Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bloodychill posted:

The fetishism for japanese games in this forum never gets old. Same to talking points around performative sexuality I’ve seen in chud twitter get repeated as criticisms towards western gaming.

It's weird I agree w/ you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I like VP2’s soundtrack more than VP1.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFRVUc5OUXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65gLUKTbAlo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOknVFlu9sE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHNJBoq9EcM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KqOULuVRMc

yup VP2 has good music too

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
[ur=that one dril tweet] gay people taking issue with the way gay people are portrayed in media is the same as straight people being mad gay people are being portrayed in media at all [/url]

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
who do you play as today?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

GUI posted:

I started Get Even today and played it for 4 hours. Every single gameplay element is just average but it's rare to see a game that combines so many elements together. It's an exploration game where you spend a ton of time reading, then sometimes you solve puzzles? And sometimes you get into areas where you can shoot or stealth your way through? And then sometimes it turns into a horror game for a while? Then into a spy thriller about corporate espionage? Then into a family drama about a negligent father cheating on his wife? There's also a bunch of subtle and not so subtle choices/actions that affect the story? Yet at the same time it's a linear, story heavy, single player only, 10 hour game with extremely little replay value released in the year of our lord 2017. It sure is something.

Finished it today. It's always strange to play the very rare game that has a proper beginning, middle and end and has no interest whatsoever on setting up a sequel or a franchise. It has its flaws but overall I liked it and I'll probably replay it sooner or later to get all story collectibles and see the slight differences moral choices make.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It's weird I agree w/ you.

I am stupid and a big idiot, can you tell me what that post is even saying because I am having trouble parsing it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't know what he meant by that second sentence but the same cavalcade of a half dozen posters with moevatars falling over themselves to declare how they simply will not suffer an unwashed gaijin game to sully their eyes is every bit as tiresome and unproductive as the people who declare every Japanese thing they dislike to be "anime" and accuse people who play JRPGs of being child molestors or w/e.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh ok, thank you! :D

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think not liking western games is equivalent to accusing people of being pedophiles.

Like that's an incredibly absurd comparison.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I don't think not liking western games is equivalent to accusing people of being pedophiles.

Like that's an incredibly absurd comparison.

I am obviously not saying those are equivalent in severity, only in their lameness and boringness to read. Think about how poorly defined and vague "western games" are and how stupid this would sound in any other context.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know what he meant by that second sentence but the same cavalcade of a half dozen posters with moevatars falling over themselves to declare how they simply will not suffer an unwashed gaijin game to sully their eyes is every bit as tiresome and unproductive as the people who declare every Japanese thing they dislike to be "anime" and accuse people who play JRPGs of being child molestors or w/e.

a very anime post

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know what he meant by that second sentence but the same cavalcade of a half dozen posters with moevatars falling over themselves to declare how they simply will not suffer an unwashed gaijin game to sully their eyes
could you quote a post where someone said that

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yeah bloodychill is a markov chain bot, we get it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

What is the definition of western games anyway, is it just "everything not made in asia" or is it specificially "anything made in north america" or is it "any game made primarily for english-speaking countries" or what

Like, is there a "central games" made up of europe? Is Australia grouped in with the west? Is it entirely just an "Asian/not Asian" binary thing?

it's not anime if I don't like it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i could list out western games i like but that isnt really the point here, ive got nothing against western games i just do not care about big western AAA tentpole games. i dont really care about japanese AAA tentpole games too but they dont really have them these days, outside of nintendo and maybe final fantasy and dragon quest? and the only ff I'm super into is 9 and I've never really cared about dragon quest, and the only nintendo franchise I like is fire emblem.

I'm much more fond of mid and low-budget games, and those obviously exist in the west, but my favorite genres are RPGs and strategy games, and while you get western RPGs at that budget most of them are based heavily on D&D, which is something I don't really care about, and use the customizable protagonist/dialogue choices mode of storytelling, which is something I don't really enjoy. And most western strategy games at that budget are gameplay-focused with only a veneer of plot. So, like, naturally 90% of what I play is Japanese in origin, because it's the market where the things I like exist. Iunno how that turns into 'I shall never suffer an unwashed gaijin game,' except if it's the part where I said I didn't like The Last Of Us.

Like, a dude asked me for my opinions on tlou2, I offered what I felt were fairly nuanced opinions on why I'm not very confident in its portrayal, and someone else made a joke about gay rep in Japanese games and I agreed that while it wasn't necessarily 'better' it was more diverse, due to it being a more diverse marketplace in general in terms of budget, scope, and producers, and then some dudes rushed in here to call me an orientalist who hates western games. I'm really not sure how we get from point A to point B here. Is it the avatar? Because Aikatsu Stars owns, sorry to say.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yakuza 0 chapter one spoilers:

Why does Kuze have to cut off his finger? I don’t think he was kicked out?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's used as a way of atoning for any gently caress up, though I can't remember exactly what it was that Kuze did

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

He wasn't kicked out, but he still embarrassed himself and pissed off Dojima.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cool, thanks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's kinda hard for me to take Fredrik Knudsen seriously now that I know he's a Star Citizer hahaha

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

he started a fight without the boss’ permission and lost

the finger cutting thing is how yakuza say “I’m super duper sorry” and Kuze in particular has a thing for it, Dojima probably thought it’d be funny to put him on the receiving end

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

It's used as a way of atoning for any gently caress up, though I can't remember exactly what it was that Kuze did

Kuze is the polygonal embodiment of failing upwards

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest Yakuza story is still the time some pro wrestler was in Japan, started talking to some Yakuza in a bar. One of the Yakuza guys explained 'You cut your fingers off when you make a mistake,' then showed his hand with like three fingers missing. Wrestler responds 'Wow, you must be a real fuckup.'

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I blame the thread title

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wait i thought of a title: in A.U. G-U-S-T, chat was beginning

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Speaking of AAA Japanese games, I am excited for Monster Hunter: World to release next week.

I like to hit dinos with my friends.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Speaking of AAA Japanese games, I am excited for Monster Hunter: World to release next week.

I like to hit dinos with my friends.

oh right i forgot to count that one

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I blame the thread title

I'm always surprised when people that consume a media form produced and influenced in its majority by Japanese just can't stand the very mention of eastern products

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Video Games: Born in the East, perfected in the West :cool:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

...what the gently caress was that conversation

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Video Games: Born in the East, perfected in the West :cool:

I mean technically they were born in the west...

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean technically they were born in the west...

And perfected in the east. :honked:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

...what the gently caress was that conversation
who knows

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

happy birthday.....?? right??

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Looper posted:

After your teens they're just "Birthdays"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

it's in two days

suuma
Apr 2, 2009