Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Historically it absolutely isnt, but as a thing people believe now a days to avoid confronting Jesus message on wealth it 100% is.

My ex's born again Southern Baptist father said that once, the "camel through a smallish door" version. He had only converted a few years before that, and I'm willing to bet whoever was converting/teaching him mentioned that at some point. He was a lawyer for a Fortune 500 company, so I'm sure that sort of interpretation made it easier to become a Christian, since he wouldn't have to feel guilty about being a rich rear end in a top hat.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Most people don't believe in religion anyway, they only spout this stuff because it's what's socially acceptable and they fear being shunned from their network if they reveal the truth. They also think that following the fundie train makes them seem like moral, honorable people.

It's bullshit. It's all bullshit. Civilization is rotting.

Is there a term other than virtue signaling for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Skeleton King posted:

ever make enough money that people will start to use you if they knew? lol... probably not

they're talking about your coworkers, not shouting at a homeless person "I MAKE A DEECE SIX FIGGIES"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Skeleton King posted:

ever make enough money that people will start to use you if they knew? lol... probably not

Ever have enough of a backbone to not let people use you? lol... probably not

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Christianity is a loving joke and I don't care if that makes me sound like an edgy kid on Reddit. It sucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Araenna posted:

Is there a term other than virtue signaling for this?

Salvation through grace alone

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Elderbean posted:

Christianity is a loving joke and I don't care if that makes me sound like an edgy kid on Reddit. It sucks.

^^satan

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Satan was the good guy the whole time!

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ever have enough of a backbone to not let people use you? lol... probably not

its never that obvious lol...

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Inept posted:

they're talking about your coworkers, not shouting at a homeless person "I MAKE A DEECE SIX FIGGIES"

yeah i reread the post and it wasnt making a distinction so youre right lol...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elderbean posted:

Eh depends on the flavor. In America we went whole hog on the prosperity gospel and Calvinism. The stuff that Jesus actually taught is rad as hell but the summary is basically "dont be a greedy rear end in a top hat."

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have relatives on the East Coast that are heavily involved in a local Baptist church. This church is a in a town/state that voted, almost unanimously, for Trump. Imagine their shock a year later when ICE arrests and deports a 20 year elder/deacon of the church and they all wonder why this could happen to such a good person.

This American Life podcast did a segment on some big AM radio conservative talk show host, who was also a minister, met with Ted Cruz in private and agreed that this would be "their" candidate and he'd get all his listeners to vote for him. So as he's promoting Cruz his listeners revolt against him and start shilling for Trump. Some listeners were citing really odd, obscure Bible passages that made them think that Trump was some kind of, magic oogie boogie whatever, who would triumph over the homersexuals or something.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh depends on the flavor. In America we went whole hog on the prosperity gospel and Calvinism. The stuff that Jesus actually taught is rad as hell but the summary is basically "dont be a greedy rear end in a top hat."

I mean, there's also the religious/spiritual/symbolic context that the Christian gospels came from, it can be pretty rich if you spend time in it, really dig in. I say this as a sometime-member of the Christian Reformed Church (a staunchly Calvinist church with an identity crisis), and Calvinism focuses so much on the dry poo poo, the catechisms, the long-rear end texts written by stodgy old virgins it's no wonder it's lavished with cynicism and derision.

There's a lot to be said for exploring the mysticism of Eastern and Orthodox (hell, even Roman Catholic) practices - I think the Reformation let empiricism eclipse the mystic to the detriment of the Christian soul.

But that's just me, maybe it's better to just be an edgelord and ignore it all because a bunch of fat american fucks are loving around and bein' all fucky with it. :shrug:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Elderbean posted:

I wouldn't say you sound like an edgy kid, sounds like you've got a real strong opinion about some stuff. No disrespect from me - though I'd say it's too simplistic to bundle all that history, religion, literature, and mystery into one label and throw it out the window. This life is full of grey shades, and to make something so black and white probably means you're not seeing the whole picture.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

wait gently caress what thread is this this isn't religion 101
eat the rich

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

another big recession.

Well I'm sure this won't happen any time soon and the totally healthy and sustainable explosive exponential growth we're currently going through will just continue forever.

Bonzo posted:

I have relatives on the East Coast that are heavily involved in a local Baptist church. This church is a in a town/state that voted, almost unanimously, for Trump. Imagine their shock a year later when ICE arrests and deports a 20 year elder/deacon of the church and they all wonder why this could happen to such a good person.

Lol that's not what they thought, they thought "How did we not know a criminal illegal immigrant was right under our nose this whole time! He seemed so nice, too... Just goes to show you how sly they are!"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually aside from Paul's letters, Paul being the guy who was hunting down Christians and never actually met Jesus, there wasn't a whole lot to Christianity other than 'I'm the messiah of the Jewish people as foretold by Daniel. Here's all the ways I fulfill his prophecies despite being the son of a carpenter from Nazareth. Go give all your poo poo away and follow me and my band of fishermen prostitutes and homeless people'. He was a typical cult leader and also kinda didn't like gentiles.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

ate all the Oreos posted:

Well I'm sure this won't happen any time soon and the totally healthy and sustainable explosive exponential growth we're currently going through will just continue forever.

Going through life constantly wondering if you and your family have saved enough resources to survive the Next Recession is a bunch of bullshit.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

EvilJoven posted:

Actually aside from Paul's letters, Paul being the guy who was hunting down Christians and never actually met Jesus, there wasn't a whole lot to Christianity other than 'I'm the messiah of the Jewish people as foretold by Daniel. Here's all the ways I fulfill his prophecies despite being the son of a carpenter from Nazareth. Go give all your poo poo away and follow me and my band of fishermen prostitutes and homeless people'. He was a typical cult leader and also kinda didn't like gentiles.

I hate to admit you're pretty accurate overall. To be fair though, who does like gentiles?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You're channeling my chud boss right now. We're looking at a decade of prosperity at least. This is the new 1950s.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lol that's not what they thought, they thought "How did we not know a criminal illegal immigrant was right under our nose this whole time! He seemed so nice, too... Just goes to show you how sly they are!"

the next one will be rougher than 2007/2008. There's more bubbles all about to pop simultaneously kind of propping each other up a little bit and we have an administration whose response to it all (assuming it happens in the next 2-6 years) will likely be "LOL GET hosed"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I work at a warehouse storing chemicals for other companies and then shipping them later. The company whose account I handle sent us our quarterly report card yesterday (first since I took over the desk) and we are meeting expectations. But there's literally no reason to do better. We could have a quarter where everything is perfect and do above expectations and it means nothing beyond that card. No bonus in it for me or even complements from my management because they're the kind to not say anything to you until you've hosed up.

And they wonder why I don't seem to enjoy being at work. Seriously. My employee review was "you do great at your job but why don't you ever look happy to be here?"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Can't people just learn that without having to believe in skygods and hellfire

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

I wouldn't say you sound like an edgy kid, sounds like you've got a real strong opinion about some stuff. No disrespect from me - though I'd say it's too simplistic to bundle all that history, religion, literature, and mystery into one label and throw it out the window. This life is full of grey shades, and to make something so black and white probably means you're not seeing the whole picture.

Nah, the whole Christian mythology and belief system of a loving and all-powerful God has consistently fed into just-world syndrome throughout its history. It's completely at odds with the message and worldview it's supposed to teach in the New Testament. Can't really even blame a bunch medieval simpletons for just throwing their hands in the air and going gently caress it, divine providence it is.

Narratively very dysfunctional religion - 2.5/5 stars.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Len posted:

I work at a warehouse storing chemicals for other companies and then shipping them later. The company whose account I handle sent us our quarterly report card yesterday (first since I took over the desk) and we are meeting expectations. But there's literally no reason to do better. We could have a quarter where everything is perfect and do above expectations and it means nothing beyond that card. No bonus in it for me or even complements from my management because they're the kind to not say anything to you until you've hosed up.

And they wonder why I don't seem to enjoy being at work. Seriously. My employee review was "you do great at your job but why don't you ever look happy to be here?"
usually the girls grin wide and stick their tongue out when the load is about to hit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

well, the execs would see their stocks go up so there's that!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

well, the execs would see their stocks go up so there's that!

Yeah but how does that effect me? Us hourly slaves (and from what I hear first tier salaried management) only just started to get a bonus. And it's only because of The Savings from that new tax plan they made last year.

You have to work there 5 years to see a whole $100.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

Yeah but how does that effect me? Us hourly slaves (and from what I hear first tier salaried management) only just started to get a bonus. And it's only because of The Savings from that new tax plan they made last year.

You have to work there 5 years to see a whole $100.

it doesn't that's the joke

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

it doesn't that's the joke

I know I just wanted to gripe about the "bonus" system

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Edit: don't know why it's so blurry but the custom license plate is "HODL"

SHAQ4PREZ has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Aug 1, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

I know I just wanted to gripe about the "bonus" system

There should be democracy in the work place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

There should be democracy in the work place.

That sounds treasonous comrade.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Well that's not necessarily a bad thing if the UBI amount is at least equal to the amount of benefits people get. I'd expect a real UBI to at least be able to pay for housing, food, and healthcare. It's more efficient to just give people cash than dole it out for specific earmarked purposes. Turns out most people just go buy stuff they need and pay bills and don't immediately go to Vegas and blow it all on red.

Yes it is loving bad because the government can offer these services efficiently without worrying about making a profit. If you get rid of social services and just give UBI to everyone you just turned every single social service into the American healthcare industry. Prices will go up, people won't be able to afford basic poo poo and 10 years later they'll start gutting the UBI too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elman posted:

Yes it is loving bad because the government can offer these services efficiently without worrying about making a profit. If you get rid of social services and just give UBI to everyone you just turned every single social service into the American healthcare industry. Prices will go up, people won't be able to afford basic poo poo and 10 years later they'll start gutting the UBI too.

Well that's just an argument demonstrating the general futility of reform without changing the underlying system which will then dismantle said reform.

Welfare already basically works like that - SNAP just gives you money every month to spend as you like on food with various restrictions, SSI just cuts you a check (afaik?), unemployment has long since been privatized to hell, and then obv the healthcare stuff is just the same fuckery with the gov't cutting a check to cover it.

If you're meaning inflation will cause prices to rise that much then I don't think so unless the Fed is running the program like a bunch of Pakleds. Presumably you'd tie any kind of UBI to cost of living adjustments right at the onset.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
UBI cannot be an "instead of" it must be an "in addition to"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Life long farmer: hey, I'm really hungry hey, where'd you get that food..? ...how does anyone do this?
This is what happened to farmers during the great depression. Lots of farmers lost their farms because there was too much food (in spite of propaganda you might have heard about the dust bowl). There was so much food that to bring prices higher, FDR started paying farmers to destroy their livestock and crops. This occurred while food riots and mass hunger permeated the country.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Bloop posted:

UBI cannot be an "instead of" it must be an "in addition to"

That's fine but that's not what they're going to do if they institute UBI. It's marketed as a replacement to entitlement programs afaik.

As I said I don't think it's going to work that well. It'd work better if you already had nationalized healthcare ofc because yeah you immediately run into problems of "well we're still not at an equal footing because everyone gets $5k a month (or whatever) but some people have medical bills of $8k a month" - but that's just one facet of it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

"Hey everyone, I made an app I'm calling [insert techbro name that's basically a common word with a vowel removed], it lets you get around all that pesky government red tape and join the gig economy by doing [insert task that used to earn a person at least a meager living wage but over the years has been whittled away to working poverty wages] without all the regulations!"

"But those regulations are things like our labour laws, which were implemented because we were like 6 months away from a complete workers revolt in the western world because poo poo sucked so bad..."

"But now we have an app!"

*a bunch of loving morons applaud and start working*

"Oh gently caress we made a terrible mistake and can barely make rent and have to work like 24/7 to afford a basic existence"
NPR gave a positive highlight to a startup hawking 'portable benefits packages' for the gig economy. This is a program intended to give health insurance and other benefits to workers through multiple jobs who have none because they are an uber driver or 'independent contractor' or working poor. This is what NPR will elevate as a solution to the healthcare problems of workers.

NPR consistently bashes medicare for all.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

comedyblissoption posted:

NPR gave a positive highlight to a startup hawking 'portable benefits packages' for the gig economy. This is a program intended to give health insurance and other benefits to workers through multiple jobs who have none because they are an uber driver or 'independent contractor' or working poor. This is what NPR will elevate as a solution to the healthcare problems of workers.

NPR consistently bashes medicare for all.

They are liberals and ultimately think there's some configuration of capitalism with a human face that will work if they only fiddle with it enough.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Elman posted:

If you get rid of social services and just give UBI to everyone you just turned every single social service into the American healthcare industry. Prices will go up, people won't be able to afford basic poo poo and 10 years later they'll start gutting the UBI too.
Yeah, the important thing to remember is that if you helicoptor dump money to people with no price controls, the people who control the prices will just capture all the money. This is commonly called "inflation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
thank god we have a single payer rent system here in the US and single payer food supply otherwise rent and food prices would be out of control