Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

The Narrator posted:

One's for, one's against, one's not sure one way or another.

The last one is advocating tolerance from both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

The purges on the other hand give you a ticking-clock disaster that'll happen unless you choose to enact the purges, which simultaneously makes the player the one responsible for the purges, punishes them if they refuse to carry out the purges, and implies that the purges were necessary and smart statesmanship on the part of Stalin. It's the worst design decision in the entire game.

yeah really makes u think

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Paradox DOES go out of it's way to not call Admiral Horthy a Fascist.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well, he was far worse than a fascist. He was Hungarian.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
He was also still an admiral long after the state stopped having a coastline.
e; admiral horthy, land of contrasts

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 2, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hungary gets the fun opportunity to have an explicitly fascist monarchy run by a guy who joined the SS in our timeline.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Funky Valentine posted:

Hungary gets the fun opportunity to have an explicitly fascist monarchy run by a guy who joined the SS in our timeline.
Are you talking about the Habsburg guy that they can bring back, orrr?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are you talking about the Habsburg guy that they can bring back, orrr?
Of the "restore the monarchy" paths, one is installing this guy as the head of a fascist Hungary.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Funky Valentine posted:

Of the "restore the monarchy" paths, one is installing this guy as the head of a fascist Hungary.
Oh, uh, wow.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
New Imperator Dev Diary. Unit abilities, and how it looks in the code for modding.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

quote:

Select Objective - Can Select an Objective for this unit, and it will perform it without further input from you. More details in a later development diary.

This one sounds good for all the people who didn’t want any playing in their game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fellblade posted:

This one sounds good for all the people who didn’t want any playing in their game.

More of an MP feature I expect since you can't pause

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:stare: That modding/scripting layer... Loops...

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

quote:

Phalanx - Slower movement for armies, while heavy infantry defence is much stronger.

Hmm is movement speed also an in-combat thing or is this what it looks like and their movement speed is reduced out of combat? Because I think it's pretty funny to imagine legions of Greeks marching in tight battle formations everywhere they go. "The enemy could attack at any time, boys, now form up! We've got two miles to go until we reach Athens, so we should be there by Thursday!"

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

catlord posted:

New Imperator Dev Diary. Unit abilities, and how it looks in the code for modding.

Not sure why they highlight the "split in half", "disband", and "reorganize" buttons but the idea of stances is at least interesting.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

bees everywhere posted:

Hmm is movement speed also an in-combat thing or is this what it looks like and their movement speed is reduced out of combat? Because I think it's pretty funny to imagine legions of Greeks marching in tight battle formations everywhere they go. "The enemy could attack at any time, boys, now form up! We've got two miles to go until we reach Athens, so we should be there by Thursday!"
Sounds like something toggled also out of combat , like raiding in CK2.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dwesa posted:

Sounds like something toggled also out of combat , like raiding in CK2.

The idea of the phalanx being an army toggle thing rather than a passive effect of your army composition feels.. wrong. But we will see.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Beamed posted:

The idea of the phalanx being an army toggle thing rather than a passive effect of your army composition feels.. wrong. But we will see.
I think it makes sense because it allows for rapid movement, but more vulnerable, or slower movement but less vulnerable. It adds something tangible to the fact that an army that is marching is not ready for combat and an army that is ready for combat is not ready to march; an army that wants to march *and* be ready to fight will march slower.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fellblade posted:

hmmm yes, if I don't have to directly control every single one of my units literally all the time then I'm not really playing the game

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pakled posted:

Stellaris atrocities are a lot less visceral than other Paradox atrocities (at least to me) because
A. they're against cultures that do not, did not, and will not actually exist in real life, and
B. the nature of the atrocities are for the most part things that have not happened in human history and are not possible given human technology

While that's true, going through the long and expensive route from basic droids to fully sapient synthetic AI pops with full species rights just like organics and then turning right around and enslaving them into manual labor is just :discourse:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think it makes sense because it allows for rapid movement, but more vulnerable, or slower movement but less vulnerable. It adds something tangible to the fact that an army that is marching is not ready for combat and an army that is ready for combat is not ready to march; an army that wants to march *and* be ready to fight will march slower.

There's also the question of how the toggle actually works. If it takes a month to switch into phalanx mode, or if switching comes with a morale drop that then slowly ticks up (like disembarking in EU4), and if that weak inbetween state lasts long enough for enemy cavalry to cross several provinces and attack you, it would be a more meaningful choice because you'd have to commit to waging a much slower war before entering enemy territory, and the risk of switching between the two modes whilst in enemy territory would be greater.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

hmmm yes, if I don't have to directly control every single one of my units literally all the time then I'm not really playing the game

Yep

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I’m pretty sure the dream game for most paradox players is a game that paints the map itself.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I really dig EU4 and Stellaris, I've tried to mess around with CK2 a few times but have a hard time getting into it

Is there a good summary or writeup you've seen of how to ... enjoy CK2? Being not very familiar with it, it strikes me as a sort of character driven Paradox game where you regularly have to deal with losing territory to succession, your kings getting sick and having their faces cut off, all that kind of stuff.

It would be interesting to play an intrigue, plotting, and scheming driven game like CK2, but I'm never quite sure what you're supposed to care about. Are you trying to get lots of land, or are you trying to build up cool heirs and a juicy court, or are you trying to do both?

It would be super cool if there's a good writeup/video or guide to read what aspects people find enjoyable or rewarding.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

what aspects people find enjoyable or rewarding.

Centuries-long breeding program to create a family of supermen.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

what aspects people find enjoyable or rewarding.

Pillaging the Med and burning Rome as the Berber pirate queen of Crete.

But in all seriousness, being character-driven rather than state-driven means that your goals can range anywhere from creating the greatest empire known to man, to killing all the loving Karlings. It's very freeform, in that way. It's not really a question of 'what should I care about,' rather 'what do I want to care about?'

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah that makes sense, and given that, perhaps a way to phrase the question is "what kinds of freeform objectives work with the gameplay and the setting to be viable with the game mechanics rather than at odds with them"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah that makes sense, and given that, perhaps a way to phrase the question is "what kinds of freeform objectives work with the gameplay and the setting to be viable with the game mechanics rather than at odds with them"

set yourself lofty goals similar to the sorts of goals you'd set for eu4, but stick with the game even when you have setbacks. you'll quickly run into the interpersonal shenanigans that make the game interesting

plus the timeframe is so long that you can waste several generations and still accomplish whatever you're aiming for

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah if you just start conquering like you would in eu4 you'll run into all the fun character mechanics. The system is very active and reactive, sometimes people will just decide to hate you and you have to then deal with that in fun ways. The whole world is divided up into de jure duchies and kingdoms and empires, so they give you a nice guide if you're not sure where to conquer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m pretty sure the dream game for most paradox players is a game that paints the map itself.

Serious question: why do you people even care about just giving players an option to not have to manually control everything all the time? That's incredibly petty.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Serious question: why do you people even care about just giving players an option to not have to manually control everything all the time? That's incredibly petty.

because they're nerds op. Getting mad that people are doing things better than they are is their purpose in life

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fister Roboto posted:

Look, if someone is doing something in a different way than me, it's not okay. It doesn't matter that the end result is the same, if someone does something differently, we must speak out against it. Some abominations cannot be allowed to propagate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Agean90 posted:

because they're nerds op. Getting mad that people are doing things better than they are is their purpose in life

Better?

Lol I guess not playing a game is one definition of better.

VNs are the ideal game.

Where were you people when the India thing was going on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Better?

VNs are the ideal game.

You're a loving moron. Stop posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Better?

VNs are the ideal game.

I was in the thread watching some guy melt down obnoxiously over a game. Where were you? Oh, right.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Like this isn't a difficult concept. I don't want to have to babysit every single one of my armies literally all the loving time. That's not wanting to not play the game, unless you're a loving moron.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You're a loving moron. Stop posting.

You could make a bot that responds to all my posts.

We wouldn’t lose anything of value.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How about we take this nonsense in the opposite direction, and make it so that you have to issue orders to every soldier and sailor in your military individually. Delegating command is for losers.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Better?

VNs are the ideal game.

u seem upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Agean90 posted:

u seem upset

Or maybe I like VNs

Fister Roboto posted:

How about we take this nonsense in the opposite direction, and make it so that you have to issue orders to every soldier and sailor in your military individually. Delegating command is for losers.

People do complain combat is uninvolved so why not