Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Nevermind, I made it. It's nice to know I have a friend who will drop everything and race to the airport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Atomicated posted:

They threw away the shot tower.

I went to the bathroom then the tower was gone.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
We got too close to god, they were saving us from ourselves

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Clanpot Shake posted:

Nevermind, I made it. It's nice to know I have a friend who will drop everything and race to the airport

Ok that's a lot less bad than how I read your previous post. I thought you'd already arrived and were considering another round trip to get your tickets and I was like "that is some serious Gen Con dedication".

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ok that's a lot less bad than how I read your previous post. I thought you'd already arrived and were considering another round trip to get your tickets and I was like "that is some serious Gen Con dedication".

I was thinking that overnight shipping would be cheaper than a round trip flight

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I arrived. Will call line was long. We drank at six different bars. Came back to will call. Was short. Moral of the story: drinking improves everything. Who wants to drink Thursday and where...???

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I’ve been in will call for like 10 minutes and I’m almost to the front already. Nice.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Slimy Hog posted:

I was thinking that overnight shipping would be cheaper than a round trip flight

Yeah I was at risk of missing my flight, but everything worked out. Next one was 12 hours later...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

poo poo, I had an auction item still in edit mode and it's locked out this morning :(

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I saw that Bee game. It looks pretty fun.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

8one6 posted:

I saw that Bee game. It looks pretty fun.

I saw there were two more bee themed games in the Playtest Hall. Should we kick their table or something? Whose going to want to play a game on a kicked table? Nobody, that's who!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Don't be silly, just find and destroy their queens in single combat. The rest of the hive should disperse.
(Bee Lives is really cute, thanks for the demo Nesbit37! Folks, not only does the game have beeples, it also has honey cubes. KS it!)

So I had a fun, productive first day. Instead of watching as the Dork Tide swelled over the breakers and crashed the Nerd Sea into the dealer room (like I've done at past GenCons), I played Frostgrave with its author, helped out a friend/game demo guy carry stuff to his room, gave another friend a partial guided tour, hit the Venezuelan food truck, and scouted a couple local restaurants. And then napped. Good day.

e.: The food truck was El Venezolano, for the record. Really tasty arepas, but get there early if you want any of their cheese sticks.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 3, 2018

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nesbit37, we're you the young guy with a beard or the old guy with a beard?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks to you all that came to the bee lives booth and demoed and picked up bee pins! It was a crazy, non stop day which was great but exhausting.

As for the other bee games, just huddle around them in a group, collectively high them, and shiver until you raise your body temps high enough to cook the designers to death. That's how real bees handle such problems.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I hope I can see these fabled bees tomorrow.

In other news I played an impromptu DnD game with goons and I liked it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
B E A U T I F U L
C R E A T U R E S

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 3, 2018

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ok caption these excellent photos

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pez posted:

I hope I can see these fabled bees tomorrow.

In other news I played an impromptu DnD game with goons and I liked it

The non-goon GM is real good at improvising stuff; we're in a weekly group and he's good fun.

I need suggestions on games and booths to look at tomorrow. Root, Reef and Expancity are on my very short list, I don't know what is good or bad.

Bee game looked neat though! The real one.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks to you all that came to the bee lives booth and demoed and picked up bee pins!

...goddammit, I knew I was forgetting something. You're not out of pins, are you?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Root is terrible, don't buy it.

no seriously it's awesome but I'm scared it will sell out before I can get my copy. It's a strategy, you see.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

...goddammit, I knew I was forgetting something. You're not out of pins, are you?

nope, I sold about a third of them, so plenty left for now.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Carteret posted:

no seriously it's awesome but I'm scared it will sell out before I can get my copy. It's a strategy, you see.

They had very little left at the end of yesterday when I checked in after the hall closed so get there asap.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nesbit37 posted:

They had very little left at the end of yesterday when I checked in after the hall closed so get there asap.

What booth is it?

Edit: The map finally loaded on my phone, it's #3043.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 3, 2018

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I love the Bee game and Nesbit is super nice, even when I was trying to talk him into letting me make laser blasted acrylic meeples beeples for him

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Anyone actually willing to pick up any CMON stuff for me from their limited selection at the booth? Also ROOT is great my copy arrived last week and I've payed like 5 times solo and it's tough like pandemic on hard mode.

Doompants
May 22, 2015

nesbit37 posted:

If you're in the groupme you're probably sick of me talking about this, but if not...

Come visit me at booth #3058 and check out the bee game, Bee Lives: We Will Only Know Summer !

We also will be selling Bee pins for $10 each

AND we'll be selling games from Weird Giraffe Game's catalog.

Finally, I'm also there to talk about Gen Con history, particularly the program database project I did last year covering all 50 years of Gen Con's programs, oral histories, and more.

Even if you don't care about any of the above stop by and ask me about stairs and my house.

Great game - played @DTC18, had a lot of fun.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Picked up Root on your guys' recommendations and I'm excited to play it, it looks rad.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Where can i get hard copies of old rpgs here??

E nevermind gottem

mbt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 3, 2018

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Azul, Snow Time, and Master of Wills are faves so far. Tower of Madness is good but you can have some boring rounds

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Where can i get hard copies of old rpgs here??

E nevermind gottem
I HEAR THE AUCTION AND AUCTION STORE HAVE GREAT DEALS ON BRUUUFFJJFJKKSOSKASNSBLALALAKKALA

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I played the Bee Game! It was fun!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Today I learned there was a Blizzard booth. They have the best carpet in the whole of Gen Con. My feet are going to marry that carpet.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Does anyone have any suggestions for new RPGs to pick up this year?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Carteret posted:

I ended up playing a demo this morning and then went to their booth and got the game and like the 10th last expansion. The meeples are extremely cute.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

8one6 posted:

Runequest

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Haystack posted:

Runequest

This. I've been reading through it since I picked it up, it seems really good.

If you like 40k rpgs, wrath and glory is also looking cool so far.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have my copy now, the jig is up: everyone should buy this game!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

8one6 posted:

I picked up Kids On Bikes and it seems cool and good if you like that type of game.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Having a good con so far. Currently in the corner of the open gaming area with a bunch of other drunk friends playing Gaslands. I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Where is the open gaming area? Is that the one on Lucas oil field? Or a different thing?