Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

The AI chip? My guy who had it kept going crazy, taken over by the AI and shooting poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

nullscan posted:

The AI chip? My guy who had it kept going crazy, taken over by the AI and shooting poo poo up.

That's an AI core, the AI chip is a lot less intense

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You do need to research the AI chips, then they're crafted at the tissue printer, I think? As a stopgap, a brain stimulator will lock consciousness at 60, but you might as well wait until after detox either way. Still, with all those tolerances you're probably going to get liver damage, too, so this may be a 6 million dollar man candidate.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I didn't have any chips but I did try just injecting her with my whole drug stash and it got her on her "feet"

I'm turning her into a marine so she can die in glory.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Actually, does luciferium heal chemical damage, or is it just scars?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Keeshhound posted:

Actually, does luciferium heal chemical damage, or is it just scars?

No but it does boost consciousness which helps get people up and going again.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I normally reserve it for people who I think might die of plague or an infection before they're immune to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DogonCrook posted:

So when you shoot a deer you have to do something with its rear end to keep the intestines from spilling poo poo on the meat. Most people cut around the rear end in a top hat and pull it out and tie it off. Anyways when describing this prcedure ive always heard it described as like coring an apple so imo this procedure on an animal or person is an anal coring.

See I was initially going to suggest someone took a core sampler to the thing's rear end but apparently that's exactly what they did so it's not really a joke.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
See normal Martians abduct cows and rectal-probe humans.

These Martians, on the other hand...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does anyone know exactly how trap memory works in 1.0? As I understood it, before a faction would remember the location of a trap if they saw it go off and survived. But now they can be reinstalled in other places. Also they're completely destroyed on use and have to be rebuilt. Do they remember a trap if it's in a place they knew about but then reinstalled elsewhere? Do they remember a trap position at all if it's destroyed and another one automatically rebuilt in it's place? What if it's not rebuilt, do they still remember that square as having a trap and avoid it even if there's nothing actually there?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I dunno but I'm kind of tired of random wildlife snapping my traps and costing me resources. It was nice it killed that thrumbo though...

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

I didn't have any chips but I did try just injecting her with my whole drug stash and it got her on her "feet"

I'm turning her into a marine so she can die in glory.

She's 67 but can she remember anything but a drugged haze?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"Naked and afraid" mode is a lot of fun.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
What's with colonists just randomly deciding to go through traps despite a non trapped path being available (and just a tiny bit longer)? I've got a guy that managed to get brain damage from triggering some steel caltrops like 10 times. :v:
Ended up solving the issue by just creating some autodoors through a non trapped area but yea, would be nice if that guy didn't somehow fall and impale his head on the caltrops.

Also the WH40k mod and its faction mods may be my favourite addition so far, necrons and tyranids make for a tough endgame and even with tau weapons, getting droppodded by chaos space marines hurts.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Falcorum posted:

What's with colonists just randomly deciding to go through traps despite a non trapped path being available (and just a tiny bit longer)? I've got a guy that managed to get brain damage from triggering some steel caltrops like 10 times. :v:
Ended up solving the issue by just creating some autodoors through a non trapped area but yea, would be nice if that guy didn't somehow fall and impale his head on the caltrops.

Did he rush through them while on a breakdown binge?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Falcorum posted:

This sounds like a chicken or egg scenario. I think maybe the brain damage was inside him all along.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I'm waiting for the official 1.0 release to jump back into the game.

Because if I start now during the unstable build and something massive changes, I gotta learn the game all over again. Not to mention I basically will need to in any case, since it's been a while since I last played.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Did he rush through them while on a breakdown binge?

No, he'd be hauling random crap and just go straight through the traps. Other pawns also did it but this one was the only one triggering the traps. :shrug:

Also I just found out the heavy bolters in this mod fire explosive rounds (as they should) and its changed my base defense strategy entirely. They kind of eat through walls very quickly however.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Hey goons, are there any 1.0 compatible mods like Pawns Are Capable? I'm using a tool mod, and it's kinda silly that my pacifist refuses to use a laptop.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

T-man posted:

Hey goons, are there any 1.0 compatible mods like Pawns Are Capable? I'm using a tool mod, and it's kinda silly that my pacifist refuses to use a laptop.

Technology is violence.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What mod lets me anally core people? I'm legit curious.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
A complete shot in the dark, but the whole rectal coring thing reminds me of shitweasels from Dreamcatcher.

Incidentally, that would be both an utterly horrifying mod and a reason to always embark on an ice sheet.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm still waiting for a mod that models the lifecyles of xenomorphs. I want to worry about my colonists being carried off to be added to the hive or having an alien burst through someone's chest.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm still waiting for a mod that models the lifecyles of xenomorphs. I want to worry about my colonists being carried off to be added to the hive or having an alien burst through someone's chest.

One of Jcrell's mods adds an encounter where a giant sinkhole opens up and the creature inside demands a sacrifice or it will psychically assault your colony. If you give them the sacrifice and don't fill in the hole immediately, the sacrifice will be returned, but with a "strange worms" infection, that will eventually result in a cthonian larvae bursting out of them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
After a weekend of play, I can't figure out which of these events is the most ridiculous:

--A grown-rear end man picked a fight with an old guy with one leg and somehow knocked himself the gently caress out. He eventually woke up and picked another fight with a rat, which promptly tore his throat out.

--A pregnant sow kicked the rear end of a Centipede war robot without even taking a scratch.

--A tame squirrel died of a crack overdose.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That is one bad rear end pig

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

One of Jcrell's mods adds an encounter where a giant sinkhole opens up and the creature inside demands a sacrifice or it will psychically assault your colony. If you give them the sacrifice and don't fill in the hole immediately, the sacrifice will be returned, but with a "strange worms" infection, that will eventually result in a cthonian larvae bursting out of them.

Oh is that what that's supposed to do? I always just fired mortars into the hole until it hosed off and it never talked to me.

I feel like cthulhu didn't reckon on investigators having artillery support.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 6, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You can also just shoot it until the adult cthonian jumps out and then shoot the hell out of it, too. But yeah, if you've got a prisoner, you can toss them in and get a fairly beefy attack worm (they're born allied to your faction.)

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Just got this game as an easier Dwarf Fortress and it's pretty great. I started near some streams because I thought water might be useful, but I'm about to finish the first year and haven't needed it for anything. What am I missing?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Power generation is what it can be used for.

But you're right, the game should simulate water needs as well as food.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

OwlFancier posted:

Oh is that what that's supposed to do? I always just fired mortars into the hole until it hosed off and it never talked to me.

I feel like cthulhu didn't reckon on investigators having artillery support.

dr mcninja taught us that horrors like that can be lulled back to sleep with concussive blasts

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Man, is that comic still going? I drifted off for some reason after Dracula moon and forgot about it til this day.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
no actually, hastings brought it to a close last year when he got hired by Marvel full time to do the Gwenpool comic, which was apparently too pure for this world

the ending of Dr Mcninja is bittersweet, but it's also as good as you could hope for considering the run-up to it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Finally was about to get my boreal forest colony on a sustainable path, having added a decent geothermal-powered hydroponic rice farm after 2 difficult winters. First was mostly okay after shooting most of the wildlife for meat, but the second got really lean towards the end, and everyone started eating corpses.

Expected to have tons of food stocks from the non-hydroponic corn and potato fields after summer, right before Randy decided to call in volcanic winter about 80% of the way through the main growing season--right after two major raids.

This game really does have a way of making me put it away for the night.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Finally was about to get my boreal forest colony on a sustainable path, having added a decent geothermal-powered hydroponic rice farm after 2 difficult winters. First was mostly okay after shooting most of the wildlife for meat, but the second got really lean towards the end, and everyone started eating corpses.

Expected to have tons of food stocks from the non-hydroponic corn and potato fields after summer, right before Randy decided to call in volcanic winter about 80% of the way through the main growing season--right after two major raids.

This game really does have a way of making me put it away for the night.

Cool, this just happened to me too except with Phoebe, so I wasn't expecting that. Ran out of food in winter and then volcanic winter right after, so everyone is about to starve to death. I opened some dangers for fun and enjoyed dying to bugs too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

Cool, this just happened to me too except with Phoebe, so I wasn't expecting that. Ran out of food in winter and then volcanic winter right after, so everyone is about to starve to death. I opened some dangers for fun and enjoyed dying to bugs too.

Pro tip, do not use any storyteller except Randy, because unless they changed it, all the other ones will actively escalate their attacks until you die, the only difference between them is how often they can try to do it.

Randy might still kill you, but the other storytellers will kill you, it's just a matter of time, because they're trying to force you off the planet or out of your settlement.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I do Phoebe for the first year or so and then switch.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does anyone know exactly how trap memory works in 1.0? As I understood it, before a faction would remember the location of a trap if they saw it go off and survived. But now they can be reinstalled in other places. Also they're completely destroyed on use and have to be rebuilt. Do they remember a trap if it's in a place they knew about but then reinstalled elsewhere? Do they remember a trap position at all if it's destroyed and another one automatically rebuilt in it's place? What if it's not rebuilt, do they still remember that square as having a trap and avoid it even if there's nothing actually there?

What

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's pretty awful how traps have been nerfed.

I had only just started using them for literally the first time ever in 1.0, just before he started the trapocalypse, and was super bummed out about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well I saw that one coming from a mile away, traps as they were are totally against tynan's design philosophy of forcing you off the planet. But don't worry there'll be a mod.