Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't remember a single PS4 game I've played from a disc that didn't have to download gigabytes of patches beforehand. God of War had like 1 a day for two weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The last time I tried playing a new game without internet access was the most recent Deus Ex and enemies kept teleporting around and I got stuck inside one of the weird tutorial bits.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can't remember a single PS4 game I've played from a disc that didn't have to download gigabytes of patches beforehand. God of War had like 1 a day for two weeks!

Most PS4 games I have on disc had a day one patch of 500mb or less, unless you're talking DLC.

The major exceptions are FFXV and Doom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kingdom Come had a 25Gb patch 😳
It was bigger than the install on the disc!!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kingdom Come has had multiple patches that are in the 25 GB range and it's maddening. I had to give up because I was getting glitches caused by fixes for other glitches!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buddy you shoulda seen my face when my friend gave me his copy of The Witcher 3 and it started downloading a 50gb patch :crossarms:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm glad I live in a part of a world where affordable internet is given.

My sympathies, Americans.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm glad I live in a part of a world where affordable internet is given.

My sympathies, Americans.

Well, municipal internet is becoming a thing slowly by slowly, but the cartel parasites (AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon) are fighting it tooth and nail. They must be crushed and their stooges doused in white phosphorous.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Seedge posted:

It's a free patch, not a code.

Current reports are that you're downloading Spyro 2 and 3, so that's not quite true.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not true in what sense?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

They aren't free in that you paid for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Current reports are that you're downloading Spyro 2 and 3, so that's not quite true.

Spyro 2&3 are included in the free patch

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Spyro 2&3 are included in the free patch

It's still the equivalent of a code in a box though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's still the equivalent of a code in a box though.

No it's not?! A code can't be resused

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most of the time what people think are 20+ GB patches are just updates to the existent library and don't actually add 20 more GB to your memory.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

exquisite tea posted:

Most of the time what people think are 20+ GB patches are just updates to the existent library and don't actually add 20 more GB to your memory.

The obvious exception being Activision.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Digital. is bad.

Nahhh :love: hello BP what games are you playing lately?

I started downloading Yakuza 0 a few minutes ago just in case I submit to the urge and want to add another huge long game to the mix lol

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 3, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Healbot posted:

The obvious exception being Activision.

Welcome to 4k gaming, here are your 8192x8192 megatextures whether you want them or not.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just lol @ people who pass on spyro because they have to download a patch boo-hoo

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It's the fact that you can't play 2 and 3 without an internet connection. Not the patch itself.

(I don't care since I'm not interested but is kind of lovely)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Guillermus posted:

It's the fact that you can't play 2 and 3 without an internet connection. Not the patch itself.

(I don't care since I'm not interested but is kind of lovely)

Probably such a niche scenario that they don't give a poo poo tbh.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Idk we get 110-115 mbit for about 80 a month and that's pretty affordable

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's just bizarre since there's no reason not to put them on the disc, the only reasons I can think of not to are either a) as some people think they're not gonna be finished properly in time or b) there something requiring parity with the Switch version.

E: lol there isn't a Switch version

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Healbot posted:

They aren't free in that you paid for it.

They're paid DLC?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello my friends. I have just caught up on 1600 unread posts. I apologise for taking so long, I have been absent and tending to other threads amongst the Garden of Games.

(This is what I like to call my bookshelf/media centre :))

I am going to be trying to finish off God of War this weekend! I am also going to be lazily flitting between games because I will be having an extended weekend (Friday evening till Wed Morning) due to taking some time off to attend the Hospital, so I am going to have a ton of time to relax and enjoy my PS4 :D

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

It's just bizarre since there's no reason not to put them on the disc, the only reasons I can think of not to are either a) as some people think they're not gonna be finished properly in time

It's almost certainly not this. They're all built on the same engine, so if they weren't finished in the way you think it'd be functional engine code affecting all three games, not level-building and art assets. Even if it were just unfinished, all the Day-One patch should have is a couple GB of code tweaks to fix all they stuff they caught since the gold master was pressed.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sakurazuka posted:

Everyone in America lol

Hey speak for yourself (now that I have gig fiber and can scoff at those who don’t)

:smugbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Say whatever you want, but if I buy a physical edition and can't even play without first downloading a patch, then they can gently caress right off with that bullshit. Yeah, there's patches for most if not all games nowadays but I can still play the game if I don't want to wait.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lordfrikk posted:

Say whatever you want, but if I buy a physical edition and can't even play without first downloading a patch, then they can gently caress right off with that bullshit. Yeah, there's patches for most if not all games nowadays but I can still play the game if I don't want to wait.

Day-One patches aren't a bad thing. At worst they're a necessary evil. The gold master sent out is just an arbitrary date required so they can start stamping out discs and get them ready to ship for release date, and the coders just keep working up into launch day to crush bugs.

It's far better than it was in the early 00's, where you've got up to 2-3 visually-identical iterations of a game disc out the wild over the course of its reprints that may or may not have fixed the errant value that makes a boss fight nigh-unwinnable, or let you get that one bugged-out collectable for 100%. If they bother to fix it in reprints at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FAUXTON posted:

Idk we get 110-115 mbit for about 80 a month and that's pretty affordable

It's not just the bandwidth. People also may have download caps.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Day one patches suck rear end but the realistic alternative is worse.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Take this with a grain of salt cuz I'm a RPT. Radical Physical Traditionalist (who doesn't mind day 1 patches tbh). Anyway I don't like digital only for a variety of reasons but a big one is cause psn servers are slow as gently caress. My ps4 is hardwired into my network and it should take 2 minutes to dl a 1.5gb game/patch not 45min+. gently caress that.

Fwiw I'm a red-blooded American G.A.M.E.R. (NOT a virgin either) living in the city of brotherly love with a fast af comcast connection I pay big bucks for and comcast is even HQ'd here and I can look outside my window at work right now and look upon their big stupid monolithic half-life 2 citadel Dr. Comcast-Breen dropped on us 10 years ago (which apparently wasn't enough cause they're building a second, bigger, dumber one right now that looks like a big stupid as hell vape kit..pls come visit me in my city so I can tell you about this gigantic dumbass building making GBS threads up the skyline).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

beep by grandpa posted:

Take this with a grain of salt cuz I'm a RPT. Radical Physical Traditionalist (who doesn't mind day 1 patches tbh). Anyway I don't like digital only for a variety of reasons but a big one is cause psn servers are slow as gently caress. My ps4 is hardwired into my network and it should take 2 minutes to dl a 1.5gb game/patch not 45min+. gently caress that.

Fwiw I'm a red-blooded American G.A.M.E.R. (NOT a virgin either) living in the city of brotherly love with a fast af comcast connection I pay big bucks for and comcast is even HQ'd here and I can look outside my window at work right now and look upon their big stupid monolithic half-life 2 citadel Dr. Comcast-Breen dropped on us 10 years ago (which apparently wasn't enough cause they're building a second, bigger, dumber one right now that looks like a big stupid as hell vape kit..pls come visit me in my city so I can tell you about this gigantic dumbass building making GBS threads up the skyline).

It looks like Comcast's just giving the entire city the finger with that building. Rather appropriate for them, really.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Man I love posting. How you all doing today and what games u playin this weekend :whatup:

I got some plans tonight, tmrw, sunday but I wanna squeeze in some KIWAMI when I can so I can hang with my friends in Kamurocho more.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

kirbysuperstar posted:

Day one patches suck rear end but the realistic alternative is worse.

Games that work, released when they are complete?

e: Mostly just being facetious and I don't really have strong feelings about day one patches either way, but it doesn't strike me as particularly unrealistic for games to be released in a state that doesn't require one.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 3, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gravy Jones posted:

Lol yeah and I'd like a million pounds too

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

e: Mostly just being facetious and I don't really have strong feelings about day one patches either way, but it doesn't strike me as particularly unrealistic for games to be released in a state that doesn't require one.

This has literally never been the case in the history of video games so good luck with that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Day-One patches aren't a bad thing. At worst they're a necessary evil. The gold master sent out is just an arbitrary date required so they can start stamping out discs and get them ready to ship for release date, and the coders just keep working up into launch day to crush bugs.

It's far better than it was in the early 00's, where you've got up to 2-3 visually-identical iterations of a game disc out the wild over the course of its reprints that may or may not have fixed the errant value that makes a boss fight nigh-unwinnable, or let you get that one bugged-out collectable for 100%. If they bother to fix it in reprints at all.

I'm not sure who is this meant as a response to because I didn't complain about day one patches, just being locked out of a game without downloading a patch first. It completely eliminates one of the benefits of a physical version.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Probably such a niche scenario that they don't give a poo poo tbh.

I agree with that of course. I mean it's activision and they're trying to get people to buy it. Probably one Activision executive wanted it for himself out of nostalgia and they looked the cheapest way to release it on PS4 to scratch some money. If a game is encouraging to get the digital release is this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Games are often complex operations running on tight schedules and developers continue to find critical bugs in the months between their printing and release dates. Better for some people to grumble about having to download a Day 1 patch than thousands hit some unforeseen catastrophic error because you seek to preserve the Chivalrie of Ye Prystine Gaeme