the PVP I'm just a mark for the more experienced hunters out there.

Running solo it feels like the only signs anyone else is around are gun shots. Nobody seems to set off any sound triggers around me. Then when I do hear something it's usually buck shot hitting me center mass.

For what it is worth, I started this way, and still get downed that way sometimes. The first thing you should do is look at where all the spawns are, so you can guess, from the start, how busy it is going to be around you. This isn't 100%, but it helps.

The second thing you should do is stop playing solo because it makes it very, very hard to survive against better players. The average pub isn't that bad, and you can learn a lot playing with someone else. You don't even need to talk to them so much as observe them. I used to solo constantly and playing duos 100% upped my game.

Third, spend as little time as possible lurking around points of interest, like clues. People bait these constantly, and you're most likely to get killed on one.

Fourth, sometimes you're just going to walk into a guy who's sitting right beside a bale in the middle of a compound without any tells, and he's going to Dolch-gently caress you to death. It is literally impossible to check every corner. Sometimes there are tells like there being a lot of missing monsters or whatever, but if there isn't... :shrug:

Sard posted:

I know a lot of folks get really upset at this idea but having a killcam would do wonders for getting players caught up on how to play. Just being able to see how you messed up and what actions the other party took is worth more than a dozen guides.

A post-match killcam would be 100% a good thing for the game. It would help deal with hacks in the future, it would help educate players.

A lot of players are against it for the same reason they're against the DSB and basically anything that makes the game more accessible for casual players: because they are dicks.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

AndyElusive posted:

You have to keep your eyes peeled especially in the nearby spawn directions. Everyone spawns on the perimeter of the map.

I will often run straight away to an adjacent spawn and look for dudes who may have spawned there. Approach the clue from THEIR spawn point and you'd be surprised how many you come up behind.

If people are being stealthy, you need to listen for zombie kills and footsteps - those are usually the two giveaways. Other subtle signs might be zombie "alert" states where the zombie heard something but isn't directly aggro'ed.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A lot of players are against it for the same reason they're against the DSB and basically anything that makes the game more accessible for casual players: because they are dicks.

They also see the game as a "Trap the other players" kind of game, where their goal isn't to take objectives, but to be the last man/team standing at the end. Giving an end of game kill cam means that they're hiding spots (and they probably reuse the same ones) are revealed and eventually negates what they see as map mastery of the game.

I'm not saying their right, but you see that kinds of belief in almost any competitive shooter - I think the PvE aspect exacerbates it, because it means if you aren't playing with that mentality then they have a significant bonus once they've learned how to take their positions without generating any noise, and they don't want other people knowing how to do it because it mitigates that advantage. Since they see this as a game about trying to one-up the other players and win via deathmatch, rather than game about trying to kill monsters, get bounty, and get out without dying (win via objectives and escape, I guess) it means more to them that the places they go to ambush from aren't generally known. It's a terrible mentality to have going into this game, but it's one many people who've played competitive shooters are going to have, especially those coming from other games with Hardcore modes (1 death/match, dying relatively easily, etc.)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

That's too bad, I was hoping for a doubled down PvE mode, it would be cool to go in, kill all the bounties then have to meet up and like summon a big boss or something to fight.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Don’t play solo? How about got gud? :smug:

Noticing zombie aggro sounds / animal sounds is really huge. Not just crows, dogs/chickens and horses.

I am in favor of burning people quickly because I play solo so much and that’s the only way o guarantee a 1v1 after I ambush someone.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

TheAnomaly posted:

They also see the game as a "Trap the other players" kind of game, where their goal isn't to take objectives, but to be the last man/team standing at the end. Giving an end of game kill cam means that they're hiding spots (and they probably reuse the same ones) are revealed and eventually negates what they see as map mastery of the game.

I'm not saying their right, but you see that kinds of belief in almost any competitive shooter - I think the PvE aspect exacerbates it, because it means if you aren't playing with that mentality then they have a significant bonus once they've learned how to take their positions without generating any noise, and they don't want other people knowing how to do it because it mitigates that advantage. Since they see this as a game about trying to one-up the other players and win via deathmatch, rather than game about trying to kill monsters, get bounty, and get out without dying (win via objectives and escape, I guess) it means more to them that the places they go to ambush from aren't generally known. It's a terrible mentality to have going into this game, but it's one many people who've played competitive shooters are going to have, especially those coming from other games with Hardcore modes (1 death/match, dying relatively easily, etc.)

Yeah, and these players also get super baby mad whenever you point out that PvP isn't the objective. I can sort of understand some of their arguments, but when they're making them from a very hostile position that also seeks to invalidate anyone who maybe doesn't play video games all day every day.

It seems the studio is going to push for broader appeal though, and thank gently caress for that. By all means, have the no-kill cam super death mode ( nightmare mode ), and have casual mode for people that maybe just want something a little more casual, or a mode they can learn in.

It is kind of surprising how hospitable a lot of randoms can be, given the tone of the community on the various forums.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yeah, and these players also get super baby mad whenever you point out that PvP isn't the objective. I can sort of understand some of their arguments, but when they're making them from a very hostile position that also seeks to invalidate anyone who maybe doesn't play video games all day every day.

It seems the studio is going to push for broader appeal though, and thank gently caress for that. By all means, have the no-kill cam super death mode ( nightmare mode ), and have casual mode for people that maybe just want something a little more casual, or a mode they can learn in.

It is kind of surprising how hospitable a lot of randoms can be, given the tone of the community on the various forums.

PvP is the objective though, in a sense. The PvE is there to facilitate PvP happening, which is why they've made buff after buff to people actually hunting the boss instead of having three teams just camping around the perimeter for an entire match and no one making a move. That way when someone goes for the boss you actually get PvP happening.

Mind you I wouldn't object to some kind of less hardcore mode in order to get people in, the game is definitely one of those that presents a very high cliff to people getting into it if they're not already heavily familiar with the recent trend of sound important shooters (Siege, Battle Royales, etc).

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The thing that is forgiving to new people (in a weird way) is how UNFORGIVING the TTK is for the hunters. Your basic weaponry at Level 1 can easily kill someone if you get the jump on them.

Granted that an AutoMosin is a bit different than a Caldwell pistol - but a new person scoring a headshot on a Tier 3 who wasn't paying close enough attention will be a draw for new players.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I had this partner who's response to the banishing signal going up was to run full sprint to the boss area (we were only a couple hundred feet away perfectly silent), attempt to shoot/blast his way in through concertina and trying to shotgun out fusees, and die to a big dynamite bundle. all while yelling on voice chat.
some freakin people.
we could easily have just snuck in the other side and gotten the jump on them.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

He sounds cool

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How do you guys decide who's the alpha and who's the beta in duos? Serious question, I'm not asking who's a power bottom.

How do you go about following and how do you best get them to cooperate with you?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Basic pub game theory says that if such thoughts even cross your mind then congratulations, you'll be forever following after the drunk or high rando you're paired with, watching their six and cleaning up their mess. Essentially, you can only control yourself, and if YOU always follow the other guy, you'll always be more or less working together. If you instead decided to lead it's a total toss of the dice as to where that rando is going to be in any point of the match. So either deliberately become their shadow and play to win or, you know, say the hell with it and crank up your all rush mix tape as you storm the barbed wire with your reinfield.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
I played with pubs for several levels early on and had a good experience saying "hey what do you think about going here?" I haven't done pub duos recently but overall it seemed like most people used voicechat and understood that going full hogs-out Rambo style wasn't a winning strategy.

I want a danged postmatch killcam. If nothing else it'd make it easier to figure out what I did wrong when I die unexpectedly. Don't display it until your duo is out to avoid an in match advantage but drat.

Also if your partner is downed and set on fire how do you get them up? It seems like I'd have to jump into the flames for even a chance at it.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

caedwalla posted:

I played with pubs for several levels early on and had a good experience saying "hey what do you think about going here?" I haven't done pub duos recently but overall it seemed like most people used voicechat and understood that going full hogs-out Rambo style wasn't a winning strategy.

I want a danged postmatch killcam. If nothing else it'd make it easier to figure out what I did wrong when I die unexpectedly. Don't display it until your duo is out to avoid an in match advantage but drat.

Also if your partner is downed and set on fire how do you get them up? It seems like I'd have to jump into the flames for even a chance at it.

you can often get above the fire (hop onto barrels, etc) but yeah, if someone threw a lamp and their in the middle you're getting fire damage yourself. Salveskin has its uses.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AndyElusive posted:

How do you guys decide who's the alpha and who's the beta in duos? Serious question, I'm not asking who's a power bottom.

How do you go about following and how do you best get them to cooperate with you?

I play a game of "gay chicken" with my partners, and whoever backs out first is the beta.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
As in life, generally there's a person who naturally takes the lead and says "lets go here and do this" and someone who says "OK." It's a social dynamic that is not unique to this game.

What's more important is establishing what you're both going to do in a firefight. I'm invariably more effective in shotgun range with shotguns - so I make sure that's known to my partner. There's nothing worse for someone like me than a partner who starts a long range rifle fight across a field.

As an example, we spotted two guys sneaking around on the NE side of slaughterhouse. I crept closer to the fence and had my partner start taking shots from the treeline on the east side once I was in position. He took cover, and the other dudes started their approach looking for the shooter - showing me their backs and are now within a few feet of me. :getin:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well I smoked me a Tier 2 and a Tier 3 Level 100 yesterday with my lowly Tier 1 Level 4 after they caught me and my partner with a Concertina Bomb, so I'm definitely getting better at PVP and I thank the OP shotguns for that.

The Tier 3 caught me just as I fed him some buckshot and the rending made him bleed out after he downed me. I would have been so pissed if I were them.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

AndyElusive posted:

Well I smoked me a Tier 2 and a Tier 3 Level 100 yesterday with my lowly Tier 1 Level 4 after they caught me and my partner with a Concertina Bomb, so I'm definitely getting better at PVP and I thank the OP shotguns for that.

The Tier 3 caught me just as I fed him some buckshot and the rending made him bleed out after he downed me. I would have been so pissed if I were them.

This game has some really cool weapons, but some stand out as being the best value for the price. You can never go wrong with a Caldwell Rival or Romero Hatchet.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Goon Weekend Game Roundup:

Game 1:

Explody: "I'm running low on money, I'm just going to blow it on an auto Mosin and have some fun."
Tinfoil: "gently caress it, :same:"

*Murder everyone on the map with the two auto Mosins, collect both bounties. Be called "gay" and/or "unfair"*

Game 2:
*Murder everyone on the map with the two auto Mosins, collect both bounties. Be called "gay" and/or "unfair"*

Game 3:

Game 4:

Game 5:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Hunt free weekend started today if you have been on the fence come on down and get some games in :getin:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

poo poo. I refunded a while back, but I think I'll revisit it this weekend so I can put more than a couple of hours in.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
gently caress yes. Got my first ever kill and win. Feels good. My buddy didn't seem to get what was going on since he didn't pick up a bounty token, but hey, we did something. The legend of KARL ERTL grows.

I love the load music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvd5Mrjq3jc

e: i am now terrified of playing another game. karl ertl must live

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 10, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
This is probably the most interesting and addictive shooter I've played in years, and every time I play it, I enjoy the poo poo out of myself.

Learning curve's a bitch tho, and there are plenty of things that aren't really obvious. For instance, those silent kills you're making with your knife? Yeah they still make some noise, and people can hear them.

I have my gripes with the game, but every patch, the developers make it more about pursuing the objectives and rewarding the people that do, encouraging movement over playing passively, etc.

The gameplay has this amazing habit of generating moments where you feel like an absolute bad rear end. Without saying a word between us, me and my rando pub partner both drew our machetes as we ambushed a team in a boss-room and charged through their molotov cocktal flames, hacking them to death.

Just yesterday I had one where we banished the only boss on the map and had four different teams converge on me and my partner at the same time, attacking each other and our house, busting in through different doors at the same time. Total chaos, absolute fun.

Try it while it's free.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah, this game really is great. Everyone who enjoys team based FPSes that are trying something new should really give this a shot. I can’t play too many rounds in a row because it’s so loving intense but, man, it’s really cool. And the aesthetic is so great.

Are they going to add more maps? Have they said? This one is great but I’m curious what other locales they could explore.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Pathos posted:

Yeah, this game really is great. Everyone who enjoys team based FPSes that are trying something new should really give this a shot. I can’t play too many rounds in a row because it’s so loving intense but, man, it’s really cool. And the aesthetic is so great.

Are they going to add more maps? Have they said? This one is great but I’m curious what other locales they could explore.

Yes, they have a roadmap on their site. I remember seeing it on a stream and a larger swath of it was urban-ish - like a town.

Lots of fresh meat this weekend, if you find yourself getting owned repeatedly consult the 2nd post on making noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Some more tips for anyone new to the free weekend:

• Find a partner who has half a brain cell and get in either the official Hunt discord or the goon one listed in the OP. Random partners are better than average - but most likely you'll get someone ELSE who's new and be handicapped by the in - game voice which will broadcast to any Tier 3's who snuck up on you with a Crown + King, (me)

• Get use to the Winfield - this is going to be your standard issue rifle at lower levels. If you want to play the range game, this is your bread + butter. You might be fortunate enough to hit Tier 2 Bloodline (Rank 33) in which case you'll start seeing the Carbine and Sparks. But the majority of the time you'll be packing a Winnie at lower ranks.

• If you are like me and aren't great at aiming, grab the Romero or Romero Hatchet. Sneak up on your targets and land a solid body shot. Remember that one solid hit at close range from a shotgun will down anyone. Once you get the Caldwell double barrel you're golden.

• Be smart about your engagement range. One of the biggest mistakes new people make is that they open fire as soon as they catch a glimpse of another Hunter. Be quiet, get close, and land a hit. If you open up too far with a Winfield and miss, that other guy might be packing a Sparks, Mosin, or Nitro and ruin your day.

• Set the world on fire. Use the pickup lanterns to light up Armored and Hives in your way. If you down a hunter, burn his corpse ASAP to put pressure on his partner and ensure he doesn't get up.

• Know when to fold 'em. If you are halfway across the map from the boss, someone else has the bounty or is banishing, and you are hearing Nitro's go off - think about survival instead of rushing headlong into your death. Bounty carriers have a large advantage with DS boost, and if they're experienced it is going to mean your end unless you setup a very good ambush. I'm not saying you should be a chickenshit every round, I'm saying you need to think about the situation you are about to walk into and make smart calls.