Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

This game is going to own.

Uh actually according to the good people at ResetERA and Reddit this game is going to be literally Double Hitler using Kaioken x 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Uh actually according to the good people at ResetERA and Reddit this game is going to be literally Double Hitler using Kaioken x 50

They’re right

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

This was proposed to sega in the wii era and they said no. Weep.

Thought this was fake til I looked it up. Man I hope there's a tiny shot at reviving this concept with the joy-cons someday. Idk how they dropped the ball on capitalizing on a console selling as much as Wii.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Sakurazuka posted:

PSO was a million times more popular than the crusty Megadrive games, that's why they keep going for that route.

Was it really? The first game was Dreamcast exclusive while the remaining games were on the GameCube and Xbox and didn't seem to draw as much as other MMOs.

Waffleman_ posted:

I want a new Jet Set Radio and I wanna be able to use my joycon like a spray can if I wanna
There was a third game in development for the Wii but they cancelled it.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Why don't to they like it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Waffleman_ posted:

I know but I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Like, I just tried out the motions with one of my joycon and it's kinda a good shape to emulate a spray can. Shake it, then use the ZL/ZR button as the nozzle.

Ever play Infamous: Second Son? You do exactly this with a vertical DS4 controller. Works very well, actually.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why don't to they like it?

Nintendo used the phrase “more casual experience” to describe it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nintendo used the phrase “more casual experience” to describe it

Isn't Pokemon already pretty casual as is (at least in single player)?

Being honest though I'm not even sure what this game IS? Is it basically Pokemon Light?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What's wrong with Animal Crossing Pocket Camp that everyone wants it for the Switch, other than playing it on the Switch?

It just seems like a game built for mobile phones where you play it in 3 minute bursts.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hey look it’s me every time I get a new Switch game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Astro7x posted:

What's wrong with Animal Crossing Pocket Camp that everyone wants it for the Switch, other than playing it on the Switch?

It just seems like a game built for mobile phones where you play it in 3 minute bursts.

I think people want a much more fleshed out version, like previous installments.

Also they don't want to live in a camp, they want to live in a loving house that is owned by a corrupt-yet-ignorant raccoon overlord who's too greedy to have time learning about the concept of interest.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Astro7x posted:

What? No one wants that.

They want a new Switch AC game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being honest though I'm not even sure what this game IS? Is it basically Pokemon Light?

It’s basically a remake of RBY.

It comes off as really lazy and phoned in and also somehow costs 80$ after all that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We don't really know much about the new Pokemon game except you can play it while fondling (Poke)balls.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s basically a remake of RBY.

It comes off as really lazy and phoned in and also somehow costs 80$ after all that.
It's good actually.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Cooking pots would become hotly contested as players with ingredients from hunting/monster killing try to cook food/potions that give them a leg up in combat. Open horse combat on the plains as players race to the safe zone with Calamity Ganon closing in. Players taking potshots with bows at each other, hiding behind some rocks as ten Guardians patrol the area they’re in

....hiding from guardians?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doesn't it interact with Pokemon Go?

Speaking of Pokemon Go, what wasted potential.

The game should have had the ability for people to do battles at the start, have the best players in each town in a county be "gym leaders" that others can fight to earn badges from, and every year Nintendo could host an EVO-like tournament where the best players of each region fight to become that year's Elite Four.

No wonder the game died.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's a game designed to bring Pokemon Go players to the Console/RPG universe by making a game that is set in the classic RBY world, using more modern(?) RPG mechanics, focusing on the original 150, and adopting the throw mechanics of Go instead of battling creatures in the tall grass. Also maybe there will be some hints to make it harder to enter a gym battle without a proper comp?

A certain kind of longtime fan, antsy for the 2019 mainline Switch edition, gets really upset at the idea that Nintendo/Game Freak might be dumbing down their super serious franchise about forcing cartoon animals to fight each other.

punk rebel ecks posted:

No wonder the game died.

Pokemon Go has faded from "holy poo poo, no mobile game has ever been this popular before in history" down to mere "this is one of the top performing mobile games still on the market". https://www.wired.com/story/pokemon-go-quiet-steady-dominance/

But boy is it janky, and in desperate need of a more meaningful gameplay loop when it comes to battles.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 3, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It didn’t die. It’s still one of the biggest mobile games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's what they made it sound like. It's a sort-of-remake of Red/Blue/Yellow but with some changes like not having random battles (instead you flick a pokéball at things like in Pokémon Go) and a simple local multiplayer where you walk around together.

It's basically meant to be a way for people who have only played Pokémon Go to get into the main series and a way for people who grew up with the original games to play this with their kids, thus recruiting a new generation to the cult franchise :japan:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes, you can transfer your Pokémon to Pokémon Go (but only to it, not from it I think?)

e: also, they specifically said that the series will get a new "mainline" game in 2019 so even the developers are clear that this is a sort of spin-off

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 3, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

The game should have had the ability for people to do battles at the start, have the best players in each town in a county be "gym leaders" that others can fight to earn badges from, and every year Nintendo could host an EVO-like tournament where the best players of each region fight to become that year's Elite Four.

No wonder the game died.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2018/gaming/news/pokemon-go-2-years-1-billion-1202867409/amp/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

punk rebel ecks posted:

No wonder the game died.

Died? It's still going strong and had year on year growth. It's numbers grew a ton this summer

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The whales just got bigger

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Switch thread stlll awful at reality and financials

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Died? It's still going strong and had year on year growth. It's numbers grew a ton this summer

Okay "died" is a strong word. But while the game successful, it was a cultural phenomenon when it was released.

I feel that Nintendo could have kept that momentum of the game had more meat.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Pokemon Go now has trading and there are commercials advertising that and with the new game integration I bet it has a big resurgence this fall.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I see people playing it all the time on the bus, it's just not the kind of people that talk about games online.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Tae posted:

All of SA stlll awful at reality and financials

Tweaked that a bit for ya there

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay "died" is a strong word. But while the game successful, it was a cultural phenomenon when it was released.

Nintendo is literally not involved

Just take the L and move on.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nintendo isn't in charge of Pokemon GO in any way.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I want PSO on Switch. I don't mean the cloud version of the new one or anything, I mean an unchanged 1:1 port of the GameCube one, complete with anxiety-inducing random memory card corruption. Free russian roulette game with every room you join.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

American McGay posted:

Nintendo isn't in charge of Pokemon GO in any way.

They aren't? How and why?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pokemon Go is a joint venture between Niantic and the Pokemon company. Nintendo owns about 1/3 of the Pokemon company which is a joint venture between Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

They aren't? How and why?
They own 33% of the Pokemon Company. Pokemon GO is developed by The Pokemon Company and developer Niantic. Nintendo gets 17(?)% of all profits from Pokemon GO, but they don't have any other involvement with it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
When Pokenon go first came out and blew up, Nintendo had to put out a press release stating they did not own it, which cause their stock price to go down. :capitalism:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well, Niantic and the Pokemon company aren't bringing Pokemon Go to its fullest potential.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Reality Loser posted:

When Pokenon go first came out and blew up, Nintendo had to put out a press release stating they did not own it, which cause their stock price to go down. :capitalism:
lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Let’s Go is bringing people back to Go. I know I started playing it again because of it and I’ve been pleasantly surprised how it’s changed since.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Yeah, the mons being more clustered around Pokestops is good, raids are ok (rare candies are good), generally the polish of the game is better.

It's not, like, No Man's Sky improvement level, but Go is a decent little game now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's incredibly successful and the updates with raids and quests have made it really fun and given a reason to keep playing every day and feel like you're making progress. Also the gyms work a lot better now and give your a better chance to earn coin without spending money.

I don't think a battle system like the game would improve the game, it would just make that aspect of the game take longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I started playing Go this summer because I bought a Switch and Let's Go is coming out and I'd never played a Pokemon game before in my life and I've been meaning to walk around more so I thought, "Why not give this incredibly popular thing a try?"

It isn't a deep game by any means. The gym battles seem OK but there doesn't seem to be a lot of strategy to it, I've solo'd a few low level raids which are equally dull. But it's fun to collect mons and it's charming AF to get postcards from goons from all over the world of the weird locations Niantic decided to turn into Pokestops.

• Locked thread