Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DogonCrook posted:

There used to be a badass communist propaganda game. It was basically the sims but you had to hand out flyers and give speeches and steal the audience from and undermine other political movements. Real cold war era vibe. I forget what it was called but it kicked rear end.

E:found it, it was, republic the revolution

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic:_The_Revolution

Was it really good? When it came out every review called it an overhyped piece of poo poo so I never tried it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Subnautica - underwater survival game sounds fun in concept, but as realized it's a huge pain in the rear end to do anything

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate all third person 3d action adventure games

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

steinrokkan posted:

Was it really good? When it came out every review called it an overhyped piece of poo poo so I never tried it.

It was alright, I encountered a lot of game breaking bugs that prevented me from completing it though.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I dont remember if I've posted Resident Evil 4 is an overhyped miserable excuse for a game and sucks bigly, but just in case I haven't.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

stardew valley is a boring nothing game that's only marginally better than farmville

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Doubt I'm the first person to say this, but roguelike elements--especially the types of games where you're expected to die, upgrade your character's health/damage/etc, and try again--and procedural generation are usually just game design crutches and poor substitute for actual difficulty.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

randomization is not there for the difficulty dude

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Mordja posted:

Doubt I'm the first person to say this, but roguelike elements--especially the types of games where you're expected to die, upgrade your character's health/damage/etc, and try again--and procedural generation are usually just game design crutches and poor substitute for actual difficulty.

hell yeah

I'm always so disappointed when I hear something about a new game that'll have all of these great-sounding mechanics, and then they'll say "also it's a procedurally generated rogue like" and I'll just sigh. I don't know how much work goes into making a procedurally generated world, but from an outsider perspective it seems like it's taking the easy way out of making a deliberately designed world that's interesting and thoughtfully put together.

On top of that, but it seems like with a few exceptions most of the game worlds I've played in lately have been incredibly bland and lifeless. That new Octopath Traveler game has such a boring overworld. The papercraft thing is a great analogy because it feels like all of these npcs are paper cut-outs. The world between towns is just 'A Environment' with no interesting set pieces or life to them, just big empty paths with treasure chests filled with healing items scattered around.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the only good procedural game is Spelunky, its the only one ever because it actually understands the experience of replaying a game a million times

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Everspace is a great mix of FTL and Freelancer, but having energy recharge/capacity as things that start as pure poo poo and only get better with progression was a bad call.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I'm enjoying Chasm because it does procedural generation pretty well. It creates the entire world in one seed, scatters the gear and progressive upgrades in such a way that you want to want to explore, and you're not completely hosed when you die.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

:agreed:

Meta-progression* in a rogue like is really stupid and the reason I never bought Everspace.

*Unlocking new options/starts like FTL's ships is cool and good. Increasing the player's general power as a matter of course is not.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Procedural generation is implemented poorly nearly every time at the moment, but that doesn't change that it's basically the future. And honestly I'm more curious to see what it can achieve than people can. There is absolutely a strong place for procedural stuff alongside tailored, manmade content.

Death progression as a game design crutch is also only partially right imo. It's probably one of the hardest thing to implement well in a game. Striking a balance where you actually enjoy failing is like gaming nirvana. Dead Cells is a great example of a game where live, die, repeat mantra is actually fun as gently caress. The whole thing is very slick, you can always go pretty far. Dying unlocks both linear and lateral progression for your character.

Generally speaking in DC, you aren't really gatekept massively by lack of upgrades. Most of your deaths are you learning about enemy attack patterns, gimmicks, and so on while building a sort of gradually more effective safety net for players who just suck at the game and die a lot.

Most games with death progression that I can think of handle it a lot better than raw damage/health boosts anyway. Usually there's a little more subtlety at play.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Sardonik posted:

It was alright, I encountered a lot of game breaking bugs that prevented me from completing it though.

Yeah i had to refresh my memory a bit. I never finished it either maybe you couldnt lol i tried a bunch of time even years later so it probably was bugs that stopped me. It was a cool concept and subject matter but it wasnt very hard or deep strategy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I love roguelike mechanics in principle but they do need to come with appropriate challenges and make sense within the context of the game. FTL is probably one of the best games ever made.

Stories in games should only exist to contextualize gameplay mechanics and anything in excess of that makes the game worse. Morrowind's story works because it refers directly to what you actually do as a player in the game (become stronger to fulfill a prophecy about a really strong guy who beats up Dagoth Ur), Shadow of the Colossus I think also has a good story because it doesn't go into useless details about "world building" or whatever and just gives you minimal information that mirrors the minimal style of the game itself. In many cases, like FTL, having an excuse plot or a very simple story is actually better since the game's mechanics just don't require a context for the pleasure of actually playing the game itself, other than "you're the good guy, kill the bad guys". The reason The Last of Us sucks is that it tries to tell a story, except it's a game, but the story has nothing to do with the game it's in in any meaningful way. Same with Bioshock, Skyrim, and so on.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 3, 2018

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Jeza posted:

Procedural generation is implemented poorly nearly every time at the moment, but that doesn't change that it's basically the future. And honestly I'm more curious to see what it can achieve than people can. There is absolutely a strong place for procedural stuff alongside tailored, manmade content.

Death progression as a game design crutch is also only partially right imo. It's probably one of the hardest thing to implement well in a game. Striking a balance where you actually enjoy failing is like gaming nirvana. Dead Cells is a great example of a game where live, die, repeat mantra is actually fun as gently caress. The whole thing is very slick, you can always go pretty far. Dying unlocks both linear and lateral progression for your character.

Generally speaking in DC, you aren't really gatekept massively by lack of upgrades. Most of your deaths are you learning about enemy attack patterns, gimmicks, and so on while building a sort of gradually more effective safety net for players who just suck at the game and die a lot.

Most games with death progression that I can think of handle it a lot better than raw damage/health boosts anyway. Usually there's a little more subtlety at play.

Exactly, good rougelikes are about refining your strategies and honing your skills rather than grinding out upgrades to make the game go from impossible to easy. Slay the Spire is another great game for this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was thinking about roguelikes/procedural generation the other day and wondering why it only seems to work well with little pixel art games. People try to turn it into modern TPS/FPS or whatever and it's always bad.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I was thinking about roguelikes/procedural generation the other day and wondering why it only seems to work well with little pixel art games. People try to turn it into modern TPS/FPS or whatever and it's always bad.

Those games have longer loading times and cumbersome UI's which slow down the flow of the game, which should be as non-tedious as possible in a game where you're supposed to do the same area repeatedly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I would really enjoy a game with the production values of a "real full game" but with the procedural generation of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, having an unknown full layout, but with parts that connect in predictable ways, without relying on metaprogress. The intro for DCSS is always a dungeon and that opens up into a branching set of defined tilesets that branch off each other in the same sequence every time, and the game has an ultimate goal so it can be beaten for real. There is enough length to the game and enough variety in the encounters that a run being easy due to chance is highly unlikely, and you will eventually run into something that will get you killed if you aren't careful because no one build makes everything easy. I'd like a "full game" that does that, but I suppose the market we have isn't really interested in a game of that scope that isn't a highly structured experience.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

If you factor out manufacturing costs, the decision to retain carts was actually better for the N64 than if it had had CD's. The introduction of CD's represented an explosion of usable memory for games, which was usually used to create more assets, often in the form of cutscenes, but also textures and music. Most games of the era didn't know how to properly use all that memory for things that added to the game, and the best PS1 games are the ones which don't indulge in asset bloat or use the extra space very effectively. It wasn't a good business decision to stick to carts but in some ways it does make sense, and at least graphically the N64's games still look okay today because of the relative lack of textures or fmv's and voice acting. The real problem with the N64 was that most of its games were collectathons.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The aesthetics of discs suck. Give me carts any day.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You can't open palm slam a CD into it's drive without probably breaking it, ergo they are inferior to cartridges.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

You can't open palm slam a CD into it's drive without probably breaking it, ergo they are inferior to cartridges.

If you can open palm slam a cartridge and not break the cartridge, console, and the floor, you're the inferior one, buddy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

If you can open palm slam a cartridge and not break the cartridge, console, and the floor, you're the inferior one, buddy

:eyepop:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'd show you what I mean but I'm trying to avoid destroying things lately

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

signalnoise posted:

I would really enjoy a game with the production values of a "real full game" but with the procedural generation of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, having an unknown full layout, but with parts that connect in predictable ways, without relying on metaprogress. The intro for DCSS is always a dungeon and that opens up into a branching set of defined tilesets that branch off each other in the same sequence every time, and the game has an ultimate goal so it can be beaten for real. There is enough length to the game and enough variety in the encounters that a run being easy due to chance is highly unlikely, and you will eventually run into something that will get you killed if you aren't careful because no one build makes everything easy. I'd like a "full game" that does that, but I suppose the market we have isn't really interested in a game of that scope that isn't a highly structured experience.

...diablo?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Dross posted:

...diablo?

Diablo is a start on it, but DCSS has way way more content in terms of variety, and Diablo's branching is heavily compartmentalized. It's not high end production quality and it's a turn-based, tile-based dungeon crawl instead of something you'd expect from a professional company out to make sales, but consider this dungeon branch list. http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Dungeon_branches

If I could get something like that as an action RPG, 3rd person or whatever with all the gameplay trimmings I would expect from a "full game" release, but with the breadth of content of DCSS and procedural worldbuilding, with a defined goal, that'd be ideal for my idea of one of these procedural generation games. Even with Diablo, when they make random dungeons, they tend to have set area structures. In Diablo 3 for example, I know that the entrance to Alcarnus will always be on the right side of the desert and the city itself will always have the same layout. That's fine for the Diablo series, but it's just not as big a game as what I'm talking about. I don't think the game I'm describing would ever get made though, because that isn't gonna sell like Diablo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dross posted:

...diablo?

Not sure if you saw but he says he doesn't want a baby game where every build works and you'll probably never die.

Hope this helps.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Chomp8645 posted:

Not sure if you saw but he says he doesn't want a baby game where every build works and you'll probably never die.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like the opinion of someone who hasn’t seen the endgame of d3 anytime in the last few years

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Dross posted:

Sounds like the opinion of someone who hasn’t seen the endgame of d3 anytime in the last few years

Isn't the endgame of D3 currently just pressing forward into higher and higher scaling numbers such that there will always be a rift difficulty that is impossible to beat, and therefore there is no actual completion of the game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nier Automata is the most overrated game I've played as of recent, the gameplay is asinine and it might be the worst use of Open World I can recall as of late. idk how anyone could replay running towards grey droll places over and over. I've tried to get why this is "god tier" but the story and characters are beyond dogshit. Good for Yoko Taro for getting his lolita wars story made and keeping Platinum alive but gently caress what a pedestal it's given.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DLC Inc posted:

Nier Automata is the most overrated game I've played as of recent, the gameplay is asinine and it might be the worst use of Open World I can recall as of late. idk how anyone could replay running towards grey droll places over and over. I've tried to get why this is "god tier" but the story and characters are beyond dogshit. Good for Yoko Taro for getting his lolita wars story made and keeping Platinum alive but gently caress what a pedestal it's given.

It's up there with Shovel Knight with me in terms of overratedness. I don't know what people see in it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

most unpopular videogame opinion: Platinum as a studio is incredibly overrated

megallica
Nov 4, 2008

Oh god, my brain is full of BEES!!
I'm sick of seeing needless RPG elements in thrown into games. Grinding to pad out the game. Same with definition of an 'open world'. I'm sick of doing chores so I can get to meat and potatoes of gameplay. Not every game needs to be 30hrs long. :mad:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

I like their games and agree with this. Except with Vanquish which is a near perfect game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

maybe you're just underappreciative

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

If you factor out manufacturing costs, the decision to retain carts was actually better for the N64 than if it had had CD's. The introduction of CD's represented an explosion of usable memory for games, which was usually used to create more assets, often in the form of cutscenes, but also textures and music. Most games of the era didn't know how to properly use all that memory for things that added to the game, and the best PS1 games are the ones which don't indulge in asset bloat or use the extra space very effectively. It wasn't a good business decision to stick to carts but in some ways it does make sense, and at least graphically the N64's games still look okay today because of the relative lack of textures or fmv's and voice acting. The real problem with the N64 was that most of its games were collectathons.

Counterpoint, the real problem with that generation of consoles was no one really understanding the best way to create 3D game environments, since that poo poo just wasn't feasible before then, so all of the games on all of the consoles not only look like rear end but play like rear end, too. Things like Voice Acting weren't particularly disruptive (e.g. it worked great in Metal Gear Solid despite having a ton of it) and I don't recall FMVs being a really big thing on the PS1 (I think that was more of a home PC and Sega CD thing that people got over before the PS1 became really popular)

Like Goldeneye was a foundational console FPS but go back and actually play it again, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the mario character is racist towards cro magnon man