Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Hey yo this nicotine gum I'm chewing is to hold off withdrawal from smoking, you brooding there instead of just going outside and having a cigarette is counteracting its intended purpose.
Just go out, I'll see you in like ten minutes. Me trying to quit (or at least cut back) doesn't mean you have to as well. Go on!

Ugh I get this but with drinking. I used to have a huge drinking problem, yes. But you having a glass of wine at dinner isn’t going to set me off on a drinking binge, just have some drat wine! Or beer or whatever, I don’t care. Except keep the wine, especially red wine, far away in terms of distance cause the smell makes me gag. That is all I ask. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In my experience it's always said with an undertone of resentment, like "my life sucks, i would kill for your life, what do you have to be sad about". I get it all the time, like "you get to travel the world, you get to look at space stuff all day, how could you possibly be sad?" It does come from a place of not understanding but I don't think it's ever coming from a place of "trying to help". Telling someone they shouldn't be depressed is never helpful.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

“But you have a job and a nice apartment and x y z!!!” :rolleye:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

“But you have a job and a nice apartment and x y z!!!” :rolleye:

What do I have to be depressed about? (actually said to me on more than one occasion.)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

MightyJoe36 posted:

What do I have to be depressed about? (actually said to me on more than one occasion.)

Same

:smith::respek::smith:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
On a related note I've had people tell me that my chronic lung disease that I've had since I was an infant is "all in my head." What the hell, dude!?

I guess that's way beyond a pet peeve at that point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In that vein

"it's all part of god's plan" or "god doesn't give you anything you can't handle"

Eh, no.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Happiness is a choice uwu"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MightyJoe36 posted:

That's the kind of thing I understand why they say that. It doesn't help 99% of the time, but they're trying to give you reasons for why they think you should be happy. What they don't realize is that you already know that; this isn't new information.

Depression is incredibly complicated, and those who don't suffer, don't get it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Leavemywife posted:

Depression is incredibly complicated, and those who don't suffer, don't get it.

Same with like, all mental illnesses and I guess the frustrating part is that people done even try to understand. You can talk to them for hours and explain in specific minute detail what it is, how you suffer, the consequences, etc, and they’ll still be like “well just go for a walk!”

My favorite is always when people (including AA/NA/rehab people!) “just don’t do [drug]!” Uh dude not very many addicts want to stay addicted. It isn’t fun and if you could “just not do it” there wouldn’t be addicts in the first place you loving rear end in a top hat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"I'm just not gonna do heroin today!'

*Shakes, sweats, vomits, has diarrhea*

*Thinks happily about the peace of the grave*

*Sees untold horrors behind eyelids*

"Well that was great, I'm gonna do it again tomorrow! I feel better already!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

"I'm just not gonna do heroin today!'

*Shakes, sweats, vomits, has diarrhea*

*Thinks happily about the peace of the grave*

*Sees untold horrors behind eyelids*

"Well that was great, I'm gonna do it again tomorrow! I feel better already!"

I tried explaining that to someone once and was just met with "she shouldn't have started using to begin with!"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I tried explaining that to someone once and was just met with "she shouldn't have started using to begin with!"

That's aggravating because nobody wakes up and says "I want a crippling substance problem that will destroy my life!" Most people who use any given drug actually don't become addicts and don't set out to be. Addiction is also very complicated.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"I watched Trainspotting... why would anyone choose a life like this?"

*watches Requiem for a Dream* "See? What's so glamorous about this?!?"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm fully on board with addiction being a huge issue that affects a lot of people, but I still hate the phrase "addiction is a disease." I get that by the broadest definition it is a dysfunction in your brain/body that keeps you needing whatever substance, but to me it feels like they're trying to put addiction on the same level as things like depression or parkinson's. Am I wrong in thinking that addiction is actually usually a symptom of some other problem? Addiction itself is not the disease, your depression or anxiety or whatever is the disease.

My opinion is of course not based on any kind of science or background in the subject (other than my own issues with alcohol), I think those stupid Addiction Network Hotline commercials are just getting really annoying.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Iron Crowned posted:

In that vein

"it's all part of god's plan" or "god doesn't give you anything you can't handle"

Eh, no.

That sucks because it implies that you can't be annoyed about it. You can accept it's all part of a plan, but you can also feel free to feel that said plan sucks! If I was in one of those positions and ended up meeting the guy who made it happen, I'd be all "Dude, what the gently caress? This plan sucks!"

We can complain when work gives bad hours, we can complain when people drag us out to things we don't care about, but when God does it, suddenly it's different!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm fully on board with addiction being a huge issue that affects a lot of people, but I still hate the phrase "addiction is a disease." I get that by the broadest definition it is a dysfunction in your brain/body that keeps you needing whatever substance, but to me it feels like they're trying to put addiction on the same level as things like depression or parkinson's. Am I wrong in thinking that addiction is actually usually a symptom of some other problem? Addiction itself is not the disease, your depression or anxiety or whatever is the disease.

My opinion is of course not based on any kind of science or background in the subject (other than my own issues with alcohol), I think those stupid Addiction Network Hotline commercials are just getting really annoying.

It's all connected. Depression can drive you in to alcoholism, but I don't think it's fair to call it a symptom. Once you get addicted to alcohol it becomes its own issue where it worsens your depression, but you can't even start to treat the depression until you are free from the addiction.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think the one thing that stopped me from being an alcoholic was how much I hated being dehydrated. That was too much of a price to pay while getting real drunk every night.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's all connected. Depression can drive you in to alcoholism, but I don't think it's fair to call it a symptom. Once you get addicted to alcohol it becomes its own issue where it worsens your depression, but you can't even start to treat the depression until you are free from the addiction.

Yeah that makes sense and I don't mean to discount people who didn't start with any major psychological issues either. Like people who start drinking or doing drugs purely recreationally and just weren't ever able to kick the habit. Like a lot of people I started drinking heavily in college and just kind of never stopped. I think my hatred of that particular phrase is just my own irrational peeve.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My office apparently now has a gnat infestation. I've killed at least 10 of them already today. I was worried it was me somehow, but as it's gotten worse, I've noticed them in other areas.

I'm buying a Venus fly trap tonight.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MightyJoe36 posted:

“Ignorant assholes that don’t understand mental illness & make dumbass assumptions”

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Always wondered how you would know it if you had a minor form of depression.

EDIT:

Anyone here with parking/driving pet peeves will love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetEMPrPCF0

Apparently police in Russia rarely enforce certain traffic laws.

Midig has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Aug 2, 2018

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Midig posted:

Always wondered how you would know it if you had a minor form of depression.

Hell, I didn't know it when I had pretty major depression. I just thought I was a broken, useless failure who couldn't hack it the way everyone else seemed to be able to, and that's how it would be for my whole life.

It was actually a huge relief when I finally got sent to a therapist who said "Uh, no, that's not how it has to be forever. We can treat this."

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I’m gonna start honking and/or screaming at bikers and pedestrians who almost get hit by my car. I am the most paranoid driver I know but there’s ALWAYS some moron pedestrian who walks through a DO NOT WALK sign when I have a turn arrow (especially if they’re on their phone) or just now, some psycho biker just CUTS IN FRONT OF ME FROM THE LEFT???? Bikers are supposed to bike on the RIGHT. You and I are lucky I was going 5mph and could slam on my drat brakes otherwise you would be dead and I’d be in jail. From this moment on I’m slamming on my horn on anyone who does either of these things.

Btw side note I’m parked, I don’t type while driving, which is a whole other thing entirely.

E: just noticed some jackass left their big rear end dog in their car and it’s like 100 degrees outside. This isn’t even a pet peeve. This is pure hatred. My phone just happens to be open to this page.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Aug 2, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've called the police on someone for leaving their dog shut up in the car in sky-high summer temps. That's just abuse.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Parasol Prophet posted:

Hell, I didn't know it when I had pretty major depression. I just thought I was a broken, useless failure who couldn't hack it the way everyone else seemed to be able to, and that's how it would be for my whole life.

It was actually a huge relief when I finally got sent to a therapist who said "Uh, no, that's not how it has to be forever. We can treat this."

It's extremely difficult to pin down without outside help, yeah. I thought things didn't interest me, I thought I was incapable of normal tasks, I thought I was romantically unlovable, I never had any energy or drive to do things, I slept whenever or not at all. It all felt "normal". Other people just had a problem with it.

Now I recognize the patterns and self-sabotage because of counseling and reading, and am able to say, go for a walk or drink a glass of water before I end up on a couch in a darkened room thinking about how I'll struggle with money and happiness until I die.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

Same for me. I thought all that emptiness was part of my anxiety until I mentioned to my dad about how the medication I was on treated depression too, but hey, I don't have that!

Then came the talk that, no, he's actually pretty sure I *am* depressed too, I was just only listed as having anxiety due to a panic attack in the 5th grade that I STILL have no idea what was prompted by, listed the symptoms, and I'm just going, "...Huh" in my brain. Then I went to Google and that turned to "OH!"

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
In that same vein, the number of assholes who get weirded out/judgemental/preachy as soon as you mention that you're in/ have been to therapy is just astounding. I've been going off and on since I was a toddler, and I'm pretty sure it keeps me more sane/functional than I would be without it!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Aug 5, 2018

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Those god damned metal plates they lay down in the street to cover up unfinished work by a road crew. I hate slowing down for them, I hate driving over them even at a reduced speed, and I have the stubborn certainty of a credulous stay-at-home mom posting a Facebook comment about "toxins" that they are loving up my tires and shocks.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

In that same vein, the number of assholes who get weirded out/judgemental/preachy as soon as you mention that you're in/ have been to therapy is just astounding.

This, along with the ones who do the same for anyone taking antidepressants and/or anti-anxiety meds. "It's a crutch"; "You're just weak."

Yeah, and you can't go five minutes without smoking a cigarette, or stuffing your fat pie hole, and you need 2 Vicoden when you stub your toe.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MightyJoe36 posted:

This, along with the ones who do the same for anyone taking antidepressants and/or anti-anxiety meds. "It's a crutch"; "You're just weak."

Yeah, and you can't go five minutes without smoking a cigarette, or stuffing your fat pie hole, and you need 2 Vicoden when you stub your toe.

There’s many studies showing links between statements like the ones you used and the people making them being full of self loathing, depression, and a myriad of other problems. These manifest in the actions you listed (eating, drugs etc) as well as things like correcting other people’s grammar and personal attacks on others for no reason.

Btw, you used “vicoden” when it should have been “Vicodin” you complete goddam idiot

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Another tip-off is when anyone tries to minimize your problems by saying, "That's normal! Everyone is like that!" No, not everyone is like that...but that person probably is, and either is un-self-aware or in denial.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

oldpainless posted:

There’s many studies showing links between statements like the ones you used and the people making them being full of self loathing, depression, and a myriad of other problems. These manifest in the actions you listed (eating, drugs etc) as well as things like correcting other people’s grammar and personal attacks on others for no reason.

Btw, you used “vicoden” when it should have been “Vicodin” you complete goddam idiot

poo poo, I didn't even know you could read.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MightyJoe36 posted:

poo poo, I didn't even know you could read.

I’ve been able to read for years!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

parents that scream at their kids in public

I don't like hearing kids screaming at all but like you're honestly worse, tbqh, imo

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

I’ve been able to read for years!

More like oldilliteracyless.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Snoo posted:

parents that scream at their kids in public

I don't like hearing kids screaming at all but like you're honestly worse, tbqh, imo

There was one mom at the water play area at the zoo who had no chill, she couldn't just let the kid play like all the other parents there.
she kept repeatedly yelling his name every time he did a Kid Thing with Other Kids and of course his name was Cayden. Not sure about the spelling but who loving cares, it is just the most irritating name to hear repeated every thirty seconds in that voice.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wife and I plan on having kids somewhat soon and I'm probably going to whistle at them the same way I do with our dog. Will this be more obnoxious than constant shouting, or less? I have not told my wife about this plan. My grandpa used to whistle at servers in restaurants, I do not do that at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Inspector 34 posted:

Wife and I plan on having kids somewhat soon and I'm probably going to whistle at them the same way I do with our dog. Will this be more obnoxious than constant shouting, or less? I have not told my wife about this plan. My grandpa used to whistle at servers in restaurants, I do not do that at least.

:chloe: How about talking to them???? Normally???