Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not saying they aren't shipping dangerous damaged batteries in their cars, I'm just saying there exists a possible innocuous explanation for the events seen by the "whistleblower".

Holding Tesla to a higher standard is fine, but holding them to a stupid standard is not. If the damage to the batteries was repairable to like-new status then they shouldn't be discarded.

Tesla's most functional autopilot is completely based on a system that was available and in fact shipped on many other manufactures cars and Tesla was the only company reckless enough to let it drive the cars while the designer of the system was screaming at them to stop. That system has now killed multiple people.

So yeah, you shouldn't trust them not to do something dangerous and stupid in a sealed system that you can't look in when they do it right in the open already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Tesla's most functional autopilot is completely based on a system that was available and in fact shipped on many other manufactures cars and Tesla was the only company reckless enough to let it drive the cars while the designer of the system was screaming at them to stop. That system has now killed multiple people.

So yeah, you shouldn't trust them not to do something dangerous and stupid in a sealed system that you can't look in when they do it right in the open already.

We still trust VW and everyone else to not be fudging emissions tests. We still drive cars with Takata airbags.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Basically, yes, this looks bad. But both sides in this case look pretty loony. I'm not going to assume either innocence or guilt until I have more information.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

We still trust VW and everyone else to not be fudging emissions tests. We still drive cars with Takata airbags.

....what? No, VWs firmware has been reviewed and their newer vehicles are being heavily scrutinized by third parties. They got caught and are still under the microscope

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe Musk wouldn't have to respond to the accusation if they didn't have a history of building shoddy cars and being dicks to past/present employees.

Also, maybe Musk should just shut the gently caress up about pretty much everything because he's so disconnected from reality, he might as well be in his space car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Y'all act like a few uneven panel gaps on initial/early cars is the end of the world. And unique to Tesla at that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-stock-rises-after-car-maker-reports-wider-quarterly-loss-but-beats-on-revenue-2018-08-01

4B revenue (up on expectations)

Adj loss 520 million (Also up on expectations)

CapEx coming down - should end up 1B down on 2017

Projected profit in Q3/Q4 due to Model 3 sales (They are selling what they build so about 55,000, aiming for 6000 a week late August)

Target of 100,000 S/X model deliverys looking good.

Doesn't look like Tesla are going broke just yet after all

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-results/tesla-expects-to-hit-more-than-6000-week-model-3-production-rate-idUSKBN1KM62S

quote:

Tesla ended the second quarter with $2.78 billion in cash after spending $610 million in quarterly capital expenses. It had ended the first quarter with $3.2 billion in cash after spending $656 million in capital expenses.

And from here on the capital ex keep coming down and the deliveries ramp up so yes, quite believable they go cash flow positive next quarter. LOL the short sellers have going to be hosed :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 1, 2018

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I am not shocked if they are puncturing a highly reactive rare earth metal battery pack

Oh you. ;)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-stock-rises-after-car-maker-reports-wider-quarterly-loss-but-beats-on-revenue-2018-08-01

4B revenue (up on expectations) -Wow

Adj loss 520 million (Also up on expectations) - Double Wow, this was supposed to be 700+ Good job uncle Elon

Doesn't look like Tesla are going broke just yet after all

TSLA up %5 in afterhours.

Almost conference call time :munch:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

spandexcajun posted:

Oh you. ;)

TSLA up %5 in afterhours.

Almost conference call time :munch:

Hopefully Elon can avoid foot in mouth disease.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Soooooo is there a direct or inverse relationship to Tesla’s perceived performance and the rating of this thread/stupidity levels within the thread itself

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Just saying, this isn’t the Tesla thread and if you wanna dig deep into that subject there’s a CSPAM thread all about Tesla.

e: this is the EV thread where Tesla cars and technology are obviously worth discussing. Ranting about Elon...

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

DNK posted:

Just saying, this isn’t the Tesla thread and if you wanna dig deep into that subject there’s a CSPAM thread all about Tesla.

e: this is the EV thread where Tesla cars and technology are obviously worth discussing. Ranting about Elon...

Totally with you- I posted a few months ago with much the same. Tesla just dominates the news in this world right now, for better or for worse.

I myself am excited for VW and Honda moves in the EV sphere, and I’m super pumped to see more than just concepts on what they’re coming up with.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm sure the thread will talk about non-tesla EVs when a non-Tesla manufacturer makes an EV worthy of being talked about.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I'm sure the thread will talk about non-tesla EVs when a non-Tesla manufacturer makes an EV worthy of being talked about.

They already have imo. Now we just need the mature charging infrastructure to support them. What's everyone's experience with non Tesla fast chargers?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My single Chademo experience was fine. Clunkier than a super charger, but it had to handle payment so that’s to be expected.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, which is why there needs to be an audit by an external company of the Model 3 production processes.
Who should fund this audit?
I mean if it found Tesla innocent of the alleged wrongdoing this one engineer making the accusations sure isn't going to pay for it, and making Tesla pay to investigate themself if they turn out to be innocent would be some bullshit.
Having Tesla be on the hook for the investigation and cleanup costs if they're in the wrong would be fine, but it would be super exploitable if the standard is that companies have to pay for audits of themselves any time someone accuses them of wrongdoing and they deny it regardless of the outcome.
(BMW deliberately makes 5% of their engines out of cheese, prove me wrong.)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Subjunctive posted:

My single Chademo experience was fine. Clunkier than a super charger, but it had to handle payment so that’s to be expected.

I've taken several semi - long trips in my leaf, and the experience would have been greatly improved by card readers for debit /credit cards on the charging stations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't have a car that does CCS or chademo, but looking on plugshare it seems like most of the places around me are car dealerships and/or only have a single plug. Is that the case generally? Do you ever have to wait on someone to finish?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Subjunctive posted:

Used a (CCS? Whatever isnt ChaDeMo) at an Ikea before we got the home charger. Took us near 20 minutes because we didn't have the app and the location was underground so no signal.
Came out to like $3 and we were near 3/4 full when all done.

Those shits just need a slot to swipe a loving card.

There's also Volta chargers at Malls which are free and feel loving amazing when you snag one.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Try the ez-charge app if you want to see chademo availability. It's a Nissan thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if any other company was accused of same they would have the paper trail to prove it and would probably at minimum conduct an internal audit - tesla's persecution complex makes them look suspicious at times and it's not really benefiting them in any way

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Used a (CCS? Whatever isnt ChaDeMo) at an Ikea before we got the home charger. Took us near 20 minutes because we didn't have the app and the location was underground so no signal.
Came out to like $3 and we were near 3/4 full when all done.

Those shits just need a slot to swipe a loving card.

In Norway we have a pretty good network of quick chargers (at least ChaDeMo and CCS) run by two companies. As a member of the norwegian electric car owners organization I got a rfid fob that I've registered with both companies, and can now just touch to the chargers to start them. Works pretty smoothly. I do a long trip (~200 miles each way) with my Kia Soul about once a month and I can usually pass one or more points without stopping if I can't be bothered.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Tesla now boosted the price of most model 3 paint colors to $1500. White and Red are now $2000. Keep in mind these were all $1000 when ordering was first opened. Black is still a "free" color. Thinking now of going with black when SR comes out and spending the "saved" money on ceramic paint coating instead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
As someone who has had a couple of black cars I'd definitely pay $1500 to get some other colour

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

dissss posted:

As someone who has had a couple of black cars I'd definitely pay $1500 to get some other colour

i love almost everything about my volt, but black is one of the regrets

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
What's wrong with black? This is a question, not a challenge, I've never had a black car.
Gets hot? Looks dirty? Hard to find in a parking lot?

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Pretty interesting video on battery tech used in the EV world, pouch vs cell - different battery chemistries etc...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGFiaWvD-KI

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

roomforthetuna posted:

What's wrong with black? This is a question, not a challenge, I've never had a black car.

They get extremely hot. They also show dirt like crazy. And scratches. And dents. And imperfect wax jobs. And everything else.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

shadowzero313 posted:

i love almost everything about my volt, but black is one of the regrets

No regrets about getting the Blue Volt.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
The only regret I have about buying my Roadster is choosing black. Looks amazing for about an hour after being washed though! Getting it wrapped next week!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Deathreaper posted:

Pretty interesting video on battery tech used in the EV world, pouch vs cell - different battery chemistries etc...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGFiaWvD-KI

This is dumb, Tesla doesn't make their batteries, Panasonic does using own IP in a Tesla factory. And Tesla's cells are standardized, the reason everyone else isn't using them is not because they haven't considered other models of cars or can't match the energy density or have no plans for fixed storage products, it's because Tesla committed a shitload of money to having Panasonic make a shitload of cylindrical cells when objectively better technology came out but not so much better that Tesla could be justified in junking the investment they already made.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

Keeping any car clean is a chore.
Keeping a black car clean is a career.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

ilkhan posted:

Keeping any car clean is a chore.
Keeping a black car clean is a career.

Yeah. My current car is black and I have vowed never to purchase another one again in my life. It will be clean for all of 5 minutes after you wash it, and all of the other poo poo people have mentioned.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

Gets instantly too hot sitting in it. My black has a metallic flake that shows through the dust and scratches pretty well, and it's easy to find with the remote start AC. But I have to run that AC hard when the sun's out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Nobody wants to talk about the $tsla news today?

Trading currently suspended at $367. e: back open. /e:

Was announced/confirmed that over the last few months the Saudi public investment fund has purchased 3-5% of Tesla on the public market, after Tesla turned them down on an equity purchase.

Elon tweeted, and has followed up with several other tweets, that he has been considering, and has the funding for, taking the company private again at $420/share.

Also shorts have another billion (+/-) in unrealized losses for the day, and if taking the company private goes through they'll be completely hosed.

In other news, another batch of several thousand model 3 VINs were registered, hundreds of additional model 3s were delivered, and the vast majority of new owners are exceedingly satisfied with their purchase.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 7, 2018

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How would it work? Presumably Musk or someone else would have to buy out all the other shareholders - but he says he'd preserve current shareholders' stakes, which sounds like taking the company private would require some kind of vote? Obviously there's another mechanism I'm not getting..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

In other news, another batch of several thousand model 3 VINs were registered, hundreds of additional model 3s were delivered, and the vast majority of new owners are exceedingly satisfied with their purchase.

Nice cheerleading.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Surely there's a stock market thread somewhere.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Surely there's a stock market thread somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He's just gotta do it before the end of the next quarter so his cooked books don't become public record and he can just bury all the defective model 3s in the desert and call them shipped and then take off to mars with all the money :tinfoil:

• Locked thread