Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

It’s like a 200 gram difference so I don’t think it’ll matter too much. And the 35-100 is the Mark I, but I wasn’t really thinking about selling it, more about going to my photography store and making some sort of trade :D Anyway, I’m in Europe, which complicates these types of deals, but thanks for the interest.

Has anyone here made the switch from the 12-40 to the 12-100?

The reviews I've seen on the 12-100 have largely been pretty good, especially as a travel do-everything lens. I'm very close to offloading my 12-40 because I just don't find much use for it these days now that I have the 25mm f/1.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

DJExile posted:

The reviews I've seen on the 12-100 have largely been pretty good, especially as a travel do-everything lens. I'm very close to offloading my 12-40 because I just don't find much use for it these days now that I have the 25mm f/1.2.

gently caress that’s a nice lens. Long term I’d like to downsize to the 12-100, 17 f1.2 and Nocticron...

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I just did my first wedding shoot. Fortunately it was a very low key city-hall-type event, and I repeatedly told the groom (my brother) that I am not much of a portrait photographer, let alone a wedding photographer. But he was in a serious bind - I was voluntold 5 days before the event that I was the photographer.

The good:
-I bought the A7R3 a few months ago, with 100% landscape photography in mind. A wedding shoot was the perfect curve ball to force me to learn how to use a bunch of cool features the camera has (silent shutter, eye detection).
-I did not completely gently caress up, but I should have shot more images with the lens (Zeiss 55 mm f/1.8) stopped down to ~f/8 to have more of the garments and background in focus rather than mostly the eyes/faces.
-The clients were happy.

The bad ugly:
-They immediately ask for the in-camera jpgs, which is fine and understandable. They find a couple of shots they really like. "Wow, so sharp/detailed, OMG!!!" ... and ... they ... proceed to take cell phone images of the images (on the computer screen). :catstare: I proceed to lose my mind followed by autistic screeching.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
My OM-D E-M10 ii finally came in :toot: I'm really loving it, even if I spent all day just adjusting settings and taking pictures of my dog. Any recommendations for setups or settings or whatever?

What I'm not loving is Google express, which took three weeks to get it to me from Adorama for some reason. They also canceled one of the ordered lenses the day they were set to ship out cus apparently they ran out of stock. I then proceeded to order the same lens off Adorama itself without the Google express middleman, and it's set to be delivered tomorrow, about a week after placing the order. Also set to arrive tomorrow is the other lens that Google express didn't mysteriously cancel, which was originally slated to arrive today too but whatever a day late isn't the end of the world.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

theHUNGERian posted:

I just did my first wedding shoot. They ask for the in-camera jpgs, which is fine and understandable. They find a couple of shots they really like. "Wow, so sharp/detailed, OMG!!!" ... and ... they ... proceed to take cell phone images of the images (on the computer screen). :catstare: I proceed to lose my mind followed by autistic screeching.

Should have just shot it with a camera phone.

Congrats though. I still get a little nervous on every wedding and always come out successful. I don't have another until September and it will be my first with my A7iii. I'm half excited and half nervous.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

CodfishCartographer posted:

My OM-D E-M10 ii finally came in :toot: I'm really loving it, even if I spent all day just adjusting settings and taking pictures of my dog. Any recommendations for setups or settings or whatever?

Most useful stuff I've found so far - pressing OK will bring up a mini setting menu which is very handy. Dragging a finger over the touch screen will change the focus area for both automatic but also the manual x10 magnification view. Way faster than using the dpad to move the focus window.

That time photographing your dog will be well spent! I got one recently and whilst it's mostly been straightforward I have missed a couple shots out of lack of familiarity.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

theHUNGERian posted:

I just did my first wedding shoot. Fortunately it was a very low key city-hall-type event, and I repeatedly told the groom (my brother) that I am not much of a portrait photographer, let alone a wedding photographer. But he was in a serious bind - I was voluntold 5 days before the event that I was the photographer.

The good:
-I bought the A7R3 a few months ago, with 100% landscape photography in mind. A wedding shoot was the perfect curve ball to force me to learn how to use a bunch of cool features the camera has (silent shutter, eye detection).
-I did not completely gently caress up, but I should have shot more images with the lens (Zeiss 55 mm f/1.8) stopped down to ~f/8 to have more of the garments and background in focus rather than mostly the eyes/faces.
-The clients were happy.

The bad ugly:
-They immediately ask for the in-camera jpgs, which is fine and understandable. They find a couple of shots they really like. "Wow, so sharp/detailed, OMG!!!" ... and ... they ... proceed to take cell phone images of the images (on the computer screen). :catstare: I proceed to lose my mind followed by autistic screeching.

Yeah, wedding photography really teaches you to learn to stop down a bit. Lots of wedding photogs do the "100% wide open on a full frame sensor" thing. Shallow DOF is a tool not a style, the world would be so much better if people just used f/4-f/8 more often.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Robin Wong has some good Olympus specific stuff on his site, I found this useful (and his reviews) when getting used to Pen-F:

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-robin-wongs-om-d-camera-cheat-sheet.html

Olympus menus are not actually that bad at all, there's just ton of customization.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

mudskipp posted:

That time photographing your dog will be well spent! I got one recently and whilst it's mostly been straightforward I have missed a couple shots out of lack of familiarity.

Try letting him sniff your hand first.

I took a bunch of shots with my E-M10 iii on a trip over the weekend. I remember having to back up for most shots. My viewfinder wasn’t getting everything in the shot. “This 25mm prime has a narrower field of view than you’d think. Definitely less than what the human eye sees.”

I discovered a half a day later that I had accidentally pressed the 2x digital zoom button :ughh:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dangerllama posted:

Try letting him sniff your hand first.

I took a bunch of shots with my E-M10 iii on a trip over the weekend. I remember having to back up for most shots. My viewfinder wasn’t getting everything in the shot. “This 25mm prime has a narrower field of view than you’d think. Definitely less than what the human eye sees.”

I discovered a half a day later that I had accidentally pressed the 2x digital zoom button :ughh:

Man I rewrote that button like instantly. I might add it back to use as a temporary zoom while manually focusing. I know you can enable it to zoom automatically when you manually focus, but sometimes I don't want it to.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Man I rewrote that button like instantly. I might add it back to use as a temporary zoom while manually focusing. I know you can enable it to zoom automatically when you manually focus, but sometimes I don't want it to.

When you use a manual focus ring, does the olympus not have a setting to automatically make the center 50% of the view zoomed in for assisting with the focusing?

I can see some cases where this wouldnt be good enough, but so far it has suited most of my needs.

Panasonic also has several useless buttons on the back which is great cause I have good placed to remap things like touchscreen toggle on/off.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Posting here that I’ve got a Fuji 10-24 f4 and Fuji 23mm f2 up for sale in the buy/sell thread. Phone posting, or else I’d insert the link.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

GEMorris posted:

When you use a manual focus ring, does the olympus not have a setting to automatically make the center 50% of the view zoomed in for assisting with the focusing?

I can see some cases where this wouldnt be good enough, but so far it has suited most of my needs.

Panasonic also has several useless buttons on the back which is great cause I have good placed to remap things like touchscreen toggle on/off.

With Olympus it seems to zoom the entire EVF, rather than just a smaller center portion. After about half a second of not focusing, it zooms back out. A smaller window may be a setting I’ve missed somewhere, but it doesn’t seem to be in the MF Assist options.

I haven’t tried manually focusing through the screen on the back so I dunno if it’s different there.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

What I'm not loving is Google express, which took three weeks to get it to me from Adorama for some reason. They also canceled one of the ordered lenses the day they were set to ship out cus apparently they ran out of stock. I then proceeded to order the same lens off Adorama itself without the Google express middleman, and it's set to be delivered tomorrow, about a week after placing the order. Also set to arrive tomorrow is the other lens that Google express didn't mysteriously cancel, which was originally slated to arrive today too but whatever a day late isn't the end of the world.

What the gently caress do you mean, "just taking pictures of my dog?"

There's no higher purpose to your camera than that.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

melon cat posted:

Yes it does seem that way. I sold off my a6500 because I'm convinced that Sony APS-C is dead. They seriously stopped giving a poo poo about that product line. And worse yet, they seem to be treating APS-C as the "budget" lineup for amateur photographer and marketing FF as the "upgrade" that they should all aspire to. Annoying, since APS-C is perfectly fine for professional use.

I think you're over-reacting a bit. They released the a6300 and then the a6500 not too long after it with some pretty nice improvements (IBIS, touchscreen). Larger sensors have their place, but if you take sensor size out of the equation, what features would you want to add from the FF line-ups that the a6500 doesn't have?

The a7iii has the larger sensor, a bit higher native ISO (51.2 vs 25.6) a bit higher shutter speed (1/8000 vs 1/4000) and other than that not all that much else for the $2000 vs $1400 price bump. And the ISO was probably a given just due to the sensor size increase.

I don't really pay attention to video so perhaps there's something in that area.

There are most certainly good reasons to look at other mirrorless systems this year - but I don't think there are any real signs that Sony doesn't care about APS-C anymore. Especially if you've got the top of the line camera - one that they received flak for releasing so soon after the a6300 and over-saturating their own lineup no less.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lenses? When's the last time Sony released a new APS-C lens that was at all interesting? Fuji has a nice full lineup of lenses and keeps releasing more, same with the micro 4/3s crowd. Sony isn't as bad as Canon but it's still not great.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'd argue that not much has changed on the lens front over time. I'm not saying they're in a good situation, but nothing has really gotten much better or worse since they launched. I wouldn't use it as a sign that they've given up on APSC, but more that the future holds what we've seen in the past.

It's certainly a valid reason to leave Sony, but definitely lenses don't show that Sony has given up on the APSC line up at all. It just shows that while they can make great sensors and great bodies - they can't figure out how to compete on the lens front.

e: the last one from Sony that was interesting to me was the 35/1.8. And you're right that nothing good is coming out consistently. But it's been that way since they started the mirrorless game. The 50/1.8 is a great lens for the price, but 75mm crop is hard to use without some planning.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 1, 2018

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Sony put more effort into their FF lens lineup than the APSC lineup. Nikon and Canon are pretty much guilty of the same thing but they at least have a 17-55mm 2.8 pro lens for their APSC mounts and there are more 3rd party options.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Not disagreeing, but as a long time Sony ASPC user - I don't think they've really changed their level of commitment to the lens lineup for APSC.

Early on I believed the talk that they had a lot coming soon, but eventually I just accepted what I had and was happy to find good photos with them.

The only point I'm trying to make is I don't think they've given up on APSC as much as they're treating it the same as they have since they launched mirrorless cameras 6 years ago.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Fuji has a better lens line 'for the format' than Sony, but at least now with the FE 70-300 and 100-400 there are good tools for sports & wildlife photography that take advantage of the super-fast AF and IBIS of the a6500. Even if the 70-300 seems a little on the expensive side for a f/5.6 zoom.

If Sigma offered native E-mount versions of their f/1.8 zooms plus maybe a couple more of their DC lenses like the 17-70, then I think suddenly you have a more viable APSC system alternative to Fuji.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I used a Sony A7ii with a 50mm f/1.8 for a month. It was okay. I just still vastly prefer the usability of fuji bodies. The lens lineup was slightly disappointing but I'd have lived with it ended up being holy poo poo good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

8th-snype posted:

Yeah, wedding photography really teaches you to learn to stop down a bit. Lots of wedding photogs do the "100% wide open on a full frame sensor" thing. Shallow DOF is a tool not a style, the world would be so much better if people just used f/4-f/8 more often.

Buying an x100f broke me of this habit real quick, since the leaf shutter means you literally can't walk around wide open like a jag off in daylight

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

8th-snype posted:

Believe me, I shoot with all apertures when I am using my all manual 21 mm Loxia (landscape = I have time to compose and shoot), but the 55 mm doesn't have an aperture ring, so changing from f1.8 to f6 requires more time that I didn't think I would have. In addition, the game plan for the wedding was to shoot wide open because we would be at a popular city hall (San Francisco = many other weddings + tourists + normal workers in the background), so I wanted background isolation. But there were plenty of shots where the background was not only free of people, but also full of interesting architecture. Oh well, lesson learned, which will be applied next time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think I'm going insane, yesterday I swear my e-m10 mk2 had one third grid lines. Today after trying out a few different grid setups, I switch back and they're in golden Ratio. Were they always like this and I just never noticed for some reason??? Am I going crazy??

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

8th-snype posted:

I took some shallow DOF pictures at a BBQ this past weekend and I regretted quite a few of them. I ended up with some sort of odd looking pictures where someone is holding a baby and the person standing just off their shoulder looking at the baby is just out of focus because I didn't stop it down. Not like "obliterated into a pleasing bokeh fuzz" but "Are they supposed to be blurry?" levels. Shallow DOF is for when you really want to isolate one thing or to create "art". F/8 is much better when you want to document things.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

What the gently caress do you mean, "just taking pictures of my dog?"

There's no higher purpose to your camera than that.

New lenses came in, time to take more dog pix

(and also play around with converting raws to B&W in darkroom)

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Aredna posted:

I'd argue that not much has changed on the lens front over time. I'm not saying they're in a good situation, but nothing has really gotten much better or worse since they launched. I wouldn't use it as a sign that they've given up on APSC, but more that the future holds what we've seen in the past.

It's certainly a valid reason to leave Sony, but definitely lenses don't show that Sony has given up on the APSC line up at all. It just shows that while they can make great sensors and great bodies - they can't figure out how to compete on the lens front.

And therein lies the problem. Sony seems to be focusing on selling fancy sensors and camera bodies instead of developing their line of APS-C lenses. And as a video shooter, I really felt like they were pushing video people to "upgrade" to FF, which is silly because Super35 is closer to APS-C. And it was getting really annoying hearing all of these rumours about new Sony glass and it always ends up being some new $4000 FF emount.

On a somewhat related note- I also left Sony because I'm convinced that they hate their customers. Every lens repair that I've gone through has taken a minimum of 2 months. They've had my Zeiss 55mm in their New York repair shop since May 27. And sometimes they take over a month just to diagnose the problem, nevermind get to work on actually fixing it. And they're pretty much inaccessible throughout the whole process so you never know what stage of the repair they're at. Screw that.

cheese posted:

I took some shallow DOF pictures at a BBQ this past weekend and I regretted quite a few of them. I ended up with some sort of odd looking pictures where someone is holding a baby and the person standing just off their shoulder looking at the baby is just out of focus because I didn't stop it down. Not like "obliterated into a pleasing bokeh fuzz" but "Are they supposed to be blurry?" levels. Shallow DOF is for when you really want to isolate one thing or to create "art". F/8 is much better when you want to document things.
This is exactly why I could never understand those people who want those ultra-fast F/0.95 lenses. Pretty much the eyelash will be in focus while everything else gets depth of field'ed out into a bokeh'd mess.

"Awesome. The tip of my nose is in focus."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 3, 2018

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

melon cat posted:

On a somewhat related note- I also left Sony because I'm convinced that they hate their customers. Every lens repair that I've gone through has taken a minimum of 2 months. They've had my Zeiss 55mm in their New York repair shop since May 27. And sometimes they take over a month just to diagnose the problem, nevermind get to work on actually fixing it. And they're pretty much inaccessible throughout the whole process so you never know what stage of the repair they're at. Screw that.

Not all of their customers, just most of them! If you're a pro and drop a shitload of serious cash (only full frame bodies and G-Master/Zeiss lenses need apply), their pro services arm will turn your repairs around in "3 days" (maybe) or give you a loaner (maybe) and still be totally inaccessible during the process. :v:

I really hope Canon knocks it out of the park whenever they jump into the mirrorless party for real, because having dealt with everyone's pro and consumer service arms, Canon's most uniformly don't suck.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just got the 12-100 in exchange for my 12-40 and 35-100 (and a little cash). This thing is a beast, not regretting the trade at all so far.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Wengy posted:

Just got the 12-100 in exchange for my 12-40 and 35-100 (and a little cash). This thing is a beast, not regretting the trade at all so far.

Is this m43?

I am really interested to hear your long term thoughts, this is one of the paths we are considering for my wife's travel setup

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Molten Llama posted:

Not all of their customers, just most of them! If you're a pro and drop a shitload of serious cash (only full frame bodies and G-Master/Zeiss lenses need apply), their pro services arm will turn your repairs around in "3 days" (maybe) or give you a loaner (maybe) and still be totally inaccessible during the process. :v:

I really hope Canon knocks it out of the park whenever they jump into the mirrorless party for real, because having dealt with everyone's pro and consumer service arms, Canon's most uniformly don't suck.

I use Sony Pro Services and it's legitimately good. They gave me a loaner next day when my a99ii had a minor issue and I had my original body back in three days.

It's like people forget that Sony Pro Services has been supporting professional videographers for decades.

(that said, they stuck with Precision for too long)

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 3, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Molten Llama posted:

I really hope Canon knocks it out of the park whenever they jump into the mirrorless party for real

Hahahahahahahahahaha :negative:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

kefkafloyd posted:

I use Sony Pro Services and it's legitimately good. They gave me a loaner next day when my a99ii had a minor issue and I had my original body back in three days.

It's like people forget that Sony Pro Services has been supporting professional videographers for decades.

(that said, they stuck with Precision for too long)

So I've got to ask then- what are Sony's requirements for being considered a "professional"? Because given the Sony tax that I've been paying for all of my gear (FS5, a6500, Zeiss 55mm, Zeiss 24mm) I expected some degree of decent service (LOL), but we all know how that turned out.

Edit: Just checked out the Pro Support website and you have to apply for Pro Support? Like... huh.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

GEMorris posted:

Is this m43?

I am really interested to hear your long term thoughts, this is one of the paths we are considering for my wife's travel setup

Same here. If it's not much heavier than the 12-40 and still good, sounds like a killer travel lens.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

GEMorris posted:

Is this m43?

Yeah, it’s micro four thirds. I’ve posted about this issue before and it’s obviously highly dependent on your preferences, but I just found myself leaving the 35-100 f2.8 at home and relying on the 12-40 because I’m lazy and I hate switching lenses unless it’s absolutely necessary. Which is a shame, because while Oly’s 12-40 is an absolutely stellar lens I often found myself wanting a longer focal length, especially on vacation.

Time will tell whether I’ll miss the additional stop of the 12-40, but a quick survey of my current vacation haul indicates that a tiny minority of pictures was taken at brighter Apertures than f2.8... And anyway, Sync-IS with the new lens will make up for that. Even with my lowly E-M1 mk 1 I can achieve insane handheld shutter speeds. When I take pictures of kids indoors I bring the Nocticron and a flash anyway.

There is a size/weigh penalty though, no doubt about that - the 12-100 is a beast. However, it will allow me to cover an equivalent FL of 12-200mm and use the bag space that would have gone to the 35-100 (if I weren’t lazy) for a prime.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 4, 2018

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

scaevola posted:

Same here. If it's not much heavier than the 12-40 and still good, sounds like a killer travel lens.

The weight difference is manageable, it’s like 200 grams or something, but it is quite a bit longer and girthier, could be problematic depending on your bag.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm tempted to pick up an X-T2 on sale for night photography and such. I already have an E-M5 II and the 12-40 lens, so it's probably not worth bothering with the 18-55, right?

I don't need this at all but the camera feels really solid and I want to see what the fuss is about

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
X-T2 for 1K brand new is an absolute steal.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah if I get an X-T2 I'll probably start with a used 35/1.4 and get a 56/1.2 and/or 23/1.4 at some point down the line, while keeping the Oly 12-40 and Pana 15/1.7 as a travel kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Edit: Just checked out the Pro Support website and you have to apply for Pro Support? Like... huh.

You have to apply, send work samples, and have an existing member as a reference to get into Nikon Professional Services. I told them everyone I know in the industry shoots Canon or Sony and they let me in without the reference though.