Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course, the Trade Federation treats its droids better than the Republic treats the clones. The Trade Federation put a half-droid (General Grievous) in charge of their entire space fleet while the Republic won't allow the clones to have any position of military authority unless they are subservient to the Jedi. The Trade Federation also pays its droids a living wage, which the Republic does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Cybernetics doesn't make you a droid. General Grievous was an organic intelligence and doesn't cease to be one just because his brain isn't in a flesh-container anymore.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jivjov posted:

They're not humans, obviously, and there's definitely room for discussion on exactly what type of being they are given their fundamental differences from organic life...but yeah, most of the droids we see in the saga are people. Battle droids circa episode 1 I kinda question, since they're treated as pure automata. I'm not sure if the independence and whatnot were always there but suppressed or if the non-centrally controlled droids were fundamentally different in some way.

What if the Story Group declared droids non-sapient?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

multijoe posted:

What if the Story Group declared droids non-sapient?

Then in the context of the Star Wars universe, droids would be non-sapient; and just possessing of a remarkable simulacrum of sapience.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Then in the context of the Star Wars universe, droids would be non-sapient; and just possessing of a remarkable simulacrum of sapience.

"The Story Group doesn't tell me what to think, except when they do"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course, the Trade Federation treats its droids better than the Republic treats the clones. The Trade Federation put a half-droid (General Grievous) in charge of their entire space fleet while the Republic won't allow the clones to have any position of military authority unless they are subservient to the Jedi. The Trade Federation also pays its droids a living wage, which the Republic does not.

The Empire has a half-droid as it's second in command.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

"The Story Group doesn't tell me what to think, except when they do"

I'm not the one that gets to make determinations on what's canon or not. Why would I have that authority at all?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is Jivjov a person ?

People have the authority to interpret art and media.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

jivjov posted:

I'm not the one that gets to make determinations on what's canon or not. Why would I have that authority at all?

A New Hope has a droid slave auction. Story Group doesn't have this authority

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

The Empire has a half-droid as it's second in command.

They do indeed.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

euphronius posted:

Is Jivjov a person ?

I suggest we form a Person Group to declare whether jivjov is a person in the context of the Something Awful Formus Universe or just an advanced chatbot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is our standard of proof? Remarkable simulacrum of sapience? Or everyday example of genius?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
shitposting, obviously

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

Listen to yourself bro

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Listen to yourself bro

Yes, I do listen to myself. I recognize that I am not the license holder for Star Wars and I don't have the authority to declare what is and isn't canonical. Why do you think you have more authority than the owners?

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

euphronius posted:

What is our standard of proof? Remarkable simulacrum of sapience? Or everyday example of genius?

If we can rule out the trolling angle, the limited ability to comprehend ideas falling outside the limits set by the Story Group suggests artificial origin.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Because, like everyone including you has said, it’s fiction. We will interpret and assert whatever we want. You don’t have to like it but it’s extremely weird to go around ordering everyone to stop.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

jivjov posted:

Yes, I do listen to myself. I recognize that I am not the license holder for Star Wars and I don't have the authority to declare what is and isn't canonical. Why do you think you have more authority than the owners?

You see a slave market. The church has told you that the slaves aren't people. Why would you believe them?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

jivjov posted:

Because no one should give even the most remotest, faintest fucks about anything that a corporation thinks or tells you to think.

That's what they're doing. They're telling you what to think re: Star Wars.

"Don't believe how the movies depict Lando; he's actually queer" is telling you what to think.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nebalebadingdong posted:

You see a slave market. The church has told you that the slaves aren't people. Why would you believe them?

Because contrary to real life slaves, Star Wars droids are fictional, with qualities assigned by writers and curated by the Story Group.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waffles Inc. posted:

Because no one should give even the most remotest, faintest fucks about anything that a corporation thinks or tells you to think.

That's what they're doing. They're telling you what to think re: Star Wars.

They're not telling anyone what to think; they're curating what is and isn't part of the continuity.

You understand the difference between fiction and reality, yes?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

jivjov posted:

They're not telling anyone what to think; they're curating what is and isn't part of the continuity.

These two clauses are incongruent, JivJov. Put another way, by "curating what is and isn't part of the continuity" they are making decisions that apparently affect your relationship with Star Wars. They are controlling your thoughts and you're letting them.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
JivJov, what is your ancestry? Thinking about making a custom nation in EU4 so I can make their religion Church of the Jedi or something and can role play as you with the rest of Catholic Europe representing this thread.

National Ideas:
1. B1 Battledroids
Army Morale +10%

2. Sand people travel single file
all generals have +3 maneuver

3. Now Witness the Firepower of This Fully Armed and Operational Battle Station!!
Missionary strength +3%

4. It’s a trap!
all admirals have +3 maneuver; heavy ship price -20%

5. Grand Temple
+2 missionaries

6. At last we shall have our revenge
Spy building network +5%

7. I am the Senate
yearly legitimacy +1

8. Clouded, the future is
Foreign spy detection -10%

9. Jakku is Tatooine
Raise Stability cost +10%

10. The Story Group
Troops have 2x rebel suppression (up to -10)

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Let the author die. Kill him, if you have to

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This has to be one of SMG's more masterful manipulations. He made a post where he casually drops "Jakku and Tatooine are the same planet", and here we are like 10 pages later still going at it about canon and droid personhood. Unbelievable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guys, I'm actually a member of story group and we've just decided that Jakku ISN'T Tattooine, but it is Jedha. I am sorry for the confusion SMG, jivjov.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

jivjov posted:

Because contrary to real life slaves, Star Wars droids are fictional, with qualities assigned by writers and curated by the Story Group.

I know its been beat to death, but A New Hope shows droid suffering and a droid slave market. If Story Group claimed otherwise, you would disbelieve your own eyes at their behest.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

This has to be one of SMG's more masterful manipulations. He made a post where he casually drops "Jakku and Tatooine are the same planet", and here we are like 10 pages later still going at it about canon and droid personhood. Unbelievable.

I almost can't help but stare in that combination of shock and fascination that this dude who has been posting in the Star War threads since time began and who was always gently ribbed for his almost adorable fixation on the TFA death star not being a death star being actually one of the most radical religious zealots i've encountered online

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I will admit even though I keep this thread bookmarked I only pop in like once every 1000 posts or so, which is typically ~ 8 weeks. I’m glad this was one of those times. My post per day count has gone up by like .1 in the past week lol. Embarrassing (for me)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

It's not really manipulation, there's just a bunch of posters who jack SMG off and repost his theories endlessly and one guy who hasn't realized engaging with them in good faith is a stupid idea.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's not really manipulation, there's just a bunch of posters who jack SMG off and repost his theories endlessly and one guy who hasn't realized engaging with them in good faith is a stupid idea.

this is an even worse take than anything JivJov has said

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waffles Inc. posted:

These two clauses are incongruent, JivJov. Put another way, by "curating what is and isn't part of the continuity" they are making decisions that apparently affect your relationship with Star Wars. They are controlling your thoughts and you're letting them.

They aren't "controlling my thoughts". They're curating the continuity such that there's an ongoing Star Wars universe for me to relate to at all.

By your metric, George Lucas was bad for making The Empire Strikes Back because he established a continuity between that film and the original.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

They aren't "controlling my thoughts". They're curating the continuity such that there's an ongoing Star Wars universe for me to relate to at all.

Jivjov, are you flat out incapable of relating to works of fiction without somebody else controlling how you do it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dublish posted:

Jivjov, are you flat out incapable of relating to works of fiction without somebody else controlling how you do it?

Nobody is controlling me. The Story Group curates the canon, that's all. Nobody's clockwork orange'ing my eyes open in front of a copy of Last Shot or something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

Because I'm not a bootlicker

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

Nobody is controlling me. The Story Group curates the canon, that's all. Nobody's clockwork orange'ing my eyes open in front of a copy of Last Shot or something

No you're doing that to yourself

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

jivjov posted:

You mentioned a couple pages back that without the Story Group, Star Wars would be like Star Trek

Why is Trek "worse" in your eyes?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You will not stop me. Lord Jivjov will become more powerful than either of us!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

You mentioned a couple pages back that without the Story Group, Star Wars would be like Star Trek

Trek is worse because jivjov is incapable of relating to it, because nobody has said how to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's a personal preference. I prefer a singular ongoing continuity over having to try to keep track of which story arcs are considered canonical, which aren't, which things exist in their own little bubble of continuity, etc