Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

Someone whose status hasn't yet been confirmed probably shouldn't be able to hold the door open for others but right now it's not so much a door as a tea-towel hung across a barn door opening. so really what's the difference

Also you know here's a thought: Why not just like, let people move here if they want to? Immigration law is basically bullshit. Essentially the ONLY reason to bar someone from entering the country would be if they're like, fleeing criminal charges in their home nation (where such charges are actually justified and not politically motivated).

I can understand the need for border controls for the sake of just keeping track of people, the same way we keep track of regular citizens with stuff like social insurance numbers and so on, but "no, you can't come here" should flat out not be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

The rich truly need to die. Or at least be injured horribly.

How about a guillotine with the head hole shaped like a maple leaf and a roll up the rim head bucket.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also you know here's a thought: Why not just like, let people move here if they want to? Immigration law is basically bullshit. Essentially the ONLY reason to bar someone from entering the country would be if they're like, fleeing criminal charges in their home nation (where such charges are actually justified and not politically motivated).

Is that not what we're checking for, and a big part of why it's taking so long?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

Is that not what we're checking for, and a big part of why it's taking so long?

It's part of it, but bear in mind that refugee status can also be denied because basically we feel like "you aren't actually in enough danger to qualify, so back to your country".

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lobok posted:

Back in the 80s Northern Ontario wasn't all that much farther north than the 401.

Seems like only a few years ago Barrie was nothing but a rural town in bumfuck nowhere that people only knew about because its where you got off the northbound 400 to take a piss or buy weed.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also you know here's a thought: Why not just like, let people move here if they want to? Immigration law is basically bullshit.

That's noble but probably a little bit too utopian to be practical. We aren't post-scarcity yet in many different areas.

A 100% open door policy just doesn't make sense logistically.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Refugee immigration costs resources over the short term, which makes it difficult to just hold the door open to everyone that's applying for refugee status. As a result, the government has to triage which people get greatest priority, and move down the list until their resources are tapped. Unfortunately, it comes to the point where the resources we have cannot meet the needs of everyone that applies for refugee status. It's not so much "you're not in enough danger" so much as "We acknowledge the danger that you're in, but these other people are in greater amounts of danger, and we don't have the resources to help both you and them."

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
We live in a rich and privileged country, we're not running out of resources to help people, we just have a lot of excuses.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Ok, let me rephrase, the government agency that handles refugee claims has finite resources. While they could get more funding, it would require diversion from other government spending- which would send conservative media on a witch hunt- or increasing resources from taxation, which would tank any and all support the Liberal government would get.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Just lol if you think oil isn't going to collapse in price

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Just lol if you think oil isn't going to collapse in price

Then AFP Derek Filterbrand will promise to bring back oil and get elected over and over as Primier but spends all this time running all the gays and immigrants out of Calgary and into Edmonton.

And I don't think Dipshit Doug would get elected as PM as head of the CP; I cannot imagine anyone outside of Ontario and Alberta voting for him. Even Alberta would be tough because gently caress that Toronto elitist.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Harper being a piece of poo poo that was pushed out of Ontario's anus didn't dull any of the electoral enthusiasm for him in Alberta, I don't see why it would be a problem for Doug Ford :smith:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I can understand the need for border controls for the sake of just keeping track of people, the same way we keep track of regular citizens with stuff like social insurance numbers and so on, but "no, you can't come here" should flat out not be an option.

You're doing new immigrants a disservice not providing the resources they need to successfully integrate and obtain employment and/or an education. To be clear by integrate I mean obtain the basic working knowledge needed to live and work in a new country ie what their legal rights are, how to get a bank account and pay taxes etc. Ideally the state provides a basic income/job guarantee and these necessary resources, in which case by all means open the borders. That's not the direction we're headed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/qu...er-insists.html

Pardon my sexism. MacLeod is a lying oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hey thread does anyone know a place where I can watch old episodes of The Daily Show (like the last year or so) online? Like, I know CTV you can watch the last couple weeks but is there somewhere (legal) where you can watch earlier ones?

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Quebec is going to get Prime Minister Ford elected.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Everyone is going to swarm to the territories as climate refugees in 20 to 30 anyway.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the territories are gonna be on fire by then. pretty sure there's an absurd amount of methane under the tundra.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Also, it's poo poo soil, so hopefully you don't like eating.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Amazon Prime flies to the Arctic bro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
And will they keep doing that when no one has any money?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

company scrip is kinda like money.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

toiling away in the amazon mines, thirty km from the poison gas-fueled inuvik hellfires... but it's prime day.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There is no refugee crisis and it's loving shameful to call it that. We should literally disband this country if we can't come up with an efficient way to find to process the claims of people represent 0.1% of the current total population.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

Seems like only a few years ago Barrie was nothing but a rural town in bumfuck nowhere that people only knew about because its where you got off the northbound 400 to take a piss or buy weed.

No one stops in Barrie unless it’s the two floor McDonald’s on the sb 400 which technically isn’t Barrie

Oh and people get weed delivered through Canada post via eDispensarys

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

I've noticed that the one I buy from for has been reducing the variety of things they offer significantly in the last few months.

I figure they are wrapping things up and clearing inventory out before the fully legal government sites come online.

Govt will prob go hard to close all the grey market stuff after legalization.

Was a fun year or two there, especially with the weed stocks boom.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

No one stops in Barrie unless it’s the two floor McDonald’s on the sb 400 which technically isn’t Barrie

That McDonalds closed in the 90s and I was making a joke about this dumb city from 30 years ago. If I was referencing modern Barrie I would say stop to get a naloxone kit on the way to the cottage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DariusLikewise posted:

There is no refugee crisis and it's loving shameful to call it that. We should literally disband this country if we can't come up with an efficient way to find to process the claims of people represent 0.1% of the current total population.

Refugee crisis is the guy in front of you at Tims that speaks a weird sounding language. If they didn't let him into the country you could have your 5th double double already!

Also, Magic cards are going up in price due to tariffs.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
The refugee crisis is wondering why you aren't a millionaire. Must be all the refugees stealing your taxes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I was reading a book yesterday from the late 80s that was talking in its conclusion about the left's political problems in the Reagan era and the author explained it like this: the left's goals are to try and correct some of the power imbalances in our society by fighting against established power structures on behalf of the weak. Because we live in a capitalist society, many of those established power structures are economic in nature, and the way the left can fight them is with political power, i.e. the state. However, the right has been very effective at convincing a large part of the weak (i.e. those on behalf of whom the left are supposedly fighting) that the established power structures in our society are primarily political rather than economic, and so the left's proposed solutions seem like a further power grab by hegemonic political structures, rather than an attempt to fight back against hegemonic economic structures, whereas the right's proposed solutions (a form of "individualism" that actually amounts to transferring more power from the political to the economic realm) solidify those established power structures but have been effectively framed as fighting against them for those who have been convinced that our society's hegemonic forms of power are political rather than economic.

The author's proposed solution was essentially raising consciousness, which I think is much less of an issue in 2018 than it was in 1989, because the financial crisis and the past decade of Occupy Wall Street, Bernie Sanders, Jeremy Corbyn, etc., have done a pretty good job of spreading the populist left message that economic structures and capitalist elites are part of the problem and a major aspect of our hegemonic power structures. Nevertheless, I think the fundamental problem that a large part of our society sees any attempted solution that expands the power of the state as an entrenchment of established power structures has never gone away. This might help explain why politicians like Trump or Ford are so popular: they claim they'll fight all the hegemonic power structures, political and economic (and this is often easy to believe for their supporters when they see how, before taking power, these figures are vilified by both anti-corporate left and pro-corporate right politicians), and now that it's difficult not to admit the economic structures exist they and their supporters often claim the two go together (for example, being against "crony capitalism") but the actual policies they enact are just more of the same transference of power from the political realm (i.e. the realm where poor citizens can actually exert influence through concerted action) to the economic realm (i.e. the realm where wealth is power).

Anyway this is only tangentially related to Mr. The-only-moral-welfare-is-my-welfare, but I thought it was interesting.

Yeah but if I try to tell people that the state is useful to leftism's goals a bunch of people on twitter call me a nazbol tankie and proclaim their loyalty to anarcho communism.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this is really frustrating to me too. Do we not have any mechanism to ensure that programs can survive the transition to the next government? We shouldn’t have to amend every single social program into the loving constitution just so that they can actually survive long enough to be effective.

*edit* I mean I guess the expected mechanism would be “stop electing assholes”, but if there’s anything to learn from the shitshow of modern politics it’s that you need to build your rear end in a top hat-proofing into law. You can’t just rely on voters to revolt when politicians violate the expected norms of government.

you can have programs like CPP where the government cannot touch the money from that program, and changing it requires a majority of provinces to agree (which is why CPP enhancement was actually a pretty impressive bit of political maneuvering on Trudeau's part, legitimately something no one cares about but he actually deserves quite a bit of credit for it). At the end of the day nothing is untouchable, but governments can try to make some programs more difficult to dismantle.

of course there is a fundamental problem with programs like CPP and other major pension plans, in that they take money and invest it in whatever they can to see decent returns, and can be just as bad as any venture capitalist firm about undermining the rights of employees, or promoting harmful corporate practices as long as the big bucks come rolling in. But hey, that's capitalism baby

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 3, 2018

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Testikles posted:

The refugee crisis is wondering why you aren't a millionaire. Must be all the refugees stealing your taxes.

Refugees are causing the Toronto housing crisis. Premier Doug said it a few weeks ago.

All those darn refugees, coming in Canada's backdoor and driving up the cost of our million dollar houses!!!!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jfood posted:

the territories are gonna be on fire by then. pretty sure there's an absurd amount of methane under the tundra.

Permafrost has boatloads of it, as does the sea bed.

Want to know what happens when the planet warms enough for those reserves to be unleashed? Look up the "Great Dying" extinction event.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Dying sounds pretty good tbh

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Want to know what happens when the planet warms enough for those reserves to be unleashed? Look up the "Great Dying" extinction event.

One of my friends is an arch conservative and has kids. It'd probably kill our friendship but I honestly want to point out that he literally has sold out his children's future to be more comfortable. His kids will know famine, war, disease, and death all because he didn't like being told what to do.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Or Clathrate Gun

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/HuffPostCanada/status/1025340552211034112

Abolish Canada

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Love my racist country.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Abolish Canada

:colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The funny thing is it has always been really, really racist and by the ~third generation after they were singled out, the formerly oppressed group joins the oppressors to gang up on the "new threat"

I look forward to 50 years down the road when these new immigrant's grandchildren complain about whoever else wants to move here. I want to see a haitian/syrian on the CBC complaining about American border jumpers trying to escape the Barron Trump regime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Go read the actual poll, it's loving depressing.

http://angusreid.org/safe-third-country-asylum-seekers/

quote:

Notes on Methodology

Since early 2015, the Angus Reid Institute has been asking Canadians a standardized question about how closely they are following the topics of ARI polls. To facilitate easy comparisons across disparate topics, ARI researchers have developed an Awareness Index based on respondents’ answers.

For each issue, respondents are asked to say whether they are “following it in the news and discussing it with friends and family,” “seeing some media coverage and having the odd conversation,” “just scanning the headlines,” or not seeing or hearing anything about the issue.

The index is based on the average response to this question over the years, with greater weight given to the highest level of awareness on the scale, and lesser weight given to the “having the odd conversation” and “just scanning headlines” responses. An “average” issue scores a 50 on the index, with scores higher than 50 representing above-average awareness and scores lower than 50 representing below-average awareness.

On this particular topic of irregular border crossings, more than one-in-three (34%) say they are “following it in the news and discussing it with friends and family.” Another 36 per cent are “seeing some media coverage and having the odd conversation.” One-in-five (20%) are “just scanning the headlines,” and just one-in-ten (10%) haven’t seen or heard anything about this story.

Responses on this topic equate to a score of 62 on the ARI Awareness Index, which is the highest score recorded so far in 2018, tied with the score registered by the opioid crisis in January. This is also the highest score recorded since October 2017, when nuclear tensions between the United States and North Korea registered at a 63.

Not only is this an insanely pro-CPC issue, it's also one that apparently people are actually paying attention to. Dissolve this racist loving country.