Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dont think osha applies to superheroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

EvilJoven posted:

I wanna know what happens if it gets in a crash. Do the passengers get exploded, burned, or boiled to death?

None of those. The system mainly contains wood pellets, which aren't very flammable, and small amount of carbon monoxide. Wood gas operates by burning wood in a low-oxygen container producing carbon monoxide. The CO is then piped to the engine to use as fuel. Since the CO is being produced constantly there is no need for a large pressurized tank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas

Biggest danger in crash is probably getting crushed by the equipment.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I get why a short circuit in large batteries is pretty much a nightmare scenario...how does a badly patched hole contribute to this? Also, ahhhh, wtf they were patching damaged batteries and their patch didn't even stop the loss of electrolyte?!

Oh, is the leaking electrolyte the cause of possible shorts?

The patch does nothing to repair the damage in the cell itself. There is a membrane inside keeping the electrodes from touching and let the chemistry do its thing. If you puncture the cell and it doesn't short-circuit, getting warm might deform the layers enough to do the job.

You don't want oxygen in your cells, since that degrades the cell, lowering its capacity and raising it resistance, making it run hot easier. Losing electrolyte also means a degraded cell and electrolytes are good conductors and often corrosive.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 1, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

I get why a short circuit in large batteries is pretty much a nightmare scenario...how does a badly patched hole contribute to this? Also, ahhhh, wtf they were patching damaged batteries and their patch didn't even stop the loss of electrolyte?!

Oh, is the leaking electrolyte the cause of possible shorts?

Lithium cells of the sort Tesla uses start with a long sandwich of positive, separator, negative that are rolled up and put in a cylinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFuVbZmu5M&t=1441s

The positive and negative parts are really close to begin with. Poking them with a needle doesn’t improve their separation. Patching them might stop the electrolyte from leaking more than it already has but it doesn’t undo the damage. Further, the patch itself might put pressure on the cell and make the problem worse.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Memento posted:

Yeah, so like 3 mpg? Not great.

Efficiency rate of the gasifier allow to convert about 75% of fuel energy content
into a combustible gas that can be used as fuel for internal combustion engine. As
result of practical application of wood gasifier has been found that 1000 kg of wood
combustible material could replace 365 litres of petrol during real transportation [2].

That's around 1 pound of wood per mile driven, I have literally no idea how you got 3mpg. gallons of what, wood alcohol?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thatguy posted:

That's around 1 pound of wood per mile driven, I have literally no idea how you got 3mpg. gallons of what, wood alcohol?

It works if the wood has a density of 0.36 g/cc.

That’s pretty light for wood, so maybe it assumes a unit of volume like the stère or the cord that encompasses empty spaces within a stack of wood.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wait how many teslas have these punctured cells? We gonna see Model 3's burst into flame at a regular pace over the next 3 months until Tesla's forced to do a recall, which sinks the company?

That'd be rad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Wait how many teslas have these punctured cells? We gonna see Model 3's burst into flame at a regular pace over the next 3 months until Tesla's forced to do a recall, which sinks the company?

That'd be rad.

Don't know. According to the whistle blower they stopped logging that information.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
LMBO gently caress you Elon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I mean tires are just shoes for vehicles, right? I see no problems here.

But yeah, really, what? Is that actually 2 separate wheels or did they jam a tire onto a wheel, a... half tire and some soles? I am really loving confused and interested in that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Lowe's and some other stores are gonna stop selling NMP and methylene chloride this year. Lowe's in particular said they intend to work with the EPA on implementing some manner if regulatory standard for the industry (DIY retail? Dunno).

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

That'd be rad.

It's gonna be good drat hover board apocalypse all over again

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

thatguy posted:

I admit I only looked at energy density of wood compared to the energy density of gasoline, clearly I wasn't doing the right sums.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lurking Haro posted:

The patch does nothing to repair the damage in the cell itself. There is a membrane inside keeping the electrodes from touching and let the chemistry do its thing. If you puncture the cell and it doesn't short-circuit, getting warm might deform the layers enough to do the job.

You don't want oxygen in your cells, since that degrades the cell, lowering its capacity and raising it resistance, making it run hot easier. Losing electrolyte also means a degraded cell and electrolytes are good conductors and often corrosive.

Platystemon posted:

Lithium cells of the sort Tesla uses start with a long sandwich of positive, separator, negative that are rolled up and put in a cylinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFuVbZmu5M&t=1441s

The positive and negative parts are really close to begin with. Poking them with a needle doesn’t improve their separation. Patching them might stop the electrolyte from leaking more than it already has but it doesn’t undo the damage. Further, the patch itself might put pressure on the cell and make the problem worse.

Thanks for the through replies, I understand now.

I understand Telsa hosed up when they didn't parter with anyone who understood automotive mass production which is in fact really hard. Any automotive manufacturer would have been happy to partner with them - but, this would be bad, because - NUMMI was a Union plant?

But this poo poo - how up your own rear end can you get? This behavior is screaming for a nuke it from orbit class action lawsuit. If history wasn't enough, two huge scandals have recently destroyed automotive companies: VW and Takata airbags. One doesn't exist anymore, (haha, it's motto was "quality first" and the other has royally hosed itself in North America - if it comes back at all, it'll take a decade at least.

I guess I'm echoing much more pithy comments above, but holy poo poo

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You should check out the Elon musk thread in gbs. It's a tale of tech, silicon valley, disruption, and light fraud.

You should also check out the captilism.jpg thread too

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

link, please?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I don't think we have yet enough information about this issue. Apparently 1173 battery modules got dented/punctured and 732 of those went into Model 3s. Hopefully they were only dented and didn't have cell damage. The second hand information about the repair method is concerning, possibly enough for regulatory body to issue recall. At which point Tesla needs to prove what happened to the battery modules with damaged cells. But it feels it would be easy to open the modules and replace any damaged cells before using the batteries.

Tesla's manufacturing issues have been centered on car manufacturing with multitudes of failings. But I think this is the first issue I have heard about in the battery manufacturing. That is Tesla's specialty and I doubt there were any established car manufacturers they could have asked for help.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HardDiskD posted:

link, please?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862848

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks, and do you have the capitalism.jpg as well? Couldn't find it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Saukkis posted:

Tesla's manufacturing issues have been centered on car manufacturing with multitudes of failings. But I think this is the first issue I have heard about in the battery manufacturing. That is Tesla's specialty and I doubt there were any established car manufacturers they could have asked for help.

With battery technology specifically? Probably not. With how to manufacture well? Absolutely, they could have. Tesla vastly underestimated the difficulty of mass production; it was sheer arrogance that they didn't subcontract it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HardDiskD posted:

Thanks, and do you have the capitalism.jpg as well? Couldn't find it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863200

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Be careful, this thread will make you wish for cleansing thermonuclear fire sooner rather than later.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

link, please?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Elon Musk just keeps embarrassing himself. He's been getting in fights with journalists over his terrible Tesla tent:

https://twitter.com/tictoc/status/1016181473597100032

To making a fool of himself offering up a mini-submarine to save the boys in the Thai cave:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1016557719539605504

At least he occasionally does something useful:

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1015388220912267265

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Memento posted:

Be careful, this thread will make you wish for cleansing thermonuclear fire sooner rather than later.

The funny part is people eating probes for posting their marxist screeds.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nebakenezzer posted:

With battery technology specifically? Probably not. With how to manufacture well? Absolutely, they could have. Tesla vastly underestimated the difficulty of mass production; it was sheer arrogance that they didn't subcontract it.
Didn't they headhunt a bunch of discrete manufacturing experts who promptly butted heads with Elon about things like actual safety programs and yellow lines on the floor and TQM and promptly left to be replaced with Elon lovers.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NvBD3-244w

And the follow up vid. This channel's pretty great. Not necessarily OSHA, but it's pretty entertaining watching Russians make weird poo poo.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

They seem to be standing somewhat down wind of a burning car that is also burning its huge battery, that seems unwise.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

JB50 posted:

The funny part is people eating probes for posting their marxist screeds.

i dont believe you

i dont believe anyone would ever be probed for that here

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

landing sucsesfl

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Self-tweeting because it's easier than mobile imgur

https://twitter.com/wurp/status/1024879828422541312?s=19

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

starkebn posted:

landing sucsesfl

Any landing you walk away from

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

sooooooo what's on the picnic table and where did it come from?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

its a spinnyboi it came from the sky

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Nebakenezzer posted:

two huge scandals have recently destroyed automotive companies: VW

Lol, if only.

https://www.ft.com/content/a6e96424-18b2-11e8-9376-4a6390addb44

quote:

The German group was the world’s largest carmaker by sales in both 2016 and 2017

:capitalism:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
VW should have had its corporate charter revoked.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

VW should have had its corporate charter revoked.

VW were the ones messing with the emissions testing or falsifying results or whatever, weren't they?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zipperelli. posted:

VW were the ones messing with the emissions testing or falsifying results or whatever, weren't they?

They deliberately programmed their cars so that when they were being tested for emissions, they changed their programmed tune in order to comply with the tests. Then when the test was over, they went back to their regular tune which had better power and fuel economy but emissions that weren't even close to meeting the standards.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

It's gonna be good drat hover board apocalypse all over again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOwhah8AifU

That was fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I still don't get it. Its some sort of tugboat version of a truck, parked there normally. Is the joke that it's parked where the picnic table is normally located, implying it crashed down crushing the table but leaving no trace otherwise?