Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Man, I really hope that guy didn't murder anyone cause that was too awesome not to cheer for him a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Geoj posted:

You'd be surprised how far a department can push this law.

The city that borders the one I live in to the north has a mayor's court (archaic state law permits city mayors or an appointed magistrate to hear minor misdemeanor cases...like simple moving violations) and at one point had a CV with a low-profile emergency light and barely off-white 2" "POLICE" lettering (on a white car) along the door sills.

What the hell was that name of that Ohio "village" that was so notorious for pulling over people they dissolved it? I can't think of the name

wolrah posted:

I've always found that funny too. Of all the states I've driven in, I feel like Ohio is the easiest to speed in particularly because of this. There are only certain places the cops can sit when running speed patrols, they have to be marked with a light bar, and they have to have at least their parking lights on any time drivers would have to have their headlights on.

Indiana has dark cars with no markings and no light bars that hide in the median ditch behind bridge pillars. Pennsylvania puts cops in DOT trucks. Illinois and Virginia go full undercover where you might get pulled over by a minivan or a Mustang.

Only place not to speed is across borders when going into OH.

Indiana is notorious now. They'll use the DOT truck stuff, all the tricks (lets leave the trunk open to block the lights, etc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy poo poo the last one made me spit out my coffee laughing

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

dee eight posted:

I'm teaching a kid how to drive and yellow light timing is a part of the lessons. Thank god there are no red light cams around here to complicate things.

My general rule is "If you have to hammer the brakes hard to stop, take the yellow. If you can stop smoothly, even if a bit quickly, then stop." with the caveat "always a quick check of the mirror in the second case"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEFYCaKakE

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FBS posted:

Lucky me, Dallas cops are both clearly marked and too understaffed to deal with anything as unimportant as traffic violations

I've been here four and a half years and I've never seen someone pulled over for a traffic stop ('round where I live anyway)

I've seen them work in coordination on the Dallas highways. One guy parked on the shoulder of an overpass looking for speeders, and then 4-5 cop cars a mile later who have bagged everyone their buddy pointed out.

And yeah, thank gently caress Texas police are still too into tradition to do sneaky poo poo like that shadow-text. All of their cruisers and SUVs are black and white with visible lightbars, and the sherrifs are in brown.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Colostomy Bag posted:

What the hell was that name of that Ohio "village" that was so notorious for pulling over people they dissolved it? I can't think of the name

New Rome.

Wikipedia posted:

New Rome police had systematically taken advantage of the village's sudden drop (from 45 mph (72 km/h) to 35 mph (56 km/h)) in the posted speed limit along the busy thoroughfare of West Broad Street to pull over thousands of motorists, raising nearly $400,000 gross annually from speeding tickets, but primarily vehicle citations, including trivial offenses such as dusty taillights and improperly tinted windows. Nearly all of this money was funneled back into the police force, which almost exclusively dealt with traffic violations and so essentially existed to fund itself. The 60-resident village had as many as 14 policemen (all part-time), with the Village Council wanting more.[3]

Many local business owners complained that customers were being driven away by the village's reputation, and there were many reports of arbitrary and even abusive conduct at the hands of the New Rome police, who even ventured into surrounding jurisdictions to arrest people over unpaid traffic tickets.

The Ohio Department of Transportation eventually decided that New Rome's lower speed limit was inconsistent with state law guidelines. The New Rome police force was suspended by the village in 2003 when its chief resigned, shortly after the village's mayor's court was abolished by the state, and so the speed trap came to an end.

And also

Wikipedia posted:

New Rome also had longstanding problems with internal corruption. Several past New Rome officials, including a past clerk, were caught stealing thousands of dollars in public funds; others, including a past mayor, resigned after misuse of village credit cards came to light. Approximately $120,000 was stolen from New Rome over the course of a decade, according to the Ohio State Auditor, who also concluded that the village's poor accounting practices made continuing theft likely. Mayor's court records were also reported to have been destroyed and falsified. A federal grant to the village in 1996 to fight purportedly rising burglaries, vandalism, and gang activity was instead used for traffic enforcement. In 2003, the New Rome police had their access to a State Highway Patrol driver identification database revoked because of misuse against the political rival of a council member.

As well as

Wikipedia posted:

New Rome last held elections for the village council in 1979, and did not hold elections for mayor from 1995 to 2002. During that period, the incumbents simply reappointed themselves, taking the line that with so few residents, there were not enough people interested in running.

In 2002, after the state-certified election of a new reformist mayor, Jamie Mueller, the council refused to recognize him and claimed that the old mayor (to whom most of the Council were related) was still in office. The controversy soon broadened into a question of who was even legally on the Council, as none of the council appointments had been registered with the state as required by law. The Franklin County prosecutor eventually invalidated the appointments of all but one member, because they were not legally appointed, but village positions continued to be claimed by those without the legal right to do so.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Making a left turn (with an arrow, mind you) on my bicycle from the right turn lane onto a 2 lane road.

Someone blows through the red light, nearly hits me while turning right.

But it's just a bicycle problem :thunk:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dagen H posted:

New Rome.

Thank you. I thought it had Rome in its name but I second guessed myself.

I think all the crap that was chronicled was on some Geocities site that was always a good read for updates on the disaster.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

lol as if there'd be only one in this lovely state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linndale,_Ohio#Speed_trap_history

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds similar to the one that's east of St Louis who's name I can't remember now. Their city hall is a mobile home that never has anyone working there.. about a block from the town's only intersection where their lone police officer runs a speed trap.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I think the funniest line is this:

According to the 2010 census, the village achieved the second highest growth rate in Cuyahoga County: 53% as the population increased from 117 to 179, although the last house was built in 1968 and there are only 37 residential addresses

53% population increase!!!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My thoughts on red light cameras and speed cameras are this:

If they are clearly marked as such, and you ignore all signs saying "cameras ahead" and get busted for it, pay the loving fine. At that point, you're telling me that you're the type of person who thinks reading street signs are for squares and would cut across the gore point because you failed to.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

At first I was against red light cameras, but I then learned, in our city at least, they only trip if you enter the intersection after the light is indicating red, not amber, so if you get nailed you deserve it.

I am sick and tired of seeing jackasses run a red light, and then there are another 3 chucklefucks behind them, which only serve to create close calls or shorten the light for the people going the other way because they can't move until the dumb fucks get out of the intersection.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Colostomy Bag posted:

Might be thinking of Linndale, a tiny inner-ring suburb of Cleveland that has less than a mile of I-71 running through it and no local access to the highway.

At the height of their fuckery they had a year where they were second only to the Ohio state highway patrol in total annual traffic citations issued in the state.

Village still exists but they got slapped around by the state to the point where they had to lay off close to 90% of their police force (most of which was dedicated to writing tickets) and you never see them on the highway anymore now that their mayor's court has been dissolved and there's no revenue to collect since the tickets their police write are handled by a neighboring municipal court.

From Wikipedia:

Linndale Wiki Page posted:

Linndale, often called a speed trap,[6][10] had for many years the busiest, on a per-capita basis, Mayor's Court in the State of Ohio.[11][12] The village in the past has successfully defended its legal right to enforce the 60 mph speed limit on the 422 yards (386 m) of Interstate 71 within its jurisdiction under the "Home Rule" provisions of the state constitution.[10][13] The combination of traffic enforcement and Mayor's Court has provided 80% of Linndale's one million dollar annual budget, and underwritten its four full-time and ten part-time police officers.[14]

On December 20, 2012, Governor John Kasich signed a bill[15] into law effective March 22, 2013, which dissolved Linndale's Mayor's Court.[16] A sergeant in the Linndale police department stated that traffic cases would subsequently be handled by nearby Parma.[17]

In response to decreasing revenue, Linndale has installed speed cameras on its most heavily traveled non-interstate, Memphis Avenue,[18] and is processing some traffic violations locally instead of relying on Parma Municipal Court.;[19] however another attempt to increase revenue with a proposed increase in the village income tax from 2% to 2.5% failed in an 8-12 referendum vote.[20]

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 3, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

slidebite posted:

At first I was against red light cameras, but I then learned, in our city at least, they only trip if you enter the intersection after the light is indicating red, not amber, so if you get nailed you deserve it.

I am sick and tired of seeing jackasses run a red light, and then there are another 3 chucklefucks behind them, which only serve to create close calls or shorten the light for the people going the other way because they can't move until the dumb fucks get out of the intersection.

This gets cloudy as gently caress and while I agree on principle and furthermore...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think the law usually says something like "if you are past the stop line when the light turns red, proceed and clear the intersection."

That will let people make left turns when the light changes and to me means if you are past the stop line before it changes that's fine. Some red light cameras probably don't agree though.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

jamal posted:

I think the law usually says something like "if you are past the stop line when the light turns red, proceed and clear the intersection."

That will let people make left turns when the light changes and to me means if you are past the stop line before it changes that's fine. Some red light cameras probably don't agree though.

"Claiming the intersection" is also a part of my lessons to the noob.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

slidebite posted:

You're also in Calgary, right? Yeah, I have no problem with how our cameras work. They cause the worst drivers among us to suffer, which is the noblest and most necessary of causes.

P.S. I actually saw the usual police radar trap on 16th just inside the city limits move from "right at the city limits" to "just past the Stoney exit." I imagine they got a lot of takers with that one, because I see people speed back up all the time as soon as they realize there's no radar trap at Valley Ridge Blvd. :v:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That Prius was doing at least 110 when I passed it.

The people you share the road with are posting from inside the thread!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PT6A posted:

You're also in Calgary, right? Yeah, I have no problem with how our cameras work. They cause the worst drivers among us to suffer, which is the noblest and most necessary of causes.

P.S. I actually saw the usual police radar trap on 16th just inside the city limits move from "right at the city limits" to "just past the Stoney exit." I imagine they got a lot of takers with that one, because I see people speed back up all the time as soon as they realize there's no radar trap at Valley Ridge Blvd. :v:
Nah, YQL but it's pretty much the same from what I can tell, although I have been nailed by photoradar in Calgary so that can suck a bag of infected dicks although I deserved it

I do dig the Calgary unmarked trucks though, keeps you on your toes. Sheriffs are now experimenting with unmarked vehicles too for the first time on highway patrol.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Geoj posted:

Might be thinking of Linndale, a tiny inner-ring suburb of Cleveland that has less than a mile of I-71 running through it and no local access to the highway.

At the height of their fuckery they had a year where they were second only to the Ohio state highway patrol in total annual traffic citations issued in the state.

Village still exists but they got slapped around by the state to the point where they had to lay off close to 90% of their police force (most of which was dedicated to writing tickets) and you never see them on the highway anymore now that their mayor's court has been dissolved and there's no revenue to collect since the tickets their police write are handled by a neighboring municipal court.

From Wikipedia:

I like that they got owned, tried again, failed, but the thought of a .5% income tax increase was just too much.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

slidebite posted:

Nah, YQL but it's pretty much the same from what I can tell, although I have been nailed by photoradar in Calgary so that can suck a bag of infected dicks although I deserved it

I do dig the Calgary unmarked trucks though, keeps you on your toes. Sheriffs are now experimenting with unmarked vehicles too for the first time on highway patrol.

The other thing about the photo radar is they're so prevalent that you have to be really, really unlucky to have an actual person issue you a ticket, so your insurance/points are fine even if you get dinged.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Bringing you doors again, saw a doozie. This guy was clearly t-boned on the passenger side, so he just unbolted both doors. He is driving around in this late 90s Nissan of some sort with a slightly caved in car with no passenger-side doors.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
After spending too many hours dodging bullshit on the streets of LA, found this video that touches my soul. Really living is waiting for delivery trucks to do a 3-point turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-uM2kpa67I

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

Okan170 posted:

After spending too many hours dodging bullshit on the streets of LA, found this video that touches my soul. Really living is waiting for delivery trucks to do a 3-point turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-uM2kpa67I

In the lawless jungle of LA driving, everyone knows that the nicer car always has the right of way - regardless of any actual signage, traffic control devices, k-rail, cones signaling construction zones, speed limits, stop signs, one-way streets, HOV lane demarcations, "No Left Turns", "Tow Away No Stopping Anytime" zones, lane ends - merge right, "Passenger Loading Only", and "Do Not Enter".

Here, have a bus driving into oncoming traffic.

People are always confused when I tell them that in LA there are no traffic laws, only suggestions.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

telarium4 posted:

the nicer car always has the right of way -

HAHAHAHA! gently caress you yield to my 1972 international travelall you lexus driving fucktard! *lays on horn that warbles and squeaks until the steering column catches on fire*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I encountered a brand new Mercedes S class earlier tonight, usually stuff that expensive is pretty immaculate in general but this one was off the lot fresh. No spiderwebs, tires were 100% black, chrome was absolutely brilliant. He indicated to enter my lane, and instead of gunning it to fit into a too-small gap in front of me, actually braked a little bit to slip in behind me.

Quite literally the first time in my life a Mercedes owner has both shown they know what a blinker is and not barged into a lane whether I was there or not. Dude was babying that thing.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Probably their boss's car.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I learned to drive in LA and I still have some of that shark instinct that means if you sense weakness or inattentiveness in other drivers then you have to defeat them by passing.

People pay a lot of attention there in general but have no respect for each other or the laws of man. Whereas the main theme of oakland up in the bay area is not being aware of the possibility of other cars but also not really being in a hurry about it. I got cut off by someone turning right from the lane to my left three times in three days once.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

I encountered a brand new Mercedes S class earlier tonight, usually stuff that expensive is pretty immaculate in general but this one was off the lot fresh. No spiderwebs, tires were 100% black, chrome was absolutely brilliant. He indicated to enter my lane, and instead of gunning it to fit into a too-small gap in front of me, actually braked a little bit to slip in behind me.

Quite literally the first time in my life a Mercedes owner has both shown they know what a blinker is and not barged into a lane whether I was there or not. Dude was babying that thing.

Pro-tip. If you spot one with a V12 badge they didn't outfit those with a turn signal stalk. Factory thought it wasn't necessary.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just had an interaction with a lady in a Jeep Renegade who was mad as hell that I signaled and merged into the generous space in front of her. She held onto her horn for a solid minute even after I merged into the next lane and was no longer her problem.

I don't know if she took it personally or something but I was only in front of her for 10 seconds. Seems like a weird thing to get so infuriated over.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Do you drive an S-class?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Colostomy Bag posted:

Do you drive an S-class?

Nope, Ford Escape. Blending in with the suburban moms.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ah, the aristocrat of the Ford family.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I have a Nissan Rogue as a company car and I think it's probably the most invisible possible vehicle, along with the Escape which we apparently used to issue.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"I killed a guy because I was a reckless asshat, but in a way I'm also a victim!"

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Bicyclist-convicted-in-SF-pedestrian-s-death-13131019.php

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

PT6A posted:

"I killed a guy because I was a reckless asshat, but in a way I'm also a victim!"

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Bicyclist-convicted-in-SF-pedestrian-s-death-13131019.php

I know Cali's prisons are mad overcrowded, but a few years in the clink would have made him a bit less of a whiny bitch baby.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

It clearly is prosecution based on the media. I represented a whole bunch of people who killed people with cars in a much more tough on crime county and unless they were drunk or ran, they were all charged with misdos. I have never seen a sober driver who stayed at the scene charged with a felony.
A felony is way overcharged here. If you want to make killing someone with a vehicle a felony, you have my vote, but you need to do it consistently. Show me all the sober drivers who killed peds and cyclists in SF with felony convictions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’re not wrong, but Bucchere should keep his mouth shut in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ending a human life being a misdo is America as gently caress.