Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mod idea: Bodies Heat-to-Power generator. Looks like SS13 furnace, takes in corpses and "compost" burnable material that gets made every butchery or cooking to make power. Burn corpses gives normal pawns -5 "We burned corpses" debuff before going to -0 "We burn corpses, get over it" after a few days. Psycopaths and other weirdos get +10 "We can burn corpses?!" buff. Any human-like on map gets these buffs, so burning your enemies for fuel might not be smart for a Hospitality/Trading oriented colony.

Also, why isn't there a mod using Hospitality code and special "vending machine"-like object that can make silver by selling supplies or drugs to visitors, plus giving positive or negative effects on faction relations. (Nobody wants to have their people doped up on cheap smokeleaf, but they sure do pay a lot more for it.) Perhaps even "taverns" going off of rooms to create some silver for having a high-fun, comfortable environment for guests. Gives roads some use beyond premade walkways, and could maybe springboard turning a colony into more of a merchant/service economy for expensive parts and building supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Monowhatever posted:

Some mods use it, but after a certain point you getting attacked by such a large raids you might need someone on full time body burning duty

Feeling the plight of the proletariat there comrade.

Can someone explain what happened to this dead Thrumbo I found?

I didn't do it this time.

Katt fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 2, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I'm kinda loathe to find out what it means to be extremely rectal cored

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ILL Machina posted:

I'm kinda loathe to find out what it means to be extremely rectal cored

Yeah someone got real creative and not the smallest victim either.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ILL Machina posted:

I'm kinda loathe to find out what it means to be extremely rectal cored (extreme)

Fixed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Monowhatever posted:

Some mods use it, but after a certain point you getting attacked by such a large raids you might need someone on full time body burning duty

Nah. Even once your corpse freezer is full there's no reason not to just leave excess corpse heaps around the edge of the map for your carnivorous and omnivorous animals to nosh on. The crematorium needs an additional carrot or stick to be really useful.

Carrot: It could produce something useful as a byproduct. I think this is what most mods do?

Stick: Rotting corpses could increase the chance of disease and vermin. This is more realistic. The reason we don't leave corpses or carcasses laying around IRL is because of disease and vermin. It doesn't guarantee an outbreak even in real life, but it does make it more likely and if you leave heaps of rotting corpses around your town for years eventually you're going to have a bad time. Burial and cremation are equally effective, but eventually the electricity cost of cremation beats the labour and land cost of burial.

e: Of course having your buildings full of animal feces would also increase the chance of disease IRL, and this doesn't seem to be a problem in game as long as they aren't making GBS threads in the hospital. So who knows.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does... rectal core tell you what it is if you mouse over it..?

E: also if your corpse ocean gets too full just hock a molotov into it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hygiene as a whole is just sort of considered taken care of in game and i'm not sure it would be worth the effort to do such a complex topic justice, particularly considering how gross players can get whenever poo is involved in any form

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ONI has a very simple waste management system, where you only deal with polluted water and even that is horrifically complex forcing you to account about 40% of your base to sewage and plumbing.

Plumbing is no joke.

Plumber simulator.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Coolguye posted:

hygiene as a whole is just sort of considered taken care of in game and i'm not sure it would be worth the effort to do such a complex topic justice, particularly considering how gross players can get whenever poo is involved in any form

Of course somebody already did the effort. And I must say it's quite thought out, with sinks, showers and toilets that you can restrict by sex, boilers (cold showers put you in a bad mood) and radiators, water pumps and reservoirs, and need to dispose of waste (either in barrels or by plumbing a sewer exit in some lake or river - downstream from where you get your water if you don't want to get diarrhea)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Dub's Hygiene at least shows there are some ways to make a decently interesting system out of hygiene. Though it's very abstracted still.

ffs beaten about a mod. rip

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Bad Hygiene owns a lot especially since I'm the exact kind of weirdo that loves having tons of little systems to futz around with :tem:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Having a bunch of little needs that need to be accounted into base design makes everything feel more organic. Figuring out where to stick washrooms and water plants and the ac systems is a great part of the fun now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm aware of that mod but it really doesn't even cover half of the problem. it involves humans pooing and showering, but it doesn't model animal cleanliness, corpse effects, persistent soiling and stains (organic stains have real disease imports even if 'cleaned'), and more. all of that is really, really important to properly modeling hygiene and how it would handle disease spread and plague vulnerability.

which should really just accentuate why i say what i do it not being worth the trouble. like facebook aunt said, there kinda needs to be both carrot and stick, and the hygiene problem is one that is all stick.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Real Talk though: what the gently caress is a rectal core

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Coolguye posted:

i'm aware of that mod but it really doesn't even cover half of the problem. it involves humans pooing and showering, but it doesn't model animal cleanliness, corpse effects, persistent soiling and stains (organic stains have real disease imports even if 'cleaned'), and more. all of that is really, really important to properly modeling hygiene and how it would handle disease spread and plague vulnerability.

yeah that would be kind of unfunny, dubs bad hygiene is cool though, gives you a little bit more of a planning challenge without requiring an excessive amount of resources / attention or significantly impacting the vanilla game. Plus it's fun to make gold-lined ensuite bathrooms for your best colonists and communal showers + a bucket to poo poo in for the plebes / prisoners. I like it a lot, I think that's the right amount of "simulation" and anything more would just be grognard-y :v:

though, some kind of penalty for keeping 10 muffalos piled up in a 4x4 barn in perpetuity would be alright too

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

ONI has a very simple waste management system, where you only deal with polluted water and even that is horrifically complex forcing you to account about 40% of your base to sewage and plumbing.

Plumbing is no joke.

Plumber simulator.

ONI also has polluted dirt and polluted oxygen, both of which are waste.

The cool thing about ONI though is that everything is recyclable/reusable, so you can take the output waste from one process and use it as input in another process. It's quite wild.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TorakFade posted:

though, some kind of penalty for keeping 10 muffalos piled up in a 4x4 barn in perpetuity would be alright too

Give animals critical mass if you keep too many together with walls to reflect the moo-ons then they explode and cover everything in a 40 tile radius in poo poo.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 2, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Too many animals together forms a gestalt consciousness that begins summoning dark beings from beyond the void to destroy their captors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Coolguye posted:

which should really just accentuate why i say what i do it not being worth the trouble. like facebook aunt said, there kinda needs to be both carrot and stick, and the hygiene problem is one that is all stick.

There are carrots to be had.

Disease. Right now there is a default chance of disease outbreak every year. Maybe having great hygiene could drop that chance by 50%. Even in the jungle you're less likely to get sick if you keep clean. Terrible hygiene would make it worse. Average hygiene would keep it the same as now -- average perhaps meaning not having any high tech hygiene systems installed, but you have enough guys on cleaning duty that indoor filth doesn't hang around for weeks, and you also don't allow livestock into the food storage, eating, and sleeping areas.

Filth is valuable if it is processed correctly:
-Soil fertility. Either in a low-tech compost heap/trench or a high tech reactor. Turn corpses, filth, and organic trash like spoiled food and old cotton or wool clothing into compost that can turn soil into rich soil for a year. Or it could be used to build soil floor tiles over stone or sand tiles: turn your processed filth into ideally located farms and greenhouses. That would be swell.
-Electricity. Waste-to-energy incinerator that directly turns filth into electricity and/or heat.
-Fuel. Let a refinery turn filth into biofuel. Basically an abstracted version of the waste-to-energy plant.

Mood bonuses:
-Most people enjoy having a wash. Having hot water is a bigger bonus. Using good soap is an additional small bonus.
-Most people enjoy clean clothing. A lot of people don't mind putting on the same thing they wore yesterday, or even sleeping in their clothes and wearing the same thing every day (especially when camping or whatever) but clean clothing is nice. (The laundry facility could also be used to remove the D tag from clothing--the clothing is still old and worn, but it doesn't look/smell like somebody died in it anymore.)
-The toilet could be a joy item. :v: Taking a poo poo in a place that doesn't smell like poo poo may be the best part of your day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the hygiene mods already does some of that, people really like having swanky shitters.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Danaru posted:

Real Talk though: what the gently caress is a rectal core

I feel like this is too important to let go.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
(Extreme)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you heard 'em ida inquiring minds want to know

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
My googling has turned up nothing for what mod adds it.

Add me to the curious list.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really need a tooltip for rectal coring.

Is rectalcore (extreme) a new synthwave genre?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rimworld: No Man’s Core

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I really need a tooltip for rectal coring.

Is rectalcore (extreme) a new synthweave genre?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
So when you shoot a deer you have to do something with its rear end to keep the intestines from spilling poo poo on the meat. Most people cut around the rear end in a top hat and pull it out and tie it off. Anyways when describing this prcedure ive always heard it described as like coring an apple so imo this procedure on an animal or person is an anal coring.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I think this person may have a mod installed that allows you to remove many parts.

One of his animals has a new rear end. Or one of his colonists has a Thrumbo rear end

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Yeah someone got real creative and not the smallest victim either.

post ur sexmod list

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
And you thought the horn was the valuable part!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

DogonCrook posted:

So when you shoot a deer you have to do something with its rear end to keep the intestines from spilling poo poo on the meat. Most people cut around the rear end in a top hat and pull it out and tie it off. Anyways when describing this prcedure ive always heard it described as like coring an apple so imo this procedure on an animal or person is an anal coring.

Yea but why is there an (Extreme) label? Can only tie it off so hard.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

DogonCrook posted:

Well deer hunting doesn't sound as fun anymore...

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Eltoasto posted:

Well deer hunting doesn't sound as fun anymore...

Well now they have a tool called a butt out. Its basically a t handle buttblug with rear facing spikes. You jam it in twist then pull and its done. I have one but honestly it seems more distastefull or disrespectful so ive never used it. I know that doesnt really make sense but whatever. I guess there you go, extreme anal coring.

E: i feel like yall need the mental image of the device. Behold, the butt out, tool of extreme anal coring.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hunters-specialties-butt-out-2-big-game-dressing-tool

It's weird to say "coring" because you cant core a hole, but if someone put a gun to my head and told me to figure out how to core a hole id probably whip this out.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 3, 2018

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DogonCrook posted:

Well now they have a tool called a butt out. Its basically a t handle buttblug with rear facing spikes. You jam it in twist then pull and its done. I have one but honestly it seems more distastefull or disrespectful so ive never used it. I know that doesnt really make sense but whatever. I guess there you go, extreme anal coring.

E: i feel like yall need the mental image of the device. Behold, the butt out, tool of extreme anal coring.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hunters-specialties-butt-out-2-big-game-dressing-tool
Well, I learned something today.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Really, now I'm just imagining what it looks like after the first use.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Motherfucker someone added anal coring to the game. I have to ask the op of this topic, how many rectally-cored but still living prisoners does he have?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

DogonCrook posted:

It's weird to say "coring" because you cant core a hole, but if someone put a gun to my head and told me to figure out how to core a hole id probably whip this out.

I would have felt better about it if if it was black and metal and looked like a butchers tool and cost $150.

As opposed to to a bright orange discount kitchen utensil.

Monkey used to be one of my hardest workers. Then she went on a go-juice binge (no chemical interest talent) and she got 50% brain damage and now she's no good as a worker.
I couldn't bare to just harvest her organs after a lifetime of service so I took out her high grade bionics and put her in retirement. As pension she got free drugs for the rest of her life and she's making the most of that.

Edit:

Monkey went into 8% conciousness from withdrawals which might make this the easiest rehab ever.

Katt fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If you've got epoe, a brain chip will fix the brain damage.