Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bradzilla posted:

I also just found out that donated blood is sold and makes soulsucking corporations rich to the tune of $300 a pint.

:suicide:

http://www.locksoflove.org/

This organization gives you free haircuts and donates your hair to make wigs for chemo patients*

*only like 10% of the hair actually gets to patients, the rest gets sold to companies who make wigs for profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

the year is 2040, hair is in high demand and coproratiojns will do whatever it takes to cornrow the market

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

bradzilla posted:

jfc

I also just found out that donated blood is sold and makes soulsucking corporations rich to the tune of $300 a pint.

:suicide:

Isn't the story about rich assholes getting supposedly life-prolonging transfusions from young people toiling under student debt, like, at least a few years old by now?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

Isn't the story about rich assholes getting supposedly life-prolonging transfusions from young people toiling under student debt, like, at least a few years old by now?

there's some corp out there that will give you young people blood for $$$$

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Isn’t that actually an incredible part of capitalism because it basically does nothing but you get to charge rich assholes a bunch of money for it? I mean, ideally the bunch of money should go to the young blood donors

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

Isn’t that actually an incredible part of capitalism because it basically does nothing but you get to charge rich assholes a bunch of money for it? I mean, ideally the bunch of money should go to the young blood donors

the young blood donors get a cookie and the boot

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pirate Radar posted:

lol, they won't buy straight from you

and they sure as hell won't let you negotiate the price

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

a blood transfusion is not without risks and to get one without a medical indication is idiotic and should be illegal

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Dave Concepcion posted:

a blood transfusion is not without risks and to get one without a medical indication is idiotic and should be illegal

Maybe the rich will get some campus STI as a consequence of their bloodlust.

School Nickname has issued a correction as of 14:58 on Aug 3, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Dave Concepcion posted:

no its ok because money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Skypie posted:

On the way to work this morning listening to the BBC program that was on the radio. It was about all the violence and protests on Nicaragua and the intro line was "But how is the economy doing? And what can businesses do to ease the problems?"

:wtf:

Yesterday NPR did a program on the private prisons that house detained immigrants except the program was focused on the small town the private prisons were based in and how the town had nearly dried up and even the wal-mart had left but then the wonderful generous private prison corporations came in and employed people out of the kindness of their hearts and now the town's doing fine again, hooray!

They occasionally touched on different problems with the prisons, like how one of them was literally torched by people detained there in 2015 because it was so poorly managed, but kept coming back to this plucky little town that was given a second chance at the american dream thanks to our wonderful private prison system.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dave Concepcion posted:

Actually when the person receiving it is Peter Thiel it should be encouraged, so he gets a fatal blood clot as fast as possible.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Pantene has a program that is supposedly much better and doesn't actually sell the hair, although I wouldn't be surprised if shady poo poo happens there too.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
♫We want the young blood♫

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

gey muckle mowser posted:

Pantene has a program that is supposedly much better and doesn't actually sell the hair, although I wouldn't be surprised if shady poo poo happens there too.

Pantene Beautiful Lengths for the curious. I haven't found any dirt but I haven't looked very hard. For now, use it instead of Locks of Love.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I've heard good things about Wigs for Kids; haven't actually looked into it myself but it's probably better than Locks of Love.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Now I don't feel bad about not donating to Locks of Love when I hacked off a foot of hair a few years ago

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scary! posted:

♫We want the young blood♫

♫and we dont care about the old blood
Talking bout the old blood too♫

*whistling*

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I still lol every day when people consistently conflate collectivism with nonprofits like they're actually solely interested in the public good, they're literally the tax free version of being a wall street banker for the greatest public good

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

clone on the phone posted:

the year is 2040, hair is in high demand and coproratiojns will do whatever it takes to cornrow the market

please donate some of these :five: posts so I can distribute them to the less creative

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dave Concepcion posted:

Don't worry, it doesn't actually have any health benefits and it puts them at risk for strokes, aneurysms and other possible causes of death.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Wow, that's actually disgusting.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Most charities seem to be huge scams. Good thing I can write off donations to them

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

A solid jpg post in a desolate land of text.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Remember when Thomas Piketty independently confirmed everything Marx said about Capitalism, and then had to twist himself into knots to not agree with Marx's obvious conclusion that Capitalism must be abolished? Yes surely this time we can fix the problem with taxes if we just ask the rich nicely enough.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

:thunk:

Well I'm stumped. Surely employers would want to make sure viable employees get their works worth of payment??!

E: I like how employee pay just tapers off and the other line is almost textbook exponential growth.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Burn down the bookstore to save the books?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kylemuzyka/status/936010941996642307

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
in no way to defend Starbucks et. al, but the reason for banning plastic straws is not to save on plastic, it's because straws gently caress up animals due to their shape

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Serak posted:

in no way to defend Starbucks et. al, but the reason for banning plastic straws is not to save on plastic, it's because straws gently caress up animals due to their shape

They don't get hosed up by plastic bags?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Those also are flavored straws from years ago

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Apparently you can have a stomach full of bags and sorta cruise along fine, but straws do not play nice with tracheas.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Serak posted:

The specific reasoning I've heard is that the machinery that sorts plastic in recycling and garbage can't handle straws, they just fall through or something, so even if you recycle them they almost always wind up getting dumped in the landfill anyway

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

♫and we dont care about the old blood
Talking bout the old blood too♫

*whistling*

We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. Fear the old blood.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ate all the Oreos posted:

The specific reasoning I've heard is that the machinery that sorts plastic in recycling and garbage can't handle straws, they just fall through or something, so even if you recycle them they almost always wind up getting dumped in the landfill anyway

If they'd just go into landfill there wouldn't be an issue.

But that applies to all litter-ally :v: all solid pollution so eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

someone remind me what the guillotine emote is