Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Feenix posted:

What the gently caress is a dream gate, bro? I have a Dream nail. Have I missed something here? *runs to google*

If you get enough dream nail power you can use it to leave checkpoints behind that you can warp too, ie, skip boss runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

no, I think at the spirit grove you get 1 essence per ghost. the good sources are warrior graves, which you can buy a map pin for once you have the dream nail, and harder refights of some bosses (false knight (slightly hidden), broken vessel, soul master)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Also the Defender, and... that one really Mighty fellow.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

b_d posted:

no, I think at the spirit grove you get 1 essence per ghost. the good sources are warrior graves, which you can buy a map pin for once you have the dream nail, and harder refights of some bosses (false knight (slightly hidden), broken vessel, soul master)
Went to fight the FK dream boss and both entry points are blocked by infection. Am I SOL?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Feenix posted:

Went to fight the FK dream boss and both entry points are blocked by infection. Am I SOL?

Nah you can still get in there, just not from the left.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Feenix posted:

No, you can get in from underneath by going up at the place above where you found the shopkeeper early in the game. Or you can just use the stagway, assuming you unlocked it earlier. Or you can drop down on the right side by walking from Dirtmouth, assuming you opened the gates earlier.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if you've got the Defender's Badge (and you should), Lost Kin is an easy dump of a pretty large amount of essence and is easy to get to from the nearest bench

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Good call guys. I tried approaching from 2 directions and it was blocked but I found another way.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

To me he was actually be the hardest among the three I listed but there's no run back since it's a dream battle.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Which one is lost kin again?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

broken vessel

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it should be mentioned for completionists that eating any ghosts that are not explicitly marked with their own unique pin on the map are not considered necessary snacks for completion and you’re essentially buying yourself a single dreamgate by doing so. the essence thresholds are completely independent from munching inconsequential ghosts

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Counterpoint: The dreamnail must be fed. Let the harvest begin.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fair enough

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I'm so happy! I made it out of the spiky shaft yesterday, and today I beat soul master. After first encountering him yesterday I was sure I was just gonna have to leave him alone until I got some better stuff, he was just so overwhelming and I was a little fatigued from playing this good-rear end game way too much. But a good night's sleep and actually thinking about the fight made him seem almost easy! Mantis city next :) after I check out some old areas with my new ability.

Super late to the party, but I'm completely hooked on this game. I've never really liked metroidvanias before, and I gave up on dark souls, but this I can't stop playing

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
When do I get my grub plush?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finally beat NKG and it feels good considering the number of tries I had to go through. Every boss feels like I need to grind him out to learn but it’s so worth it. It’s weird because usually when I get stuck in a game I tend to give up if I feel I’m not getting progress but with HK I just can’t put the game down.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Finally beat NKG and it feels good considering the number of tries I had to go through. Every boss feels like I need to grind him out to learn but it’s so worth it. It’s weird because usually when I get stuck in a game I tend to give up if I feel I’m not getting progress but with HK I just can’t put the game down.

one of the most 'dark souls' things about this game is that feeling of bashing your head against a seemingly-insurmountable boss, then finally taking them down and having that wave of adrenaline wash over you. anyways i'm still a fair bit away from NKG and can't say i'm looking forward to it... but the nail must be fed

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

look forward to it. especially the music

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I saw people asking about lore videos so here's a guy who does a good job explaining it and being humorous about it.

General Hollow Knight lore and plot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_77BtGR6kk

Nightmare Troupe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VvJse8B4BQ

Vitruvian Grub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKOV1wllNg

Cut content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK82OttWY4M

He has a couple others as well but I don't feel like linking them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SirSamVimes posted:

Counterpoint: The dreamnail must be fed. Let the harvest begin.

Also I'm pretty sure Dream Nailing the ghosts outside the Graveyard is a good thing, maybe even the ghosts in the graveyard, based on how they speak and what the Warrior Dreams say they're probably eternally stuck in Hallownest living out their own demise.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hollow Knight DLC is going to have to compete with monster hunter world :|

Also is this the Hornet DLC?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Turtlicious posted:

Hollow Knight DLC is going to have to compete with monster hunter world :|

Also is this the Hornet DLC?

No, this is the third and final free content update.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good Lord Hollow Knight, every time I'm about to start getting serious on a play through (soul master wall always makes me lose interest,) there's some new major free content coming. It's insane.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love that they are making so much money but they're giving away the content for free, when that DLC drops I gotta wonder how many people are gonna day 1 buy just on people knowing the hollow knight dudes are cool.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Turtlicious posted:

i love that they are making so much money but they're giving away the content for free, when that DLC drops I gotta wonder how many people are gonna day 1 buy just on people knowing the hollow knight dudes are cool.

Team Cherry has basically earned complete "day 1 buy" goodwill from me until they gently caress something up badly.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Can someone give me a vague hint as to where to get the stomp to break the ground?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's in this zone: the City of Tears. Spoiler padding.
Alternatively, you have to do a certain thing to get it: beat a boss. He's pretty easy to find, but he's not directly on the main path; you may have skipped past him.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 1, 2018

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I got spooked after deep nest (plus the bosses that await), and so then got back into splattin' 2 for a period of time cause its happy

need to get back into the bug land though

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I did some exploring, found the grey mourner and she's given me a flower, to get to a zone I apparently haven't found yet, without getting hit or taking a stag ride.

Your flower's probably hosed lady, sorry.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

tithin posted:

I did some exploring, found the grey mourner and she's given me a flower, to get to a zone I apparently haven't found yet, without getting hit or taking a stag ride.

she has an infinite supply of them

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Her continual exasperation at having to replace the unique last-of-it's-kind flower is worth messing that quest up a few times anyway imo

There's also a lonely someone back in town that might appreciate a pretty flower gift btw

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

tithin posted:

That's some good exploring. My first playthrough of the game, before any DLC and 100% meant 100%, I was stuck at 99% forever, and it was because I couldn't find the grey mourner. I slowly and methodically swept through the entire map three times looking for something to give me that last little bit, and still missed it each time. I eventually had to shamefully look it up on the internet.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally got this game, and it sure is something. It's pretty amazing how good it looks and how atmospheric it manages to be. Meeting the crying caterpillar at the beginning just felt brutal. It's also kinda fun how it doesn't go out of its way to explain how things work, so when you first read the store's list of things, half of them are just some worthless garbage. I sure hope there are more eggs to buy for when I might actually need one.

I'm two bosses in, and exploring the mushroom zone. There's no boss highlighted on the map I bought, so maybe it might be worth poking around in the fog cave at the same time? What I'm really worried about is whether the map bug will be in there to buy from as well. It's neat to try to find my way, but I just get real bad about going without a map. It's like MGS2 all over again.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm two bosses in, and exploring the mushroom zone. There's no boss highlighted on the map I bought, so maybe it might be worth poking around in the fog cave at the same time? What I'm really worried about is whether the map bug will be in there to buy from as well. It's neat to try to find my way, but I just get real bad about going without a map. It's like MGS2 all over again.
Did you buy the quill? I think Forbidden Crossroads is the only map in the game that makes it obvious where a boss is. You'll have to stumble onto the rest of them as you wander.

You're not getting the fog zone's map for a while, but for now you're fairly restricted in where you can go in there, anyway, so it's not a big deal.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I dream nailed the Gravetending dude thinking I could read his mind like the others, and he disappeared instead :(

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
On the bright side, finally beat Soul Master.

Shade Soul with Grubsong+Weaversong+Shaman Stone+Spell Twister+Defenders Shield is a deadly combo

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm slowly making my way through my first Steel Soul playthrough and trying to be really safe. Can you get to the Crystal Heart without Desolate Dive? I know I can get into Crystal Peak with the Lantern (I already went through it to get to the Resting Grounds) but I can't remember if at some point higher up I'm going to need to break through the floor.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Inferior Third Season posted:

Did you buy the quill? I think Forbidden Crossroads is the only map in the game that makes it obvious where a boss is. You'll have to stumble onto the rest of them as you wander.

I don't know what to tell you, I got the map for Greenpath, and then right in the corner there was a big room I hadn't gone to with some big markings, and I thought "that's probably the boss room" and then it was. There was a neat fakeout moment when I ran into the Hunter and I just noped out of there the first time I met him and he growled at me, but it's all good.

The only real question I have right now is whether there's ever a good time to go back and kill some of those big club-wielding bugs in Crossroads. I need to get their entry in the book, but they are TOUGH. Barely any openings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You'll get a lot of opportunities to kill everything a lot have no fear