Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.
I've kind of browsed the thread, is there an easy recommendation for 27" 1440p? I care nothing for refresh rates or gysnc, etc. IPS would be nice. Recently moved up to a 1070 and would like to move up my resolution. I had a 390 with a monitor capable of 144hz and freesync but hated 24" and didn't feel all that strongly about the refresh even when I was hitting 100+ fps. The VA panel was okay.

I've found a lot of cheap models around $300 and that's the price point I'm likely to get away with as far as my wife goes, but I get cold feet thinking I'm gonna a pick up a stinker. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Geckoagua posted:

I've kind of browsed the thread, is there an easy recommendation for 27" 1440p? I care nothing for refresh rates or gysnc, etc. IPS would be nice. Recently moved up to a 1070 and would like to move up my resolution. I had a 390 with a monitor capable of 144hz and freesync but hated 24" and didn't feel all that strongly about the refresh even when I was hitting 100+ fps. The VA panel was okay.

I've found a lot of cheap models around $300 and that's the price point I'm likely to get away with as far as my wife goes, but I get cold feet thinking I'm gonna a pick up a stinker. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Based on my post right before yours and the research behind it, if you could stretch your budget a bit I would say the Benq pd2700q (330$ on Amazon.com), you get great bang for your buck apparently. No fancy gaming stuff and 60hz only, though, it's a semi-pro monitor.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

TorakFade posted:

Based on my post right before yours and the research behind it, if you could stretch your budget a bit I would say the Benq pd2700q (330$ on Amazon.com), you get great bang for your buck apparently. No fancy gaming stuff and 60hz only, though, it's a semi-pro monitor.

My eyes glazed over on that last post but now having actually read it, excellent post! I was about to ask about BenQ as a brand but looks like you already did the legwork, thanks for that.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Geckoagua posted:

My eyes glazed over on that last post but now having actually read it, excellent post! I was about to ask about BenQ as a brand but looks like you already did the legwork, thanks for that.

I read the colour representation on the BenQ wasn't as great as the Dells (at least, not out of the box) and also the response times don't look good on the BenQs either. As I understand it, the Dell I got is a sturdy workhorse and will do what I need until I can maybe upgrade to something a little larger, newer and pricier.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

runwiled posted:

I read the colour representation on the BenQ wasn't as great as the Dells (at least, not out of the box) and also the response times don't look good on the BenQs either. As I understand it, the Dell I got is a sturdy workhorse and will do what I need until I can maybe upgrade to something a little larger, newer and pricier.

Yeah the Dells are great, everybody says that, but they're also about 100$ more for the same size / resolution / features (and the bigger / higher resolution you go, the more the gap widens). So if you're on a budget, you can get way more monitor at certain price points with the BenQ, but if money is a lesser concern a Dell is probably better.

I like the Dell u2715h a lot actually, but I probably wouldn't spend 450$ for it vs. 330$ for the pd2700q which is pretty comparable (but I don't work in graphics design, it's just a hobby). If you can get a Dell on sale for the same price as a BenQ with the same specs, well, I would go for it too but here in Europe it doesn't seem as frequent as in America

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 2, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is this bad or just mediocre? I found one on Craigslist for $75, and assuming it hasn't sold yet that seems like a screaming deal on 1440p anything. Assuming the quality isn't absolute poo poo.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-IPS-ZERO-G-Monitor-2560x1440-110509/dp/B00DIGC6GO

K8.0 is right, the writing has been on the wall for displays requiring dual-link DVI for a couple of years now, starting with the Eyefinity6 Radeons. Desktops with nVidia GPUs are basically the only place you can still reliably expect to find the port, and now we have a fairly solid leak of a next-gen reference PCB from nVidia that finally drops it entirely. That doesn't mean custom boards won't have it, but at least the first round of 11xx cards will not.

The active adapter required to get a DVI-DL signal from DisplayPort will cost more than the monitor, and if the monitor has any overclocking abilities they will not work anymore.

If you're looking for a cheap monitor for your secondary gaming machine that uses hand-me-down parts then it might not be a terrible idea since it'll get you a few years, but of it's for use on a machine that might get a 11xx or later GPU it's probably not worth the trouble.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

With talk of non-gaming 1440p displays I might as well toss my experience in here, I recently bought a Dell U2717D for $350 and ended up returning it. The main reason was the left side of the monitor being cooler/bluer than the right side. Wouldn't notice it in movies or games, but on anything light colored and static (like many websites) it was really noticeable and obnoxious.

Beyond that I just didn't like the monitor, it felt very cheap. Great aesthetics but the plastic is really flimsy, and the stand was not particularly robust. The OSD buttons also required a ton of force to press which would move the monitor all around.

So not feeling particularly thrilled with the Dell, instead of trying another I opted for a refund and got an HP Z27n G2 instead. Very very happy with it so far, better image quality out of the box I think and definitely better build quality. It isn't as sturdy as the HP ZR24w it is replacing (that thing was a goddamn tank), but still better than the Dell. The only thing I'm not so keen on are the side USB ports. Rather than being on the outermost edge of the monitor, they are kinda of inset on this part that sticks out in the back (where the display inputs are and the stand connects). Inconvenient, but I can live with it. One of the side ports is also a type-C connector.

Oh, and it also can apparently run at 75Hz, despite all the specs only saying 60Hz.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

wolrah posted:

K8.0 is right, the writing has been on the wall for displays requiring dual-link DVI for a couple of years now, starting with the Eyefinity6 Radeons. Desktops with nVidia GPUs are basically the only place you can still reliably expect to find the port, and now we have a fairly solid leak of a next-gen reference PCB from nVidia that finally drops it entirely. That doesn't mean custom boards won't have it, but at least the first round of 11xx cards will not.

The active adapter required to get a DVI-DL signal from DisplayPort will cost more than the monitor, and if the monitor has any overclocking abilities they will not work anymore.

If you're looking for a cheap monitor for your secondary gaming machine that uses hand-me-down parts then it might not be a terrible idea since it'll get you a few years, but of it's for use on a machine that might get a 11xx or later GPU it's probably not worth the trouble.

It's a tough decision. I've got a 970 right now and I'm probably going to go to a 1070 or 1080 before going to a 11xx unless it's a huge jump for around the same money as a used 1070 or 1080.

Is HDMI going the way of the dodo too? It looks like HDMI to DVI is a lot cheaper, and as I understand it HDMI can run 1440p at 60hz? How much latency does that add? It seems like if I was willing to get a new nicer monitor the one I linked would make a pretty good secondary monitor.

I'm not picking up a 1440p otherwise, just looking for a cheap second monitor because trying to follow a Lynda video while working in a VM is really frustrating with just one monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The problem is that the monitors are dual link DVI (not to be confused with DVI-D), which can't be converted cheaply. With say, 1080p monitors, it's cheap and adds no latency to go DVI>HDMI or HDMI>DVI.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

quote:

Is HDMI going the way of the dodo too? It looks like HDMI to DVI is a lot cheaper, and as I understand it HDMI can run 1440p at 60hz? How much latency does that add? It seems like if I was willing to get a new nicer monitor the one I linked would make a pretty good secondary monitor.
HDMI is definitely not going anywhere. It's the standard video connection of the living room and shows no signs of losing that position any time soon. HDMI 2.1 has been released to manufacturers and we'll probably start seeing announcements of hardware supporting it in the next year or so. It switches to a packet-based protocol similar to DisplayPort (also allowing for variable refresh rate signaling) and provides significantly more bandwidth than even DP1.3.

The reason you only see one HDMI port on most graphics cards is that every mainstream GPU's DisplayPort ports are "DP++" ports which can support a HDMI mode and thus only require an inexpensive adapter that's basically a set of level converters to convert from 3.3v signaling to the 5v signaling HDMI wants. These converters can be and often are built right in to cables, so it's basically seamless to use a HDMI monitor from a DisplayPort connection.

The logic seems to be that one native port makes sense to allow for PCs to be conveniently connected to TVs, but that the rest should be DP because you can adapt it to HDMI easily but not the other way around.

quote:

I'm not picking up a 1440p otherwise, just looking for a cheap second monitor because trying to follow a Lynda video while working in a VM is really frustrating with just one monitor.
If it's for a second monitor where you don't care about >60Hz then I'd go for it as long as I could get it and the DP adapter for less than the cost of a comparable DisplayPort monitor.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello thread, I recently upgraded my computer (1070Ti) and now I feel like my current monitor is not up to snuff to handle what I can throw at my PC. I read the intro, read up on monitors as best I could, and looked up local shops to see what they have, and I've narrowed down my options to three, and would appreciate any input on these:

Dell S2417DG: stellar reviews all round, has GSync, but is the most expensive because everyone only sells it at full price, and second hand copies are marginally cheaper

LG 29UM69G: seems to be one of those models for specific markets as not much info on it, Ultrawide (not sure if there are any pitfalls with this), cheapest option due to a shop's stock clearance...like half the price of the Dell, which is the main reason I'm considering it. IPS panel unlike the other two TN panels, which I think makes this the best all-rounder by far. Only 75hz tho, and a "virtually 1ms" response time which seems...concerning...?

Asus ROG PG248Q: stellar reviews too, only 1080p (not really an issue at this size, I feel), and again, only considering due to sale because base price is way higher than the Dell - it's now in between the LG and the Dell

I think the Dell is my dream monitor, but it's quite a bit above the budget I set for myself. The LG is one I never considered at all but from the few reviews I get, it seems fine, though it maxes out at 75hz with no GSync. How much does high hz and GSync help? I've never experienced either and display units here don't really show those off. By all accounts these are big significant changes and that's how I ended up looking at the Dell in the first place.

I put in the Asus just because it's within my budget, so if people can vouch for it I might just go for that. I don't mind 1080 for 24" but not sure if there are unforeseen issues with this series.

Sorry for being vague, this is the first time I'm considering this sort of upgrade so I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions or highlighting the right things. I do use my comp to watch shows, browse the net, etc as it's my day to day device. There's even some photo editing here and there, but I mainly just wanna game better at this point, I think.

For reference, upgrading from a BenQ RL2455HM. In Malaysia, so our promotions probably don't tally with other countries and importing is a massive hassle where you play the Will Customs Hold Your Item lottery.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 3, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Artelier posted:

Hello thread, I recently upgraded my computer (1070Ti) and now I feel like my current monitor is not up to snuff to handle what I can throw at my PC. I read the intro, read up on monitors as best I could, and looked up local shops to see what they have, and I've narrowed down my options to three, and would appreciate any input on these:

Dell S2417DG: stellar reviews all round, has GSync, but is the most expensive because everyone only sells it at full price, and second hand copies are marginally cheaper

LG 29UM69G: seems to be one of those models for specific markets as not much info on it, Ultrawide (not sure if there are any pitfalls with this), cheapest option due to a shop's stock clearance...like half the price of the Dell, which is the main reason I'm considering it. IPS panel unlike the other two TN panels, which I think makes this the best all-rounder by far. Only 75hz tho, and a "virtually 1ms" response time which seems...concerning...?

Asus ROG PG248Q: stellar reviews too, only 1080p (not really an issue at this size, I feel), and again, only considering due to sale because base price is way higher than the Dell - it's now in between the LG and the Dell

I think the Dell is my dream monitor, but it's quite a bit above the budget I set for myself. The LG is one I never considered at all but from the few reviews I get, it seems fine, though it maxes out at 75hz with no GSync. How much does high hz and GSync help? I've never experienced either and display units here don't really show those off. By all accounts these are big significant changes and that's how I ended up looking at the Dell in the first place.

I put in the Asus just because it's within my budget, so if people can vouch for it I might just go for that. I don't mind 1080 for 24" but not sure if there are unforeseen issues with this series.

Sorry for being vague, this is the first time I'm considering this sort of upgrade so I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions or highlighting the right things. I do use my comp to watch shows, browse the net, etc as it's my day to day device. There's even some photo editing here and there, but I mainly just wanna game better at this point, I think.

For reference, upgrading from a BenQ RL2455HM. In Malaysia, so our promotions probably don't tally with other countries and importing is a massive hassle where you play the Will Customs Hold Your Item lottery.

Even if the LG were the same price as the other monitors it would be the best deal. At half the price of the others it is a slam dunk.

I own the LG 29" (I need to sell it because I upgraded to the 34" Alienware) and the LG is great.

It doesn't have Gsync, but at 1080 ultrawide at 75hz your 1070ti will crush any game you can toss at it anyway. Ultrawide is rarely a drawback and is a huge plus in games that support it (almost all new AAA titles). IPS will make the picture much better than the TN panels, and I can speak from experience there is no perceptible response lag at all. I don't know about "virtually 1ms" but in practice it's as good as any IPS screen. "Only 75hz" is quite a lot, it's already in the realm of diminishing returns and past about 90 for me is hugely diminishing. Keep in mind I was paid as a QA Tester to look for frame drops and judder in console titles because I had a better eye for it than and other tester.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
TFTCentral has tested the PG27UQ.

Generally looks pretty impressive, not too different from the other high-refresh 27" IPS panels. That leaves price and haloing as the primary downsides as of now. Hopefully they get a non-HDR variant out soon, as that should address those.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
If I'm doing dual monitors should I be looking at 2x: 24" 2k, 27" 2k, or 27" 4k?

Its at a desk, so normal desk depth is the distance to them.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I need to order a bunch of monitors for my office and am thinking of this one:

ViewSonic VA2359-SMH 23"
https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2359-SMH-1080p-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B01F6UTVBW/

anyone have thoughts on that model? or maybe suggestions for a similar one? I want to keep them under $150 and 23" (24" is okay but most people already have 23" screens and they are big enough)

edit: these are mostly for general office work, anyone doing graphic design has nicer ones. mostly asking because I've never owned any ViewSonic equipment and wanted to know if you guys have any opinions on them

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 3, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

FunOne posted:

If I'm doing dual monitors should I be looking at 2x: 24" 2k, 27" 2k, or 27" 4k?

Its at a desk, so normal desk depth is the distance to them.

What are you using them for? I'm rocking my old 24"1080 next to my new 27"1440 and it's fine for throwing like Netflix or chat or something on the smaller screen while gaming on the big one. I don't need it at all but it works and is cool.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

What are you using them for? I'm rocking my old 24"1080 next to my new 27"1440 and it's fine for throwing like Netflix or chat or something on the smaller screen while gaming on the big one. I don't need it at all but it works and is cool.

Mostly office work, some video, some gaming. My OCD is too high to deal with mismatched monitors.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The pro choice is to have one landscape and one portrait anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Rakuten has the 3418DW back in stock for $836 as of this morning/right now.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wish they'd ship to EU. Even with VAT added it's a good deal.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

alex314 posted:

I wish they'd ship to EU. Even with VAT added it's a good deal.

Same, except I'm looking at the 2017 TCL 4K 55" at $425, fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Palladium posted:

Same, except I'm looking at the 2017 TCL 4K 55" at $425, fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Bet that had no IPS/HDR/ 120+fps tho rite

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Absolutely.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That seems like a bad choice for most applications.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I find that even 24" widescreens get a tad tall for portraits. Not too tall, but it's definitely up there. :v:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They are nice for fitting a whole A4 page in 1:1 size. I've used it to read a book once or twice, but I can't be bothered most of the time. Also viewing angles look off for me on my u2410 when in portrait.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What's the go to for a 27" ips 1440p for gaming?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Truga posted:

I find that even 24" widescreens get a tad tall for portraits. Not too tall, but it's definitely up there. :v:

a 32" widescreen with pivot will be here tomorrow, and I shall laugh at your expense when I will read a whole book on it without scrolling. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Predator.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Acer and ASUS, since Dell/AW stupidly doesn't make a 27" IPS.

There's also AOC, but you're really taking a risk with them, as they like to cut more corners than both Acer and ASUS do.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 6, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I was looking at monitors for just that today; ASUS seems to be the best based on specs. The default calibration profile alone is really something.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Acer and ASUS, since Dell/AW stupidly doesn't make a 27" IPS.

There's also AOC, but you're really taking a risk with them, as they like to cut more corners than both Acer and ASUS do.

Viewsonic makes the XG2703-gs which I own. Its a 1440p 165hz g sync panel like the others.

Pretty good but the green accent look awful tho.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Kinda crappy that everyone (me included) is looking for the same sweet spot - 27" / 2560x1440 / IPS / G-sync - and there are only 4 choices. And of those, the AOC shouldn't even be considered, no one has the Viewsonic in stock, and you're still playing the panel lottery with the others it sounds like.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

utonium posted:

Kinda crappy that everyone (me included) is looking for the same sweet spot - 27" / 2560x1440 / IPS / G-sync - and there are only 4 choices. And of those, the AOC shouldn't even be considered, no one has the Viewsonic in stock, and you're still playing the panel lottery with the others it sounds like.

Regular price on that Viewsonic is $700 though? At $700 I'd probably want to spend another $200 to get the 32" Alienware

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Regular price on that Viewsonic is $700 though? At $700 I'd probably want to spend another $200 to get the 32" Alienware

$136 at the moment if Rakuten still has them in stock, which it seems they don't...at least not at the $836 it was at this morning.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Is there such a thing as a 24'' 1080p IPS G-Sync monitor? It seems like everything I'm finding at 24'' 1080p w/ G-Sync is TN. And IPS G-Sync is bigger than 24'' and 1080p. I'm happy with 24-ish inches for a monitor and don't feel the need to go much bigger.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Short answer, no. Long answer, no and there never will be.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Welp.

Is IPS G-Sync (disregarding my previous size/resolution constraint) desirable? Or am I just expecting too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IPS Gsync is great.