Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I would just like them to remove being able to mark a drat air drop for sure. Also, just take away the physical marker on the gameplay. When you ping something just have it go only to the minimap so you have a general direction and location of where someone is and then still have to call out "tree, rock, building, other spot" and your team doesn't get to just look straight at some brightly colored marker and start shooting. That's insanely cheap gameplay in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised that they haven't made a basic response system (other than the not entirely useful emotes) considering how many people group random for duos/squads. I can see why they might want to encourage vocal communication as a gameplay aspect, but a lot of people around the world play Pubg and aren't necessarily going to share a language. So something that bridges that gap sounds A-OK to me. The less I need to wrangle which rock my friend saw a bush creep behind, the better :V.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea, they should just start showing automatic blips on the minimap when you spot someone or hear gunfire or footsteps from that spot. The flare guns should be activated and when fired into the sky a spy plane that lasts 3 minutes will fly by and expose all the enemies into red dots on your minimap.

:D

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

A1RM4X (Twitch streamer) had the idea of the marker not being able to be seen through walls/trees/etc. Basically meaning you have to have line of sight on where the marker is to be able to see it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Appoda posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised that they haven't made a basic response system (other than the not entirely useful emotes) considering how many people group random for duos/squads. I can see why they might want to encourage vocal communication as a gameplay aspect, but a lot of people around the world play Pubg and aren't necessarily going to share a language. So something that bridges that gap sounds A-OK to me. The less I need to wrangle which rock my friend saw a bush creep behind, the better :V.

Played with a someone from China that used google translate on his phone to communicate. It was hilarious and you have to give him props for at least doing something to communicate with teammates.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You can also bind your ping to shoot which makes a ping wherever you are also shooting.

How do I do this?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Accretionist posted:

How do I do this?

I believe the marking is called "ping" in your controls. I think it's all the way at the bottom. Just make the bind whatever your fire button is. I would also recommend having a secondary button mapped to it as well, as to not HAVE to shoot to mark something.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I would also recommend having a secondary button mapped to it as well, as to not HAVE to shoot to mark something.

I like this idea. Not wasting precious ammo and not giving away your position if it is not inportant enough to Mark a thing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You can also bind your ping to shoot which makes a ping wherever you are also shooting.

I don't think you can bind two things to the same action anymore; they supposedly removed that functionality when people were doing macros so they could do the weirdo crouch jump to get through windows before vaulting was implemented (the dark times)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 2, 2018

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I love the ping markers, it's so nice to have an easy way to cut out shity call outs

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think I prefer markers in the game world.

I don't want to play a game of figure-out-the-best-way-to-describe-a-location-as-a-substitute-for-being-able-to-point-at-things.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Or a game of why-cant-my-teammate-talk-like-a-normal-person.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
But that's what this game is. It's a survival game where being able to spot and call someone correctly is your chance at survival. Being able to ping down a brightly colored marker complete with the correct distance for your whole team to see and shoot at takes zero skill and is an extremely cheap game mechanic. It's lame.

I feel like this argument is definitely "good players (~*hardcore*~) vs. bad players (casual)" which is why it's sparking such a large debate.

I think I would honestly be entirely fine with "ping this location and it only shows up on mini-map," as long as they got rid of being able to ping the crates in the air. I actually thought that's what this was going to be and was happy. I was sick of opening my map and marking buildings.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 2, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I dunno why they didn't start with "press button on terrain to place minimap marker on that location" and then when that goes over great, test "press button on objects to mark them" and "press button to place in-game marker on object" afterwards.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

But that's what this game is. It's a survival game where being able to spot and call someone correctly is your chance at survival.

Says who, and why should I listen to them?

I wouldn't say I'm hardcore or amazing, but, i'm usually in the top couple percent on the various pubg rating sites...which either means a lot or next to nothing depending on what we're talking about.

Of course, I mostly play solo, so there's that...

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Thermopyle posted:

Says who, and why should I listen to them?

I mean if you don't agree with the definition of the genre of the game then I don't know what to tell you. If you don't think being able to spot someone and call it correctly helps your chances of survival, then I also don't know what to tell you. This isn't a playstyle argument here. This is literally the game.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the cars only crew is still at it.

here's our newest highlight reel video

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I mean if you don't agree with the definition of the genre of the game then I don't know what to tell you. If you don't think being able to spot someone and call it correctly helps your chances of survival, then I also don't know what to tell you. This isn't a playstyle argument here. This is literally the game.

Yes, it definitely helps your chances of survival.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

When are they going to add a tracer dart pistol?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You’re wrong. Solo is the only mode that matters.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

VulgarandStupid posted:

You’re wrong. Solo is the only mode that matters.

I actually forget that solo exists and these markers do nothing for it (other than being able to mark a crate, which is real dumb). I think I've finally burnt myself out on playing this game solos.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

lmao “definition of the genre”.

Can’t wait to bind the marker to mouse 1 so I can continue to have fun playing the game with the homies.

Solo blows, duos where it at.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I mean, it's a survival last man standing

He replied with a "says who" to me saying it's a survival game. That's what it is. :shrug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I mean, it's a survival last man standing

He replied with a "says who" to me saying it's a survival game. That's what it is. :shrug:

I've never heard anyone besides you claiming that audibly calling out the positions of poo poo is a required, necessary, or important part of battle royale games. I mean, maybe I've just missed the conversation but I'd be surprised if that was the case.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 2, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
shroud said it is bad, so me, a rabid twitch viewer, must agree

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, to be clear, I haven't had a chance to play it yet so maybe the implementation is bad.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's less that the implementation is bad, and more that it is a massive change to the flow of the game. The new marker can replace a voice callout to a far more accurate degree, and in less time. Not only will it give you direction, but it shows you on your screen exactly where they marked.

Swag has a pretty good clip that explains some of the issues with it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GleamingHelpfulAyeayeKeyboardCat

The marker isn't good or bad, but it does remove one aspect of skill the game had in order to make it more accessible. It's going to be polarizing just like TPP vs FPP.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cinara posted:

It's less that the implementation is bad, and more that it is a massive change to the flow of the game. The new marker can replace a voice callout to a far more accurate degree, and in less time. Not only will it give you direction, but it shows you on your screen exactly where they marked.

Swag has a pretty good clip that explains some of the issues with it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GleamingHelpfulAyeayeKeyboardCat

The marker isn't good or bad, but it does remove one aspect of skill the game had in order to make it more accessible. It's going to be polarizing just like TPP vs FPP.

Except you can choose to play TPP or FPP. You can't opt out of this.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Well, they turned it into a survival game where clicking on a tree puts a brightly colored spot on everyone's screen for 5 seconds instead of having to look at your compass numbers and communicate that effectively to your team along with a physical description. I get that there are people who don't want to do that and this obviously makes call-outs 10000% easier.

I just like high skill ceiling games, which is one of the reasons I play this game. They lowered it with this decision and I'm loud and mad online about it. It's another reason why I want the loot upped on Erangel/Miramar, in order to decrease a bit of the early game RNG and possibly allow people to drop at smaller locations and actually have level 1 stuff with an AR after 30 seconds (and also allowing for a better and more vibrant mid game).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cinara posted:

I can't say I've ever felt skill in describing the locations of things was something interesting or fun to optimize for.

I'm kind of surprised that people find that to be an enjoyable thing. I've always found it to be a somewhat irritating limitation in games that only exists because we can't point at poo poo like we can in real life and in general the simulation we're playing in just lower fidelity than we'd like. I find the in-game marker to be a natural progression to making up for this shortcoming of the medium, just like voice comms was a natural progression from text chat.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Thermopyle posted:

I can't say I've ever felt skill in describing the locations of things was something interesting or fun to optimize for.

I'm kind of surprised that people find that to be an enjoyable thing. I've always found it to be a somewhat irritating limitation in games that only exists because we can't point at poo poo like we can in real life and in general the simulation we're playing in just lower fidelity than we'd like. I find the in-game marker to be a natural progression to making up for this shortcoming of the medium, just like voice comms was a natural progression from text chat.

Team based communication in games represent an enormous skill. Calling out things correctly in this game and games like counter-strike represent an absolute enormous advantage over other teams/players that cannot do that effectively.

Now, literally anyone can do it without even speaking a word, and it's done in less than one second.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Can't wait to mark my teammates and have them turn on one another :unsmigghh:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

"He's over there!" says everyone ever

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Team based communication in games represent an enormous skill. Calling out things correctly in this game and games like counter-strike represent an absolute enormous advantage over other teams/players that cannot do that effectively.

Now, literally anyone can do it without even speaking a word, and it's done in less than one second.

Yes, like I've said its definitely a skill and definitely aids in survival.

My point is that I think its stupid and boring that that skill has an effect on who does or does not win.

edit: to clarify, there's a difference between team-based communication and describing the location of things in a 3d space. It's the second thing I'm talking about.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This also makes it much easier to play with random people who don't mic or don't speak your language.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Trabisnikof posted:

This also makes it much easier to play with random people who don't mic or don't speak your language.

Nah they'll just ignore it like they ignore everything else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I definitely think it should just be a map marker, as is it reminds me too much of Battlefield currently. And I like Battlefield, but I don't want its doritos spotting in every game.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Too many tabs, wrong thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is there a limit to how many doritos you can mark at a time?

Theoretically, I'd prefer a max of one on-screen dorito per teammate that lasts a few seconds.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Mordja posted:

I definitely think it should just be a map marker, as is it reminds me too much of Battlefield currently. And I like Battlefield, but I don't want its doritos spotting in every game.

A map marker is the best solution. You can still call out building/rock/tree or "2nd floor right window" but it makes it a bit easier to figure out where someone is talking about. Being able to see the markers in game like you're wearing some sort of AR getup is too much and will be exploited like crazy to make impossible shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thermopyle posted:

You're sort of hitting the nail on its head there, talking about simulation fidelity. But I think there are two issues at play here. Difficulty doesn't have all that much to do with simulation fidelity.

PUBG is fundamentally a simulation game. By that, I mean it makes no effort at all at plot, it just throws you into a fight to the death. There is no tutorial, no voice acting and very bare-bones in game descriptions, so you're left to figure out the mechanics on your own (or google for info).
The lack of plot means you must "bring your own immersion", and the fidelity of the simulation becomes paramount. I mean, there are no fantasy elements like the construction mechanic in Fortnight, no crafting system like in Realm Royale, no sci-fi setting like in Islands of Nyne. Not even an explanation for why a hundred people are jumping out of a plane. This is very fragile, isn't it? From this perspective, modifying gun balance is unimportant, but adding markers in the game world seems wrong because they're "magical". It's not supposed to be science fiction where everyone has a retinal implant. The feature doesn't seem consistent with the basic philosophy of simulative immersion because it adds another thing that can only be explained by "well the marker is drawn by your gaming PC you dummy, stop asking where it came from".

(I'm sure there are people who would prefer if the game didn't have the HUD compass or mini-map, either, though those players have probably moved back to ARMA3 by now, where they can flatten a paper map and lay a compass on it, do some trigonometry and then call in a mortar strike. Good riddance says I, because PUBG is to me the perfect combination of tough as nails yet not too detailed.)

Difficulty is a different aspect, which this change also happens to affect. I'd say it raises the skill floor as well as lowers the ceiling.

The objective (chicken dinner) is very simple but very difficult to achieve. Of course, the player base that remains after one year of availability will have embraced this ideal, and value the punishment equally much as the victories. I suspect that if this feature had been in PUBG from the beginning, people wouldn't find it strange at all from a difficulty angle, it's just an oddly large simplification to introduce at this point.
Players who learned to do effective callouts, keep radio disciple etc take pride in that. I completely understand if you don't find that fun, but it seems we're agreed that removing it removes a necessary skill from squad play. Every quality of life feature runs the risk of making some thing too easy, alienating players who have put hundreds of hours into overcoming that feature's absence.

I don't enjoy squads much, because my friends don't play, and doing random squads in Europe is a ridiculous proposition. Almost no one can communicate effectively in English, and thus many play their own game, like dropping solo to loot and die in the blue. It has ended in frustration every time I've tried it. I expect it's similar in OC. Maybe for us, this raising of the floor will be a very good change?

For myself, the immersion change trumps the difficulty change, so I'm against it. Markers on the mini-map only seems cool, because you could really start indulging in long range sniping if you get a 15x...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 2, 2018