Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PederP posted:

I think CIG miscalculated badly with this move.

Because either UEC is the core currency driving the in-game economy or there needs to be other mechanics gating progression/purchasing power. But that's completely at odds with a sandbox universe and relies on themepark MMO mechanics.

They've promised a backers a wildly unrealistic in-game economy - and unlike any other mechanics they simply can't put a tier 0 implementation place, because the economy is at the heart of progression and player power in a sandbox game.

Nail on the head, mate.

Also, we've each put more thought into SC's design than all of CIG has. It really is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Zaphod42 posted:

loving LOL @ "that's actually a pretty big milestone."

Please, it will be decades before any other publisher lapdog developer even contemplates something as advanced as "purchasing in-game currency with real money" or "buy stuff in a game with in-game currency".

I have it on good authority that John Carmack has been attempting such a thing for the last 15 years and has yet to get anywhere close to it.
Sit down my goon refundian troll and let the Code Whisperer educate you.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

wow these guys must have like 40 studios and a trillion dollars to be able to pull this off.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

He can't win a dogfight if he can't enter by the door of his spaceship.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't play this lovely game and you do.

No he doesn't. He can't ; noone can. Get your facts right.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

making games is hard

who knew?

Wasn't Roberts.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ok, I'm getting worried. I just read the last 2 lines and immediately knew that rear end in a top hat had to be silentRuin.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmbo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

big nipples big life posted:

keramz turn to the light side is a heartwarming story.

Oh man seeing that “holding crooks accountable” then reading this just killed me for some reason.

:lol::lol::lol:

Scruffpuff posted:

* There will be no final game. Game is not even designed yet. Aside from that, doing literally anything moves us "closer" to the end because that's true of every project in history, so this statement is in fact inherently meaningless. Please notice we speak neckbeard fluently - we said "actually" right before lying, making it sound like we're educating you, instead of feeding you a load of poo poo, which we are.

Chris will show you. This Friday, he’ll show everyone. “You are :wrong:!”

Zaphod42 posted:

Nobody thinks Sandi is nafarious. Dunno where that came from.

We think Sandi is incompetent. Completely different. She doesn't even know there IS a cap.

I meant on the subreddit there are some who are shocked, shocked that this change took place to usher a formerly perfectly balanced and equitable Verse into the Pay2Win zone. And in looking for whom to blame for this evil development, they can’t pick Chris because “Chris would never do that to us!” So it must be :sandance:.

Given the official PR reply, methinks theyre blaming the wrong Roberts...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

Chris wrote this and it is good for Star Citizen.

CMDR Cotic posted:

The CEO said very early on that there would be no P2W and now they’re like, “hurr durr what is P2W anyway?”

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/ShrimpsyKate/status/1024231138733293569

Procedural watermelons are in :toot:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

$70 missiles that have been so loving broken for 3 years using them is akin to dishonored ronin using flintlock pistols instead of katana

Yeah but think of all the bespoke ways they can explode...

G0RF posted:

Crewe explains missile issues that resist their attempts to correct. (It seems nearly everything can break missile behavior, including planets.)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

MASSIVELYOP: Official RSI Statement on Cap Removal

Update: Cloud Imperium has released a lengthy statement about the rationale behind the cap removal. “With the implementation of in-game kiosks and additional in-game shopping options, we removed the ability to buy in-game items with UEC on our website (via a section of our online store that was called Voyager Direct) and moved all UEC transactions directly into the game,” CIG told us. “That’s actually a pretty big milestone and brings us closer to the final game – where you earn UEC to buy in-game items, etc.”

:chanpop:

And on pay-to-win concerns, here’s what the company has to say:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

It works for so many things!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pixelate posted:

Yeah but think of all the bespoke ways they can explode...

"so, all the quirks we have with the IFCS system..."

Those are bugs, dude. Bugs. Bad design and mistakes. Not quirks.

These guys think they're Microsoft and can pull the 'its a feature!' bs :cheeky:

"We know there's problems. Looking for ways to fix it..." lmao

AtmaTheWanderer
Nov 6, 2003
FFXI Mithra Mangina
Pillbug

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Buying UEC is P2W" bullshit that's going on in the Star Citizen subreddit right now. Star Citizen deserves much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine Spaceship in Port Olisar for 250,000,000 UEC (that's about $12,500) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can blow up Bengal Carriers with my Spaceship.
CIG developers spend years working on a single Spaceship and refactor it up to a dozen times to produce the finest Spaceships known to mankind.
Star Citizen Spaceships are thrice as detailed as Elite: Dangerous Spaceships and thrice as expensive, too. Anything an E:D Spaceship can do, a Star Citizen Spaceship can do better. I'm pretty sure a Star Citizen ship could easily conquer all of E:D with a simple flyby.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Colostomy Bag posted:

Remove halo. Bring back grid girls.

Please send this quote back to my young self.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Foo Diddley posted:

What I never understood about Store Citizer is, how the gently caress do you spend that much money on a video game that you can't even play

Like, I think spending sixty bux on a working, finished, playable game is a bit excessive. I have to think about it for a bit before I hit that "buy" button. But there are people who have spent thousands on this poo poo

What. The gently caress

Literally people who equate self worth and belonging with how much money they spend. CR just got the video game version of this particular sect of people.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

MASSIVELYOP: Official RSI Statement on Cap Removal

Update: Cloud Imperium has released a lengthy statement about the rationale behind the cap removal. “With the implementation of in-game kiosks and additional in-game shopping options, we removed the ability to buy in-game items with UEC on our website (via a section of our online store that was called Voyager Direct) and moved all UEC transactions directly into the game,” CIG told us. “That’s actually a pretty big milestone and brings us closer to the final game – where you earn UEC to buy in-game items, etc.”

:chanpop:

And on pay-to-win concerns, here’s what the company has to say:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Literally people who equate self worth and belonging with how much money they spend. CR just got the video game version of this particular sect of people.

Yeah to be fair, truly wealthy people spend far more on far less all the time. Status symbols are stupid.

Also our economy is dumb.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sillybones posted:

Please send this quote back to my young self.

Yeah, too late for that. Once those are done they are done.

Moto GP is the only way to go.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, too late for that. Once those are done they are done.

Moto GP is the only way to go.

I paid for motogp tickets and it was awful.

rally and rallycross is where its at for entertaining races.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah to be fair, truly wealthy people spend far more on far less all the time. Status symbols are stupid.

If your status symbol is 10K of Chris Roberts internet spaceships, your status is extra stupid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kosumo posted:

If your status symbol is 10K of Chris Roberts internet spaceships, your status is stupid.

Definitely. But is it more stupid than 10K of Kim Kardashian cellphone bullshit?

Weird world we live in.

Eat the rich.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

it'll happen to most backers, eventually

when the real crazy ones turn, it's going to be hilarious when they show up here and have brenden levels of meltdowns

They don't have the mad skillz that my boy brensan has. I wish he stopped watching Teen Mom for a while so that he could come back.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The only acceptable status symbol is pineapple on your pizza. :smug:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Just an idea for the people who want to refund, pretend you can't speak English well and that you didn't understand what you were pledging for. Sandi said they'd refund you in that case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99klyzqPOLQ&t=1199s

youtube transcript posted:

we get genuine ones which we which we will refund say somebody to completely misunderstood and we and we and we can appreciate that it's an international game and some people are they don't speak English that well right so but they're usually like 30 or $40 pledges um it's the ones that I mean it's like they buy a lot of things in Spanish I guess more than they can afford

Worst case scenario their customer service gets a bunch of fake broken english e-mails for a few weeks :laugh:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The Titanic posted:

that is just so incredibly depressing

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The linked video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyIgFOmYPyY

The linked video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ZZPwMcjq8

:laffo:

Store Citizer: like if someone took launch day NMS and made it even more boring

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

trucutru posted:

They don't have the mad skillz that my boy brensan has. I wish he stopped watching Teen Mom for a while so that he could come back.

I think you mean Branston.

But it would be good to see every second post being some variant of "Suck My oval office".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Virtual Captain posted:

Just an idea for the people who want to refund, pretend you can't speak English well and that you didn't understand what you were pledging for. Sandi said they'd refund you in that case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99klyzqPOLQ&t=1199s

Worst case scenario their customer service gets a bunch of fake broken english e-mails for a few weeks :laugh:

Uggggggh I absolutely cannot stand that Dr Hawk guy. He's an unbelievable sycophant for SC, and he sounds like a grown up version of butt-head.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Deekay and Bree at the MVPs of MOP.

Also

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Well, one out of six isn't bad I guess. :shrug:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Zaphod42 posted:

Truly wealthy are smart, if its a liability they lease, otherwise they make drat sure what they own will have value. These guys aren't even buying liabilities they are buying hopes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

G0RF posted:

Deekay and Bree at the MVPs of MOP.

Also

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Satus frictione!

my hovercraft is full of eels Romani, domi fricabis!

let us go home bouncy bouncy Venite fricabis

we shall rub fricare sumus

let the rubbing commence tum utendum sit inchoare

begin the rubbing! nulla exulceratio incipiam!

my nipples explode with delight! et multa frictione opus erat

much rubbing was had multa frictione uti dictum erat

they will have been rubbed et illi inter se diutius fricta

we will have had been rubbing erimus enim fuerat in frictione praesidium

hello sailor scimus autem fricare

we saw you rub te vidimus fricare

you rub et fricare

you have beautiful thighs Credere non possum frictio levat, non!

star citizens rub themselves stellae sunt civium teras

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 2, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Xaerael posted:

We bought a beautiful hat for our cattes.

They don't like it.

This is cute. :3:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: Montoya: Star Citizen drops limit on UEC purchases

quote:

There is no longer a cap on how much UEC you can buy, just a daily limit. Is this the death of the non-existent economy or just an overreaction?

Montoya in comments[/quote posted:

Couple of points

1) Plenty of people who were hoarding UEC bypassed the cap easily by buying things from the Voyager Direct store.

2) Eve Online has had an open and very successful in-game currency for well over a decade, it works there, can it not work here?

3) We are not all starting with an Aurora, some people will have big ships, some will have small ships. People starting the game with big wallets may have a short term advantage, but that is all!

YOUTUBE: REDACTED — REDACTED | UEC UNCAPPED

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 2, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Wise Learned Man posted:

Well, one out of six isn't bad I guess. :shrug:

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/#Online_or_Offline
https://starcitizentracker.github.io/#Modable_multiplayer
https://starcitizentracker.github.io/#No_Subscriptions
https://starcitizentracker.github.io/#Pay_to_win

/u/Bootcha posted:

The difference between us, the malcontents, and you, the true believers, is that we hear a lot more than you do. Not just from Derek Smart, but from CIG employees past and present as well as other industry veterans. We fact check, we deliberate, we shitpost, we have our own wish fulfillment and we have our own personal disappointments. But one theme always remains clear: There is always more, and it is always worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

It's really just a shame that no one was wise enough to see all this coming in call it. :ughh: