Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

avshalemon posted:

:kimchi:

does she just draw existing characters or does she make her own? if she's making her own, that's very cool and you should encourage that! (if she just does existing characters, that's also cool!)

based on my own memories of being eight, you should give her as much encouragement as possible and tell her everything she does is amazing, because that'll make her more confident about her art and then she'll be more inclined to show it off at school. kids that age get really enthusiastic when one of their classmates can draw, and if there are other creative kids in her class they'll probably end up grouping together and all egging each other on (hopefully with support from the teachers, although sadly you can't always count on that). she's the wrong age right now to hear criticisms or ways to make her art "better" - she'll be ready for that at about 11-12, probably - so right now the best thing to do is give her heaps of positive feedback and try to find her some artsy friends. if you can find a nice-natured older kid, like three or four years older, who draws the same sort of stuff well and is happy to let her have a look at their work, that'll really inspire her too.

my other suggestion is to give her lots of stuff to work with. so plenty of cartoons, comics (eastern and western), movies, and books. non-illustrated books are really important because when they capture her interest she'll start trying to draw stuff from them too, and because she has to make it up from her imagination rather than copying something already drawn, it works different parts of the brain. it'll also encourage her to start trying to draw scenes rather than just characters standing in a void, which is important because scenes include other stuff (furniture, trees, buildings, action poses etc) that she might not be that interested in studying otherwise but that learning to draw will really help her.

finally, whatever you do, keep her away from the internet or she'll grow up to be a sex pest. i hope this helps!

She does a bit of both. She'll use a reference photo (from like a pokemon card or one of my old magic cards I gave her) and draw from that, and sometimes just make her own characters. It's pretty dang cute.

She DEFINITELY needs encouragement, I agree. She gets frustrated sometimes when her art isn't 'perfect' and will destroy it and it makes me super sad. I always talk about how great she is and how she is wayyyyyyyy better than me when I was even older than her. Well, to be fair she's better than i am now. My wife is the graphic design artist. It helped a bit because we had tons of old materials for her to use, easels and charcoals and fancy inks.

She's a voracious book reader, and I agree that stuff helps. Right now she's really into Wings of Fire, and draws her own characters from them all the time. I also get her good graphic novels like Mouse Guard and Monstress.

Thanks for the advice, thread :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah it's hard to be specific about this. I saw one picture of a dark foggy path with dark trees on either side. The reverse of that would be a light, welcoming path if I could have found it. Again, a dark mountain with storms or a bright mountain with streams. Lightning storms or clear skies. I'm pretty open. Just like... no anime or anything like that. In fact I'd like to avoid humans altogether and just have some sort of natural phenomena or landscapes or something.

I don't know, I'm an idiot. I was looking on allposters.com and redbubble.com previously without much luck and those seem to be pretty big sites. I'll look some more. I haven't looked for storms yet.

There's this guy, not quite what you want but close? You can buy a high res image for a few bucks I think.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat. That's not quite the image I was looking for but holy poo poo the message is on point.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What are some decent permanent markers for drawing and Keynote/Powerpoint-type writing and illustrations?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

drat. That's not quite the image I was looking for but holy poo poo the message is on point.

You may just want to google "Amazing Panoramic Shots" and see what clicks for you, and then have it made into a poster at your local office supplies store, like Staples. That way you don't have some photoshopped monstrosity and can get the size you like.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ooo that's a good idea. I never even thought of using pictures or panoramic shots at an office supplies store.

Hell, I didn't even know they could do that.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This is really helping.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, I finally found something online that I think might work.

Looking into these maybe:

eh poo poo, can't get them to load into imgur

Thunderstorm

Buddhist Landscape 1

Buddhist Landscape 2

All are the same size, or same ratio.

edit: I love the color contrast between the Thunderstorm and the Temple 2, but I have really bad trypophobia and the temple tops kinda... make me ill. It's not too bad though but I don't want it to pop up when I look at it. Bah, but the colors are so great. I wonder if I could get over it or just get Temple 1.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 10, 2018

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I'm trying to print some booklets through InDesign. When I use "print to booklet" and save as postscript, the pages are shifted to the right when I open it, despite the preview looking normal and me selecting "centre" in the settings.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I am bankrupt and am desperate enough to sell lovely adoptables and such online. I've never done this before, how do most people get/take payments for online commissions? Is there a good way to cover your own rear end so you're not easily linked with the sales if you want to keep your professional artwork separated? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't want to dig through the whole thread.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Not sure, but I figured someone here might have experience with Comicpress. Starting up a webcomic and I'm running into an issue that I'm sure has an embarrassingly easy answer, but I'm not finding it.

Comics posted in the archive look just fine, but the front page shows the latest comic as a thumbnail which needs to be clicked in order to show the full comic page. Anyone know how to get this to full size by default on the home page?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Have you set the image as "featured images" in comicpress? That's all I can think of, I only use it in a "I guess it's just about good enough" way.

As to selling adoptables, no idea, but I'd try looking at how someone popular does it, and steal their ideas.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm trying to figure out which weight of hot press watercolor paper to get for a project. The artwork I plan on doing is going to be 11x14 inches. I think that 140lb paper is fine for smaller formats and 300lb is better for bigger projects but is more expensive.

Is 140lb good enough for that suze or would it be better to go with a heavier weight? I normally paint on 22x30 and go big with 300lb paper, but this project is going to use up many sheets of paper and I need to figure out how much all that paper is going to cost.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Star Man posted:

I'm trying to figure out which weight of hot press watercolor paper to get for a project. The artwork I plan on doing is going to be 11x14 inches. I think that 140lb paper is fine for smaller formats and 300lb is better for bigger projects but is more expensive.

Is 140lb good enough for that suze or would it be better to go with a heavier weight? I normally paint on 22x30 and go big with 300lb paper, but this project is going to use up many sheets of paper and I need to figure out how much all that paper is going to cost.

Kinda depends on your style though, right? Are you really heavy handed with the brush and water? Like, is it going to be saturated? Or do you dab? Some artists use the medium in different ways.

Plus, you're comfortable with the heavier weight. Would your style transfer to that thinner paper?

You could always stick with what you know and cut your sheets down to size.

Basically, your style/comfort-level should dictate (in my opinion ).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think it's mainly an issue of expense. 300lb paper costs a lot more than 140lb paper does.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Get some test 140 (ask if they've got any spoils), try it out. The best lesson I learnt from my Fancy Book Lernin was 'do test pieces before getting everything ready for the main work'. Always try poo poo out to see what goes wrong before you set in on your masterpiece. If in doubt, it's better to spend a bit much rather than trash a day's work.

For that size I use 220gsm... wait... jesus wtf is wrong with america and standardisation... I think that's about 140lbs (if it's a wednesday and you're a libra), and that works well for me. I'm a very light touch with watercolours.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeah, I figured that I should get a block of 140lb/300gsm paper and see what happens. I know that I'm a pretty wet painter, but I can adjust that by being mindful of how much water I use.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Illustrator CC on a Mac — is there a way to change the default typeface? Every new document, I have to switch from Myriad Pro. Usually to Helvetica Regular.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Illustrator CC on a Mac — is there a way to change the default typeface? Every new document, I have to switch from Myriad Pro. Usually to Helvetica Regular.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/illustrator/using/fonts.html#Changethedefaultfont

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I suck at coloring and I don't even know where to start. Googling how to learn how to color drawings sent me into a deep hole, I feel like I'm missing something. Any pointers would be appreciated! (Especially coloring with Photoshop)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lay down flats then clip a rendering layer on top and go wild with shading and lighting.

Real nebulous question otherwise tbh. Can you pinpoint what exactly you seem to be hung up on in regards to coloring?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
A page late, but is Boris Vallejo why a good chunk of modern fantasy art is vaguely sexy?

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Serenade posted:

A page late, but is Boris Vallejo why a good chunk of modern fantasy art is vaguely sexy?
no that's just the natural lusts of the flesh

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

rear end posted:

I suck at coloring and I don't even know where to start. Googling how to learn how to color drawings sent me into a deep hole, I feel like I'm missing something. Any pointers would be appreciated! (Especially coloring with Photoshop)

First, make your image greyscale.

Then go into the channels panel and drag your grey channel to the "new layer" icon to duplicate it. Then change your image back to CMYK/RGB.

Now you can colour!

You can also put your lineart in a layer above your colouring layer and set the lineart layer to "Multiply". I usually save this part for the very end.

Once I have my flat colours down, I will duplicate that layer for rendering. It's much easier to colour when you can easily select objects from the "flats" layer.

If you want to go more in depth into colouring, you can check out the Gutterzombie forums where some pros post. There are some good tutorials on there. Even flatting tutorials! I used to flat professionally for some of the people there, but it's not as busy as it used to be.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
I purchased what is basically a fence post top made of redwood that's shape is best described as a sphere with a base. I want to do a painting on it (it'll live inside, not actually on a fence) and from what I've read I need to add at the minimum a primer layer or two.. but then I did more reading on softwoods that mentioned needing to use a sealant... then I did more reading that said the primer (gesso) will act as a sealant... so I'm kind of not sure what to get to use as the priming layers for this type of shape and wood. Would appreciate some opinions on what to buy.

Edit: Here's a link to it https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-4-in-Redwood-Round-Post-Cap-01420/100053843

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 3, 2018

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

fallenturtle posted:

I purchased what is basically a fence post top made of redwood that's shape is best described as a sphere with a base. I want to do a painting on it (it'll live inside, not actually on a fence) and from what I've read I need to add at the minimum a primer layer or two.. but then I did more reading on softwoods that mentioned needing to use a sealant... then I did more reading that said the primer (gesso) will act as a sealant... so I'm kind of not sure what to get to use as the priming layers for this type of shape and wood. Would appreciate some opinions on what to buy.

Gesso is used to protect the wood and paint from each other and will act as a base layer of sealant yes. Any additional Sealant people say to use is most likely to preserve the paint on top from outdoor weather, which you most likely won't need if it's just going to be inside.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Serenade posted:

I blame Frank Frazetta, personally.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I want to replace my photo CFLs with LEDs (Edison socket). I'm using a combination of Kaezi 85W 5500K (don't know lumens) and smaller Pro-Start 23W 5000K at 1600 lumens. I need the smaller bulbs to fit my smaller housings.

What are my best options? I know almost nothing about using LEDs for studio photography. I am looking for white light. The brighter, the better.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I got a 2 in 1 laptop and am having fun learning digital art with a stylus, where I have just used a mouse before. I have Photoshop and SketchBook which are great for sitting down and trying to make art with.

I am looking for a program that acts more like an actual sketchbook. I want something I can jot ideas on, hopefully with color and stuff, but it doesn't need to have a lot of editing options. I want something where I can put ideas down fast and easy and then flip through them quickly to see what I have done in the past while getting smoother with using the stylus.

Any suggestions? When I google it, mostly Autodesk Sketchbook comes up, or all the other more full featured programs.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What OS?

https://www.madewithmischief.com/mischief for windows/mac might work for you?

lofi fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 17, 2018

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Some friends and I have all seen this exact portrait a billion times and we can not figure out who the hell it is. Can anyone identify this, and if so can you provide a link to the original?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Lori posted:

Some friends and I have all seen this exact portrait a billion times and we can not figure out who the hell it is. Can anyone identify this, and if so can you provide a link to the original?

I haven't seen that particular portrait, but he has the look and imagery of the first Duke of Marlborough; although I don't know if the iconography of the red cape is specific to him or the Churchills, or something more generic. If it's not him then it'll be someone else English from the late 17th-early 18th century.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lori posted:

Looks a bit like Philip V (of Spain) to me and the red would then make a lot of sense.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Does anyone know where I can find some reference images of varied body types? Most of the stuff I can find online is model / gym bunny physique, I'm looking for more... normal.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

lofi posted:

Does anyone know where I can find some reference images of varied body types? Most of the stuff I can find online is model / gym bunny physique, I'm looking for more... normal.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

lofi posted:

When I was browsing art instruction books, I saw at least two that were life-drawing style reference books. So, page after page of naked people with different builds. Try your local Chapters or whatever.

Nekked!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lots of medical anatomical guides will have full body illustrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

croquis cafe is ok for online figure drawing

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thankyou all. I hadn't really considered hardcopy, I'm more after files to use with my nifty picture-viewer app.

:downs:

Jimmysip
Aug 27, 2012
I'm trying to make some box frames with a watercolour background and a papercut floating in front stuck to the glass but I'm having difficulty getting the paper to stick without the glue discolouring it. It's tricky because the glue is right in front of the paper so it needs to be almost invisible. Anyone have any ideas on sticking paper to glass this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Clear acrylic gesso?