Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stretching those scale differences to the utmost, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It's for the new Epic game mode and is the biggest model FFG has ever made

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, uh, Armada Folks, y'all are getting a super star destroyer

I need some kind of info on this.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Cobbsprite posted:

I need some kind of info on this.

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1024798260148486146

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

That thing is a monster. 22 hull, 2 each of its defense tokens, and what looks like it could be spots for 3 officers. That means either it has a defense retrofit, or minister Tua gets stapled to the thing.

With it being legal to use in a 400 point match, I really hope that FFG erred on the high side for its point cost. Taking out a single ISD in a two ISD list can be hard enough, and this looks to have twice the health of an ISD.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

gently caress ... I don't even play Armada anymore, I just like looking at the pretty ship models ... but I know I'm getting it. Even at the $200 price point, I'm going to end up getting it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Give the people what they want... I guess?

What next, the death star?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Once they make the Death Star, my dream of a to-scale game of Rebellion can finally happen

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Interdictor is at 1:7100 scale in Armada. Death Star at that scale would be 21 meters in diameter

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Cobbsprite posted:

gently caress ... I don't even play Armada anymore, I just like looking at the pretty ship models ... but I know I'm getting it. Even at the $200 price point, I'm going to end up getting it.

I might do the same.

In a few years when it's on sale.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've seen children smaller than that thing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Bah. All it'll takes to destroy it is a A Wing squadron at range <1.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Here are some pictures from GenCon on Facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156612317356972&id=768226971&set=gm.1976211529098075

It has 6 shields up front, 3 shields on each side arc, and 2 shields at rear for a total of 20 shields.

This particular version has the following attack dice:
Front: 5 red, 4 blue
Forward Side: 3 red, 2 blue, 1 black
Rear Side: 2 red, 2 blue, 1 black
Rear: 1 red, 1 blue, 1 black
Anti-Squadron: 1 blue, 1 black

That is going to be a bastard to take out. It might actually make Advanced Projectors a reasonable upgrade card, so you can throw the damage all over the place with a redirect. And a double arc providing 15 dice at medium range is going to be painful.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So they'll make an out of scale SSD for an epic game, but they won't make prequel ships or use them to give us a scum & villainy third faction. I want Venators, Acclamators, and CIS ships dagnabit :colbert:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 3, 2018

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

So they'll make an out of scale SSD for an epic game, but they won't make prequel ships or use them to give us a scum & villainy third faction. I want Venators, Acclamators, and CIS ships dagnabit :colbert:

That seems a lot more possible than it did yesterday.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Likely, even! Probably another year or two of releases to be had there.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Scuttlebutt from GenCon is that Clone Wars ships are currently in thr works for thr next wave.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I wonder if they have the rights to TOR era stuff, because I'd love to see Harrowers.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 3, 2018

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Lake Jucas posted:

Scuttlebutt from GenCon is that Clone Wars ships are currently in thr works for thr next wave.

We already have the Victory and Arquitens classes :colbert:

edit: I'm mulling over putting a minimarket preorder in for the SSD just for the 20% off, but goddamn 200 bucks for palpatine is rich. I thought it was bad in x-wing!!

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 4, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lake Jucas posted:

They'd better! All the strike craft too!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is a beast, look at that puny ISD next to it

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 5, 2018

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

For EPICLOLZ, put a half-dozen Imperial Raider ships around it. Possibly on the base.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cobbsprite posted:

For EPICLOLZ, put a half-dozen Imperial Raider ships around it. Possibly on the base.

Player can't target what player can't see.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

drunkill posted:

It is a beast, look at that puny ISD next to it

The In Flight Report reveal actually failed to sell the size to me. And I thought it was ridiculous then!

I look forward to seeing how foam case manufacturers tackle that.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Ugleb posted:

The In Flight Report reveal actually failed to sell the size to me. And I thought it was ridiculous then!

I look forward to seeing how foam case manufacturers tackle that.

They won't. You have to set a hyperspace beacon from your gaming location, and the SSD will jump in at lightspeed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Next year worlds champs will have competitive javelin throwing

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm reasonably certain the ISD is too long to fit into full size a KR case, even diagonally

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Cobbsprite posted:

They won't. You have to set a hyperspace beacon from your gaming location, and the SSD will jump in at lightspeed.

Ride it like Dr Strangelove. Yee haw!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cobbsprite posted:

I heard jumping in too close was a good way for someone to choke you, though. Be careful!

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Icon Of Sin posted:

I heard jumping in too close was a good way for someone to choke you, though. Be careful!

I thought surprise was wiser...

Thinking practically, I can’t imagine a ship that size will be a lot of fun to fly—there are only so many options you’ll have without flying off the board. Maybe it’ll be more about prioritizing different weapons or something.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

If the SSD is even remotely viable in a list, it will likely affect the meta by just being something you have to plan for. It is like taking the double ISD list, and turning it up to 11 in terms of damage tanking. It’s big enough, that after a turn or two of moving, it will have almost the entire board in range to shoot. So hiding from it, or swinging around to the rear of it will be harder. Lists will have to make sure they have a way to deal large amounts of damage, or the ability to harvest lots of objective points.

On the plus side, Arquitens and H1 MC80s will have a much easier chance of double side arcing the same ship. Rebel players will get to live the dream of the Ackbar Home One without needing Advanced Gunnery.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
Jabba's Realm for the Imperial Assault Legends of the Alliance coop app has been released

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/8/the-realm-of-the-crime-lord/

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
I collect both sides of Armada to allow my friends to come together and play. I have two of every Wave 1 ship and looking to expand with an Imperial Star Destroyer and either the Home One, Liberty, or Profundity. Maybe the Rogues and Villains squadron pack as well.

Any good summaries on the differences between the three large Rebel ships?

Also, is anyone out there looking to sell their Armada collection?

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
I can write something a bit more later, but I'm just popping in to let you know I saw Amazon had the Imperial Star Destroyer $20 off a few days ago. Probably a good idea to pull the trigger now on it.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
https://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com has some good write-ups on all the different ships. The articles on tactics are quite good. They can get you on the right track as well.

Are you in Europe or the us? I might part with some ships.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

Lake Jucas posted:

I can write something a bit more later, but I'm just popping in to let you know I saw Amazon had the Imperial Star Destroyer $20 off a few days ago. Probably a good idea to pull the trigger now on it.

Yes, thank you! I was able to pick up the Imperial Star Destroyer.

Looks like Miniature Market also has reasonable discounts on stuff. Any other retailers I should look out for while expanding my collection?

Wowshawk posted:

Are you in Europe or the us? I might part with some ships.

US!

Hackjack fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 13, 2018

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Europe. drat. I think shipping'll rule that out :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Book Depository occasionally has good deals on Armada stuff.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Has anyone played any of the Armada campaign game, the Corellian sector one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Madurai posted:

Has anyone played any of the Armada campaign game, the Corellian sector one?

I played a slightly house ruled version to accommodate teams of 4.

It was interesting, but we got about 3 rounds in before everyone kinda lost interest. A couple of things led to this.

1. If you start with a questionable list, it can be really hard to fix it. You are spending a large portion of your points repairing, while your opponent is spending points expanding his fleet.

2.The special objectives are not balanced very well. I did not play either of the resource generating missions, but they were reported to be balanced against the Imperials. Also, the planetary Ion cannon defense mission is hands down the best for the defender to pick. The objective tokens don’t get removed when they “shoot”, so you can put a pretty nasty overlapping minefield between the fleets. So ultimately it is very hard to dislodge someone from a system with a base.

I heard reports from the group at my FLGS, that some people joined Corelian Conflict matches at other stores in the area, but they generally fizzled out before completion.

All that said, I think the campaign would work fine if played a little loose amongst a group of friends. Be a little free with the refit points, or let someone wholesale swap out a fleet that wasn’t working. Amongst a group of quasi-strangers looking to win, it can fall apart.

Either way, the kit is worth buying if you play regularly and have some of the Rebel or Imperial 1 squadron packs. The aces and unique squadrons in it are all pretty good. And the new objectives help to give a bit more choice when building a fleet.