Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The entire Sony conglomerate would be long dead if it wasn't for the playstation, and as the email leaks proved years ago, the movie people have no loving clue what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does Sony have the rights to a Paste Pot Pete movie

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Stilt-man vs Lady Stilt-man: Dawn of Stilts

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like a stilted premise to me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's high concept.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, who knows, it might have legs at the box office.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We have lofty expectations. We've already started preproduction on the Just Stilts League movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Stiltman movie will not feature any stilts, or men

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Stiltman" is Aardman's next Wallace & Gromit feature, in which Wallace becomes a superhero after eating some radioactive Stilton.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I fell into a cave full of stilts

That's when I knew

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This idea's definitely got legs,hope the performances aren't stilted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The entire Sony conglomerate would be long dead if it wasn't for the playstation, and as the email leaks proved years ago, the movie people have no loving clue what they're doing.

Sony is the only player in a lot of high end film production equipment still.

It's their consumer electronics, except Playstation, that are all doing badly. Not for lack of trying, Sony makes easily the best non-OLED TVs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know one guy who gets inordinately happy to hear about Sony loving up because he still blames them, more than 20 years later, for "killing" Sega and its consoles. Brand loyalty is a silly thing, really.

Should come as no surprise that he's one of the sort who's always going on about how fans deserve a "dark, adult, gritty" take on Sonic the Hedgehog.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Endless Mike posted:

Marvel has creative control over Spider-Man, also, I believe.

Sony technically has full creative control, but they willingly gave it up for Homecoming.

Marvel has first run creative control, but Sony has total veto powers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Emoji Movie was going to be a massive blockbuster that would give Sony the cachet to start taking more active control over Spider-Man?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

he still blames them, more than 20 years later, for "killing" Sega and its consoles. Brand loyalty is a silly thing, really.

That's ridiculous, Sega killed themselves. I was definitely a Sega over Nintendo kid and I never bought a Saturn or Dreamcast because, well why would I?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know one guy who gets inordinately happy to hear about Sony loving up because he still blames them, more than 20 years later, for "killing" Sega and its consoles. Brand loyalty is a silly thing, really.

Should come as no surprise that he's one of the sort who's always going on about how fans deserve a "dark, adult, gritty" take on Sonic the Hedgehog.

I am still somewhat annoyed that during the PS2 era, Sony pressured developers of cross-platform games to not include 4-player modes in their multiplayer games (since the PS2 only had 2 controller ports). So many party games foiled... And so many TMNT games where you could only play as 2 turtles at a time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sony technically has full creative control, but they willingly gave it up for Homecoming.

Marvel has first run creative control, but Sony has total veto powers.

Ah, the Hogan clause.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fans got one of those. It went infamously poorly. Honestly one could argue fans got two of those and they both sucked pretty hard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Ah, the Hogan clause.

Paul or Hulk?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Emoji Movie was going to be a massive blockbuster that would give Sony the cachet to start taking more active control over Spider-Man?
Oh god I forgot about that nonsense

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Paul or Hulk?

Hollywood, brother

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Paul or Hulk?

Endless Mike posted:

Hollywood, brother

Celebrity chef and star of the Great British Bake-Off Paul Hollywood?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Scaramouche posted:

I would disagree, yeah RDJ showing up was good, but without him you still have Keaton, the high school setting, and a lot of what still made the movie good.

I must be the only person that didn't like the Iron Man connection to peter in Homecoming. The tech suit was my least favorite part of the film.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BiggerBoat posted:

I must be the only person that didn't like the Iron Man connection to peter in Homecoming. The tech suit was my least favorite part of the film.

Karen was absolutely integral to making the movie as good as it was though

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

No, I didn't like it either. I've got no problem with the Iron Spider suit being made by Stark but the OG costume should be Parker-made, not an Iron Man suit with an AI and everything that just looks like Spider-Man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah! Do the same thing as every other time.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

SonicRulez posted:

Fans got one of those. It went infamously poorly. Honestly one could argue fans got two of those and they both sucked pretty hard.

Are you talking about shadow or 06? Because fans wanted both and they both sucked.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

TwoPair posted:

No, I didn't like it either. I've got no problem with the Iron Spider suit being made by Stark but the OG costume should be Parker-made, not an Iron Man suit with an AI and everything that just looks like Spider-Man.

This doesn’t even make sense. His OG costume was Parker-made, he was wearing it in the videos Tony watched to initially find Peter (in Civil War) and he went back to it when Tony took the costume away. Am I missing something here?

Also, on rewatch, Infinity War still owns and I still cannot get over the massive spectacle of the thing that I literally never could have thought would be possible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Now that Infinity War is out on Digital and Blue Ray, someone needs to post a HQ gif of the ~20 second Dr. Strange/Thanos sequence on Titan.

That looked great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah! Do the same thing as every other time.

This is a little disingenuous I feel. It wasn't that they did something different. I just didn't care for the execution of the AI interface and the tutorial modes and felt that Stark played too big a role in the story. Didn't click for me. I wasn't clamoring for more Uncle Ben flashbacks and poo poo or more Goblins.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like the spider suit

And i thought a fun factoid was that Jennifer connelly is the voice of Karen, and she's married to Paul bettany, so it's like an avengers family thing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if Richard Parker secretly was Norman Osborn. He disappeared because he gave up his secret family

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mikeraskol posted:

This doesn’t even make sense. His OG costume was Parker-made, he was wearing it in the videos Tony watched to initially find Peter (in Civil War) and he went back to it when Tony took the costume away. Am I missing something here?

Also, on rewatch, Infinity War still owns and I still cannot get over the massive spectacle of the thing that I literally never could have thought would be possible.

In the comics, Peter makes a quick and cheap costume with little to no styling and then makes the final, classic Spider-Man ("OG") costume. Same as with the Raimi movies and the Andrew Garfield movies. In the MCU Peter makes the same kind of quick and cheap costume but the classic Spider-Man costume, along with tech built-in, comes from Stark.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lobok posted:

In the comics, Peter makes a quick and cheap costume with little to no styling and then makes the final, classic Spider-Man ("OG") costume. Same as with the Raimi movies and the Andrew Garfield movies. In the MCU Peter makes the same kind of quick and cheap costume but the classic Spider-Man costume, along with tech built-in, comes from Stark.

Which Stark then takes from him, and Peter makes his own costume again. Then in IW Stark gives him the Iron Spider suit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Doesn't stark leave the suit on his bed at the end of the movie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Doesn't stark leave the suit on his bed at the end of the movie

Yeah, it's what May catches him in at the end and what he is wearing at the start of IW.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, and it's why he shows up in it before the upgrade in IW.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

David D. Davidson posted:

Are you talking about shadow or 06? Because fans wanted both and they both sucked.

Yes. Though in 06's case, the game fans asked for is not the one that was released.

I'm at a point where if you want a "dark and gritty" anything, you're wrong. I don't care if it's The Punisher vs A second Punisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

I mean, all the MCU movies did is remove a plot hole where a high school student at a technology magnet school can make an attractive, practical, breathable, durable, combat-resilient full-body suit in the space of a few weeks on a freelance photographer's budget.

Don't get me wrong, I'd enjoy a movie that was Peter Parker watching Youtube videos and trying to cobble together a super-suit, only to face the realization over and over that there's a stark (heh) difference between Comic-Con cosplays and real, actual combat clothing. Might be fun if he's running around in hastily-debranded Under Armor and milsurp in somewhat-matching colors, proving to be a real, competent superhero before Tony shows up and gives him a suit because he's just embarrassing himself.

We didn't get that movie, and I doubt most people would have identified with it, but I'd like to imagine that those events did occur more or less while he was filming his Youtube videos.

• Locked thread