Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DisDisDis posted:

The best treatment is the 95 film though

:agreed:

Also Innocence was fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SAC/2nd Gig are the definitive versions of the Major, for me at least.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The 1995 film is glacial and boring, and Innocence is even worse about it

While SAC had some slow episodes it never reached the movie's nadir and it frequently solved things at a clip, and it rules.

Also the 95 film has so little Batou in it which is a loving crime

this persons a huge idiot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DisDisDis posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

Don't sign your posts guys

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DisDisDis posted:

He is right about one thing though, you can never have too much batou.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1025036308509417472

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1025208579073044480

Looking good!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

2nd gig was already a poor mix of plots stolen from movies and idiotic villainry, and arise was terrible so i expect the new gits to continue on the same downward trajectory

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

2nd gig was already a poor mix of plots stolen from movies and idiotic villainry, and arise was terrible so i expect the new gits to continue on the same downward trajectory

I mean, when you compare him to real-life senior CIA officers, Gohda would probably balance out as pretty normal. He’s just a narcissistic fascist with way too much power (and an unhealthy interest in nuclear weapons and mind control), those are a dime a dozen.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 3, 2018

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

I guess you must be a "glass half empty" type of person since you completely fail to mention that Kenji Kamiyama, the director for GITS:SAC (a.k.a. the best treatment ever of Ghost in the Shell material) will be responsible for the other half.

Kamiyama has been working with CG anime as well so that doesn't change what I said. Plus his output this decade has been p weak, his take on Cyborg 009 was dire as heck.

I'd love for it to be good but I'm not optimistic.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
SAC2 was better because the Major finally put on some clothes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bit did it have major changing looks drastically every episode

Wish I could find that screenshot collage of her from each episode, she really got off base style at times, though it was fine.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Largepotato posted:

lol what's the point then

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I haven't gotten the appeal of Promised Neverland yet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm sorry that it broke its promise to you

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm not a big booster of it but it's a classic dramatic thriller with a slow and tense pace and is steeped in mystery, which appeals to a lot of people.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

I haven't gotten the appeal of Promised Neverland yet.

I'm sorry that it doesn't have enough gratuitous rape and murder for you.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it has plenty of gore so i'm not even sure what this post is

anyways please make a dr stone anime in roughly a year when the science kingdom war arc concludes

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Julias posted:

Don't sign your posts guys

Julias posted:

I'm sorry that it doesn't have enough gratuitous rape and murder for you.

Chill out, dude.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Largepotato posted:

she put on her uniform in season 1 tho

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Largepotato posted:

I remember watching GITS for the first time a few years ago and laughing my rear end off when she showed up in some episodes because "I guess it's a 'no pants day' for the Major."

Do they have any kind of dress code? Could Batou just show up for work, sans pants, and go about his business?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The 2nd GIG OP is rad as gently caress at least.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

Do they have any kind of dress code? Could Batou just show up for work, sans pants, and go about his business?

Yes please

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't see how anyone could possibly object to such a thing

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

2nd gig Major with pants was better.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Major getting coyrtmartialed in the manga was a look

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
For killing a child

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Fowl posted:

applying the Major's every day work outfit to the rest of the team would be a big improvement to the show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

For killing a child
Major, you killed a child? INCREDIBLE, that right there is why you're the best

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Ugly sniffle laughed irl

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

For killing a child

Between that and that one scene in Second Gig, I’m beginning to think that leaving the Major around children is inadvisable.

Everything Burrito posted:

applying the Major's every day work outfit to the rest of the team would be a big improvement to the show

More big beefy dudes need to feel confident enough to take outfit tips from Darkseid.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Summer anime popularity rankings

Only for shows that are on NTT Docomo's streaming service, but they seem to have most of the big ones.

Glad to see that Cells at Work is doing well!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

One of the big themes of Oshii's gits movies is a disconnection from your own body, like the major doesn't really see her body as a sexual object and at the end of the first movie completely discards it. I always thought that was rad and handled in an interesting way.

Anyway yea I haven't enjoyed a gits thing since 2nd gig and like it'd be cool if they do something cool with it again but I'm not counting on it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
arise was an au that dared to ask 'what if most of the iconic moments in the franchise happened, except the major was completely incompetent?'

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i liked arise because it put the major in a bunch of b movies except she was a baby disaster bisexual. had they actually been treated like that in terms of continuity it would probably gel better for me, though i'd be a bit embarrassed for the hypothetical older major who still works with a section 9 who saw her that low.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Araki posted:

Only for shows that are on NTT Docomo's streaming service, but they seem to have most of the big ones.

Isekai Maou is above AOT S3! Yesyesyesyes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Araki posted:

Aw, planet with :(

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

an actual dog posted:

One of the big themes of Oshii's gits movies is a disconnection from your own body, like the major doesn't really see her body as a sexual object and at the end of the first movie completely discards it. I always thought that was rad and handled in an interesting way.

it's some real #relatable poo poo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Isekai Maou is above AOT S3! Yesyesyesyes

... why are you so hyped about the underaged slave show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Araki posted:

I hope Tsukumogami is doing well, it's not on there which I hope is because it's not on that streaming service rather than because no one watched it

• Locked thread