Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

Die Hard 3's plot about bombing crowded spaces and public transport and its approach to handling racial issues hasn't aged spectacularly well.

Apart from that it feels like two scripts mashed together and none of them really screams Die Hard. It worked better in more constricted settings. An office building is fine, an airport is fine, the whole of New York... eh.

The first Die Hard movie to actually begin its production as a Die Hard movie was the fifth one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think for a while Tears of the Sun MIGHT have been a potential Die Hard movie script that they chose to just make into its own film, instead.

Other than that, I remember Corona's Coming Attractions having a lot of leaks in late 90s/early 00s about a Die Hard script that was going to go underwater. Essentially someone built Sealab and a Die Hard movie breaks out.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Perhaps the same could be said of ALL religions

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mu Zeta posted:

Guardians cast posted a message of support for James Gunn

But I think the real conversation is about the signatures. Chris Pratt has the penmanship of a child. Bautista's looks really elegant. Pom's is just... wow, intense.

A slight derail, but I think no matter what that it's going to be too awkward for Gunn to come back as director for the time being, even with this support from the cast. There's a lot of reasons I'm saying that, too. It's not all one thing or all another...

My guess Disney is really hoping for a meeting in the middle situation where they will find a director who Gunn will give an official public blessing to as a "Trust this guy like you'd trust me" to take over GOTG3 and fans won't instantly hate while Gunn steps into a Producer role with writer/consultant credit for a few years until Disney gives him something else to do on a more directorial level, again.

Given past events, if Disney and Gunn would make professional and personal invitation to someone, say specifically, Edgar Wright, I could see that being touted as a possible solution.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JediTalentAgent posted:

A slight derail, but I think no matter what that it's going to be too awkward for Gunn to come back as director for the time being, even with this support from the cast. There's a lot of reasons I'm saying that, too. It's not all one thing or all another...

My guess Disney is really hoping for a meeting in the middle situation where they will find a director who Gunn will give an official public blessing to as a "Trust this guy like you'd trust me" to take over GOTG3 and fans won't instantly hate while Gunn steps into a Producer role with writer/consultant credit for a few years until Disney gives him something else to do on a more directorial level, again.

Given past events, if Disney and Gunn would make professional and personal invitation to someone, say specifically, Edgar Wright, I could see that being touted as a possible solution.

Nah, it's bullshit. It was literally an alt-right setup to get him fired for criticising Trump by stirring up hysteria over bad jokes that he'd since apologised for and deleted, long before he was hired by Disney. It deserves no credit and Disney was stupid to cave to tiny pressure from literal Nazis.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Nice article about the bind Disney is in.

Possibly best scenario: Gunn steps aside but endorses new director. Goes on massive image rehab gamut on (I can’t believe I’m saying this) responsibility of using social media.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Surely it's not such a complicated moral quandry, they can just reinstate Gunn and tell Mike Cernovich to go gently caress himself. What's the downside of that? A few nutjobs who believe in pizzagate don't go and see the film? :v:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pilchenstein posted:

Surely it's not such a complicated moral quandry, they can just reinstate Gunn and tell Mike Cernovich to go gently caress himself. What's the downside of that? A few nutjobs who believe in pizzagate don't go and see the film? :v:

Where's the upside for Disney, though?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Cernovich & his ilk are pretty good at negative campaigning. You think Disney wants to deal with their own version of what happened with Ghostbusters: Answer the Call?

Wait, they did have to deal with this to an extent with Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser
The very idea Disney would lose money on GotG3 even if Hitler directed it is ridiculous.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, it's bullshit. It was literally an alt-right setup to get him fired for criticising Trump by stirring up hysteria over bad jokes that he'd since apologised for and deleted, long before he was hired by Disney. It deserves no credit and Disney was stupid to cave to tiny pressure from literal Nazis.

Just to make sure we got all the facts straight, the bad jokes he apologized for and deleted were homophobic sex blogs about superheroes.

The stuff Cernovich shared was new to the general public and hadn't been addressed before.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That changes nothing about what jeditalentagent said. You're being naive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The guy directed Troma movies full of rape and incest jokes. There is nothing new to this, and no significant outcry over bad taste tweets. Literally no one cares except a handful of internet loonies no one cares about and literal Nazis.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Another issue, too, is that this isn't the first time Gunn's directorial position on GOTG has been controversial due to things said in social media, is it?

While this time the push was originated from a more conservative crowd, about 5-6 years ago, just as production of GOTG1 was starting, there was a similar push to have him removed at that by what would probably be considered a more left-wing crowd for a posts on a blog he made about regarding some gay and lesbian comic book characters. I recall there were some serious petitions and efforts at the time for his removal then, too.

https://www.glaad.org/blog/director-james-gunn-apologizes-anti-gay-and-sexist-comments-blog-post
Given that was a pretty big story at the time in geek circles as it was happening, it seems now largely forgotten.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Perhaps a new thread could be made for discussing Gunn and the GOTG endorsement letter? I know this is backseat modding and I apologize, but it's not really about irritating movie moments and more about directors and companies navigating through public employee gently caress ups. Isn't there a thread about celebrity mishaps in GBS? The conversation might be better suited there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I kind of second it because I have no idea what it's even about and don't care enough to look it up, but also don't care about having to scroll past the post like I do with all the other comic book movie/starwars posts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

value-brand cereal posted:

Perhaps a new thread could be made for discussing Gunn and the GOTG endorsement letter? I know this is backseat modding and I apologize, but it's not really about irritating movie moments and more about directors and companies navigating through public employee gently caress ups. Isn't there a thread about celebrity mishaps in GBS? The conversation might be better suited there.

It should probably go in C-SPAM lol

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I kind of second it because I have no idea what it's even about and don't care enough to look it up, but also don't care about having to scroll past the post like I do with all the other comic book movie/starwars posts.

TLDR: he posted some real juvenile shock comedy jokes on twitter years ago. The kind of stuff that high school kids say to each other to get a groan or a laugh.

I'm split because twitter is the wide web and anything you put on there is on blast publicly so maybe don't blast that kinda stuff out, and comedians love to use the 'but its just a joke' defense to be able to say anything they want and ignore responsibility for saying lovely things. But on the other hand, the idea that employees can and should be censored by their employers even when they're not representing the company or at work or anything like that is pretty awful. This is even crazier because it was years before they hired him, so its like saying if you make a bad joke you can never recover as a person or grow, you're just forever tainted for that time you made a stupid decision. That's pretty awful.

We like to pretend everybody's perfect and then when its revealed they aren't we demonize them, when in reality most people are at least a little bit lovely and we should accept that and be aware of it but also be willing to forgive people if they grow.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I learned to follow the 1st two Miranda Rights when posting on the internet: You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

value-brand cereal posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864084&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm tired the recent trend of when during an action scene, dirt, blood, debris, etc "platters against the camera lens.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Davros1 posted:

I'm tired the recent trend of when during an action scene, dirt, blood, debris, etc "platters against the camera lens.

Is that even recent?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fairly sure Saving Private Ryan had some in the landing scene. Any earlier?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
War Dogs: why would you keep the only signed copy of a business contract in an unlocked desk drawer? It's like that always sunny episode where they try and get out of contracts by eating them, but in a semi-serious movie. It's what copying machines are for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Same with the drat lens flares and other over the top camera artifacts they add on purpose.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

here it is on wikipedia if anyone wants to read about this. It remains the largest infiltration of the united states government by a hostile force to date.

does it

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like when stuff gets on the camera if it fits the tone of the movie. I also like when movies show the title at the end of the movie.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Its more than just that, or Yoda wouldn't have brought it up. You're the last jedi alive and there's someone who has been sent to you by the ghost of another jedi and he wants to train and has strong force ability, and you nearly turn him away for being too old?

And yet in another time period where there's hundreds of jedi and they have no problem recruiting youth to train in the ideal circumstance, some other guy who is an adult force-sensitive just decides to become a jedi and they're like "okay cool sure" ?

Comeon man its an inconsistency. The star wars universe takes elements that are supposed to have been rare or special in the context of the original trilogy and blows them up into being major things that were commonplace because its easier to latch onto those elements of the existing films rather than come up with wholly creative new things.

Lucas himself did it with Jango Fett and having R2D2 and C3P0 know Obi-wan before Ep. 4.

well the idea of being to old is that an older person has formed more attachments to the world and thus is more vulnerable to falling to the dark side. that's why yoda didn't want to train anakin or luke i don't know poo poo about the other guy.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
That we know of.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The master in Rebels was kind of a lovely jedi anyway so he'd be all about not following the rules.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zaphod42 posted:

Its more than just that, or Yoda wouldn't have brought it up. You're the last jedi alive and there's someone who has been sent to you by the ghost of another jedi and he wants to train and has strong force ability, and you nearly turn him away for being too old?

Lets be specific; He was sent by the ghost of obi-wan kenobi. Does obi wan have a history of making great decisions about who to train as a jedi? I'm trying to remember who the last person to stand in front of Yoda saying Obi Wan wanted him trained was.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

SiKboy posted:

Lets be specific; He was sent by the ghost of obi-wan kenobi. Does obi wan have a history of making great decisions about who to train as a jedi? I'm trying to remember who the last person to stand in front of Yoda saying Obi Wan wanted him trained was.

Uhh, if you are referring to Anakin it was actually Qui Gon Jinn that pushed for his training.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

King of Foolians posted:

Uhh, if you are referring to Anakin it was actually Qui Gon Jinn that pushed for his training.

At the moment that the decision was made, Qui Gon had already been killed. It required Obi-Wan lobbying one last time to take Anakin on as a padawan, and they caved like out of respect for Qui Gon's memory or something.

Also, Yoda acting like he's not going to teach Luke because Luke is too old is just bullshit. Yoda knows exactly who Luke is and why he's there, of course he's going to teach him. It's the entire reason he and Obi-Wan went into exile, so that they could hopefully be able to help spark a revolution against Palpatine when the time was right.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Basebf555 posted:

Also, Yoda acting like he's not going to teach Luke because Luke is too old is just bullshit. Yoda knows exactly who Luke is and why he's there, of course he's going to teach him. It's the entire reason he and Obi-Wan went into exile, so that they could hopefully be able to help spark a revolution against Palpatine when the time was right.

Yeah that part is just some kung-fu movie BS where the student has to prove to the sensei that he REALLY REALLY wants to be trained.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gaunab posted:

I like when stuff gets on the camera if it fits the tone of the movie. I also like when movies show the title at the end of the movie.

Yeah I can't say it's bothered me, that I can recall anyway.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

King of Foolians posted:

And when he died?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SiKboy posted:

And when he died?

Anakin's application was ghostwritten

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I hate that there’s like 10 Star Wars movies and nobody once says they’re gonna do something “by force.”

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

I hate that there’s like 10 Star Wars movies and nobody once says they’re gonna do something “by force.”

Jedad joke

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Obi Wan Dadobi: "That's no moon..."
Obi Wan Sonobi: *turns to look*
Obi Wan Dadobi: :yosbutt:

Obi Wan Sonobi: :suicide:

Obi Wan Dadobi: :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was just wondering how long it's been since I saw some flavor of smilie conversation