Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i believe that solely from screenshots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Tonegawa is anime of the season

i love how inane his problems are and the narrator presents them perfectly

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Which year is Sirius the Jaeger set? It's clearly after the Russo-Japanese War, Shanghai looks well past the Qing, Tokyo looks very Taisho. But a sizable chunk of the cast is Russian, and I see no evidence for a pretty important event in Russian history... like say a revolution, or a civil war.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Which year is Sirius the Jaeger set? It's clearly after the Russo-Japanese War, Shanghai looks well past the Qing, Tokyo looks very Taisho. But a sizable chunk of the cast is Russian, and I see no evidence for a pretty important event in Russian history... like say a revolution, or a civil war.

It’s an AU. So, for instance, the Taisho era has gone on a lot longer than it otherwise would have.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well poo poo, then idk what's going on, because the same historical forces that destroyed the Tokugawas and the Qing also destroyed the Romanovs.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Started the "Demon-Lord" anime the other day. Pretty much a dumbed down version of Overlord with elf tits. Jiggling aside, show is fun enough but nothing spectacular.

How is Overlord III? Season one was great but season two dragged loving on with the world building. I love me some story development but holy poo poo was I done with Overlord II by about episode 7. Are we gonna get back to Ains and Albedo beating the poo poo out of people soon?

Watching Isekai Izakaya and it feels like a better version of Restaurant to Another World. Its simple but enjoyable. Food anime are good.

Cells at Work is also good.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 1, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I enjoyed the initial overlord anime and read the manga, but it seems from what I've been told that after a certain point it just becomes increasingly more elaborate and grotesque slaughter of hero groups and doesn't really do much more interesting like with the lizardmen arc. Someone can counter this if they'd like, I stopped reading it a good bit ago.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
The lizardmen tribes bit was interesting but it dragged on longer than I felt it needed to. The following stuff with Sebas was mildly more entertaining but overall, season two was kind of a bust for me.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
overlord is all about world building and drawing out the growth of very human characters and then having them interact with nazarick's larger-than-life cast of overpowered murder demons. it's a surprisingly thoughtful show compared to how it just seemed like the "haha the succubus has a daki of her skeleton lord. rattle rattle" series from the outside. i like it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

I enjoyed the initial overlord anime and read the manga, but it seems from what I've been told that after a certain point it just becomes increasingly more elaborate and grotesque slaughter of hero groups and doesn't really do much more interesting like with the lizardmen arc. Someone can counter this if they'd like, I stopped reading it a good bit ago.

The Workers arc is absolutely the thing in spoilers, but I don't recall anything quite like that after it.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Space Flower posted:

overlord is all about world building and drawing out the growth of very human characters and then having them interact with nazarick's larger-than-life cast of overpowered murder demons. it's a surprisingly thoughtful show compared to how it just seemed like the "haha the succubus has a daki of her skeleton lord. rattle rattle" series from the outside. i like it.
I dunno, the basic premise of "there are other people outside of our small group and they do different things" just feels like something that should be there and doesn't exactly provoke deep thought. The entire lizardmen arc was them bounding together scattered tribes to fight an overpowered opponent. There was some care taken in describing their motivations and history, but nothing that couldn't have been done to the same point in say two fewer episodes.

Overlord has a great world that its filling out, but nothing has been really thought provoking outside of how a few of the Nazarick members like Sebas are starting to do their own things. I like Overlord, but it feels a little muddled in how it wants to play itself off.

On the flip side, a show like Grancrest War has an extremely well thought out world revolving around politics, religions, and such. However the pacing of the the anime (first half anyway) was heinously fast and a lot of poo poo was ill-explained so you just had to kind of roll with the punches and hope you could keep up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnImjHwb7U

a good looking car in modern anime, rare stuff

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that looks really good but also I saw the hammer so that means he's creeping on a girl and ugh, i'm just not up for that kind of nonsense anymore

i know it's like, a huge part of his character but maybe some stuff needs to be left in the 80s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean theres ways of making that kind of joke (guy acts pervy, girl punishes him) that just come across kind of harmless and plenty of reboots of older shows have toned that kind of thing down so idk

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

that look gorgeous

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Oh hell yeah City Hunter! I still own .357 Magnum of VHS. That's good poo poo!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Davincie posted:

this looks very DavidPro

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1024868850007826434?s=19

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Why are there three picutres of the same character there :confused:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That's how you know it's by Adachi

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should I wait for episode 6 of hanebado to start watching or not?

Any others to pick up while waiting for Friday's?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess I willed this into existence because just the other day I was thinking about how there was a modern Adachi series without an anime adaption and that it seemed like the proper time for it to happen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I don’t see why you would wait - it is the show it is (a very silly sports melodrama that’s got enough self-awareness and spectacular animation to go down smoothly). Either that’s your jam or it isn’t.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Grouchio posted:

Nah, go for it. It's a fun weekly watch show, and is very up front about what it is and wants to be (i.e. you can tell after 1-2 eps if you want to keep watching).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Grouchio posted:

Watch Planet With

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Hanebado's melodrama is getting so over-the-top as to be unintentionally comedic, and honestly I'm enjoying it for that. The deadly-serious delivery makes it a lot of fun.

"My pro badminton player mom abandoned me because I lost a match because my opponent held me down and sneezed on me to get me sick" is just the beginning of the madness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

esselfortium posted:

Hanebado's melodrama is getting so over-the-top as to be unintentionally comedic, and honestly I'm enjoying it for that. The deadly-serious delivery makes it a lot of fun.

"My pro badminton player mom abandoned me because I lost a match because my opponent held me down and sneezed on me to get me sick" is just the beginning of the madness.

I’m honestly not sure it’s unintentional. Look at how they undercut the tension in the latest episode with that dumb bath scene. They know what they’re doing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Why are there three picutres of the same character there :confused:

he can do varied character designs, he just decides not to for his mcs as a troll

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

From what I understand, Hanebado is an adaptation of a manga that went through some huge tonal shifts before it settled on being super dramatic. A lot of the stuff that doesn't really fit at the start is a remnant of when the series had a much lighter tone.

I think the should have reworked some things to make them work better but also like, it's fine.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

As an aside, the scans for the manga are now entering the terrifying badminton demons style, and it's good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The series already changed things around a lot. In the manga Ayano plays Connie in the second chapter because there's no extended drama with Nagisa first. She just wins the bet match against Ayano because Ayano unintentionally plays with her racquet in her off hand. It is not explained why.

I know that sounds weird but it's literally what happens. The manga has a lot of things like that.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 2, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I’m honestly not sure it’s unintentional. Look at how they undercut the tension in the latest episode with that dumb bath scene. They know what they’re doing.

I feel like this doesn't really work though because the central character in the dumb bath scene had just finished being The Absolute Worst immediately before that scene, and merrily resumed being The Absolute Worst immediately upon its conclusion.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-08-02/new-ghost-in-the-shell-anime-will-have-2-seasons/.134977

Shinji Aramaki is directing half of the new Ghost in the Shell series so I'm expecting it to be a CG anime since that's what he usually works with when he's directing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like this doesn't really work though because the central character in the dumb bath scene had just finished being The Absolute Worst immediately before that scene, and merrily resumed being The Absolute Worst immediately upon its conclusion.

It’s a message to the audience - ‘these girls are taking badminton way too seriously, and you should not follow their example’. Connie just hasn’t learned it yet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tagajo tumbling out of the closet after Connie shows some remorse.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 3, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not sure if Aramaki is better or worse than Psycho Pass season 2 Tow Ubukata but welp have low hopes for that project

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not sure if Aramaki is better or worse than Psycho Pass season 2 Tow Ubukata but welp have low hopes for that project
Invoke Murphy's Law for this case and you won't possibly be disappointed. :v:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Srice posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-08-02/new-ghost-in-the-shell-anime-will-have-2-seasons/.134977

Shinji Aramaki is directing half of the new Ghost in the Shell series so I'm expecting it to be a CG anime since that's what he usually works with when he's directing.

I guess you must be a "glass half empty" type of person since you completely fail to mention that Kenji Kamiyama, the director for GITS:SAC (a.k.a. the best treatment ever of Ghost in the Shell material) will be responsible for the other half.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The best treatment is the 95 film though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The 1995 film is glacial and boring, and Innocence is even worse about it

While SAC had some slow episodes it never reached the movie's nadir and it frequently solved things at a clip, and it rules.

Also the 95 film has so little Batou in it which is a loving crime

• Locked thread