Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

The purple one is best because you can tell the exact point he realized he was in over his head and didn't want to get the brush too close to her knee. Fixing it would require finding a tutorial on how to undo.

If you loved the purple one, you'll love this specific area of whatever this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Megabound posted:

If you loved the purple one, you'll love this specific area of whatever this is.

I for one like knowing the weak spot on... ? ?? ???????

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Came for the purple blanket, stayed for the rusty culvert.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

Came for the purple blanket, stayed for the rusty culvert.
Dominic you rat! Giving your own brother the 'ol rusty culvert!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Dominic you rat! Giving your own brother the 'ol rusty culvert!

Preeeeeeecisely.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Uptime Sinclair posted:

I for one like knowing the weak spot on... ? ?? ???????

lmao

This would be a killer feature on cameras though, let's not kid ourselves.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Why again are people so in love with HDR and pushing vibrance all the way up?

Photographers keep doing it and people keep eating it up everywhere outside of the Dorkroom. I think I know why but I don't get how it hasn't gone away yet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sleepytime posted:

Why again are people so in love with HDR and pushing vibrance all the way up?

Photographers keep doing it and people keep eating it up everywhere outside of the Dorkroom. I think I know why but I don't get how it hasn't gone away yet.

Most people love good (OK, "good") images more than they do good photographs. cranked up HDR is striking, and makes folks go "ooh, neat"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Details = quality. "Novel" appearance = art.

I imagine that's basically it, as someone who also fell into the HDR trap when I started doing photography.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

People who don’t know how to recognize good composition and general meaning from photography, whether intuitively or through training, will appreciate anything that differentiates a photo from what they can take with their cell phone vs. an image that has been processed and looks different than what they can achieve. This is why lovely filters are popular, why HDR is popular and well liked, why Dutch angles are a norm for things like wedding photography (they are seeing something that most people don’t do so it is immediately seen as artistic) etc. There are analogs in music too and the dumber and less trained people are to appreciate art, the lower the bar goes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rio posted:

People who don’t know how to recognize good composition and general meaning from photography, whether intuitively or through training, will appreciate anything that differentiates a photo from what they can take with their cell phone vs. an image that has been processed and looks different than what they can achieve. This is why lovely filters are popular, why HDR is popular and well liked, why Dutch angles are a norm for things like wedding photography (they are seeing something that most people don’t do so it is immediately seen as artistic) etc. There are analogs in music too and the dumber and less trained people are to appreciate art, the lower the bar goes.

This is an extremely good way of putting it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see less HDR lately and a lot more savage abuse of saturation sliders so I guess that's the trendy thing again.

In other news, this:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-how-the-quest-for-the-perfect-selfie-forced-an-ontario-sunflower-farm/

Farmers charge a fee to let people come take pictures among their sunflowers, it hits instagram, thousands of people show up and trash the place.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

xzzy posted:

I see less HDR lately and a lot more savage abuse of saturation sliders so I guess that's the trendy thing again.

In other news, this:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-how-the-quest-for-the-perfect-selfie-forced-an-ontario-sunflower-farm/

Farmers charge a fee to let people come take pictures among their sunflowers, it hits instagram, thousands of people show up and trash the place.

The local "pro" photography Facebook groups around me go loving nuts about the sunflower fields around here, and it's the dumbest thing.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Instagram must die

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Omnes Facebook Delenda Est.

I tend to think of overdone HDR, lovely B&W conversions with the clarity slider pushed all the way, spot colour abuse, and oversaturated stuff as being the fatty, salty cheap carbs of photography. People have an immediate reaction to it regardless of its actual quality. Most people don't think too much about what makes a good picture or about stuff like composition weight, leading lines, and similarly obscure terms, they just see something that's different (as rio said) and have a reaction that they interpret as 'this is good'.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
With most amateur photographer poo poo, I mostly learned they were bad when I actually started taking photos and processing them. I think a lot of people think selective coloring is good because a lot of photographers do it, so who are they to say it sucks when those people have fancy cameras and expensive image processing software to create such works? What do they know about photography, anyway?

Actually trying to do photography made me see that pushing sliders makes an image look too ugly, and there's the whole storytelling thing going on, etc etc.

On my side of the world the trend is pale-skinned East Asian-looking girls in soft colors and "intimate" settings (even if I live in Southeast Asia).

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

On my side of the world the trend is pale-skinned East Asian-looking girls in soft colors and "intimate" settings (even if I live in Southeast Asia).

'Sup SEA-living buddy. I feel you on the glut of random super-pale Asian girls in boudoir settings. Where I am (Bangkok), the local photogroups are full of them. The rest of the photos are either stereotypical B&W "street" photography (read: photos of homeless people), or lovely cellphone sunset photos.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Helen Highwater posted:

'Sup SEA-living buddy. I feel you on the glut of random super-pale Asian girls in boudoir settings. Where I am (Bangkok), the local photogroups are full of them. The rest of the photos are either stereotypical B&W "street" photography (read: photos of homeless people), or lovely cellphone sunset photos.

Can't wait to see your new chair

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Yes, ok. All of that seems so obvious I think I just couldn't rationalize it to myself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"This picture has the coolest imagery going on. In front of perhaps the ugliest background, I took this photo with the reflection at the perfect level. Right at the top of my subjects head is the beginning of the reflection of the trees all around us. There is also a perfectly placed ray of sunshine gleaming down to the perfect spot on his forehead. It creates powerful imagery and turns an ugly background into the perfect background of a photo with this much complexity."

https://www.getfractals.com/gallery/creative-portrait-camera-filter

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

"This picture has the coolest imagery going on. In front of perhaps the ugliest background, I took this photo with the reflection at the perfect level. Right at the top of my subjects head is the beginning of the reflection of the trees all around us. There is also a perfectly placed ray of sunshine gleaming down to the perfect spot on his forehead. It creates powerful imagery and turns an ugly background into the perfect background of a photo with this much complexity."

Jesus, now what am I supposed to do? I've got that burned into my retinas now, and it comes with douche voice included.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Love 2 be beaten over the head with superlatives.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
We’ve entered the phase of ironic photography

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

where did you get this picture of me

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I jumped through that photo and ended up in the 90s

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
That does look like it could be one of those school picture backgrounds that my mom wouldn't let me get in elementary school.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

xzzy posted:

I love this photo and description

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

I propose a contest thread of portraits imitating this thing. Bonus points for selfies.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

I thought this was the bad photo thread?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Going back to some of the earlier discussion about photogs charging barely anything for photo sessions... a friend of mine and I were doing some research on convention cosplay shooters (and why I don't do it). We actually found someone that A) was only wanting $20 for a 30 minute session, and B) would give that person all the RAW files.

So many things to say... not enough booze here to do it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ReverendHammer posted:

Going back to some of the earlier discussion about photogs charging barely anything for photo sessions... a friend of mine and I were doing some research on convention cosplay shooters (and why I don't do it). We actually found someone that A) was only wanting $20 for a 30 minute session, and B) would give that person all the RAW files.

I'm actually honestly planning on spending my next comic con following around con photographers and taking photos of them and their weird set ups.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

ReverendHammer posted:

Thank you for that actually. I took some good advice from it.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

8th-snype posted:

I'm actually honestly planning on spending my next comic con following around con photographers and taking photos of them and their weird set ups.

If you do please post it somewhere, I'd love to see it. Lately the only camera I'll take to a con is my Instax Wide 300. I'll take one for myself and then another to give to them (along with a sticker for our website). They're super appreciative when you give them a physical memento of how they were wearing that costume at that particular time.

indyrenegade posted:

Thank you for that actually. I took some good advice from it.

Glad you got something out of it. We do have a lot of fun with this exploring how we see these characters in the situations we come up with. It's kinda like fanfic... minus the bad writing and self-inserts sleeping with whoever.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

I went on a photowalk here with the local FB photography group. I got a lot of pictures of people with $8k full frame setups taking pictures of cats.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Helen Highwater posted:

I went on a photowalk here with the local FB photography group. I got a lot of pictures of people with $8k full frame setups taking pictures of cats.

Oh, cool, I’ve been looking for some good pictures of myself.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

Helen Highwater posted:

Gear level: National Geographic
Skill level: Canon Coolpix

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

indyrenegade posted:

Gear level: National Geographic
Skill level: Canon Coolpix

Don't doxx me pls

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Helen Highwater posted:

This is literally every flickr photo walk I've gone on.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

8th-snype posted:

I used to be one of those guys until I downsized to a mirrorless and maybe a single off camera flash. I also don't do real shoots anymore and just flag down people with cool cosplay, though, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Show up with an iPhone and ask them to take a picture of you posing next to some flowers.