Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Edit: gently caress my opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol, that ranks up there in mugshot of the year.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
So mathematically, if one day they do intend to close the "concept store" and only enable ships to be purchased with UEC I would love to see how :reddit: will entertain us. Cause it being a pure pledge with UEC gifted back to the user as "THANKS", making ships limited within the game as artificial scarcity, and enabling it to be traded amongst players in game will devalue UEC and inflate ship prices.

For example, since the Connie Phoenix LTI is no longer purchasable in the concept store, allowing players to trade the "keys" / right / access to the ship within the game via UEC -> ship without any limits to CASH -> UEC is going to be glorious. Therein enabling the entire black market to exist within the game. And CIG earns the tax from each trade, as well as the revenue of $$$ -> UEC.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

late but I had to google around to make sure this is real. imagine defending the oval office who talks to you like this.

maybe the tiny veneer of respect was holding them back and attracting too many normal people, this thing's probably at the stage where they only have use for the broken and openly abusable.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 2, 2018

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 2, 2018

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Please stop the negativity and FUD

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is unreadable if you’re on the Awful app with the dark theme, just FYI

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Taintrunner posted:

This is unreadable if you’re on the Awful app with the dark theme, just FYI

Noo, my community outreach!

Ta, fixed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I can't keep up with the thread at the moment, but I have a question. Apologies if I've missed this, double apologies if I've missed a thoughtful dissertation on it.

So if their "in-game" currency is available to buy in limitless quantities from their store, how can anyone reasonably place a value on it?

Here's an example of what I mean. In World of Warcraft, you can buy gold through the store. Now since the game exists, and gold exists, and stuff in the auction house and other places are purchased with gold, it's relatively easy to decide if the gold is worth your money. Perhaps there's a rare mount up for sale, and you can drop $30 or something and get it, and that gold would otherwise take months to accumulate. You might feel that's a worthy tradeoff. Whereas if the $30 of gold barely buys you a healing potion, you'd say "gently caress that" and abstain. The economy, the game, the relative values of time and items can be calculated and you can make an educated decision.

Constrast CIG:

- No design for the game beyond vague notions of "a space game"
- Nonfunctioning models they're calling "ships" with no functions
- No design for functionality beyond bad flight
- No codebase for functionality beyond bad flight
- No design for any in-game systems
- No game loop
- No plans for in-game economy
- No value conversions for in-game currency to in-game items
- No "time to achieve" for in-game items to use for relative comparison

This is nothing more than blind hope purchasing. Buy "in-game" currency with an unknown value, that will be used on unknown items, at an unknown time, at an unknown price, to save an unknown amount of effort.

WTF is this poo poo?

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

The Titanic posted:

As a fellow member of the "maximum covert operations stealth ops team" I just want to confirm this story as accurate.

In fact just the other day I was talking with Jobbo_Fett as he was sanding some particulates from his wooden gun after an especially dangerous operation we conducted in places so dangeroujust talking about them here would put you all in grave risk.

"Nice shot, capping that guy from <redacted>! I don't think I ever saw so much blood before!" I said cheerfully, checking the sharpness of my whittling knife as I began inspecting my service issued SOCOM plank for damages.

"Oh I know. And when that <redacted> <redacted> came <redacted> <redacted> like one of those <redacted> guys I thought it was all over. Luckily," Jobbo_Fett said with a laugh, patting the blood soaked rubber band attached to the deadly cork, "I had this baby to protect us."

"Thank <redacted> for <redacted>! Otherwise we'd have had to swim up <redacted> and last time that happened the <redacted> had river scorpions crawling out of <redacted> giant, throbbing <redacted>!" I said with a jovial smile, sand papering my plank a bit more in preparation for the next secret operation op where secret operations have to be conducted.

Star Citizen: The Next Great Lore Writer.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't keep up with the thread at the moment, but I have a question. Apologies if I've missed this, double apologies if I've missed a thoughtful dissertation on it.

So if their "in-game" currency is available to buy in limitless quantities from their store, how can anyone reasonably place a value on it?

Here's an example of what I mean. In World of Warcraft, you can buy gold through the store. Now since the game exists, and gold exists, and stuff in the auction house and other places are purchased with gold, it's relatively easy to decide if the gold is worth your money. Perhaps there's a rare mount up for sale, and you can drop $30 or something and get it, and that gold would otherwise take months to accumulate. You might feel that's a worthy tradeoff. Whereas if the $30 of gold barely buys you a healing potion, you'd say "gently caress that" and abstain. The economy, the game, the relative values of time and items can be calculated and you can make an educated decision.

Constrast CIG:

- No game loop

This is nothing more than blind hope purchasing. Buy "in-game" currency with an unknown value, that will be used on unknown items, at an unknown time, at an unknown price, to save an unknown amount of effort.

WTF is this poo poo?

Buying UEC for real money and the economy are still in alpha

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Scruffpuff posted:

In World of Warcraft, you can buy gold through the store. Now since the game exists, and gold exists, and stuff in the auction house and other places are purchased with gold, it's relatively easy to decide if the gold is worth your money.

Correct me if I am wrong, I have not played WoW for years, but I believe Blizzard does not sell gold, it sells game time tokens.

The subtle difference being that this real money transaction does not create more gold to the economy - people have to pay for those tokens with currency they have acquired by playing the game.

In Star Citizens case each player account can dump two months of typical MMO subscription fees worth of gold created from thin air daily to the market, creating interesting challenges for the dev team to balance like hyperinflation vs mission rewards. I am certain CIG has already solved these minor issues.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

Constrast CIG:

- No game loop

WTF is this poo poo?

Exactly! This is why its not pay to win! There is no content to win and there never will be!

Its pure genuis!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

AbstractNapper posted:

People who still back Star Citizen and read these thread to see if goons will name drop you.
Don't buy virtual coin for an unfinished mess that won't ever be completed and will never be fun, you dolts.

Don't listen to this FUDster, Star Citizen can not fail, it will never fail, but you can fail Star Citizen. Stay strong citizens, keep the faith flowing and the money rolling.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tooterfish posted:

Religion does tend to take on a life of its own.

Roughly 5 minutes after the guy who kicked the poo poo out of the moneylenders dropped dead, the ecclesiarchy were selling absolution and sitting on solid gold loving thrones.

Yeah, but they usually wait for the messiah to die before the religion really kicks off!

I mean, you can't really start making up stuff while the messiah is still around to correct you! Assuming the messiah wants to correct you of course.

Like religion though, i can see the cult fragmenting at some point. There might be the "Only 1 year in development adventists", there will be the "5 years in development, but it was just pipelines front of LA", and of course, those fringe looies, the "7 year fundamentalists".

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

definitely not a greedy scumbag

buy more ships

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Koil posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, I have not played WoW for years, but I believe Blizzard does not sell gold, it sells game time tokens.

The subtle difference being that this real money transaction does not create more gold to the economy - people have to pay for those tokens with currency they have acquired by playing the game.

In Star Citizens case each player account can dump two months of typical MMO subscription fees worth of gold created from thin air daily to the market, creating interesting challenges for the dev team to balance like hyperinflation vs mission rewards. I am certain CIG has already solved these minor issues.

this has been many times brought up and how it'll affect the economy and there was no response from any devs

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Koil posted:

Lol, the shitheads who still think this can be a game have given up on NPCs actually having a basic AI to give missions and handle the completion status.

Their broken minds are now in the sphere of everything being emergent gameplay. Like, I pay real cash and therefore have lots of cash in the game. So now I can be a mission giver and have low-lifes do errands for me for a reward. Isn't that better than having an NPC for that? Isn't that better than waiting forever for a proper game to be released (which it never will anyway)?

Dev teams don't really have to balance poo poo, and it's definitely not in their current priorities. They just let the buffoons figure out some way to play this broken and pale tier 0 second life, and keep their focus on more ships and other ideas for milking the cash cows.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 2, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Koil posted:

Yes you're right - they sell tokens, which you can auction for gold. This adds an element of planning, because you usually want to sell when the price is higher, but the central point remains: you have an idea what the gold is worth.

With CIG, you have no idea what you're getting. Since the game is not designed yet, you don't even have an inkling of what might be coming, except it will certainly have buzzwords to make it seem like it's competitive with other space games that exist and are playable, i.e. "Procedural Planets, Bounty Hunting, Factories, Piracy" etc. Are those things planned? Only if you consider "Chris Roberts heard of these things once and would like to do them" as synonymous with "planned."

Then the point you added is even better. With no game existing and limitless amounts of in-game currency now being created from thin air with no counterbalance, I'm sure CIG is moving boldly forward with absolutely no plan, and no idea what they're doing.

In a sense it's genius, since obviously they'll never get to the point where they actually need to solve this problem. Which is rather sad - I'd have enjoyed watching them get the solution as wrong as possible.

I can always count on CIG being the diametric opposite to intelligent, correct actions and solutions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yesterday was not an easy day to distill into a few quotes, god drat

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It's time for CIG to only sell ships for UEC now. People will first have to buy UEC and then use that to buy ships. No more refunds, ever, because the virtual currency has been successfully delivered!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

croberts doing the features in present tense thing in his what is win monologue.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Daztek posted:

It's time for CIG to only sell ships for UEC now. People will first have to buy UEC and then use that to buy ships. No more refunds, ever, because the virtual currency has been successfully delivered!

genius, please relay this to the head bear cig thread intern.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Do players have a way to transfer UEC to each other in game?

If so, this seems to be a fairly ripe mechanism for money laundering on a small scale (for now).

Account A purchases UEC using dirty money.

Account A sells UEC (at a slight discount, perhaps) to other users using Paypal.

Account A now has clean money.

and CIG has money.

Sort of like people buying gift cards using stolen credit card info, then selling them @ .50 on the dollar, except in space.

Golli fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 2, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Golli posted:

If so, this seems to be a fairly ripe mechanism for money laundering on a small scale (for now).

Account A sells UEC (at a slight discount, perhaps) to other users using Paypal.

and CIG has money.

This is all CIG cares about. Not sure what the rest says.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Is every picture of Chris Roberts named backpfeifengesicht(1).jpg? You don't need to hear a single errrm out of his mouth or lookup any of his past failures to know he's an untrustworthy idiot. "Don't judge a book by its cover" does not apply at all to him. Winning at Star Citizen is never spending a penny on it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

extremely powerful bot

I believe that 'Good bot' is the upvote trigger.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Koil posted:

The solution to gold inflation wouldn't make them candidates for a major computer science award unlike some of the other things that they've promised. So by comparison, this is a minor issue.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Satus frictione!

my hovercraft is full of eels Romani, domi fricabis!

let us go home bouncy bouncy Venite fricabis

we shall rub fricare sumus

let the rubbing commence tum utendum sit inchoare

begin the rubbing! nulla exulceratio incipiam!

my nipples explode with delight! et multa frictione opus erat

much rubbing was had multa frictione uti dictum erat

they will have been rubbed et illi inter se diutius fricta

we will have had been rubbing erimus enim fuerat in frictione praesidium

hello sailor scimus autem fricare

we saw you rub te vidimus fricare

you rub et fricare

you have beautiful thighs Credere non possum frictio levat, non!

star citizens rub themselves stellae sunt civium teras

Veni Vici Vercise!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The second one should be a B&W of Chris on the Yacht, IMO.

Also, I appreciate the quality and quantity of your 'shops. They brighten my day.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

The Titanic posted:

I would say "sounds like a challenge" but this is the Star Citizen thread where I stay on my best behavior and remain pure and wholesome and riddled with fidelity. :cheers:

That reminds me of a story about a friend of a friend. She got the Bad Dragon Unicorn as a gag gift, and her wife told her she could keep it on the condition that she take the whole thing. It now sits on their mantle.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's gonna be loving awesome when they realize that in order to counter the inflation they caused by allowing unlimited currency purchasing, a mid-tier ship is going to have to cost like fifty billion space credits lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/gZpfbXY.gifv

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

It's gonna be loving awesome when they realize that in order to counter the inflation they caused by allowing unlimited currency purchasing, a mid-tier ship is going to have to cost like fifty billion space credits lol

They will counter inflation by keeping UEC pegged to the USD, and continuing to sell ships for cash.

I know they said (or implied) that they won't sell ships for cash after launch, but it's not like they've never lied before.

They will however keep the earn rate from in-game activities very low relative to in-game ship prices, so the $/effort ratio will always be in favor of cash purchases.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I really want them to start selling ships for in game money because they day the prices get listed will almost certainly be the funniest day in the history of star citizen.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Golli posted:

and CIG has money.

Sort of like people buying gift cards using stolen credit card info, then selling them @ .50 on the dollar, except in space.

You create a taxi beacon asking for some other player to drive you to your current position, your friend accepts the offer, you pay him, the game crashed. There! Gold sinks have already been implemented.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
CiG are like WoW gold farmers - except the farmers are actually Blizzard employees and the game doesn't exist.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Don't worry, the people who spend pledge thousands buying space credits do so in order to support the development of the project. The credits are just a thank-you from CIG so it doesn't really matter if they get devalued

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Golli posted:

They will counter inflation by keeping UEC pegged to the USD, and continuing to sell ships for cash.

I know they said (or implied) that they won't sell ships for cash after launch, but it's not like they've never lied before.

They will however keep the earn rate from in-game activities very low relative to in-game ship prices, so the $/effort ratio will always be in favor of cash purchases.

Yeah I kinda feel like their only real option is to just go full f2p grindfest at this point - tank the economy to the point where grinding doesn't get you poo poo, and keep selling UEC for $$$

trucutru posted:

Don't worry, the people who spend pledge thousands buying space credits do so in order to support the development of the project. The credits are just a thank-you from CIG so it doesn't really matter if they get devalued

SilentRuin? Is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It's gotta be soul-crushing to be a self-aware employee working at CIG. To know you're working at the Special Olympics version of a game development studio, with everyone pretending that everything is great and everyone is special and things are just going so great you guys, great job CIG!

The only real difference is that everyone actually comes in last.