Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why don't any of the huge sportswear brands like Nike have a bike team? It would be a blip on their spreadsheets and they'd be reaching out to a market they don't have much of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You mean big American sports brands, and its because of Lance Armstrong

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

oliwan posted:

why the gently caress are you listening to Lance Armstrong

Eh, some of the stuff he said last year was pretty interesting and I think I'd be mistaken to say he doesn't have a fairly qualified take on some of the things that happen during the tour. This year it seemed like he had way more sponsors so after 5 minutes of him saying 'Patron tequila' I shut it off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

oliwan posted:

why the gently caress are you listening to Lance Armstrong

Are there good sources out there of World Tour level competition discussion?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

nwin posted:

Eh, some of the stuff he said last year was pretty interesting and I think I'd be mistaken to say he doesn't have a fairly qualified take on some of the things that happen during the tour. This year it seemed like he had way more sponsors so after 5 minutes of him saying 'Patron tequila' I shut it off.

lol yeah sure let me listen to and thus support the biggest cheat and the biggest fraud in the history of the sport, who singlehandedly almost destroyed the sport forever... not to mention a truly awful human being :thumbsup:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

oliwan posted:

lol yeah sure let me listen to and thus support the biggest cheat and the biggest fraud in the history of the sport, who singlehandedly almost destroyed the sport forever... not to mention a truly awful human being :thumbsup:

That’s Froome

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

African AIDS cum posted:

That’s Froome

oh, my bad nvm

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
It's a good podcast. Lance is still a dick but Hincapie is great. If you're going to ignore content from morally dubious producers I think you'll be left with PBS and not much else.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Lance is a great listen and has more insight on the sport, historic and modern (and future) than pretty much anyone else attempting a commentary. Was he a cheat? Yes, but so was everyone else who podiumed in those grand tours. It’s the aftermath...the faux outrage, lying, litigation that really made him the biggest douche. I have read memoirs of violent criminals, so listening to a person who cheated at bicycles seems pretty tame in comparison.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TobinHatesYou posted:

Lance is a great listen and has more insight on the sport, historic and modern (and future) than pretty much anyone else attempting a commentary. Was he a cheat? Yes, but so was everyone else who podiumed in those grand tours. It’s the aftermath...the faux outrage, lying, litigation that really made him the biggest douche. I have read memoirs of violent criminals, so listening to a person who cheated at bicycles seems pretty tame in comparison.

Sounds like you are a big retard op.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Who are the clean guys you listen to? I bet your golden savior Tom Dumoulin is even a cheater he just doesn't ride for sky so he's OK, right?

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

oliwan posted:

Its...you?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

oliwan posted:

You're dumb as poo poo.

The Lance podcast is actually the only good thing about the tour.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
WE’RE BEING MEAN

WE SHOULD SLOW DOWN

ONE OF US SHOULD DROP

NOBODY’S GONNA LIKE US

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

goatface posted:

Why don't any of the huge sportswear brands like Nike have a bike team? It would be a blip on their spreadsheets and they'd be reaching out to a market they don't have much of.

Does Nike even sell anything cycling related?

Edit: Also lol at Americans defending Lance Armstrong.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

cebrail posted:

Does Nike even sell anything cycling related?

Nike still make cycling shoes if you're one of their sponsored athletes but you can't get them any other way. Which is a shame as they were quite good from what I've heard.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nike bikey would be such a good team name.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Big article out today saying Dutch athletes are abusing thyroid medicine for weight loss. Hmm

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cebrail posted:

Armstrong seems to put out content that no other World Tour level rider is doing.
Would listen to other people's stuff if it was out there -- so please let me know.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

African AIDS cum posted:

Big article out today saying Dutch athletes are abusing thyroid medicine for weight loss. Hmm

This is maybe the least surprising revelation in the world considering the expose of Nike Oregon Project's cytomel abuse 3 years ago

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Andy Dufresne posted:

This is maybe the least surprising revelation in the world considering the expose of Nike Oregon Project's cytomel abuse 3 years ago

Those Dutch speed skaters winning every medal at the olympics was really shady. And of course Dutchman Leinders at Sky being their doping guru and now Dumoulin doing his thing, something rotten going on in Holland

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cebrail posted:

But but... the great content!!!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

African AIDS cum posted:

Those Dutch speed skaters winning every medal at the olympics was really shady. And of course Dutchman Leinders at Sky being their doping guru and now Dumoulin doing his thing, something rotten going on in Holland

The Dutch did nothing wrong.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

oliwan posted:

But but... the great content!!!

Not sure how you can't separate the fact that he used PEDs, but also puts out better commentary than everyone else. Replace Armstrong with Ullrich, Indurain, Contador, Pantani's ghost, Wiggins, etc. If the narrative is good, I'll listen to it.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 2, 2018

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
On one side, it's been a decade since Armstrong was exposed as a poo poo heel - and he was, and still might be. On the other side, people don't hate Armstrong because of the PEDs, but because the system of lies, abuse and deception that he created that enabled him. While even I have to admit that Indurain probably wasn't clean, at least he didn't ruin other peoples lives while doing it.

So yhea, Armstrong might have changed, and is probably insightful - on the other side, he was a truly horrible person, so I'm not sure I'd be comfortable about giving another chance. It's not like he has expressed guilt for anything other than getting caught.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They're auctioning Craddock's bike to help a velodrome that got hit by Hurricane Harvey:
https://www.32auctions.com/cannondale

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I don't think anyone is forgiving him, as such. He was a pro-cyclist for a long time, and he did some lovely things while being one. His insights and stories and experience can be enjoyed I think without you having to agree with everything he did or the way he acted.
It's like saying you can't enjoy a good heist film because the protagonists are criminals, or a movie or book from the point of view of the bad guy because they are the bad guy and everything they do and say is terrible and should be purged from the earth.

I don't listen to him because I hate listening to podcasts of any kind but I have read some of the transcripts and yeah, they are good and no body else is offering content like that. The closest thing to it I can think of are Phillipa York's stuff for Rouler, or when Eurosport has Sean Kelly commentating and he gives a really good insight or prediction based on his experiences.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

African AIDS cum posted:

Those Dutch speed skaters winning every medal at the olympics was really shady.

While the revelation about doping is a dull surprise to me (there was a lot of overlap between the pro-hopeful speed-skaters and cyclists in my hometown, most of them got busted for dope), part of the Dutch winning everything in speed-skating has always been "no one else takes this poo poo seriously, so we win it all by virtue of being the only serious competitor".

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I don't think anyone is forgiving him, as such. He was a pro-cyclist for a long time, and he did some lovely things while being one. His insights and stories and experience can be enjoyed I think without you having to agree with everything he did or the way he acted.
It's like saying you can't enjoy a good heist film because the protagonists are criminals, or a movie or book from the point of view of the bad guy because they are the bad guy and everything they do and say is terrible and should be purged from the earth.

Yeah but thats no reason to unironically post things like "well everyone was cheating so he did nothing wrong"

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I didn't think that was the point, it was just putting it in context.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

cebrail posted:

Yeah but thats no reason to unironically post things like "well everyone was cheating so he did nothing wrong"

Nobody said this.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nobody said this.

"Was he a cheat? Yes, but so was everyone else who podiumed in those grand tours." - you

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

cebrail posted:

"Was he a cheat? Yes, but so was everyone else who podiumed in those grand tours." - you

Quote the rest of that post maybe? I was saying what makes him really vile in comparison to the others is the poo poo he pulled afterward. I'm glad people listening to a podcast makes you insufferably mad though.

Here's the full quote for posterity.

TobinHatesYou posted:

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 3, 2018

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's what I meant, yes

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
And my point wasn't that he did nothing wrong, but rather he did even more wrong. The second point is I don't care about either of those things because the podcast is fuckin' great.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
When have riders not been cheats? Merckx, Hinault, Indurain - all the greats were dodgy. Armstrong was maybe the biggest cheat of all but if you really want to go the route of never consuming any media that has cheating cyclists in it then just chuck the whole sport in the bin. There's no excuse for it but it also seems like that's just the way cycling is.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Cycling is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (buddy Howl)

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Hell yeah, let’s all take a break from tubeless/union/old doper chat and watch these boys murder their balls to win the big floppy hat or stuffed donkey or whatever it is.

Uran Uran should be in pretty good shape

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Nice to not see Lawson Craddock tailgunning all day.

My fear is that Sky promised this to Bernal and they’re going to choke the poo poo out of it like they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oof, that crash

e: that one Sky rider on the left doesn't look good at all

e2: oh, that's Bernal. welp