Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Seldom Posts posted:

I used to do this as well.

Also used to do it (more often) with Norm MacDonald's turtle bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYgktWhcCCM (the video improves after a bit--it's not shakey the whole way through)

e: clarity

I've never seen that one before. Norm MacDonald is always awesome when he's riffing.

I've always enjoyed doing a riffed version of "I Will Survive". You can often make it to where the disco kicks before people catch it.

"Well, you know... At first felt a lot of fear. I mean, I was shaking in my boots kind of fear. I was worried that I would never be able to live without you. But, then, after thinking about all the things that you'd done to me. The bad things... I grew strong, I learned how to get along!" (finish with the remainder of the song)

Remember, if they haven't caught the song yet, keep riffing until they do. Once you see the smile, switch to singing. They'll sing along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A page from an teenage girl's school diary circa 1997.

A young adult novel from 1994.

Thank god for hoarders historians.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

the only thing i was really forbidden was playing MtG and D&D because of my rear end in a top hat pastor cousin scaring my mother like it was still the loving 80's. my mom also pushed that pro wrestling was dumb and i shouldn't watch it but i really could have if i wanted to

I've never been into D&D (or any tabletop RPGs for that matter) but I have an abiding memory of getting a lift home from church by a friend's mother one Sunday around the time the D&D movie with Jeremy Irons came out and was treated to an impromptu sermon about how we shouldn't go to see it because THE INTENSE OCCULT TRAINING THROUGH D&D WILL PREPARE YOU TO ACCEPT AN INVITATION TO ENTER A WITCHES' COVEN (though perhaps not in so many words - definitely a lot of guff about how D&D is Satanic).

(Fun piece of trivia which may be true: Gary Gygax, a Christian for much of his life, left a bequest in his will to a Christian charity was declined because they didn't want to accept money from someone with "Satanic connections" or something like that.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

(Fun piece of trivia which may be true: Gary Gygax, a Christian for much of his life, left a bequest in his will to a Christian charity was declined because they didn't want to accept money from someone with "Satanic connections" or something like that.)

Whoever was the executive of his estate must've fumbled their charisma roll :v:.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Satanic Panic of the 80's was still in full force into the 90's. It pretty much evaporated when gangsta rap came onto the scene, but there were still some lingering tendrils surrounding D&D because of Tom Hanks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The late satan panic was all Marilyn Manson poo poo and that evaporated right quick after planes started hitting buildings.

Iron Crowned posted:

there were still some lingering tendrils surrounding D&D because of Tom Hanks.
Mazes and Monsters was mainstream?

I think it was funny that D&D got a cartoon, to be honest. Their main antagonist was basically Dracula Satan too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never been into D&D (or any tabletop RPGs for that matter) but I have an abiding memory of getting a lift home from church by a friend's mother one Sunday around the time the D&D movie with Jeremy Irons came out and was treated to an impromptu sermon about how we shouldn't go to see it because THE INTENSE OCCULT TRAINING THROUGH D&D WILL PREPARE YOU TO ACCEPT AN INVITATION TO ENTER A WITCHES' COVEN (though perhaps not in so many words - definitely a lot of guff about how D&D is Satanic).

That's pretty much the most famous Chick tract ever.

I guess those were more 80s than 90s though. My favorite is "The Death Cookie."

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Aug 3, 2018

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Gygax was also so christian he would actually reprimand people who wished him a happy christmas for celebrating a pagan holiday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

The late satan panic was all Marilyn Manson poo poo and that evaporated right quick after planes started hitting buildings.

I don't really even remember there being that much of a panic around Marilyn Manson though, maybe it was just because I was an edgy teen that didn't really like MM.

FilthyImp posted:

Mazes and Monsters was mainstream?

I don't really know if it was or not at the time. I do remember watching some made for TV movie about a kid who killed his entire family because his DM told him he was a barbarian.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
D&D was the weirdest Satanic Panic. I guess it's just because spells or whatever, but there's plenty of other fantasy that escaped unscathed. Whoever started that panic did a great job, because a lot of my parents' generation still have a deep mistrust of D&D even if they're pretty cool about other stuff.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't really even remember there being that much of a panic around Marilyn Manson though, maybe it was just because I was an edgy teen that didn't really like MM.
It was the first time in a while that middle america could rail against something that wasnt "that damned hippity hoop negro music"
http://www.mtv.com/news/500302/marilyn-mansons-new-lp-banned-by-major-chain-stores/

I remember a lot of it being the Dope Show androgyny suit, and a some of the edgelord stage antics like (I don't remember, probably rubbing his dick on a bible?).

Mazes & Monsters is good if you want to see someone have a psychotic break with reality and go screaming down sewer pipes. But man is it boring.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Harry Potter was the next one

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It owns that pretty much half of America is offended by literally everything, but they call the other half 'snowflakes'.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Quote-Unquote posted:

It owns that pretty much half of America is offended by literally everything, but they call the other half 'snowflakes'.
The telling thing is that they'll sneer at people wanting to not be misgendered or, like, have a baseline respect for others.
But man, you change up the Starbucks holiday cup and all of a sudden it's war.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Lemming posted:

D&D was the weirdest Satanic Panic. I guess it's just because spells or whatever, but there's plenty of other fantasy that escaped unscathed. Whoever started that panic did a great job, because a lot of my parents' generation still have a deep mistrust of D&D even if they're pretty cool about other stuff.

It wasn't really D&D that caused it, it was heavy metal. It was a music that boomers didn't understand, coming out of the ABBAs and Wings of the 70's, the Judas Priests, and Iron Maidens were the opposite.

When boomers were kids you played football or chess. In the 80's the chess dorks listened to Metallica and played D&D instead, and boomers didn't understand it, so it was obviously Satan's fault.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

The telling thing is that they'll sneer at people wanting to not be misgendered or, like, have a baseline respect for others.
But man, you change up the Starbucks holiday cup and all of a sudden it's war.

Yeah exactly

"Would you mind not tying me to a motorcycle and dragging me down a dirt road just because I'm gay?"
"LOL TRIGGERED LIBTARD SNOWFLAKE NEED A SAFE SPACE?!"

"This children's TV show has a new female character in it"
"loving SJW RAPING MY CHILDHOOD RAMMING IT DOWN MY THROAT CENSORING ME!!!!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah exactly

"Would you mind not tying me to a motorcycle and dragging me down a dirt road just because I'm gay?"
"LOL TRIGGERED LIBTARD SNOWFLAKE NEED A SAFE SPACE?!"

"This children's TV show has a new female character in it"
"loving SJW RAPING MY CHILDHOOD RAMMING IT DOWN MY THROAT CENSORING ME!!!!"

It really does baffle me who they somehow have a built in ability to always "win."

"You do realize that when snowflakes come together they can become an avalanche, one of the most destructive forces of nature right?"

"LOL LOOK AT THE TRIGGERED LIBTARD!"

Apparently the latest way to trigger liberal snowflakes is to post pictures of busty women :confused:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

It really does baffle me who they somehow have a built in ability to always "win."
It's not baffling when you just realize they're not concerned with consistency or intellectual honesty.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyway, it's kind of amazing that somehow White Zombie didn't seem to be part of the satanic panic, as they seemed to actively court it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0E0ynyIUsg

There was also that weird grungy, spliced together, found footage type of style for a lot of videos around that time

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's because boomers love Blade Runner

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Speaking of odd 90s panics, what ever happened to the Killer Bees paranoia?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neito posted:

It died with the bees.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neito posted:

The africanized honey bees were routed by colder northern temperatures and certain mountain ranges, so everyone outside of the southwestern deserts stopped giving a poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

It wasn't really D&D that caused it, it was heavy metal. It was a music that boomers didn't understand, coming out of the ABBAs and Wings of the 70's, the Judas Priests, and Iron Maidens were the opposite.

When boomers were kids you played football or chess. In the 80's the chess dorks listened to Metallica and played D&D instead, and boomers didn't understand it, so it was obviously Satan's fault.

I've been studying the evolution of music and it's cool to listen to the decade-by-decade changes.

Music saw relatively few changes for decades or centuries at a time. For most of history, folk songs were folk songs and just varied by region. Classical music made changes, but more subtly. The turn of the 20th century and advent of recording technology that made music available to the masses caused a sort of convergence between the two and introduced new styles like jazz and big band that descended from these combinations of classical and folk, but you saw decades pass with very few changes. Music from the 1920s and the 1940s is extremely similar and even the advent of rock n' roll in the 1950s only provided something new on top of pop music that sounded like the 40s.

The mid to late 1960s is where music suddenly just collides into a wall of LSD. People like Jimi Hendrix and other Woodstock performers were like nothing that had ever been seen before. The early music the Beatles played was honestly just a continuation of 50s rock, but when they started experimenting you got songs like "Eleanor Rigby" and "Helter Skelter". The late 60s is just an explosion of creativity that had never been seen before.

In the 1970s the creativity keeps going and you get stuff like Rush and the first metal bands like Black Sabbath, but it was the 80s that really went nuts. Electronic music and even more extreme forms of metal that had just been experimented with in the late 70s became fleshed out into their own major genres. I can see people who grew up with the changes in music finding the 80s extreme to a frankly uncomfortable degree. The idea of Metallica existing in 1975 is basically impossible, like imagining Jimi Hendrix trying to play the crazy stuff he did in 1955.

I think a lot of the modern idea of pop culture originates in the 80s, when the oldest millennials were born and grew up. Even the millennials in the middle of the age road like myself still grew up with the 80s culture and its descendants.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

That's pretty much the most famous Chick tract ever.

Oh, yeah, of course. Where do you think I got my phrasing? :v:

chitoryu12 posted:

Music from the 1920s and the 1940s is extremely similar and even the advent of rock n' roll in the 1950s only provided something new on top of pop music that sounded like the 40s.

I'm not sure. Rock and roll is important because in coincided with the emergence of the teenager as a distinct sociological concept and the music tapped into that. If you read about the reaction to rock and roll, Little Richard and Chuck Berry and even Elvis Presley, it seems like it was definitely controversial.

It had bubbled under in African-American nightclubs on the Chitlin' Circuit (I would strongly recommend The Chitlin' Circuit and the Road to Rock and Roll by Preston Lauterbach if you're interested) then it all broke out in 1956.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Aug 3, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Neito posted:

Stories about them pop up from time to time in rural parts of Texas, but that is more because someone decided to cut down a tree and didn't deal with the hive of killer bees in it first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, of course. Where do you think I got my phrasing? :v:

I'm not sure. Rock and roll is important because in coincided with the emergence of the teenager as a distinct sociological concept and the music tapped into that. If you read about the reaction to rock and roll, Little Richard and Chuck Berry and even Elvis Presley, it seems like it was definitely controversial.

It had bubbled under in African-American nightclubs on the Chitlin' Circuit (I would strongly recommend The Chitlin' Circuit and the Road to Rock and Roll by Preston Lauterbach if you're interested) then it all broke out in 1956.

The 50s rock explosion was basically the music black people had already been playing suddenly becoming mainstream for white kids and scaring their parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuY6NROhCQw

This song is from 1929. Play it at 1.5x speed and it sounds really similar to 50s rock n' roll. He was a mixed race guy who grew up in the south, recorded some stuff in the 20s and 30s, and died at the age of 43. His contributions to music were mostly unknown until recently and there's very little solid biographical information on him, even a solid date of birth. But this is the kind of music that was getting played in the south.

Now compare that to one of the first definite rock songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdufzXvjqw

What the 50s saw was the same music played with a more aggressive guitar, the use of loud electric guitar as a main instrument, and smaller bands based on blues groups instead of a huge orchestra. If you play "Rock Around the Clock" at 0.75x speed, it's got practically the same progression as "Going to Move to Alabama". Just a little faster.

But rock wasn't the only music in the 50s, either! Pop sounded really similar to the 40s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y22tIJ6toPY

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

From what I remember, the Marilyn Manson panic was in that 99-00 period and rolled into everything else that people were blaming the Columbine massacre on.

I remember gangs being a thing people worried about in the early 90s, because at that time all kids were on drugs and in a gang, at least according to the newscasters running segments showing middle and upper class suburban parents how to search their kid's rooms for drugs and weapons. I remember that some of the "signs" they told people to look for were wearing a hat backwards and wearing a Starter jacket.

That was funny in retrospect, but you also had a bunch of old people touting the need for SWAT teams and harsh mandatory minimum sentencing for drugs because without them gangs of crack dealing black youths would roll into your subdivision and mow down your kids with their honky-slayer 5000 machine guns loaded with toddler seeking bullets. Policies that had no long-term ill effects whatsoever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The_Franz posted:

From what I remember, the Marilyn Manson panic was in that 99-00 period and rolled into everything else that people were blaming the Columbine massacre on.

I remember gangs being a thing people worried about in the early 90s, because at that time all kids were on drugs and in a gang, at least according to the newscasters running segments showing middle and upper class suburban parents how to search their kid's rooms for drugs and weapons. I remember that some of the "signs" they told people to look for were wearing a hat backwards and wearing a Starter jacket.

That was funny in retrospect, but you also had a bunch of old people touting the need for SWAT teams and harsh mandatory minimum sentencing for drugs because without them gangs of crack dealing black youths would roll into your subdivision and mow down your kids with their honky-slayer 5000 machine guns loaded with toddler seeking bullets. Policies that had no long-term ill effects whatsoever.

The episode of "A Very Special Episode" on that 7th Heaven is pretty funny. One of the few shows I subscribe to on Youtube.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The_Franz posted:

honky-slayer 5000

As a white guy who uses the term honky in a regular basis, loving LOL.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Franz posted:

I like how movies like Predator 2 accurately depict what people thought cities were like in the 90's

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

As far as guitar-playing goes, I like to think of Sister Rosetta Tharpe as the true first rock and roll guitarist. :D

quote:

But rock wasn't the only music in the 50s, either! Pop sounded really similar to the 40s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y22tIJ6toPY

Tony Bennett and Mel Tormé were the two guys who always bemoaned that they were born 10 years late and if they'd been a decade older they wouldn't have missed out on the golden age of traditional pop and vocal jazz being the top genres. :v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyway, it's kind of amazing that somehow White Zombie didn't seem to be part of the satanic panic, as they seemed to actively court it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0E0ynyIUsg

There was also that weird grungy, spliced together, found footage type of style for a lot of videos around that time

I don't think White Zombie was on the radar enough at the time. Aside from that the groups that just kind of reveled in it mostly fell under the radar. Heavy metal also wasn't exactly new at the time. Only the most famous acts that people would recognize would get mentioned by name.

As for Manson like was said it was Columbine that really started the controversy on that one. He got blamed for inspiring it even though the shooters didn't even really like his music. Despite that his career was very severely damaged because of how many people went "wow, gently caress that guy." There was some kvetching about Antichrist Superstar because, you know, it had Antichrist right there in the title but by that point even really controversial bands from the past were passe. That and like was mentioned the biggest controversies were generally around rap.

Slayer was a pretty huge controversy in the 80's but by 90's there was an attitude of "meh, just Slayer being Slayer again." Which I think let a lot of even overtly Satanic bands get mostly ignored as far as controversy goes. The attitude after decades of panic over it was "metal bands are just gonna metal." It also turned out that there wasn't a gigantic wave of metal and D&D turning everybody's kids into gay Satanists that would burn your house down with their magic so it was kind of hard to keep that outrage going.

Fun fact: the lead singer of Slayer is actually a devout Catholic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
OH MY GOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbMT5PXCx40

I completely 100% forgot all about this until I stumbled into it today

VERY 90s

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
WELCOME TO WEINERVILLE (with Mark Weiner?)

I’ll never understand why I was allowed to watch this and not, like, other way less disturbing things.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zaphod42 posted:

OH MY GOD

VERY 90s

I have never seen this before, that strikes me as a show where cocaine was involved with a lot of the production.

As others were discussing, there was a weird paranoia about kids joining gangs. And like that was focused on like young kids, I certainly remember seeing ads that were implying like 10 year olds were joining the Crips and Bloods. Not to mention they were always suburban white kids. Its really obviously racist paranoia now, but back then it was taken seriously little jimmy would end up as a gang banger.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how movies like Predator 2 accurately depict what people thought cities were like in the 90's

Cities in the early 90s were way, way more violent than they are now. That was peak crime in America and people were just extrapolating the curve in the direction it was going.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/04/what-caused-the-crime-decline/477408/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zaphod42 posted:

OH MY GOD

VERY 90s

I was in the audience for the taping of a few episodes of Weinerville. It was the summer after 6th grade, and there were several audience reaction shots where I was prominent.

Let's just say I didn't hear the end of that one for a while, and I was a misfit before that. Of course I didn't catch the implications that the kids making fun of me had to have been watching Weinerville in order to spot me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm reasonably certain that 90% of the reason Weinerville existed was to see how many times they could get away with saying "weiner."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Good god the memories are flooding back over that puppet show. I remember absolutely hating that loving show when I was a kid. Looking at Wikipedia I can tell why. Nick apparently used to run the show for 2 hours at a time on Sundays, and then did re-runs every loving day.