Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't played Earthdawn in an eternity, but I'm very high on the "everyone is magical stop whining about fighters being able to do things" aspect. I never played it enough to get a handle on its actual strengths and weaknesses in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Libluini posted:

Recently I remembered I have the rulebook to Earthdawn 2nd Edition lying around somewhere.

Are people still playing this weird Elf game where the heroes are sometimes tormented by horrors from a magic dimension?

And what is the current edition, if it still exists?
There was a kickstarter a few years ago for a 4th Edition, and releases have been trickling out. They have not, to my knowledge, lit the world on fire. It is a very niche game compared to what it was in the late 90's. My group were hardcore Earthdawn players before the release of D&D 3e.

Out of nostalgia, I got the 3rd Edition a while back, and found it was much crunchier than I had remembered. It did fix a lot of bad stuff from the earlier editions*, but left other parts unchanged. Like, it still has nearly-useless Talents costing the same amount as the ones that, say, let you hit things. And your do-cool-stuff points are still your level-up points. It's been on my shelf since, largely ignored; I'd be more inclined to just run 1e again, warts and all.

* Off the top of my head - d20's were removed from the Step table. d4's may have been, too - can't remember for sure. Karma got fixed to a d6, and most adepts could spend karma on at least one of their 'hitting stuff' rolls. I think Willforce was suitably neutered a bit.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mike Mearls, Supreme Leader of RPGs, has invented coin-flipping but sometimes it can zero out and, I guess, nothing happens?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

Mike Mearls, Supreme Leader of RPGs, has invented coin-flipping but sometimes it can zero out and, I guess, nothing happens?

Holy poo poo is he garbage.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

That Old Tree posted:

One of the many (many, many) funny things about Synnibarr is in the example of play section, where the GM, unable to come up a difficulty rating on the fly, decides to roll D100 for the difficulty and let the player then roll D100 to roll under it to succeed - a complicated bunch of steps which is mathematically identical to flipping a coin.

I wonder what other RPG innovations Mike Mearls can adapt from Raven c.s McCracken?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

That Old Tree posted:

But that's already a system!

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~rdeese/RPG/D02/D02.htm

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

dwarf74 posted:

There was a kickstarter a few years ago for a 4th Edition, and releases have been trickling out. They have not, to my knowledge, lit the world on fire. It is a very niche game compared to what it was in the late 90's. My group were hardcore Earthdawn players before the release of D&D 3e.

Out of nostalgia, I got the 3rd Edition a while back, and found it was much crunchier than I had remembered. It did fix a lot of bad stuff from the earlier editions*, but left other parts unchanged. Like, it still has nearly-useless Talents costing the same amount as the ones that, say, let you hit things. And your do-cool-stuff points are still your level-up points. It's been on my shelf since, largely ignored; I'd be more inclined to just run 1e again, warts and all.

* Off the top of my head - d20's were removed from the Step table. d4's may have been, too - can't remember for sure. Karma got fixed to a d6, and most adepts could spend karma on at least one of their 'hitting stuff' rolls. I think Willforce was suitably neutered a bit.

I have 4e and it's... decent. There's nothing earth-shattering about the revisions they made to 3e, though apparently they did improve most things they touched. Very little controversy, though there are always earlier edition partisans. They've advanced the timeline to post Theran conflict, and Iopos is revealed as a villain in the setting.

The form factor is annoying to me. It's the digest size, which I usually like, but not for a 300 page brick.

The Travar book is underwhelming. While it's a reasonably detailed take on the city and there are things to do at all levels of power, it just didn't grab me, which is a shame as I'd been considering a pbp campaign of it. Older stuff is more or less usable, though there might be some rejiggering needed, so I may just did out my Parlainth set and do something with that.

If folks have specific questions about 4e I'll happily provide what answers I can.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Just published my first nerd product under my own label: Banes

quote:

Every player knows that cold iron hurts fairies and zombies are weak to headshots. Weaknesses and vulnerabilities are classic parts of RPGs. But if you just use the most well-known weaknesses, the thrill of discovery is gone. Weakness becomes a matter of "Do I have fire? I use fire."

Changing up weaknesses makes things less predictable, but it's not enough if the only way to figure them out is random chance. Tease your players' brains by giving them clues to find the weaknesses. Make it into a puzzle that they and their characters can solve.

Banes is a system-agnostic book for adding weaknesses to monsters in an interesting way. Each of the main Banes has multiple "tells" for figuring out what's going to hurt the monster, descriptions of what that damage looks like, and a special effect for spicing up combat even more. Other sections inclue:

How a Bane should apply (both in terms of how, say, fire affects the creature and other sources of damage)
How to use more exotic or unique weaknesses, like the sword of the last king or unusual herbs from haunted graveyards
More exotic effects to change the course of battle, like loss of spellcasting
Turn your fights into a puzzle and give your players something to think about.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

There's a lot to criticize about the Forgotten Realms but the lack of things for players to do is not one of them.

FMguru posted:

It's a big, sprawling fantasy world full of monsters and weird magic and ancient prophecies coming true and mysteries and warring nations. You kind of have to struggle to not find something to do.

I'll absolutely cop to not being an expert on either, they're both deep settings with lots to explore. I speak only from my own experience, where I've found affecting the world as a player can be a struggle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If your GM is a lorefucker, any detailed setting can be onerous to play in as you just wind up watching Signature NPCs do things or worse, run errands for them while being constantly shown up by them. Fortunately, even when I played with a DM who was a big Realms fan he was never like that. We never met Elminster, thank God.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I run whatever glorantha system (probably heroquest) that won't be a problem because all my glorantha knowledge comes from kodp so all those NPCs have been dead for hundreds of years

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My players didn't encounter any setting super NPCs in my Glorantha game until the climax where they were basically Hero War demigods and could do stuff with them on equal terms.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
FR is a weird case, despite being a key prototypical packaged RPG setting, because of the sheer size of the franchise. For example, it has a bunch of novels that don't provide any grist for a good campaign, but that's not a problem. What is a problem is when that leaks into the actual game and large parts of sourcebooks are taken up with statting and discussing gods and epic-level NPCs. FR is one of few settings that has a separate sourcebook dedicated to its gods, and the others are indie intellectual ones like Tekumel and Glorantha. Faiths and Pantheons is interesting toilet reading but I can't imagine using any of the rules in a campaign.

But it's absolutely built around PCs doing stuff in it, and places for them to explore--Waterdeep is a metropolis sized Town Outside The Dungeon. It's just most of that stuff matters little in the context of the metaplot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So this is a thing. Richard Garfield teams up with FFG to create a deckbuildingless-yet-randomized card game where every deck you buy is randomly generated in some fashion and each deck has unique signifiers meaning you aren't allowed to change things around, what you buy is what you get for that particular deck. So far I'm extremely skeptical as to how they're going to pull this off in a workable fashion considering this is being billed as a competitive tournament game as well, and their plans for dealing with overpowered decks is to saddle them with handicaps or eventually retire them outright.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh cool, a game named "Keyforge: Call of the Archons" with an aesthetic that can best be described as "steampunk Overwatch."

Nah.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

When I run whatever glorantha system (probably heroquest) that won't be a problem because all my glorantha knowledge comes from kodp so all those NPCs have been dead for hundreds of years

I think most of the big players you meet in KODP are still kicking. The only one I can think of that isn't around is Belintar the Pharaoh.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

I think most of the big players you meet in KODP are still kicking. The only one I can think of that isn't around is Belintar the Pharaoh.

Yeah it's more that Glorantha, even just the northern continent, is, ya know, a world. It's really big, and you can easily find areas without any super NPCs should you want to. KODP takes place in one small place of Orlanthi land, which itself only makes up like a quarter to a third of the northern continent.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Fantasy Flight posted:

KeyForge: Call of the Archons is played over a series of turns where you, as the Archon leading your company, will use the creatures, technology, artifacts, and skills of a chosen House to reap precious Æmber, hold off your enemy’s forces, and forge enough keys to unlock the Crucible’s Vaults. 

Æmber.

Æmber!!!

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 2, 2018

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

A competitive card game with no deckbuilding or booster packs because you buy the whole deck at once and every single deck is unique and you can't modify them.

What the gently caress?

jadarx
May 25, 2012
On Keyforge - It's pretty crazy. If I read the article right, decks are all built from a big set of cards. So two decks could only have 1 card different and still be "unique"? If that's the case, I wonder how similar most of the decks will be, with only a small set of unique cards.

Other than that, feels like "Sealed Deck: The Game". And Sealed Deck events are a once-in-a-while fun thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The cynic in me can't help but view this as an extension of the whole "games as a service" thing which has taken root in videogaming. Magic's randomization scheme is garbage but you can at least cobble together interesting formats out of cheap, low-cost cards like pauper's cubes. Keystone, by contrast, says that if for some reason you don't like the deck you paid $20 that you can either A). suck it up or B). spend another $20 and hope you get something more your speed. Or if you just get bored with what you've got even, it's still $20 a hit, you have no way of knowing what you'll pull, and you can't customize anything.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I...don't get it?

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would anyone know if I switched out cards from one deck to another?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Vandar posted:

I...don't get it?

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would anyone know if I switched out cards from one deck to another?

According to the description every deck has unique card backs, plus there's as-yet undetailed app integration which suggests there may be a way of digitally tracking the contents of each deck as well.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
The Platonic ideal of Keyforge is probably a great game for highlighting player skill.

The Platonic reality of Keyforge will likely be RNG: The Gamening, given that FFG have a less than stellar track record when it comes to balance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moriatti posted:

What's the easiest way for me, a baby-brained buffoon, to start reading about Glorantha?

I read that as highly-trained buffoon.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I read that as highly-trained buffoon.
Some Eurmali really take their jobs seriously and put in the hard work.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kai Tave posted:

According to the description every deck has unique card backs, plus there's as-yet undetailed app integration which suggests there may be a way of digitally tracking the contents of each deck as well.

Unique card backs won't help much if people are using sleeves. :shrug:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Vandar posted:

Unique card backs won't help much if people are using sleeves. :shrug:

Magic's had tournament policies regarding the various restricted uses of card sleeves at different levels of competitive play for a while now, plus players and TOs are entitled to deck checks on top of that, so I highly doubt this is something that won't be addressed or hasn't been considered. As far as casual play goes there's nothing stopping you from doing whatever you want, but that's between you and your friends.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Card back examples:

Procedural generation for TCGs is kind of interesting and I'm fascinated by what this says about what printers can viably do now.

on the other hand like gently caress i'm buying into this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Soccer ball, Splinter Cell, Thundercats, alien?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I dunno if my experience is atypical, but not of the FLGSs I've ever been to, spanning three major cities and one smaller one, have ever had a meaningful number of people playing any card game but Magic or Pokemon, or back some years, Yugioh.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

The cynic in me can't help but view this as an extension of the whole "games as a service" thing which has taken root in videogaming. Magic's randomization scheme is garbage but you can at least cobble together interesting formats out of cheap, low-cost cards like pauper's cubes. Keystone, by contrast, says that if for some reason you don't like the deck you paid $20 that you can either A). suck it up or B). spend another $20 and hope you get something more your speed. Or if you just get bored with what you've got even, it's still $20 a hit, you have no way of knowing what you'll pull, and you can't customize anything.

I mean, this probably true as far as FFG is concerned, but it is well documented that when Richard Garfield designed MtG he wanted, and expected, it to be a game where people only bought a small number of cards. The idea being that every time you played someone new you would see some crazy card you hadn't seen before.

It looks like he's never really given up on that idea. I'm not sure this will actually work at all, but it does look like an attempt to realise that design goal.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
This sounds like something that would work better as a computer game, but who wants to to be stuck with whatever deck you pull versus whatever random deck someone else pulls?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fool_of_sound posted:

I dunno if my experience is atypical, but not of the FLGSs I've ever been to, spanning three major cities and one smaller one, have ever had a meaningful number of people playing any card game but Magic or Pokemon, or back some years, Yugioh.

I think it depends on the region. Android: Netrunner was apparently popular enough to have a tournament scene and while I doubt it came close to doing Magic or Pokemon numbers it isn't completely implausible that FFG makes a card game that's popular enough to merit ongoing competitive support given that they've already done so before.

That said, I'm definitely not sold on this particular concept since I'm not really sure who it's designed to appeal to outside of the demographic that just really, really fuckin loves sealed deck tournaments and nothing else. A game where everything revolves around immutable preconstructed decks means that there's much less appeal for people who want to tinker and customize, and casual players who run into a deck that whoops their rear end solely by virtue of their opponent having better luck when they spent their money and the answer being "well buy more decks and hope you pull good!" doesn't seem like a winning strategy either. Apparently, going off of the rules, the solution to the "what do we do when two decks are clearly mismatched" dilemma is to put "chains" on the better deck which hamper its card draw out of the gate and I don't see this being a satisfactory solution for anybody who gets told "sorry, the thing you bought blind is too good so now you can't play it without a handicap."

thefakenews posted:

I mean, this probably true as far as FFG is concerned, but it is well documented that when Richard Garfield designed MtG he wanted, and expected, it to be a game where people only bought a small number of cards. The idea being that every time you played someone new you would see some crazy card you hadn't seen before.

It looks like he's never really given up on that idea. I'm not sure this will actually work at all, but it does look like an attempt to realise that design goal.

That still isn't gonna fuckin happen though. If this game is anything other than a complete flop it's going to be a matter of a couple of months at most before a comprehensive card database exists where anyone can look up everything there is to offer. Unless this game is somehow procedurally generating a shitzillion unique cards all the time the novelty factor is going to wear out quick, and then what you're left with is a CCG with no deckbuilding and nothing worth collecting.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

That still isn't gonna fuckin happen though. If this game is anything other than a complete flop it's going to be a matter of a couple of months at most before a comprehensive card database exists where anyone can look up everything there is to offer. Unless this game is somehow procedurally generating a shitzillion unique cards all the time the novelty factor is going to wear out quick, and then what you're left with is a CCG with no deckbuilding and nothing worth collecting.

Hence my expressing scepticism about the design goal being realised, but I still think this is what Garfield is trying to do. It's not like it was ever gonna work for MtG either.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thefakenews posted:

Hence my expressing scepticism about the design goal being realised, but I still think this is what Garfield is trying to do. It's not like it was ever gonna work for MtG either.

I mean back when Magic very first launched you could plausibly entertain the idea that nobody was going to devote themselves to rigorously updating a meticulous database of every card in existence for anyone in the world to pore over but that was in 1993.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

starkebn posted:

This sounds like something that would work better as a computer game, but who wants to to be stuck with whatever deck you pull versus whatever random deck someone else pulls?
As a tourney type video game I could see this working. Join the tourney, get a random deck, you spend the first half of the tourney learning your deck and the second half exploiting it. Also they could update busted cards easily. Though most online CCGs have this as a "mode" already.

Or a slay the the spire type roguelike with a more varied starter deck.

I just want an up to date version of the 90s magic crpg OK?

jadarx posted:

On Keyforge - It's pretty crazy. If I read the article right, decks are all built from a big set of cards. So two decks could only have 1 card different and still be "unique"? If that's the case, I wonder how similar most of the decks will be, with only a small set of unique cards.

Other than that, feels like "Sealed Deck: The Game". And Sealed Deck events are a once-in-a-while fun thing.

quote:

In fact, in just the first set of KeyForge, Call of the Archons, there are more than 104,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possible decks!
This is the part where I completely noped out. If they're spouting that kind of variety then yeah, they're counting "I have this 1/2 guy and you have this 2/1 guy!" as distinct decks.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This sounds really stupid and I'd honestly rather buy back into Magic or Pokemon than try this thing out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm suddenly reminded of Metal Gear Ac!d of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I honestly don't enjoy deckbuilding, and find netdecking kind of unsatisfying, so the idea of a card game that lacks those things sounds good. This isn't a great solution, since it just replaces netdecking with really expensive booster packs that you might get no use out of whatsoever, especially once there's sites that'll tell you if your deck is any good or not. Maybe if your brain isn't broken like mine you'll be able to try and eke out some fun from playing a lovely deck, but I personally wouldn't enjoy that experience.