Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tribes clones are like Quake 3 clones. The skill curve is too steep to attract a mass audience without big time marketing, which doesn’t occur because the developers are interested in catering to their own very specific idea of what the game should be like (like Tribes, or perhaps like Quake 3) and are not willing to compromise that. There’s nothing wrong with this by itself but such games are also necessarily multiplayer and absolutely require a large playerbase to thrive. There’s a reason why T:A collapsed under the weight of its own microtransactions. It turns out it’s pretty hard to keep the money flowing to support a game where Joe Random moving his guy around based on naive assumptions of how multiplayer FPS games work will get him killed 99 times out of 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Good point. If the endless complaining and vitriol on reddit is any indication, a big part of why Midair died out so quickly is because the majority of people checking it out at launch were coming from T:A and expected free air control and generous jetting energy, ultimately giving up on it instead of putting the work in to get used to T1 style movement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm listening to the Doom episode of Retronauts, which I love in general, but they got how the BFG works completely wrong :colbert:

It is ultra counter-intuitive though, to be fair. The animation directly lies to you about how it works. You either have to test it in detail or ask somebody to find out how it really works.

My mind is still blown though that berserk lasts for the whole level and I didn't know that. Holy poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

doctorfrog posted:

I love lovely polygon explosions

I love gibs

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

My first exposure to SiN as a kid was this full page ad in Computer Gaming World that had John R. Blade shootin some mutants and the text said something like, "His name means more than a weapon" or some such badass nonsense and I was hooked. My comp could never run it and even with the re-releases they're still wonky and don't like modern systems so I've never played past the level after the subway. :\

I still love SiN, tho. I still love it. "I never liked that sign anyway."

GOG version runs fine tbh. Should be able to run on a toaster now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Do you need to do anything extra to run it in widescreen? All this talk about SiN is making me consider reinstalling it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Max Wilco posted:

Do you need to do anything extra to run it in widescreen? All this talk about SiN is making me consider reinstalling it.

Give dgVoodoo a try if it doesn't run right, though I don't play it in widescreen. Normally, you'd only manage to play the game in smaller resolutions, certainly not 1080.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I've had poo poo luck with the GOG and Steam versions. Black screen on the main menu, constantly shifting from the game window to the desktop, and so on. :\

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think one of the funniest aspects of SiN is that the sewers level is skipped entirely if you did the right additional objectives in several previous levels. And a few other levels end up almost entirely skipped depending on how you handled previous things in the playthrough.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I love gibs

lovely polygon explosions + cl_gibcount 255 forever

manero
Jan 30, 2006

TF2 was a gib renaissance. Especially how it called out each individual piece after you died in the freeze-frame.

Love those little bits of bone in the meat chunks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

manero posted:

TF2 was a gib renaissance. Especially how it called out each individual piece after you died in the freeze-frame.

OG Quake TF was too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVJ__rBFxk

That ending :allears:

Man now I feel old

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

I'm listening to the Doom episode of Retronauts, which I love in general, but they got how the BFG works completely wrong :colbert:

The Pokemon episode was the breaking point for me. Not only do they get multiple details wrong within the first 10 minutes, the regulars just keep talking over the guest expert.

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 20, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Copper Vein posted:

I heard some motherfucker was talkin' mess about SiN in here.

SiN's strength is the level design, specifically in the interactivity and explore-ability of the levels; SiN really is the most immediate successor to Duke 3D. While the levels don't look great today, and most of them were never visually interesting, SiN's levels are some of the best examples of the "explore every nook and cranny" style of map design of the late 90's shooters. The levels always seem to have more secrets to uncover, and always reward you for discovering them, similar to Deus Ex. The Sinclair Mansion maps are the game's crown jewels of being visually interesting and holding a crazy amount of secrets.

The starter weapons don't have the punch to them that we expect today, but I feel that this is offset by the locational damage and the fact that you can drop enemies very quickly with headshots. The later weapons are also highly varied and destructive, although the explosions in the game are those lovely Quake 2 polygon explosions and feel weak throughout.

The Wages of SiN expansion is also very good and adds more exotic weapons and level scenarios.

SiN is great. Only buster J.C. types will hate.

Hmm, this is good to know. Honestly, I'm going into SiN blind. I've heard positive things about it but didn't really know much about it otherwise. Coming off of playing a bunch of Quake and Turok recently, the gunplay feels really wrong, but I'll give it another go. I dug Deus Ex's levels.

Also speaking of Turok, Nightdive Studios is having a big sale on Steam at the moment and some things are up to 80% off.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

manero posted:

For some reason, I read this and thought of the end of some movies like Animal House, where they tell you in freeze frames with credits music, what happened to each of the characters. They should do this with body parts. "Your left ankle was trod upon by a medic assisting someone who wasn't as dead as you are." "You spleen was placed inside a pickle jar and forgotten in the back of a refrigerator." "Your heart was eaten by this crow and his mate."

I had one frame saved in TF2 that was just my head, blazing away with a fountain of blood behind it. I like to think it just kept going, and, when the air is just right, you can still see it sometimes, flying among the stars.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I don't really know where to post this (I thought about posting the Infinity Engine thread, since it is Dungeons&Dragons related), but I managed to record the intro for the notorious Descent to Undermountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQDppWzyNh8

I don't know why I did this, but it wasn't anywhere else online, so if you ever wondered how terrible it might be, now you can see for yourself.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Good work on preserving that pile of crap for future generations.

If terrible CG is your jam, then 90s D&D games are definitely where you wanna be...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ODnNDNbMY

Jesus Christ, that character creator.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
loving Descent to Undermountain. I've never played it, but I love it. I wonder just who decided it was a good idea to use the Descent engine for an RPG, no matter how action-y you wanted it.

Edit: I'm not sure I'd ever play it, but I'd buy a "poo poo D&D games" bundle on GOG. Gimme that, and the Pool of Radiance that'd nuke your hard drive when you uninstalled it (and boy did you want to). I did actually find a copy of that in a thrift store and bought it just to say I own it, but I'm weirdly tempted to actually play it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Kins posted:

If terrible CG is your jam, then 90s D&D games are definitely where you wanna be...

Badly aged (bad at the time) graphics be damned, that was :krad:.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

URL grey tea posted:

Retronauts gets a lot wrong. The Pokemon episode was the breaking point for me. Not only do they get multiple details wrong within the first 10 minutes, the regulars just keep talking over the guest expert (female of course) and never let anyone get a word in edgewise while slamming the competitive scene. That podcast is objectively bad.

Bob Servo Mackie seems cool :smith:

I don't seriously begrudge them for screwing up the BFG thing; as someone else mentioned, it's actually very unintuitive. I haven't heard the example you mentioned, but I'm not into Pokemon, so I doubt I'll be catching that episode, as I don't feel the need to catch them all.

Any similar podcasts you'd recommend?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know why I did this, but it wasn't anywhere else online, so if you ever wondered how terrible it might be, now you can see for yourself.

I've played Descent to Undermountain through to completion at least twice and have never seen that before. Ugh, now I sort of want to play it again even with how terrible it is.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Kins posted:

Did that char gen just let you raise your stats however you wanted? The guy just rolled a mage with 18 in everything but one stat (which was 17).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Serephina posted:

Did that char gen just let you raise your stats however you wanted? The guy just rolled a mage with 18 in everything but one stat (which was 17).

A lot of old D&D games let you do that for some reason. At least in Dungeon Hack it made some sense since you were the only character.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've had poo poo luck with the GOG and Steam versions. Black screen on the main menu, constantly shifting from the game window to the desktop, and so on. :\

If you had glide options or dgVoodoo on with something else, it might be interfering with it, because I only don't think you should have problems running an old idTech3 game even on Win10.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

catlord posted:

A lot of old D&D games let you do that for some reason. At least in Dungeon Hack it made some sense since you were the only character.

It's an improvement over the games where it just did the old school pen and paper method of just rolling some dice for each stat. They also had a reroll button, so if you wanted to have good stats, you'd have to either get lucky or spent a lot of time clicking that button.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

catlord posted:

The idea was that you could import your characters from your actual tabletop game and play them through the series. And your half-drow bladesinger TOTALLY got all eighteens look my bro was right there and he confirms it AND HE DID TOO IT WAS SO COOL

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bob Servo Mackie seems cool :smith:

Even Bob Mackey has gotten a little...off, in the last couple of years.

That being said, I haven't listened to Retronauts in a long time, but I remember listening to a lot of the old 1UP-era stuff a few years back. I'm still waiting for that DVD from the Kickstarter, though.

THE BAR posted:

Badly aged (bad at the time) graphics be damned, that was :krad:.

ookiimarukochan posted:

I've played Descent to Undermountain through to completion at least twice and have never seen that before. Ugh, now I sort of want to play it again even with how terrible it is.

As bad as it is, there is something weirdly compelling about the game. I haven't actually played it (the game crashes in DOSBox once I get out of the menu and go to the first area, which is probably a blessing), but for the time, it was a interesting concept. It's sort of like a 3D, 1st-person interpretation of Rouge or Diablo, where you're traversing deeper and deeper into an underground dungeon. Visually, it's pretty bare, but some of the environments, the loading screen renders, and the UI give it this creepy, grungy vibe to it.

Nametag did a play-through of it about a year ago. I've been watching through it, and his commentary is pretty good. First video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJFJlZuOV_Y

catlord posted:

loving Descent to Undermountain. I've never played it, but I love it. I wonder just who decided it was a good idea to use the Descent engine for an RPG, no matter how action-y you wanted it.

Interplay management, I guess. LGR did a video on the game, and tackles some of the history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4E0cgnUYxo

Interestingly, I remember in an interview or keynote with Tim Cain, he brought up that Fallout's development was concurrent with Descent to Undermountain, but there were more expectations riding on DTU, whereas Fallout was more side-lined as B-tier project (something along those lines).

Another interesting fact is that Chris Avellone was the Lead Creative Designer on Descent to Undermountain.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Noah Caldwell Gervais is back with SAD MAX PAYNE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6-4oSTboqE

Japanese Max Payne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f7ZqOThUAQ&t=229s

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 3, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

skasion posted:

Tribes clones are like Quake 3 clones. The skill curve is too steep to attract a mass audience without big time marketing, which doesn’t occur because the developers are interested in catering to their own very specific idea of what the game should be like (like Tribes, or perhaps like Quake 3) and are not willing to compromise that. There’s nothing wrong with this by itself but such games are also necessarily multiplayer and absolutely require a large playerbase to thrive. There’s a reason why T:A collapsed under the weight of its own microtransactions. It turns out it’s pretty hard to keep the money flowing to support a game where Joe Random moving his guy around based on naive assumptions of how multiplayer FPS games work will get him killed 99 times out of 100.

I played T:A for ~100 hours and I can say I never got decent at it, never mind good. Predictive aiming when both you and your opponent are moving at >120km/h and in 3d (unlike most FPS where if you aim to someone running is just movement in 2 axis) is a bitch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GOG's two weekend sales have things of relevance to this thread in one way or another: The Ubisoft Weekend has Far Cry 1 and 2 and some early Tom Clancy games that you probably shouldn't bother with if you're on Windows 10 (I definitely know for sure that Rainbow Six doesn't work), and the Shooter Sale has the STALKER series, FEAR 1 and 2, Devil Daggers, the pre-HD Serious Sams, Requiem, Eradicator and SiN for cheap. Also Killing Time, but we've all bought ten copies of the 3DO version alone by now.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'll give Killing Time a try. I'm probably one of the few people in this thread that never played it, but I'm also most likely the only person that played Dreamkiller and Psychotoxic lovely shlock FPS.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
dear satan, please give us more games with devil dagger's aesthetic.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jose Mengelez posted:

dear satan, please give us a game with devil dagger's aesthetic.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jose Mengelez posted:

dear satan, please give us more games with devil dagger's aesthetic.

:emptyquote:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
We've released a public beta for Forsaken that includes Vulkan support and a bunch of other things:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/668980/discussions/0/1742216747642484066/

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So because I have brain problems, I spent some more time looking into Descent to Undermountain, and I found a way to properly convert the movie files. Turns out they use the .mve file format, which is the same format the Infinity Engine games use. As such, I downloaded a program called NearInfinity, and it allowed me to play the movie files and convert them to .avi files.

Here's the Descent to Undermountain intro, along with the credits and all the other cinematics, now in slightly better quality.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to extract anything else from the game. Someone uploaded the game's entire soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fJxoccm3HQ), so I think there has to be a way to do it.

EDIT: Just something I noticed: it looks like maybe the game originally was supposed to have a subtitle, since in the background of the Interplay screen after the credits, you can see 'Descent to Undermountain' in the upper-right, but in the lower-right, you can see 'The Flame Sword of Lloth.'

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 4, 2018

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Zaphod42 posted:

OG Quake TF was too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVJ__rBFxk

That ending :allears:

Man now I feel old

I'm still waiting for the day when QWTF is somehow revived and has an active community. I'd get aboard that train in an instant.

I miss that game. :sigh:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Hey everyone, Total Recall should have gotten a 90's FPS adaptation in the GoldSrc engine. Or early 2000's in Quake 3. It would have been one of the last to let you carry all your guns and have to pick up health. It would have played like a mix between Half-Life and Duke Nukem 3D. Arnold would have been too busy to record lines so he would have signed off on a soundalike who would have been so bad it would have been absolutely glorious.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Hey everyone, Total Recall should have gotten a 90's FPS adaptation in the GoldSrc engine. Or early 2000's in Quake 3. It would have been one of the last to let you carry all your guns and have to pick up health. It would have played like a mix between Half-Life and Duke Nukem 3D. Arnold would have been too busy to record lines so he would have signed off on a soundalike who would have been so bad it would have been absolutely glorious.

There's no way it wouldn't end up Lithtech. A mix of Half-Life and Duke3D sounds like Sin to me, too.

But you're also totally right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Would it have the lady with 3 boobs???