Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I don't know if Ubuntu (well AppArmor) has support for this or not, but if you have selinux, you should also have policies for the container itself.

CoreOS does this automatically (svirt and selinux), as does RHEL/Fedora, through container-selinux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

I don't know if Ubuntu (well AppArmor) has support for this or not, but if you have selinux, you should also have policies for the container itself.

CoreOS does this automatically (svirt and selinux), as does RHEL/Fedora, through container-selinux
Docker has a default AppArmor policy that's applied to new containers, but it's fairly minimal.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Question, I've been tasked to clone a virtual machine running some old lovely software so that they can mess around on the clone without affecting the production machine. We don't have a dev environment/network so this machine would run along side the other one on the same network but with just different IP and hostname.

How do I actually achieve this in vCenter 6.0? I know there is a clone button but I've been reading that I need to edit the .vmx file after cloning and change the UUID and other people have said I need to sysprep the machine after the clone.

Can anyone clarify the exact process of cloning a VM and bringing it up on the same network?

edit: Also we have Veeam B&R 9.5u3, can I skip the whole vCenter thing and bring a copy up with this instead?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 12, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Veeam can replicate the VM for you, use that to do this. You can re-IP the box as part of the replication task as well.

If it's domain joined then bring it up with the network disconnected the first time the replica boots, remove it from the domain, reboot, reconnect the virtual network and then bind to the domain with the new hostname.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Veeam can replicate the VM for you, use that to do this. You can re-IP the box as part of the replication task as well.

If it's domain joined then bring it up with the network disconnected the first time the replica boots, remove it from the domain, reboot, reconnect the virtual network and then bind to the domain with the new hostname.

Doesn't replication keep the two VMs in sync? I want them to be completely independent.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 12, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can use the replication job to clone the VM as a one-time thing, you don't need to keep it in sync.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

You can use the replication job to clone the VM as a one-time thing, you don't need to keep it in sync.

I see. Couldn't I just use a VM Copy job then or is that not the same thing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Veeam Zip will do it. Just a backup and a restore.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Been having some weird performance problems with my CentOS 7.5 VM on Windows host. It seems like gnome-shell will randomly decide to start consuming 25% of CPU and then everything slows down to a crawl. Tried updating to latest packages, latest VirtualBox, latest windows OS updates, BIOS updates on my laptop, etc. Performance is fine for a little bit after boot, but inevitably turns to molasses.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Virtual boxx

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

fletcher posted:

Been having some weird performance problems with my CentOS 7.5 VM on Windows host. It seems like gnome-shell will randomly decide to start consuming 25% of CPU and then everything slows down to a crawl. Tried updating to latest packages, latest VirtualBox, latest windows OS updates, BIOS updates on my laptop, etc. Performance is fine for a little bit after boot, but inevitably turns to molasses.

I'm guessing it's some redraw issue linked with Virtualbox's mediocre 2D/3D acceleration. Maybe try disabling that?

Or try a headless VM?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone find themselves extremely frustrated by Solarwinds VMAN?

My company got it instead of VSOM because it integrates with Solarwinds Orion, but good Christ what a clunky, unusable abortion of a reporting system this thing has.

I for the life of me cannot figure out how to generate an Oversized VM report, but limit it to a cluster AND have it generate recommendations for export to a spreadsheet.

Solarwinds product are by far completely unusable by the layman.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone remember what that Powershell PowerCLI script that you can use to gather a whole bunch of information (hba's, vmkernel IPs, etc) across your entire vCenter environment?

My brain is failing me right now.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wicaeed posted:

Anyone remember what that Powershell PowerCLI script that you can use to gather a whole bunch of information (hba's, vmkernel IPs, etc) across your entire vCenter environment?

It's not a script but are you thinking of RVTools?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wicaeed posted:

Maybe you are thinking about vcheck -> http://www.virtu-al.net/vcheck-pluginsheaders/vcheck/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

cheese-cube posted:

It's not a script but are you thinking of RVTools?

RV Tools rocks. My coworker loves leaving snapshots out there.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Do you have the Large Snapshots alarm configured? That has been a blessing for getting people to clean up their messes

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

At the last place I was at we had a PowerCLI script that would run daily and send out report of all snapshots. I'm pretty sure whoever set it up just found the script somewhere online but it was good to have alongside alarms.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Would making a virtual Linux box inside Windows allow you to use NordVPN on the programs inside the box while keeping your normal Windows connections raw?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Question Friend posted:

Would making a virtual Linux box inside Windows allow you to use NordVPN on the programs inside the box while keeping your normal Windows connections raw?

If you set it up properly, sure

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Methanar posted:

If you set it up properly, sure

What's the proper way to set it up?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Question Friend posted:

Yes, very easily.

Does anyone have any software recommendations on mounting a (non encrypted) VHDX in a Linux box?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Question Friend posted:

What's the proper way to set it up?
you literally just setup your VPN in the VM, the windows box will just bridge the traffic.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FungiCap posted:

Yes, very easily.

Does anyone have any software recommendations on mounting a (non encrypted) VHDX in a Linux box?

Guestmount from libguestfs

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I've been working on setting up syslogs from a VMware 6.5 environment, and having a bitch of a time with the ESX part (vCenter is going well).
In the ESX hosts, I set the variable "Syslog.global.logHost" to poing to my syslog server, enable the firewall rule on the host, and messages pour out. However, the bulk of the messages are "debug", and I couldn't find a way to get them to step down to "info" or even "warning".
So I gave up, and reset "Syslog.global.logHost" to blank, disabled the firewall rule for syslog on the host, and even did a "esxcli system syslog reload"... and messages are still flowing to my syslog endpoint, even 2 hours later.

Now I'm assuming that I'm missing something obvious, and the same solution to make syslogs stop going out might be the same as changing the effective logging levels.
Any ideas?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I did a firmware update on one of my Dell servers. vMotion to the host now takes about half an hour per VM. Away from it takes the normal one or two minutes :(

VMware support was useless, unsurprisingly. I should have checked with Dell first. I will probably do that Monday...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's probably not the firmware that did it, more the act of rebooting after applying the update.

There might have been a config change pending that didn't get actioned until vSphere came back up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Check your mtu from end to end, vmkping various sizes, check your vmkrrnel responsible for vmotion, draw everything out on paper, assume nothing. Invariably this comes down to, "oh gently caress did I do that?" in my experience.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Alfajor posted:

I've been working on setting up syslogs from a VMware 6.5 environment, and having a bitch of a time with the ESX part (vCenter is going well).
In the ESX hosts, I set the variable "Syslog.global.logHost" to poing to my syslog server, enable the firewall rule on the host, and messages pour out. However, the bulk of the messages are "debug", and I couldn't find a way to get them to step down to "info" or even "warning".
So I gave up, and reset "Syslog.global.logHost" to blank, disabled the firewall rule for syslog on the host, and even did a "esxcli system syslog reload"... and messages are still flowing to my syslog endpoint, even 2 hours later.

Now I'm assuming that I'm missing something obvious, and the same solution to make syslogs stop going out might be the same as changing the effective logging levels.
Any ideas?

Ive also run into this and our VMware expert couldn’t fix it :gonk: if you figure it out please let me know!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Potato Salad posted:

Check your mtu from end to end, vmkping various sizes, check your vmkrrnel responsible for vmotion, draw everything out on paper, assume nothing. Invariably this comes down to, "oh gently caress did I do that?" in my experience.

First thing I did. Host A to B vMotions are super slow, but host B to A aren't. That means that MTU and vmkernel aren't it, and vmkpings confirm MTU is fine.

I defintely agree that it's probably an "oh gently caress", but I can't find it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Do you have vmotion enabled on two different vmkernel interfaces? Like, a management interface that is only gigabit instead of 10gbe?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My first thought had something to do with a mismatch on the different ends of an interface bonding configuration

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is the vmotion actually cancelling after an hour, or does it eventually work?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

We have separate vMotion vmknics - this one host that is problematic only has 10 GbE to storage, the rest of its interfaces including the vMotion one are 1 Gb.

vMotions do finish eventually - there is a log file that indicates they are happening at roughly 2 MB/s.

Before this firmware update, everything was working fine, and I didn't make any changes that I'm aware of

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Happiness Commando posted:

We have separate vMotion vmknics - this one host that is problematic only has 10 GbE to storage, the rest of its interfaces including the vMotion one are 1 Gb.

vMotions do finish eventually - there is a log file that indicates they are happening at roughly 2 MB/s.

Before this firmware update, everything was working fine, and I didn't make any changes that I'm aware of

Are the vMotion interfaces on the hosts backed by multiple physical adapters? If so try dropping each to a single active adapter and testing with each one active in turn to see if the issue is the same no matter which adapters are used.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hmm 2MB/s wouldn't actually be all that lovely if you were vmotioning local spinning disk storage under regular load. Except you've probably have centralized storage.

Do you see packet loss?

http://buildvirtual.net/#article/3174

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There were tons of CRC errors on both interfaces and switching the active uplink didn't do anything.

We updated the tg3 driver and started using that instead of the ntg3 one and all of a sudden everything works as expected

:shrug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Happiness Commando posted:

There were tons of CRC errors on both interfaces and switching the active uplink didn't do anything.

We updated the tg3 driver and started using that instead of the ntg3 one and all of a sudden everything works as expected

:shrug:
Ugh, we had a ton of issues with tg3/ntg3 on 6.5, I think we decided we could just leave them on 5.5 until we could replace the hardware.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Okay dumb question about HyperV. From what I'm reading HyperV is a class 1 hypervisor and when it's enabled on Windows, the HyperV kernel is installed as the default booted operating system that will then run your Windows installation as a virtual machine on it. To me this almost implies that I can then patch and reboot that Windows OS without the other virtual machines needing to stop - is that at all true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
No, because the VM services, including device emulation, run in the host partition that you're wanting to reboot.