Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/jacksonpublick/status/1024766894258024448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, I guess I do want a Venture Bros. coffee table book, to join my Ghostbusters and David Bowie ones.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
god drat i cannot believe this book only cost me like twenty five bucks

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah uh, I'm not usually big into buying books-about-shows (or disc copies or memorabilia of any kind) but the absurd price of this and its reputed quality leaves me pretty drat tempted. Doesn't hurt that the creators of this show seem like they'd have a lot of genuinely interesting things to say about it.

...maybe after my next paycheck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you are at all interested in the background and history of this show, it's worth it. Even more so because the history goes back so far. At the beginning of the book. Adult Swim doesn't even exist yet.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I caught up with this show a few months back and lemme tell you that (outside of some jokes early on that haven't aged well) this show is great, and so were these first two eps of season 7

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I completely forgot about some of these season 5 episodes. Like the one where Gary accidentally recruits the original SPHINX team.

I thought I was watching one I'd somehow never seen before until Hank showed up in the golden feminine strength suit and I finally remembered it.

Also I just want to say how much I love the Halloween episode, especially the montage of people while Dr Orpheus gives the speech at the end. I love those rare touching moments in the show that arent just more jokes. There's real emotional depth in some episodes.

This entire rewatch has cemented Orpheus and Hank as my two favourite characters by far.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't know how you nerds managed to convince me. I never buy art books. Then I saw that it'd be here by Friday if I ordered in the next hour and eh. Today was payday.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I've never bought even a single piece of tv show memorabilia before so I hope this thing is cool!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I've never bought even a single piece of tv show memorabilia before so I hope this thing is cool!

You could quite literally kill someone with it. The pages are so unbelievably thick that I found myself having to constantly check the page number to make sure I didn't skip over a page.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You could quite literally kill someone with it. The pages are so unbelievably thick that I found myself having to constantly check the page number to make sure I didn't skip over a page.

Yeah, just got mine and weighed it out of curiosity. It's a 5 pound book.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oh, awesome, that's the main thing I look for in just about anything I buy. As long as I'd be able to kill a man with it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm afraid to open this venture brothers textbook. The purchase price was low for something this huge.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

it's like a 350 page dvd commentary. there's a lot of good trivia and tidbits in here about all kinds of stuff. doc named dean after the artist roger dean, who did a ton of prog rock album covers

ahaha the ninja themed restaurant hank and sirena went to is a real actual place in new york. doc hammer and jackson publick went there for research and hated it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_LhkME6Fo

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 2, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rexxed posted:

I'm afraid to open this venture brothers textbook. The purchase price was low for something this huge.

Yours has spiders in it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god page 216 explains the origin of brick frog and i will not spoil it

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

luxury handset posted:

it's like a 350 page dvd commentary. there's a lot of good trivia and tidbits in here about all kinds of stuff. doc named dean after the artist roger dean, who did a ton of prog rock album covers

Is it really trivia when it's already a major plot point of an episode? :v: That's no accident, boy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My preorder was so long ago my book ended up shipped to the wrong apartment and I don't have a hope of driving hours away to grab it! At least I got the digital version for now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

My preorder was so long ago my book ended up shipped to the wrong apartment and I don't have a hope of driving hours away to grab it! At least I got the digital version for now

If you live with your parents, your address will never be wrong.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks to this thread, I just ordered the book! Hurrah!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I got my book today! It's fuckin enormous holy jesus

First insight: Dean and Hank were originally called Dale and Lunk, and looked like inbred 30 year old men

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

luxury handset posted:

the worst part of this is that it's not actually a pun on the actual physical thing named a brick frog

but the best part of it is the entire rest of the story complete with supporting documentation

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I'm still relatively early on in the book but the fact that it contains pages of notebooks and other personal ephemera is my favorite part so far.

Also, anyone else find the origin story really inspirational? I love the idea of Doc starting on the show feeling like he needed to finish his friend's homework, and just to what degree neither had any clue what they were doing.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

luxury handset posted:

Spoil it with spoiler tags for the plebs here who didn't buy the book (me)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Nonexistence posted:

Go Team Venture!: The Art and Making of The Venture Bros. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1506704875/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_10VyBb8E5C9B4

sorry, found that super funny. I've not gotten there yet.

Go Team Venture \/ !!

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Nonexistence posted:

quote:

Brick Frog comes from my childhood. When I was in first grade my mother made this foam rubber frog mask for a school play I was in, which I kept for the longest time. A few years later, my brother and cousin and I used to run around the house and put on stupid costumes and makeup to play superheroes and villains with each other. I'm playing superhero and being serious, and my older brother and cousin were doing it ironically to amuse me. My cousin put on my foam rubber mask and grabbed a foam rubber souvenir stage brick that we got from Universal Studios and he went, "I'll be 'the Brick Frog.'" He made it up on the spot, and it struck me as pure genius. I was ten years old, and thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever heard.

Later I stole it and put it in my first self-published Cement Shooz comic book. I put it in the show as a nod to my cousin.

You have to get the book if you want to see the actual photo of Jackson Publick wearing the frog mask as a child, though.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

Arrath posted:

So I'm gonna just bail in on 5k unread posts.

Holy poo poo the new season is in like 5 days!!!

As I haven't really been keeping up to date, are they doing another t-shirt club or anything? I still sleep in my old OSI shirt, its comfy as gently caress.

It is amazing how long my shirts lasted after years of wear. I am sad American apparel won't be making the new shirts because they were so comfortable.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress it, I'm ordering this book right now. I'm almost as excited to read it as I am for the new season (Which I still can't believe is airing this weekend!)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I am getting so antsy about the shirt club. It owns being a financially stable adult unlike the first time I bought the shirt club.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The spoiler tags are greatly appreciated. I am dying. August 5 can't come soon enough.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Consummate Professional posted:

I am getting so antsy about the shirt club. It owns being a financially stable adult unlike the first time I bought the shirt club.

On the one hand I don't wear t-shirts. On the other hand I'm earning approximately 3x what I was earning last time there was a t-shirt club and really wish I had that Hank Bucks beach towel...

I'm sure they'll launch it day-of for maximum hype. I... might just do it because I love this show so much.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

feedmyleg posted:

On the one hand I don't wear t-shirts. On the other hand I'm earning approximately 3x what I was earning last time there was a t-shirt club and really wish I had that Hank Bucks beach towel...

I'm sure they'll launch it day-of for maximum hype. I... might just do it because I love this show so much.

Aw man, I deployed like a week after the beach towel offer went out and couldn't exchange my Hank Bucks. I still have them just in case

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
To the book-havers: out of abject curiosity, does it mention/show if they ever actually drew Anna Baldavich with a face? Obviously not showing her implicit butterface is kind of part of the gag, but still kinda curious.

Similarly; any comments/insights into the Sovereign's true form beyond what Brock was told by Monstroso?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Her design is a big blank head to make sure the animators never drew it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Rand Brittain posted:

Her design is a big blank head to make sure the animators never drew it.

Or to hide the fact that she really is, well was, Phantom Spaceman.

Hah. Figured it was that though. And nothin' on the Sovereign I takes it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remembered I was out tomorrow, so watched the first two episodes.

Sheila really needs her own code name; Dr. Mrs. The Monarch was funny, but it's run its course, although I wouldn't be surprised if it comes up this season with her being so high ranking in the guild.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like they've been calling her Sheila more often than not these days

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Lady Au Pair and Queen Aetheria are jokes Ive never figured out.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

I don't think they are. They're just dumb supervillain -- err, antagonist names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TK-42-1 posted:

The former I think is just a boob joke, and the latter is just something meant to go with Phantom Limb's whole theme